[PP-F10] Fire In the Hole! (I believe I can fly)

"I knew people Married for lots of reasons." Mari commented as her eyes glanced over his stats and shared inventory with Shield. Made sense really, she could easily imagine Shield forcing Beat to marry him for the bonuses. Mari straightened and offered Beat a small, weak smile as she nudged him with her elbow. "I'm not gonna rile you for bein' married to Shield. I just know your type now - rugged and with a beard." Mari tugged on an imaginary beard on her chin, pretending to stroke it. "The quicker you admit your type the easier time ya'll have."

She shouldn't be the one giving such advice - Mari was terrible with relationships.She was thankful for the distraction as Beat opened the door to his home. It...seemed nice, at least from the entrance - Mari always forgot how big places could be here. "It's like a more fancier version of my lil' nook."  Mari ran a hand along one of the walls. It reminded her of Japan. "You live there right?" She paused, realizing that he probably didn't know what she was asking. "Japan I mean. I was there - Living just outside of Osaka. Though I'd get moved a lot for my job." Why was she telling him this? He probably didn't care. Mari coughed and pulled her hand away to cross over her chest. Instead, covering up thoughts of her life with a joke. "I bet your room in the real world is far less clean than this."

Her retort fell flat and her smile faded when he mentioned the hole again. "Beat..." Why was he being so flippant about his own life? It bothered her. Mari didn't care if she died, but hearing someone say that their death would be good? "No." She said quietly. "It's not good." She hugged herself tighter. "I'd miss you for one. And you -" She paused. Who was she of all people telling him he shouldn't throw his life away?

Mari glanced up at the vaulted ceiling, eyes following a particular beam of wood. She didn't feel quite right here... it felt oddly  warm and comforting. She shook her head and gave his shoulder a squeeze before stepping away. "I'm sorry Beat...I think it'd be best if I left. I do hope to see you again soon." She chanced him a soft smile before turning and leaving.

Edited by Mari
  • 5 months later...