[F01-SP] Child of Dirt -- <<Feeding The Enemy>>

Question: What's the first thing a warrior should do when they first get out of a 2-year hold up?

Basuke's answer was to start looking for a friend so he wouldn't feel alone anymore.

So, there was this old woman, right? Down at the Town of Beginnings. She lived in a pink wooden caravan with a purple roof and turquoise wheels, pulled along by two horses who weren't there at the time; so she was essentially parked in her home during her stay in the town on the first floor.

And then Basuke came along, hearing a holler from her door. "Hello, sweetie," she spoke, a delightful expression pulled on her wrinkly face. The boy couldn't help but look over to her, in surprise, then with a little more hesitation when he realized the true nature of the person. "Oh," he echoed, "Hey!"

"Would you like to talk about making friends with me?"

Spoiler

B A S U K E

Lv. 6 | HP: 120 | EN: 12 | DMG: 2 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | MIT: -- | LD: 3

- - - - -

Skills:

1. 1H Straight Sword | RANK: 2/5 | +2 DMG
  2. - - -

Equipment:

1. [T1E0] Standard-issue Blade
  2. [T1E3] Tri-Hexagon Metal Pin
    > Accuracy III | +3 ACC

-- Three hexagons beveled linked up one on top of the other, polished a dull silver by steel. Indentations of reflective metal go down the edges of the one in the center. Some of the lines of the hexagon are purposefully leaning inwards, forming an odder geometric shape.
  3. [T1E3] Wooden Omamori
    > Loot Die III | +3 LD

-- A wooden talisman, often found at Shinto shrines. Where there would be japanese characters on it to mark some good luck, there is instead an etching of Aincrad itself.

Battle-Ready Inventory:

1. x3 | Starter Healing Potions | Heals 50 HP
  2. x4 | Eggtart | +1 LD for the duration of a thread.
  3. x1 | Song of Furry | +2 LD in finding a familiar.
  4. x1 | Sharp Hot Cocoa | +4 LD for the duration of a thread. 
  5. x1 | Spyglass [3/3] | -5 posts when searching for a dungeon or familiar, for the duration of a thread.
Edited by Basuke

He furrowed his brows, gesturing between the two of them as he stepped around to face her. "Between... us?"

"No, no," the woman chuckled, waving his concerns away. "Friends that are much more furry and ferocious in nature!" 

As she pushed open the door beside her wider, the sunlight from the outside crept onto the darkened floorboards, before dancing onto the fur of a large, dire wolf, unveiling it from the shadows. It pushed forth, brushing the woman aside with a gentle shove from its snout, its eyes watching the small boy carefully.

Basuke had nothing to say, stuck in awe of the majestic canine. They exchanged gazes, and the wolf flickered its ear as the woman interrupted them with a laugh. "I see you're already familiar with the idea, young man!"

"I-- uh, what?" Basuke blushed, scratching at his scalp and looking around nervously. If he wanted to give an answer, he needed to check if anyone was around.

Edited by Basuke

No one. Good. Then they wouldn't be able to see him do this either.

He stepped forth into the caravan, up the unsteady wooden steps that creaked, and nodded to the old woman. "Yeah, I'm down," he replied with a smirk, voice hushed. "Just don't tell anyone about it, okay? Some people really get a kick out of making fun of people like me." The madame seemed surprised to hear that, as she ushered him inside, stepping over to where her living quarters are. "I'm so sorry to hear that, dearie, I couldn't possibly imagine why they would want to!"

"They just think it's weird, I guess. But like, I like animals." He patted the large wolf with a soft and open palm, the creature's big yellow eyes still staring back at him. "What's wrong with a costume and pretending to be one?"

This time, it was the old woman's turn to be flustered. "What?"

"What?" Basuke echoed, turning back to see her in the short hallway, having had made some tea ready for the two of them to drink. "Was-- Oh [sh]..." The boy groaned in embarrassment, burying his face into the back of his hand. "Is this not what that's about?" 

"N-no," the lady replied, walking over to the coffee table and setting her tray down. "Though I must say, you have eccentric interests, young man." She beckoned him along, to take a seat by one of the arm chairs as she began the conversation with another cup of tea. "You're not by any chance going to hurt the creatures you find, are you?"

"I would never," the boy pledged, wearing a look of determination that was clear as day on his face. "I just think they're neat, that's all. I wouldn't attack them unless they did so to me without provocation."

The woman chuckled, nodding gleefully. "That's good. That's what I'm hoping for. Ohoho!" 

She pulled out a bag of creature feed from the side of her seat, a paper orange package with an image printed on it. “You see this?” A hand to gesture towards the item in her hands, underneath the bag, her grip upon the rolled up opening. Basuke nodded in return. “With these, you can treat any animal you find, to convince you to help you in your adventures.” 

The wrinkled hand lowered the bag into her lap. Her sights were cast onto the boy. “I’m sure you’ll make good use of it. I only ask that you return the bag to me when you’re done. It… might be my last one, I wouldn’t want to be rid of it so soon.” A smile, in addition to her words. “And perhaps, you could let me take a look at your familiar too.”

A chuff from the dire wolf beside her, as it shot its owner a suspicious look, padding towards the base of her chair. “Ohoho,” she chuckled, before looking over to Basuke. The boy was a little distracted, still looking at the magnificent fur on the beast. “And maybe you can show Link your new friend, too!”

The canine ‘wulped’, lifting its head high and nuzzling its owner, happy. The interaction brought a smile over to the boy, as he leaned in towards the sight, hands gripping the armrests of his chair. The beastmaster pet her familiar, stroking its head to calm them down in between her giggles.

Basuke… Basuke wanted a relationship like that too--! A companion by his side; someone to spend the good and bad times with, someone to follow in his steps, someone to give him the affection he’d always wanted--! 

He’d practically fall out of his seat, if he wasn’t already jumping out of it, ready to head out on his new quest.

“Okay! I’ll head out to find a familiar, and you’ll get to see it in no time!” Basuke rushed over and busted the door wide open, in an excited exaggerated manner. His feet made contact with the stairs, and he leaped off of them, beginning to take off in a sprint.

“Wait--! You forgot to take your...” Behind him, a set of shuffles, as the lady quickly got up, accompanied by the dire wolf, creature feed in its mouth.

“... Oh, right!!”

In an extremely comedic way, he turned around and rushed back, meeting the tamer at her doorstep, the bag of treats in her familiar’s jaws. With some gentle coercion from the boy, a gentle pet on its head, the wolf let go of the baggage, letting it drop to the wooden floor. He picked it up, shooting the duo a grin, before taking off once again, the paper gripped tightly in his hands.

Basuke had the whole journey over to the edge of town to think about what he might’ve wanted as a familiar. What would be good? A cat? A dog? Oh, maybe a horse! Or-Or a giant wolf, like that lady had! There were so many possibilities! What if there were mythical creatures?! That expanded his options so much more!! Maybe he should leave it up to chance!

The options were racing through Basuke’s wild mind -- and there was no slowing down the boy. With a jump, he passed through the barrier of the safe zone, giving the world a hoot and a holler! He was so. ready. for what the game had in store for him. Where should he start first?

He took off running again into the fields, storing the bag into his pockets and pulling out the spy glass he’d had obtained earlier out of a fancy and began to use it.

> Using Spyglass [3/3].
-- Charges reduced to [2/3]. -5 posts when searching for a dungeon or familiar, for the duration of a thread.

Out in the fields, the skies were cloudless. A clear, sunny day, perfect weather for adventuring. Basuke wondered for a moment if things were looking up for him. After all, he was stuck in one spot for two years -- he wouldn’t be surprised if Cardinal decided it owed him a favor.

Or a handful. But Basuke wasn’t picky about that.

“Now,” he murmured to himself, “Where should I start looking at…?”

In the grass, he could only spot a crowd of boars lurking about. Tougher creatures like a snake would’ve been difficult to spot even with his tool used to help him out. He grimaced, huffing a little to himself. A rabbit, or a crow? Those were also likely suspects to him, though… Would they count as good familiars?

They sure would be tough to approach, that was certain.

Maybe… maybe he should look somewhere else. Somewhere more… secluded? Better suited for visibility?

Edited by Basuke

This was not what he had in mind, but… at least there wasn’t as much grass in the way of him looking at the floor. That’s where most of the creatures would be, right? Basuke wondered for a moment with a smile, at the thought that he could find a graceful stag to be his friend.

That would be so cool--!!

--- Ah, wait.

He lowered the spy glass from his eye for a beat, in realization. His. His fursona was a wolf. A canine. Wouldn’t he just clash with a creature like a stag? Something bothered him greatly about the proposition, and he tucked the spyglass he had into his hoodie’s pockets for a moment, thinking.

Maybe he’d feel better after a drink. Basuke pulled out his Hot Cocoa, having gotten it for warmth the other day. Holding it in his hands really helped soothe his soul, and allowed him a moment’s respite as he trudged through the forest.

The boy took a sip of the drink, letting out a hot breath, before remembering he had an item he could use to attract the creatures around him better. With a button’s press, the crystal he’d picked up from a shop the other day began to play sound, and he enjoyed his stroll, taking in the surroundings alongside the heat in his hands.

> Using Song of Furry, Sharp Hot Cocoa
-- +2 LD in finding a familiar.
-- +4 LD for the duration of a thread. 

Total LD: 7 (3, +4)

The woods were quiet this time of day, save for the chirpings of a few birds that he couldn’t exactly hone in on with his ears nor his spyglass. Not that it mattered much to Basuke -- the walk was already more enjoyable than expected. His hot cocoa was half-sipped, the boy trying to preserve its warmth as much as possible within his hands. The drink was rather exquisite -- maybe he should ask for its recipe when he got back. Not… that he was an excellent cook, or anything…

But maybe there was an instant brew that tasted similar to this?

The boy fiddled with his cap for a bit, feeling the hat starting to sit uncomfortably on his head. With a glance up towards the sky, between the trees’ leaves, he really wondered if he should begin climbing them, just to see if the birds would take a liking to him.

ID: 133808 | LD: 11 (2, +7 +2) | Familiar Search

Edited by Basuke

He pushed away the thought, continuing his dirt path stroll. With a final gulp, he downed the last of his hot cocoa, watching and feeling the white ceramic between his fingers dissipate entirely. It was always so mesmerizing, how the game made things fade away.

With a smile, he spotted a white cave entrance in the distance. Would there be some signs of life there? Basuke sprinted towards it, excited to see if the locale would net him any results.

As he stepped into the darkness, the sounds of running water from his own crystal only served to echo. It was entirely calming, but the cave… looked deserted, upon a closer look. Basuke hummed, stepping further in to look carefully.

What he didn’t realize was that by his feet, a small mound of dirt was beginning to form. When he turned to leave, that was when he noticed the culprit of the disturbance -- a small, screeching... worm thing?

ID: 133809 | LD: 28 (19, +7 +2) | Familiar Search
> Familiar Encountered!

Edited by Basuke

What.gtklByV.png

What is that thing.

SCREEeeeEEEeeee----!!!

It looked horrendous. And small. And wimpy. Golden yellow, with a few several stripes of brown running through its squishy bean form. Honestly a little cute, with how pathetic it looked. Its form bloated and shrunk with a wriggle, and it seemed to begin crawling over to him out of curiosity.

W-why…?

When it reached Basuke’s shoes, it bit at his laces, causing him to gasp. “Woah, hey buddy--!!” They weren’t exactly his Supreme Yeezies but still, he figured the thing should’ve had a shred of decency, at least--!!

He shook it off his feet gently, pulling out his creature feed. Whatever this baby creature was, it sure must be hungry. One reach into the paper bag gave him something that looked very much like a scone. The boy set the food in his hand down, offering it out to the wriggling thing.

With very little fanfare, it began eating it, in tiny, diamond-mouth shaped bites.

ID: 133810 | CD: 10 | Familiar Taming
> Familiar Tamed!

Edited by Basuke

When it was done, it wriggled again, eyes turned up in joy. Basuke couldn’t help but smile, and wipe off the crumbs from his hands. Now that it seemed to stop bothering him, the boy rose from his crouch--

-- It still crawled onto his shoes.

…?

Basuke sighed, unable to move without kicking the thing off his feet again. He lowered himself, picking up the creature with his hands, trying to examine it over. It let out a squeaky screech, wobbling.

What… what was this thing...??

“Hey, look,” he spoke to it, nose close to its face, with some amount of annoyance. “I have to go now. I’m terribly sorry to have bothered you, but I hope you enjoyed the treat.”

“ScreeEEee!!”

“W-wha--”

It hopped out of his grasp. The gliding across his palms felt more like leather or scales than slime, and the creature deftly it sunk into his hoodie pockets, somehow dexterously leaping in midair to squeeze into his jacket.

---??

“Ughhhh…..” Basuke let out an annoyed groan, the realization of what might’ve happened striking him in the moment. He felt the small worm massage at his clothes, making itself comfortable. Please don’t tell me…

Pulling up his menus again, he took a glance at his quest journal -- yeah, yeah. He’d completed the requirements without supposedly meaning to. Dammit…

When the bean stuck its head out, squeaking, Basuke pet it gently, feeling it’s smooth skin. “I guess I’m stuck with you now,” he commented, much to the joy of the soil baby. “The first thing I should do is figure out what you are. Do you need to take anything from here?”

ID: 133846 | LD: 12 (5, +7) | Material Search

Edited by Basuke

“I guess not,” the boy concluded with a scan. With a finger, he rubbed his new friend’s soft head, starting to step out of the cave. “What were you even doing in there, anyway?”

“ScrEeEe!”

A hum. It’s not like Basuke could understand the creature. It was so plump and round and… fragile. What was it -- how did it even live its life? With a sigh and a shrug, he continued on, taking a peek around the woods. If he was carrying something away from its home… He felt like he needed to be careful.

Although… it didn’t exactly show any signs of living in that cave… With a frown, he started to wonder if it even had a family that was looking for it. Surely, it must, right?

His thoughts were cut short by a sparkle of white dropping from the tree leaves beside him. Basuke halted, then went over to look at it. An item.

ID: 133847 | LD: 21 (14, +7) | Material Search
+ T1 Material (1)

Edited by Basuke

He examined the white orb in his hands for a moment, before storing it into his inventory. A material? He didn’t remember them looking like this to begin with, but… then again, he hadn’t exactly been looking around for them, had he?

Rising from his crouch, he began to walk away, when another thud behind him made the boy turn around. Basuke’s sights met another white orb where there had just been one earlier. A tiny shrill from the thing in his pocket, and he shrugged, lowering himself to pick up the new material again.

This… was new, right? Not like Cardinal was messing with him or anything?

Whisking it away into his possessions, he set his arms to his sides, bowing deeply towards the tree for its gifts. “Thank you for the boons,” he muttered, eyes to the ground. He felt a wiggling of the creature in his jacket, almost as though it was bowing too. Hah. It might’ve been cute to see.

ID: 133848 | LD: 16 (9, +7) | Material Search
+ T1 Material (1)

Edited by Basuke

Basuke wondered for a moment what the materials would be good for. So far, he’d been actively using them as tradable goods -- a form of currency more preferred or desired by other members of the community. But with his funds basically depleted, he speculated his food situation might be a hint more dire than once thought of.

A grumble, from his throat and his stomach. Had it been that long of a journey already? Didn’t he have that cup of hot cocoa? It should’ve been enough to keep him satisfied. The disturbance made the creature he’d kinda stolen wriggle out for a peek, Basuke’s lucky charm in its jaws. 

“Hey. That’s mine. Put it back.” 

A screech and a wiggle, the worm almost hopping out of his cozy seat. Basuke ran his thumb up it’s smooth face, before picking up the omamori by its string, looking it over. “What is it?”

ID: 133849 | LD: 8 (1, +7) | Material Search

Edited by Basuke

Now it was time for Basuke to shriek, as the tiny wiggling body leaped out of his pocket fully, diving head first into the earth. In a moment’s notice, it wiggled its way into the earth, leaving a mound of dirt and a small hole in its wake.

“H-hey, where are you going?!” 

The player ducked down, face close to the soil, beginning to dig at where his little buddy had went in the scuffle. With the omamori bitten down between his teeth by its string, Basuke pulled at the muck, trying to catch a glimpse of the creature under what sunlight passed through the forest canopy. In a moment, he went from seeing brown to white, finding a small white orb stuck between his fingers. A tug and a wiggle at it, and the material was out.

A softer screech, as Basuke sent the item away into his possessions. “Okay, that’s a cool party trick, but where are you?!”

ID: 133866 | LD: 17 (10, +7) | Material Search
+ T1 Material (1)

Edited by Basuke

Another few calls from the earth. Basuke persisted, moving over to his right now. His earthen hands began to brush away untouched dirt for a moment, until his fingers hit something… cold. Smooth. His friend--?

Expecting to see muddied gold, he instead found silver metal, its highlights causing the casing to glisten. Sparkling texture littered its surface as he continued to brush off the dirt around it, keeping an eye out for his friend. The unearthing of the item occurred first, though the boy took his time to do it -- with a steady crouch and a worn exhale, he grabbed what sides of the item he could and heaved, doing his best to lift up his finding.

--- A chest! A real, pirate-like treasure chest! The boy couldn’t believe his eyes, his butt hitting the floor as he let go of the item, once it was on solid ground. With a few waves of his hand, he brushed off the dirt surrounding its frame.

ID: 133867 | LD: 20 (13, +7) | Treasure Chest Search
> You spot something -- a buried treasure chest!

Edited by Basuke