[PP-F2] 'Gladdy-Daddy'

Mari was still in  the forests that surrounded the border of the second floor. Here it was relatively safe - sure there may be a few random Nepents or Frenzied bears - but nothing she couldn't handle.

The talk with Macradon had helped Mari. More than she cared to admit. The woman had spent the better half of the day meticulously going through the new list of skills, and compared them to her old ones till she found a build she was happy with. It did mean she had to sacrifice some things. Mari loved having her Night Vision - it wasn't a popular skill or mod back when she was active, and it made exploration far easier. It was also useful to be able to clearly see anyone sneaking up on her in the middle of the night. She also had to get rid of most of her detection and searching skills in Lieu of becoming stronger - giving her the upper hand in DPS. The woman sighed. "What a bother... I also had to junk my armour - and I'm going to have to relocate my shop too."
1255723264_maripp.jpg.5a3467146d882852529040f2e7a26703.jpg

Macradon had already sent over the tiny potion that was meant to change her hair colour and the woman promptly used it. Good she thought to herself as she tugged at the now ginger bangs that lined her face. The further she could distance herself from 'Mari the Pink PKer' the better. This was a start. Even if it was...strange for the woman to be back to her 'natural' hair colour. She once hated this. It was the brunt of harrassment and bullying in her primary school, and most of her high school years. Being pale, and ginger?  

In a country like Australa, where most people were tanned and the ideal 'beauty' standards were that of darker skin Mari...hated it. She hated her hair colour she hated her skin - and that's why she decided to go obtusely pink

Great lot of good that did her, it worked for a long time within the real world - but here nothing really changed. She was still called a soulless monster.  "Some things never f**king change, huh?" Mari said to herself as she paused by a small river, kneeling down to stare at her reflection. All in all, she looked the same. The only difference being her hair. But what a vast difference it made - it framed her small almond shaped face - and bought out the pale blue of her eyes. She blinked. Hell, even the minute freckles were more noticeable like this. "Hrmm.... Maybe I should have gone with black instead...I could have picked any colour..." But no, she had to go to her natural colour.

@Gladiator

Gladiator took a deep breath as he walked through the woods today, while it bugged him that he wasn't out into a more dangerous area training and gaining more EXP. Today was a bit more of a important day to his mental, today was the day his wife and kid died. He liked to walk into woods to look at the scenery like he and his wife once did back then to pay his respects. "Tch, I always have been a softie for you haven't I?" he thought to himself letting out a chuckle then stating out to himself into the woods "I guess some things just never change." Then he had took a moment to think about the female he had met the other day, she had... a lot of energy to say the least, plus she herself was pretty cute. He wondered when she would message him again asking for his help. 

After a moment of walking he had walked to a path that lead off to a river, there he had found a female kneeling down looking into the water. He shifted his body towards her then inspected her, and he was a little unnerved. Noticing the orange cursor, he knew he found himself want could be a bit of trouble, thinking to himself he hesitated to take another action "A player killer huh? Well this can go one of two ways, one shes not as bad as the system wants me to believe or I might have found myself a bit of trouble." he then moved the cursor to the player then took a couple steps forward till he stood a foot behind her. Placing his hand on the back of his neck, he chuckled and said out to her after hearing words she said to herself "I dunno miss, I think that hair color suits you perfectly. That is just me though."

@Mari

Mari stumbled forward upon hearing the voice, she had to catch herself before she completely fell into the river. The bottom of her hair had dipped below the surface before she pulled herself back up.  "Jesus f**king mother loving F**king what?" Her words came out in a jumbled mess of cuss and shock as she turned on her heal to come face to face with another player. Today was meant to be her day 'off' she didn't want to be bothered by anyone. All she wanted to do was mourn her daughters death in peace. Ahh... but that wasn't going to happen was it. Still... he didn't seem threatening, or put off.

Mari stood and dusted her debris of dirt and twigs from her white dress - mumbling incoherently to herself. Her blue eyes shifted up to him. The first thing she noticed was a large vertical scar across one of his honey coloured eyes. He had a strong angled jaw and broad shoulders. The man towered over her

Mari cleared her throat. Then, upon the realization that he had complimented her she fumbled her next words - The so called 'grand Pink PKer' an absolute mess when it came to decent social interactions. Especially anything that was positive or complimentary toward her. Mari huffed as she crossed her arms over her chest, turning her freckled face away.

"J-Just sneaking up on people? Alone in the words? F**king weird ass behavior isn't it?" 

And he had his damn shirt unbuttoned. "Another thing." Mari said as she broached the gap between them - placing a firm prod into his chest. "What kind of lunatic walks around the forest half naked!?"

@Gladiator

Edited by Mari

Gladio had almost snickered as she jumped into the river, however he refrained from doing so to tick her off anymore, he had thought of moving forward to give her a hand... but she didn't seem all to friendly at the given moment so he stood still and crossed his arms. Looking down to her dress then back up he thought to himself "Hmm.. for a player killer she does dress... rather, not like one at all. Maybe she got it from a emotional outlast..." then noticed as she looked up to him then crossed her arms and spoke out in a half rude, half... flustered? tone. He then released a chuckle and said "Well, I wouldn't say looking at your own reflection out in the middle of the woods is such a great idea either. You have more privacy looking at a mirror in a private room if you ask me." then he looked down to her finger that poked his chest then looked to her, he grinned on one side and said out to her "Hey, its how I always dressed. Would you prefer if I didn't have my jacket on? What's wrong with it?" he then took a few steps forward past her and looked into the river and said out to her "Look, I just came out here to pay respects for loved ones I couldn't save. And I just happened to find you here, I don't know who you are or what you have done. I just wanted to speak out, considering this game making new allies is never a bad idea."

@Mari

"Funny thing about being a PKer...." Mari mused as she pointed upwards toward her crystal. "Mirrors and rooms aren't really something I can come by often. I don't even remember the last time  I slept soundly in a bed."

Her rough attitude and quips didn't seem to bother him, instead the man just laughed it off with a comment about completely removing his jacket. "Take off your jacket?" Mari exclaimed. She couldn't tell if he was flirting with her, teasing her, or being an outright d**k.

The tone of their conversation shifted drastically as he mentioned that he was just out here to pay respects for loved ones. All the anger, or what little of it that Mari had washed away in that moment - she may well have dumped her face into the river. "Me too..." Came her small reply.  "Did...you want to see?"  There was a moment of silence before she realized that there was very little context to her words. Mari inwardly groaned. "I mean - I have this grave marker for my daughter but ah...." Mari stepped away. This was a stupid idea. She didn't know him. Nor he her. If anything they'd exchange names and he'd either try to attack her or treat her with vitterol. They all did. She was cursed by the sins of a past she never wanted.

"Look. Forget it." Mari muttered. "I'm sorry for your loss. But allies aren't really something that come by me." She placed a hand on her chest. She could already feel it tightening. "Mari. I'm Mari."

@Gladiator

Gladio looked up to her orange crystal for a moment then back to her then replied to her "I can relate miss. While I haven't murdered in this game, I was in war. I killed many people with my own hands to survive and to fight for my country. It's why I have this scar. I can still hear their screams trying to sleep, even in this game where their soul shouldn't even be here." 

Laughing once again, he exclaimed to her "It was just a joke, just wanted to know why you didn't like my appearance, some people wear a lot less than me I'll have you know."

Then Gladio stood there in utter shock, when he found out the truth of why she was hear... she too had come to pay respects, much like himself... for a daughter. His eyes opened a bit in shock, then his hand moved forward when she took a step back then forcing words to leave his throat he had exclaimed out to her "Y-you lost a daughter too?" he then straightened himself and coughed trying to return to his normal mood, then looked to her and said placing his hand on his neck again rubbing it "I too had lost my own daughter, before I went into the military I had gotten my wife pregnant so I could have a family to look forward to when I came back. But, I only was informed that not only my daughter was killed in a fatal car accident, but..." he sighed "My wife perished too." he let out a small chuckle letting a single tear fall down his face "Guess that's why I am so aggressive towards these monsters, I can only see that drunk bastard inside them once I get angry enough." he then shook his head then turned to her.

He let her finish speaking before saying anything, and after she had finished he said out to her "Gladiator, however everyone calls me Gladio." he took one step forward and said with a smile "I'd like to see your daughters grave though, it'll more than likely inspire me to make her one of my own. I'm sorry if I had spoken too much about why I have come here."

@Mari

Instead of treating her with Ire the broad shouldered man told her of his profession, that he and here were alike, but his sins were in the world outside.

Mari listened silently as he talked about who and what he had lost. Their pasts were similar. Both had lost people they love. but his was steeped in pain and accidents and hers in betrayal and manipulation. Still, loosing family like that must have been hard. Mari wasn't good with comforting words, so didn't offer any.

"Apologies aren't really needed here, Gladio." Mari said as she offered him a small smile in return. "It's not too far from here." Mari said as she turned to move back into the forest. The glade really was only a few minutes away. She could hear his heavy footsteps following her. A part of Mari wanted to make a joke about leading a lamb to slaughter- that only an idiot would follow a PKer, a notorious one at that, into a secluded part of the forest. But she held her tongue. Those sort of comments were the reason why she was so isolated in the first place. Barbed, venomous words used to push people away.

"I...lost my daughter by my own hands." Mari began as they walked. "My ex husband hired a crooked lawyer so he got full custody. That lawyer was in this game...he was...torturing her, and I just saw red - I went to attack him but he used her as a..f**king shield and..." Mari held her tongue. Her words choked, she couldn't finish the sentence. The heaviness in her words, and the context in which she spoke of them...the answer was clear. Mari had taken her own daughters life, all because of a foolish man and her blinded rage.

They arrived at the clearing. Before her stood a makeshift grave marker. Two large sticks strung together with string to symbolize a cross. Even in the forest it had looked like it had been recently cleaned, and around it was a splay of picked wildflowers that created a blanket of flowers around the marker. "It happened not far from here. So I come here and rest. I suppose this is as close to a bed as I'd get."

@Gladiator

While she didn't offer any words after explaining everything, her presence being here to listen and to not judge was more than enough to satisfy him. He had felt a little bit better then faced Mari to listen to her words.

He chuckled a little then said out to her "I know, I just wanted to be nice if I had gotten under your skin about it. Thank you for listening, I appreciate it." then he simply nodded his head and followed behind her to the grave site she had set up for her daughter. While he was still concerned about how she was a player killer, he knew that deep inside from how she acted from being angry to open, he knew that there was a more nicer side to her. With that thought placed into his mind, he simply wanted to know more about this player, he wanted to learn about her more. 

After a little bit of walking, he looked over a bit shocked. However, he didn't want to be quick to assume things so once again he had let her finish her words. Then he was only a bit angered listening to her story he thought to himself "What kind of low life scum does that to a mother?" however he had kept a calm but shocked look on his face. After a bit he had caught up to her after he fully found out how she killed her own daughter he had placed his hand on her shoulder and said to her with a slight smile "Don't torture yourself over it Mari. While I don't know the exact day and events that led to that. I believe that you didn't kill her, and in a way you set her free of pain. Did you kill the man that used her as a shield and did such things to your daughter? If not, tell me his name. I'll go finish the job for you. He doesn't deserve less than death for doing such things to your own daughter."

Then they had arrived to the grave site, while it wasn't extravagant...  it was, heartwarming to him to say the least. It really touched him that a grave site to pay respects doesn't need to be extravagant to be enough to honor them. Then he had looked to her as she finished her words and said to her "Well, it touches me that you did this for your own daughter. And it makes me feel a little bad for not doing the same for my own." he rubbed the back of his neck.

@Mari

"Oh that man?" Mari clucked her tongue in distaste. "He died shortly after - another player came in and took his life for what he had done."  Gladio had placed a hand on her shoulder and Mari drew in a sharp breath- she wasn't used to human contact. Especially contact she didn't initiate. He was being kind. He was trying to offer her solace, and he was trying to help her. He wasn't going to attack her - he wasn't going to drive a weapon into her back...right?

"There's nothing stopping you from doing so." Mari said as she kneeled down before the marker. "We have 22 floors here on Aincrad. Find a place that speaks to you and to her. Create a little place like this. It may get knocked down or torn up - but that's why we're alive. To rebuild and to keep those memories alive." She reached out and fixed the cross, straightening the sticks. Mari wasn't good with words, what else was she supposed to say to the man? He had followed her here and talked about his past. They both had shared delicate and painful memories within moments of meeting each other and that didn't exactly sit right with her.

Mari felt like she shouldn't be so open with others, what if it came back and bit her in the foot like it did with Lowenthal? Macradon had been...accommodating but she shouldn't get so comfortable so quickly.  Maybe it was just because she felt he could relate to her. They were in similar circumstances.

@Gladiator

Gladio had let out a breath of air with the knowledge that the man can no longer hurt another soul again, "Well, at least he is gone now. He can't harm another child or soul again." he stated to her. However, he was a little worried after he had placed a hand on her shoulder as she responded with a sharp breath, he was worried but he didn't want to back down now after showing her kindness, a feeling more than lost forgotten for her.

He had looked over and watched as she kneeled down before the grave and explained to him that he has a lot of places in which he can do the same for her, he had smiled after she finished speaking and said to her "Well said Mari, I will follow that advice and words. I think I have a good spot I'd like to go to, I just don't think I am able to carve my way there just yet." he informed. It was a bit far'fetch'd to him that the two was able to immediately after meeting only a few moments ago to share their own stories of loss even if they share the same pain or share the same qualities of loss, it just seemed... different. Gladio just shook his head, there was no turning back now as the seed had already been planted inside of his head. He stepped next to her then said "Do you mind if I join you sitting down?"

@Mari

"Go ahead." Mari said as she gestured to a space next to her when he asked if it was alright for him to sit down. "At least you asked."

Mari turned to glance over her shoulder - brilliant blue eyes watching as he shifted to sit next to her. "I had someone else wander in on me today. Far more boisterous and rude - but I suppose it was a good thing. He helped me put things in perspective. Helped me respecc my outdated skills and even offered me help to take the redemption quest." Her hand reached out to gently caress the grave marker. "I don't think I deserve it really... but I've been told I need to take steps to redeem myself." A frail smile broke the stoic facade of her freckled face. "Someone I care about wants me to succeed. And I want to show them I can."

Mari shifted so she could lean against the tree the marker sat in front of. Her legs curled up underneath her. The tiny daisy chains the woman had been working on earlier were still sittng on the floor, so the woman absently picked them up and started to thread them together, stem through stem. "What floor were you thinking of? I could probably survive most of the upper floors." The question felt strained, she wasn't good at small talk - but felt that in this instance it was probably a good thing. The two had come here on this day in solemn remembrance.  There had to be something to break the forlorn mood between the two.

@Gladiator

Gladio had chuckled then he had kneeled down then sat down completely criss-cross, then he had looked over to her as she began to speak out. He then listened once again to everything she had to say first then he would speak out. He was touched when she caressed the grave marker, he looked back to her when she finished and said to her "Well that is good Mari, everything is not all lost yet. And believe me when I say this, anyone who hasn't been fully corrupted has the chance to redeem themselves successfully. I had lost myself for a bit when I was in the military, and some of the kills I did was a bit unnecessary or out of anger. But, I too believe that you can accomplish what you wish that is you desire if its really what you want." he looked back to the grave then back at her and smiled "What would your daughter like you to do at this given time? Would she like you to be free and seek redemption as well?"

After that conversation had faded, a new one had begun. He smiled then said out to her "Floor 17. I like the aesthetics there, plus from what I heard she wanted to be just like daddy when she grew up. She was very interested in that medieval and Gladiator stuff. It's probably why I named myself that." he chuckled for a little bit then looked around the area she had set up her own area to feel at ease, or be with her own daughter it brought a smile to his own face. He looked back to the grave marker and said to her "This area is quite an excellent spot, I am sure your daughter is happy with what you have set up here. I can only hope mine would be the same once I get it all set up as well."

@Mari

If Mari was truthful, she was beginning to feel uncomfortable with the topic. Whenever her daugther was bought up Mari would often shy away and shift the topic to something less emotionally strenuous, but here he was - openly talking to her and asking questions about her daughter. It hurt...It really hurt, but it reminded Mari that she was human. And her daughter was too, her daughter was a living breathing human who had likes, dislikes, interests. Things Mari almost forgot amidst all the turmoil.

"Evelyn liked reading books...fairy lights... making tiny crowns out of flowers. She had stories for everything. I  know she would have loved it here."

Mari glanced down to her lap, seeing the daisy-chain she was working on. The woman finished the loop and drapped it around the small grave marker. The white and yellow flowers hung from the cross, blowing gently in the breeze. "Mmm..."

Gladio wore a serene smile, his presence extruded warmth despite the words that he said earlier about his scar and his past. A glance at the man and one would never suspect him as a front-line military soldier. His amber eyes held nothing but a kindness in them and although his arms were tense with muscles they were relaxed. It was like he wouldn't even be capable of hurting a fly. "It's why I'm trying to move forward. One step at a time." Came her reply when Gladio offered her words of encouragement.

"Floor 17?" Mari repeated. She hadn't been there, but had been to the higher floors. "That's the one based off Ancient Greece right?" His further words confirmed her question. The man told her its why he called himself Gladiator. "Gladiators were muscle bound oily men." Mari joked. Albeit it was poor timing, and terribly executed but Mari wasn't the most socially inclined person. "Is that why you were traipsing around like that? Lookin' for fights?"

@Gladiator

Gladio listened to her description of her daughter, and keeping his smile he had said to her "Ah, sounds almost like mine. While Luna wanted to be just like me, she'd always come up with these bizarre war stories about me or other figures. I am sure she was a sweet girl. Makes me hate the guy that tortured her even more." then looked forward to the grave marker and said toward it "I am sorry he was the reason you died, you didn't deserve it." he offered his apologies to the long since past spirit of Mari's daughter.

Then he looked over to see what Mari had been crafting, then watched as she placed it on the grave marker and said "I'm sure she likes the gift you've given her."

Gladio had looked at her more, from what he can tell from speaking to her, and what she has said. Gladio thinks she is more or less emotionally stressed or drained over things that had happened between her and her daughter, from there he doesn't know the extent of what future murders are if at all any... but he believes that she is simply put being labeled a murderer without a chance of defense. And while he is offering nothing but kindness to her, it's because he understands her pain from losing a child. Then breaking back into reality he nodded his head and said out to her "Yup, that's the one." Then with a chuckle he had said out to her "No, not quite. Again I'm military we can't do our orders and fight if we are all sticks running around with a gun in our hands. From there, it just stuck and I'd rather be buff than unable to defend myself in a fist fight or lose the ability to kick someone's ass if they tick me off." then he looked forward "Plus you can never go wrong with black clothing."

@Mari

The man really had no idea who she was. Mari wasn't sure if she felt relief - or if she should slap him and tell him to get a reality check. For now the woman decided it'd be nice to deal with things peacefully. Let the man live in ignorance for now. Her past would catch up to her and he'd grow to dislike her just like the rest. But for now - was it so wrong for her to want something more? A friend who listened? Someone who understood her pain and didn't judge her for it or force her to their own ideals of 'good' or 'bad'

Gladio approached the grave and offered his condolences to Evelyn, something she hadn't seen anyone else do before. It was something only a parent who had lost a child would do, a small and meaningful gesture. He opened up about his own daughter, Luna and complimented the small flower chain Mari had created. Such pleasantries and compliments. Things Mari didn't quite understand - she kept second guessing herself, and his motives. Was he trying to lull her into a false sense of security?

"Everyone tends to go with black here." Mari mused at his jesting words. "It's why I try to wear different colours." Silence fell between them again.

crap

Her ill-timed jokes fell flat, and her attempts at shifting the conversation away from death and past memories didn't work. What else was there she could do? Mari sighed as she rested her head against the tree trunk. Closing her eyes. Would it be better for them to part ways here? The man had come here to reflect on his own past demons and who was she to get in the way of his solace?

"I'm sure you have your own places to be." She said softly.  "Far be it for me to keep you from them Gladio."

@Gladiator

Gladiator knew there was more to the story that met the eye, however he offered only kindness to her, again something she probably hasn't felt in a long time. However... he wanted to know everything that surrounded that cursor, however too much and he might not be able to speak to this person once again. For now, he would continue what he had been doing. Then, he heard the joke. At first he was confused, he looked over to her with a straight face, however it quickly shifted to a chuckle then a laugh after he had stopped laughing he said out to her "Not bad, poorly timed jokes are always the best. However, I suppose a better change in pace considering we've only been sharing tales about our since past children." he looked back at the grave stone and nodded his head "Yeah, I know." then he looked back to her and said "And I am sure you have yours as well, at least everyone should." then his gaze shifted to the scenery again, unaware of how to shift the topic. 

After a moment though he asked her "So, you mentioned someone helped you redo your skills a bit. What kind of fighter are you in this war?" a simple question a solider could ask another considering the state of the game they are in.

@Mari

Mari was fully expecting the man to leave. To thank her for whatever insight she had given him and leave. Instead he didn't. What was his problem? Mari didn't buy the whole kindness schitck. Not one bit. Even Macradon had his reasons. He was quite open with telling her that he wanted in return. He wanted her back on the frontlines to help the others clear the floors. To throw herself back into the heart of danger in exchange for some potions and aid to clear her crystal.

"Jokes are kinda stupid though, poorly timed ones more so." Mari said when he laughed at her own - it was a deflection so she wouldn't have to deal with the compliment. Keep everyone at a distance. That was always the way right? Because when she didn't others would literally stab her in the back. When she didn't, people would die.

Silence fell between the two, minutes where Mari could hear the whispers of the trees and the soft songs of the birds above. In these brief moments it was hard to believe they were trapped in a game. After those moments Gladiator asked her about her build. "Mmmm..." Mari shifted as she leaned forward. Hugging her knees to her chest.  "Glass Cannon. Deal damage fast, and fall back. I specialize in lasting damage like bleeding and paralysis so that the others with heavier weapons can do their big combos. What about you?" She turned her gaze to him - resting her chin atop her knees. "It's not like its called Gun Art Online. So what do you use?"

@Gladiator

Gladio had simply just smiled as he looked at her then back at the grave, silence had grown between the two as they sat and pondered in the thought of their own minds. "Hopefully I have displayed enough kindness to offer a friend request and for her to accept it. I need to know everything about that orange crystal." he thought to himself. After a moment, he looked over when she had asked about his own building describing hers, he smiled then said "Simply put, I am trying to do a jack of all trades DPS, however for the most part I just go with the flow without really labelling myself as one. Right now though I am really glass cannon." he admitted. After a moment he opened his inventory and pulled out is Two Handed Straight Sword and presented it to her "I used Two Handed Swords, I don't see a reason to use anything else in my own view. How about you?"

@Mari

Her joke had fallen flat, or maybe he had just completely missed it? Mari's eyebrows scrunched up. She knew she was bad at telling jokes but she didn't think she was that bad. A long silence fell between the two of them. Normally Mari wouldn't be bothered by it, but the way her quip had fallen through made her feel a little....awkward, maybe even embarrassed.

Gladio turned to her and started to talk about his own build, a jack of all trades focusing on damage. "Ahh.." Mari held her tongue - her first thought was to say that was stupid. That he should focus on one thing, but that was wrong of her to say, and nothing more than an opinion. "You know..." Mari began, and she knew she'd probably regret this later, but Mari told herself she'd always be truthful. "My first thought is that...is kinda stupid to not have a focus - but..." She glanced away from him, not wanting to insult the man. "I'm one to talk - I used to try and dabble in everything too but I've had to focus on damage lately. Even so...I'm so stubborn..."

Mari pulled her own weapon out. A small and ornate dagger. "I know daggers aren't really good for DPS - but I like them, they're useful..." She said as she twirled it to and fro in her hands. The hilt of the dagger was a deep obsidian black, and had two snakes coiled around it - and the blade had a sinister glint in the sun. It was a deep crimson, as though it had been soaked in blood. "I got this as a drop from the 11th floor boss. When I did my respecc I had the option to pick a new weapon skill, instead, I went with what I was familiar with."

@Gladiator

• 2 weeks later...

Gladio had just chuckled, he knew that she had just had nothing to say about his appreciation over terrible jokes, he just found the poor timing of them to be priceless. The silence bothered him a little bit, however it wasn't going to be enough to fully be worried about. Then asking about her build he paid close attention at the orange player's style, however with a bit of a confused look he found it strange that a Orange player built more so everything over just straight damage. He placed his finger on his chin then thought to himself "So... are the kills she's responsible for she never had a true fair fight? That's interesting she didn't commit to damage..." then with a smile he broke back to her when she mentioned a dagger. He looked at her dagger then back to her "Very nice weapon you got there, what made you decide to leave the front lines? Was it the orange status you carried with you that made you stop? Feared everyone would suddenly turn?"

@Mari