[SP-F3] <<Earning a Living>>

Last time Ayane had headed into the Forest of Wavering Mist after dark it had been a nightmare, her customer had run off and ditched her, and she was being hunted by the Forest's after hours ambush predators, a hard monster spawn called <>. Of course, that monster spawn had been the whole reason she had come into the forest, she had been farming the Gargoyles for their hides, and excellent dark leather material she could use to create high quality leather gear. She would have likely died if it had not been for her new guild mate 9Lives appearing. Together they had fought their way out of the Forest.

Now she had come back to the Forest, after having leveled up a little, and equipped with a new weapon. Last time it had been a fight for survival, this time it was going to be a personal challenge. Ayane had almost given up hope last time she was here, before her rescuer had arrived, and that was not something she could allow. She had been hopeless once before, it had almost destroyed her. She would never allow that to happen again, not if she could still fight to survive. So here she was, back in the forest, listening to the heavy breathing of the Forest's apex monster predator, <>. They liked to hide in the trees and brush, hopping out and attacking in the hopes of catching players unaware, but she was ready.

She knew she had an enemy nearby, because she could hear it creeping around from branch to branch. She was doing her best to remain completely calm, completely still, just waiting for the inevitable attack to come... Last time this tactic had barely worked, and she had taken as many hits as she avoided, but she was higher level now, and way better equipped. She fully planned to make a few Gargoyles her bitch tonight. Then, with a soft growl, the <> dropped, lashing out with it's claws. She was perfectly ready, and twisted right under the blow, her dagger held at the ready as she prepared her attack, lashing out with a quick thrust into the creature's side from a low stance, her stilleto blade piercing between the ribs and into the chest cavity.

Battle Dice: 10 (Critical)

Damage: 1 Base + 2 (dagger) x 2 (Critical) = 6

Ayane: 15

Lesser Gargoyle: 4/10

The gargolye looked similiar to an ugly hairless ape, except for it's squashed bat like face. It roared with rage at her deep wound, and abruptly swung it's club like fist in a quick backhand trying to knock her away. That was the disadvantage of her dagger, she could do damage quickly if she got in close, but if she were knocked away she had almost no range advantage. She wasn't quite prepared for the quick move, and it barely connected, not enough to knock her back, but enough to keep her from being in advantageous position to launch a new attack. Deciding to conserve her energy, she waited, wanting to make sure she hit before she tried to close the distance and land an attack.

Battle Dice: 3

Damage: None

Ayane: 14/15

Lesser Gargoyle: 4/10

She had to keep the monster engaged, or else it would just back into hiding, so even though she had not attacked, she stayed close, barely out of range of it's meaty fists, and circled for an opening. When she thought she had a clear path to it's side, she tensed, ready to rush in, her blade held at the ready. When the big arm separated from the torso, she dashed in low, thrusting her dagger in quickly, penetrating into the monster's side with the thin blade. Fighting with this stilleto was like fighting with a needle! And while she loved it, she did wish she had a better cutting blade. But no matter, she had dropped the monster's health into the red area.

Battle Dice: 4 + 2 (Accessory) = 6

Damage: 1 + 2 (Weapon) = 3

Lesser Gargoyle: 1/10

Just one more hit, she could tell by it's health bar that it was almost dead. That meant she had to decide whether to press her advantage and go for the kill, or back off and wait for the proper moment to attack. Monsters behaved a little unpredictably once they were struck down into the red area, and she didn't know what kind of attack it might try if she just rushed in. But considering that last time she had been in real trouble against these monsters, she couldn't help but feel better about how far she had come with her skill since her last time she had faced the Gargoyles.

The only problem with waiting for an opening against an ambush enemy, is that they might flee back into hiding. She isn't in any real danger, but she doesn't want to prolong the fight unnecessarily. So she has to attack soon, or risk it hopping back into the foliage. But it is flailing in a frenzy, maddened with 'pain' or whatever these monsters felt when they were close to death. It was enough to make her want to curse, because her short weapon didn't give her the reach to get inside those swinging club like arms. As much as it annoyed her, she had to wait for the opening.

The Gargoyle stumbled bending low on it's stubby little legs, ready to hop back into the trees. She had to attack now, or else it would gain the advantage again. Hoping to cut it down before it escaped, she rushed in with her needle like dagger leading for it's back. But she was too slow, and it made it's jump before she could get close enough to finish it off. Now she was stuck playing the waiting game, for it to come hopping back down to attack.

Battle Dice: 2 + 2 = Fail

Damage: N/A

Crouching low, her dagger at the ready, she waited straining her ears to detect some hint of sound that would tell her where her enemy waited. Her experience with the Gargoyles told her she likely wasn't going to have to wait long, because they were quick to go for the kill. A rustle of branches was her only warning, but she turned quickly and leapt to meet the attack, driving her blade into the chest of her enemy monster even as it tried to claw her with it's huge claws. A second later it burst into fragments, slain by her final attack.

Battle Dice: 8 Success!

Damage: 1 + 2 (weapon) = 3

Gargoyle: 0/10

A figure watched from a nearby tree branch as the battle commenced, evolved and concluded with the victor being the young female fighter. He quietly jumped off of the tree branch and onto the ground, slowly walking towards the girl. He carefully pulled out his Kodachi and crouched down holding the blade in front of him. He slowly approached the female fighter and stepped out in front of her, his ornate shinobi armor glistening in the light. "You, I challenge you to a duel. Face me, Hanzo Hattori in combat. Face my Path of Shadows, and bring me another victory to my art and honor to my name." He spoke in a serious tone and waited for her response, his eyes bright in the shadow of his helmet making it the only visible part of his actual body. "Defeat me and I shall reward you with my blessing and curse."

Ayane dropped into a crouch and readied her weapon as soon as she heard the new player arrive. Or at least, she thought it was a player. She had never seen a human enemy before, just humanish monsters. But whoever or whatever this nutjob was, he wanted to fight. She spared a glance at her Hp, which was regenerating her lost hit point and hesitated for a moment, wondering what he meant by blessing and curse, before narrowing her eyes. "I'm not the type to run from a fight, so you got yourself a duel." She said, pulling up the duel menu and sending the request to the strange ninja dude. "I don't plan on losing. So I'm looking forward to whatever your gift is." Crap, those were some bold words. Now she really hoped this didn't blow up in her face.

Hanzo gripped his weapon tightly as his eyes narrowed and accepted the duel challenge. "I see, a true warrior who does not run from battle. You will make an excellent opponent." He took a crouching stance and stared at the girl intently. The forest area seemed to have fallen in complete silence and that could be heard was the whistling of the wind. "Very well then, I shall allow you to commence this battle. Prepare yourself for I will not hold back."

She wasn't sure if she should consider that a compliment, or a death wish. It might have been a mistake to just blindly accept this whole duel thing without knowing how much HP her enemy had. Ayane was pretty confident in her gear, most of which had been made herself, but she had no idea what level this guy was, or anything. But then she got mad. Was she getting scared? Oh hell no, she wouldn't let herself get scared of living again. And with that thought in mind, she attacked! And boy, that was a mistake. So caught up in her anger at herself, her aim was way off, downright awful.

Dice: 1 Fail

Damage: Nadda!

He moved back putting some space between them and watched her for a few seconds. He gripped his Kodachi tightly and ran up to her stabbing the blade into her side, violently twisting it afterwards, and then finally retracting the blade. He moved back as his attacked caused a Bleeding effect. "Jagged Blade... Far too simple to strike you..."

Jagged Blade - (2-hit strike) The player stabs the blade into an enemy's side, adding a violent twist, and then retracts the blade.

(Inflicts the 'Bleeding' condition; dealing 3 extra damage over the next 3 consecutive posts)

What was this? She had never seen this type of status before, was it a DoT that wasn't poison? She was in major trouble! She had never seen this skill or this condition before, and it was only his first attack. She checked her HP, seeing that it took another minor hit, dropping almost 1/3 of the way in one strike. Even in her fright she realized that a big reason was she had been hit with a critical attack, but DoT damage was not something she had ever expected. But she wouldn't give into despair now, not again! So she grit her teeth and charged an attack of her own, closing the distance and letting loose with Rapid Bite. And missed again. Was her panic really that bad? She wouldn't stand a chance at this rate if she didn't calm herself.

DoT Damage: 1

Dice: 2

Damage: Nadda!

Ayane: 12/15

Hanzo Hattori: ??/??

Hanzo could sense the girls increasing worry and distress. "Do not panic or it will be your undoing. Now Rapid Bite..." He stated as he ran up to the girl and did three quick thrusts into her chest, his blade glowing in reaction the sword skill being used. "You must strike quickly but carefully."

She wasn't sure what was worse, the fact that she was getting absolutely destroyed, or the calm tone her enemy took as he gave her advice. But she knew what he said was true, her run away emotions were going to get her killed! Closing her eyes for a moment, she tried to force herself to calm down. Then, opening her eyes and breathing out a slow breath, she reached for the pouch at her waist, and pulled free one of the coveted crystals. Never be unprepared. Using the crystal, she breathed a sigh of relief as her HP replenished. She was lucky her shop was profitable enough to afford the expensive Healing Crystals, but she had known they would one day save her life. Taking her dagger in hand again, and feeling a sense of calm, she charged her Rapid Bite and attacked again with all her speed and precision.

DoT Damage: 1

Dice: 6 Success!

Damage: 1 (base) + 2 (weapon) = 3

Hanzo Hattori: ??/??

Hanzo smiled as he was struck and retreated back. He kept a certain distance from his opponent and breathed slowly. He observed her closely and planned how to strike. He decided on using his Pommel Strike and charged at her only to miscalculate his trajectory. He knew he'd missed and failed to attack correctly.

Hanzo Hattori: 17/20

She had twisted away at the last second, but that was from luck alone. This guy used Sword Skills she had never even heard of, and with his DoT ability, even a single attack could do some real lasting harm. Normally she would circle around him, wait him out, look for opportunities, but the Bleeding attacks changed everything. She could wait all day for the proper openings, while he just bled her dry and waited until she died. That meant she had to attack, or die. Suddenly this fight didn't really seem all that different. Rushing in low, leading with her dagger, she attacked again, sinking her blade into the mystery enemy's belly before darting back, her heart hammering in her chest.

Dice: 5 + 2 (Accessory) = 7 Success!

Damage: 1 + 2 (Weapon) = 3

Hanzo Hattori: 14/20

He jumped back after being hit by the girls attack and crouched down. "Good, you're acting quickly and efficiently." He spun his blade tossing into the air slightly and caught it with his right hand, the blades tip facing the right. "Now show me what else you are capable of, you'll bring honor to my name if I defeat a strong opponent such as yourself." He lowered himself slightly and dashed towards her quickly, he turned sideways as he reached her doing 3 stabs to her chest. "Rapid Bite..."

Ayane: 13/15

Hanzo Hattori: 14/20