[F17 - SP] Depression <<Challenge of Olympus: Blacksmith>>

Spoiler

Koga
Level: 21
Health: 420
Energy: 42
DMG: 9 // EVA: 2 // MIT: 0 // ACC: 2 // BRN: 12 // BLT: 12 // FALN: 2 // REGN: 5 // RECV: 1

Skills

>> Rank 1 Curved Sword
>> Rank 5 Katana
>> Rank 1 Familiar Mastery: Fighter
>> Rank 0 Survival

Equipment
>> Tier One Demonic Katana <<Jack's Kuiaratame>> [Burn // Blight // Cursed // Fallen]
>> 
Tier One Perfect Light Armor <<Shaded Coat>> [Evasion // Evasion // Regeneration]
>> Tier One Perfect Trinket <<Tearful Strands>> [Accuracy // Accuracy // Recovery]

Koga had kinda lost track of how long it had been since he and Noctua had their fight. Well, more to the point, their break-up. Koga had been a bit of a mess since then, floating somewhere between aggressive loner and suicidal soldier. He'd stopped caring, is really what it was. He existed simply for the sake of existing now. The only reason he hadn't tried to off himself yet was really only because he was too stubborn to go out like that. So here he was, existing, living each day because there was nothing else he could do.

When Koga had gotten up this morning, that was pretty much par for the course. The man had opened his eyes and stared at the plain wooden ceiling of his forge. He wasn't sure why, but Koga had opened his notification. Not that he expected any messages or anything of the sort. The man scrolled aimlessly, until, near the bottom, he noticed something that had been buried in the bottom. A rare quest on the 17th Floor? Well...it wasn't like Koga had anything better to do.

Edited by Koga
Spoiler

Koga: HP: 420/420 // EN: 42/42 // DMG: 9 // EVA: 2 // MIT: 0 // ACC: 2 // BRN: 12 // BLT: 12 // FALN: 2 // REGN: 5 // RECV: 1

"Well aren't you just the sorriest sod, I've ever seen!"
"Ah! The hell?" Koga jumped as no sooner had he teleported onto Floor 17 did a Satyr stick his face in Koga's and begin accosting him.
"Ey, don't swear at me," insert a Greek curse there. I dunno what, have fun with it though. And then throw in Koga cursing him in Greek in return. What? The guy grew up speaking the language!
The satyr blinked a couple of time at Koga in surprise before breaking into a huge grin, "Well, you may not look like you're from the Mother Land but you sure got the mouth to be! So, what brings you up here brother? Wait, no don't tell me, you're uhhhh, you're here to eat some melomakarona!"
"No...I'm here for this quest...something about challenging Hephaestus? Ya know. God of the Forge. Big ass hammer. The whole nine," Koga deadpanned back to the goat-legged creature.
"Right, right! Good ol Hephy!" ...did...did this Satyr really call him 'Hephy'? "Lemme take you to him," the Satyr offered, gesturing for Koga to follow him. Warily, the Swordsman did as he was told, hand gripping the saya of his weapon. He was well aware of the reputation of Satyrs...no way in hell he was gonna let this one catch him with his pants down...

(Melomakarona is a Greek cookie covered in honey, they're delicious)

Spoiler

Koga: HP: 420/420 // EN: 42/42 // DMG: 9 // EVA: 2 // MIT: 0 // ACC: 2 // BRN: 12 // BLT: 12 // FALN: 2 // REGN: 5 // RECV: 1

Well, the Satyr was indeed leading Koga up to a giant mountain. That was good at least. But Christ, this guy wouldn't stop talking. Catcalling Nypmhs, trying to convince Koga he was a close personal friend of all pretty much the entire Greek Pantheon. Koga was about ready to blow his brains out.

"So, enough about me."
'Finally...'
"Tell me 'bout yaself. What's got ya lookin' so down, ey? Mia koritsi effige?" (A girl left ya?) The Satyr laughed to himself. Yeah, real funny guy.
"What's it to you?" Koga replied shortly. He was not in the mood to be talking about this with a Satyr. Least of all this one in particular.
"Eh, just trying to keep up a conversation, keep things lively ya know?"
"I'd just like to get to Hephaestus, please and thank you."
The Satyr stared at the man with a mixture of confusion and a little bit of hurt, as if Koga had just insulted him. "Yeah, whatever. We're almost there."

Spoiler

Not long after, the two humanoids stood at the foot of the mountain. A great cave opened yawned before them, and from within it, the bright orange glow of a forge shining within its great gaping maw. "Hey, Hephy! You in there you one-eyed freak?!" Oh god...This Satyr was gonna get Koga killed wasn't he?
"Alexandros? Is that you, you drunk mountain goat?" a deep voice rumbled back...there was no way. A shadow threw itself across the cave walls as a man approached the mouth of the cave. He was shrouded in shadow, but clearly well-built, from centuries, probably millennia and more of working the bellows, the anvil and forge.
"Alexandros! It is you!" the man said as he drew closer with a hearty laugh. The Forge God pulled the Satyr in to a tight embrace, clapping the man on the back. Koga couldn't believe it. This Satyr actually was close friends with a god. The god wore long hair and a beard, and, to be quite frank, was not an especially attractive man. More than that, he favored his left leg. If Koga had to take a guess, the god had a lame leg. The dev's wasted no expense on making this god accurate to the Greek mythos, that was for sure. The god then turned to look at Koga, eyeing him up and down. "So Alexandros. You brought me another one I see!"

Spoiler

"That's right Hephy. Looks like another prospective smith! A bit of a stick in the mud, this one, but I got a good feeling about him," the Satyr answered the Forge God. Koga just rolled his eyes and let the two continue.
"So, another smith looking to make a name for himself, is that it? Well, tell you what, beat me in a contest, and I'll give you my hammer. That'll certainly give you quite the edge against your competition, eh?" the god told Koga with a cock-sure grin.
"Alright, what's the challenge," the man responded, less fired up than he would normally sound at the prospect of a competition.
"Well, that's quite simple," Hephaestus replied, "whoever crafts the better sword wins."
"I can stay and be the judge, who does that sound?" the Satyr offered.
"Sounds good to me. Let's get started," Koga said, offering his hand to the god who took it and gave a firm shake in agreement before turning around and shouting into the cavern, "Fire up the forges!"

Spoiler

To say that Hephaestus' set up was impressive would be an understatement. Although everything was simple, with no elaborate burnishing or engravings, the quality was extraordinary. Koga had never seen anything like that, and his own humble set up in the back of his store paled in comparison. Hephaestus simply smiled as Koga stared in awe. "Alright, best get to work my boy. We've only got a couple days."

Koga set to work immediately, running up to the pile of materials. The man began to sift through the ore, he already knew what he was going to craft. He could only use metal of the highest quality though. The man searched and searched, his hands becoming black with soot as he did so. And then there it was. Several chunks of ore, dark and dirtied, but Koga knew, that was it. The man picked the metals up and turned them over in his hands. Yeah...that was it.

A flash of a memory went through his mind. The first time he'd crafted anything in this game. The man shook his head, trying to push the memory out of his mind. He had work to do.

Spoiler

The man set the ore into the fire, smelting it down into ingots. The bits of metal slowly liquefied, scale and slag collecting on the top as Koga watched it with a careful eye. Off on the other side of the cavern, Hephaestus too had set to work, and already he seemed satisfied. The man turned back to his metal, an seeing that it was ready, he pulled it from furnace and began to poor it into the cast. The heat washed over Koga, and again memories flooded back towards him, different memories this time. Memories of a different world.

Masato stared up into the hot summer sky. How long had they been standing out here? Koga lost track. Hours, at least. "Hey, Mas, do you think SAO will have a samurai class?" Hikaru asked for about the thousandth time. "Beats me man, we don't even know that the game will have classes."
"I'd be surprised if SAO removed classes. It's kind of a landmark of MMOs, right?" Tsuki asked.
"Yup!" Hikaru replied enthusiastically, "All sorts too. So I'd be kinda surprised if they didn't have a samurai class, or at least introduce it later in the game."
"If you know that, why do you always bother asking me?" Masato asked his friend.
"To annoy you, of course."

Spoiler

Koga pulled the ingot from the forge and laid the cherry red metal atop the anvil. The clanging of hammers echoed from the cave as both he and Hephaestus worked the metal. The Swordsman drew out the metal, but did not shape it. Instead, he folded it, and put the metal back into the furnace. Again he pulled it from the flames, laid it atop the anvil, drew it out, and folded it. And he would continue to do this an innumerable amount of times. Hephaestus will have moved on to sharpening his weapon long before Koga even began to shape hit metal.

Every strike of the hammer echoed words in the man's mind though. Words from today, yesterday, and years ago.

"Well aren't you just the sorriest sod, I've ever seen!"

"I-I'm so sorry."

"Guys, look! We're in Aincrad!"

"I just missed you so much..."

"It's beautiful Koga. Thank you."

"Promise me we'll make it out of here Masato. Promise me!"

"I didn't know that she was two timing me."

"I guess this is where we part ways for good..."

"Good-bye..."

Clang!

Koga's hammer struck steel one more time. That was enough...that was enough. The man angrily threw the steel back into the furnace, breathing heavily. He wiped sweat from his brow and stared at the flames. How had everything gone so wrong? Everything had gone so, so wrong.

Edited by Koga
Spoiler

Koga pulled the hot steel and set it upon the anvil again. In the distance he could see Hephaestus sharpening his blade, just as Koga had expected. The man began to strike the steel, giving shape to the blade, the tang. The blade itself took form under Koga's attentive care as a thousand other things ran through his mind.

"What the hell? Did Hikaru just DC?" Koga asked Venus.
"I guess? Or his parents got mad at him again and unplugged his NerveGear."
"Off, I can't imagine that's a pleasant experience. Maybe I should log real quick and check if he sent us message?"
"Sure, I'll wait for you here. Don't take too long though! Might leave you in the dust otherwise," Venus agreed with a sly smile. Koga just rolled his eyes with an amused smile as he brought up his menu. Except..."Hey, is it me or is the logout button missing?"
"Hmm? No it's right her- Masato, it's gone for me too. Should we be worried?"
Masato blinked in astonishment. "I-I dunno. Can't imagine this is good for the devs. They're probably scrambling to fix everything. Actually, why didn't they just boot everyone from the servers and-"
The two players suddenly found themselves back at the Town of Beginnings. We all know what happened next. The GM gives his announcement. Everyone panics. Tsukiko turned to her friend, "Masato, you gotta promise me, we're gonna make it out of this right?"
"I- I can't do that Tsu-"
"Promise me we'll make it out of here Masato," the girl shouted at him, "Promise me!"
The silence from Masato was drowned out by the cacophony from those around them. This was real...this was real wasn't it?
"I promise."

Masato never should have uttered those words.

Hisssss!

The sound of water quenching steel erupted in Koga's ears as he wiped sweat away again, a mask to cover up the tears he knew drew streaks down his dust covered face. He never should've made that promise.

Edited by Koga
Spoiler

Koga: HP: 420/420 // EN: 42/42 // DMG: 9 // EVA: 2 // MIT: 0 // ACC: 2 // BRN: 12 // BLT: 12 // FALN: 2 // REGN: 5 // RECV: 1

Koga carefully smeared clay along what would be the weapons edge. It was this process that had given the Japanese Katana both its famed beauty and infamous edge. Koga would soon heat the metal, and once the man quenched the steel, the spine would cool at a quicker rate than the edge, adding to the blade's curvature. Not only that, but the spine would be softer than the edge, allowing the blade to flex with out cracking, unlike other brittle, mono-cooled weapons. It truly was a science. But science was not what Koga was thinking about as he applied the clay to the blade.

"Tsuki, get behind me!"
Four Wolves, all higher levels than either himself or Tsuki. "Mas, how are we gonna get out of here?"
"I dunno, I'm thinking!"
"Well think faster!" A Wolf lunged at Masato and the man could do little more than kick away the beast as Tsuki slashed at another. Damn it! If there was a way out, Masato wasn;t seeing it.
"Mas, look out!" Koga felt himsef being pushed away before hearing a scream. Masato whipped around to see two of the Wolves ontop of Tsukiko. "Get off her, damn it!" Masato shouted as he drove a sword art in between the shoulder blades of one Wolf. The beast burst into a cloud of bright blue fragments, only for another to take it's place, and the last putting itself between Masato and his friend.
"Just run!" the girl shouted as she tried to push the Wolves off of herself.
"No! We promised!"
"Masato, shut up, run!"
"No! I'm not leaving you!"
"Good-bye, Masato."
Before Masato could protest further, Tsuki delivered a powerful kick into the chest of one of the Wolves, sending it flying towards Masato. The full body of the beast collided with Masato and he stumbled backwards. The man lost his footing and began to tumble down a hill. The last thing he experienced before hitting his head and losing consciousness was a bloodcurdling scream and Tsuki's health bar draining to nothing and her name disappearing from his HUD.

Koga pulled the tempered blade from the flames and dipped it once more into the water, steam rising as he did so. He couldn't hide these tears anymore.

Edited by Koga
Spoiler

Koga: HP: 420/420 // EN: 42/42 // DMG: 9 // EVA: 2 // MIT: 0 // ACC: 2 // BRN: 12 // BLT: 12 // FALN: 2 // REGN: 5 // RECV: 1

Koga carefully polished and sharpened the blade. The hamon shown brilliantly against the polished steel as he did so, and the bade itself had been so meticulously polished that Koga could see his own reflection perfectly in the blade. Was this what he looked like now? Tired, distraught, harrowed? Was this what he Tsuki had sacrificed her life for?

No. No it wasn't.

Satisfied with his work, Koga set the blade aside and began to work on the furnishings.

This wasn't what she'd died for. Koga knew that. He always had. She'd sacrificed herself so that Koga would do more than just survive. She did it so he could live. So he could help others, just like he'd always done in the past. So that he could enjoy what time he still had here. And so far, he'd let her down. More than that, he'd squandered the chance she'd given him, he'd let the one of the few good things in his life walk away. And he knew he was wrong now. He was going to have to fix that.

Spoiler

The man began to carefully furnish the blade of the katana. Beautiful. That's what this was going to be. Beautiful, like Noct. Like Tsukiko. Like the gift she'd bestowed on Koga. The man carefully wrapped the ito around the hilt. Red and turquoise. The colors, although not something that usually went together, were chosen for a very specific color by Koga. Sacrifice and healing. Love and protection. Koga had a feeling Tsuki would've liked this cacophony of color.
"You almost done over there?" the Forge God called to Koga.
"Almost there!" the man called back finishing the wrap and inserting the blade into it's saya. There we go. Perfect.

"This is for you guys," Koga said quietly as he stood and walked over towards Hephaestus and Alexandros. "Alright, ready when you guys are."
"About time!" the Satyr exclaimed, "I've been waiting for a century!"
"Alexandros, it's been a day and a half."
"A century!"

Spoiler

"Alright, let's get a move on boys! I got the perfect way to determine who made the better blade."
The three men all left the cave, and Koga had to shield his eyes from the sun, the sudden shift to light painful after two days in relative darkness. The NPCs, for their part, seemed to be unaffected by the change in light level. Lucky them. Koga blinked a few times until merely existing was no longer painful. Once he was all set, the trio got moving once more.

"So, where are you taking us Alexandros? I don;t think you've ever done this one before."
"Worry not, my divine friend," the Satyr replied to the Forge God, "I think you'll appreciate the genius behind this one." Koga cocked a curious brow at that statement. The man hoped that didn't mean having to fight a Hydra or something. Because that...that would not end well for him.

Spoiler

Alexandros guided the two competitors into the forest, a myriad a wildlife darting away as they approached. Eventually, they even came across a party of Nymph's singing in a circle. The Satyr immediately wolf whistled at them. "Well, hello there ladies," he said with a sly grin. No sooner had he done so did the ladies get up and start running away, screaming, causing Hephaestus to laugh heartily. "Ah, that never gets old," the god said as he limped along.
"Are you sure they're not just running away from your ugly mug?" the Satyr fired back.
"Ugly? You must be speaking of yourself, my dear friend."
"Definitely the Satyr," Koga agreed which earned him a shocked look from the goat-legged man. "So he does have a sense of humor," the creature said, feigning disbelief. Koga rolled his eyes and shook his head, "Wow, what a concept!" he deadpanned. Try again, Satyr.

Spoiler

It wasn't much longer before the sound of bubbling water could be heard through the dense trees. Was that a stream? Koga wondered. He was certain he'd find out soon enough. As the group moved on the sounds grew louder and closer, and before long the trees began to thin until, indeed, they came upon a rushing stream. The water moved violently down the hill, and surprisingly, fish leaped in and out of the water in a wonderful dance. One that a grizzly bear would really have enjoyed. Koga began to wonder if they were salmon, because sushi sounded really good right about now. What? The guy hasn't eaten anything in like, two days.

The water seemed to swell as the men approached it and the Satyr suddenly turned around with his arm's outstretched. With a loud voice, Alexandros made his grand announcement.

"Welcome, intrepid traveler, to the river Styx!"

Spoiler

"OW!" exclaimed the Satyr as Hephaestus smacked the Satyr on the to of the head with the flat of his blade. "Don't joke about that," the imposing figure chastised the Satyr as he rested the sword on his shoulder, free hand on his hip.

"Fine, fine," Alexandros complained as he rubbed the spot that the Forge Got had struck. "Anyways, here's what's going to happen. You'll both stick your glorified butter knives into the stream hear, and we'll see who cuts better, okay? Okay. Who wants to go first?" Koga shrugged and looked at the higher being. "Divine before mortal scum," the man said, gesturing for the god to go first. The god nodded and began to limp forward towards the water. Well, there was one of two ways this could go. And Koga really hoped it would go his way. He had no intentions of spending another two days cooped up in a hot cave with a sweaty god.

Spoiler

The rasp of leather on steel echoed through the tress and over the stream as the Forge God brandished his craft. The metal gleamed with a golden sheen, an engraving ran its length, and brown leather tightly wrapped the hilt. Centuries of experience showed themselves in that weapon. No one, mortal or divine would have denied the beauty of that craftsmanship.

The god drove his weapon into the stream, and the water parted around it's edge. Everything that touched that vorpal blade split into two, twigs, leaves, pebbles, and fish alike. Nothing stood a chance against the god's mastercraft.

The god soon after removed the blade from the water with a satisfied chuckle. "Well, I'd say that's going to be hard to beat, wouldn't you!" the god said with a grin. Difficult indeed. The god wiped the blade clean before returning it into its scabbard and returned to the Satyr's side. "I reckon it's your turn now, my friend."

Spoiler

The gravel beneath Koga's boots crunched as he walked to the stream. The water was crystal clear as it rushed by. The man drew the katana from it's crimson scabbard, and the blade shined brilliantly from its mirror-like polish. Alright. Here's go nothing. The blade pierced the surface of the water, and the stream parted around it as branches, leaves, rocks and fish rushed towards it.

Similar to Hephaestus' weapon, it cut the twigs, the leave, the rocks. But not the fish. Oddly, Koga was untroubled by this. It was as if the blade refused to harm a creature that did not deserve death. A few more moments passed, and Koga was satisfied. The man wiped the blade clean and with a soft click, returned it to its saya.

The Swordsman turned around, and walked back in silence. It had been a long time since he'd felt any semblance of peace. But right now? He felt...calm.

Spoiler

"Well, it seems pretty clear to me to me who won this contest," Hephaestus said confidently, hefting the sheathed sword across his shoulders again.
"Ah, ta ta ta, I wouldn't get to far ahead of myself there, Hephy," the Satyr jumped in, wagging his finger. "Your beastly sword there may have cut through everything but importantly, our dear legend-to-be's did not cut the fish. As the judge, I declare Koga here the winner."
Both Koga and Hephaestus looked at the Satyr with varying degrees of confusion. "How do you reason that, Alexandros?" the Forge God asked, narrowing his eyes at the Satyr with a scrutinizing look.
"It's pretty clear cut, pardon the pun, if you as me. Your weapon, my dear Hephy, didn't care what got in its way. It killed indiscriminately. Koga's, on the other hand, only killed what it felt was deserving. Clearly his weapon is the better blade. Both in quality and moral backbone." Koga wasn't about to point out that his katana actually had a steel backbone. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that.

Spoiler

Hephaestus crossed his muscled arms and appeared to think for a moment. His brows knitted together and Koga looked over to Alexandros who looked at him in return and shrugged. Guess the Satyr was just as confused. A moment or two passed where the only sound was the stream behind them and the Hephaestus spoke. "I never expected such wise words from a drunken Satyr like you Alexandros. Very well, you have bore witness and judged. I will accept the verdict. Congratulations my good man!" the Forge God said before clapping Koga on the back, sending him stumbling forward a pace or two. "Now, regretfully. I must ask you to relinquish your craft. Take pride in knowing it will one day be given to a worthy hero, and find it's place in legend, your name written down alongside it. And in return!" A bright blue light appeared in the god's hand, slowly gathering and coalescing in his palm until a hammer, plain and simple were it not for the subtle warm light it gave off, appeared in the god's hand. "I give you my hammer. Man the forge, strike the anvil with the same heart and sense of duty that you did today, and it will serve you well."

Koga, almost reverently, took the hammer from the palm of the god's head. "Efxaristo kirie," (Thank you sir,) Koga said as he felt the heft of the hammer. Its warm glow washed over the player, and the man looked up to the sky.

'Were you watching? Hikaru? Tsuki?'

Thread Summary

Spoiler

+3 SP (1 Thread, 1 Quest, 1 December Bonus)
+Hephaestus' Hammer (+1 CD)