[F5-SP] <<Feeding Your Enemy>> - Freyd

"Yup.  I just spent all my luck again finding that familiar, didn't I?"

Freyd was flat on his back again after another heavy swat from the back of the scorpion's pincer.  A quick roll to the right just dodged the strike of its tail.  Scrambling back to his feet again he caught the same blue eyes staring quizzically at him, this time from behind a boulder.

"Don't judge," he clamored, "you have no idea what I had to go through before we found each other."  Persi did, actually; she had been trailing him stealthily since this whole misadventure began.  Freyd either wasn't a particularly good fighter, or he was often in over his head.  It could be both.  It was his good heart and determination that had garnered her attention.

"I swear that the random number generator just has it out for me."  He deflected another tail strike and batted away another pincer with a pommel blow.  It occurred to him how it was strange that he was suddenly willing to speak his thoughts out loud now that he felt like someone was listening.  The scorpion didn't care.

Spoiler

image.png.d6ce4b8cdaf59b4b7e5e4ed184122ab2.png

[1] Freyd: 180/180 | 14/18 (-2 +2) | DMG: 5 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 14 | ACC: 2 | SAV 1 | KEEN 1 | Bleed 1 | Holy 1 -> triggered REC 1, spent and re-triggered SAV 1 

[0] Giant Scorpion 70/90 (-20) | DMG: 27

Edited by Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His foe would be more hesitant to try another tail strike after Freyd's latest slash had nearly cut it off.  The scorpion switched to relying on its two large pincers instead, which were admittedly still formidable.  Freyd's metal blade clanged loudly as it repeatedly clashed against the thing's heavy shell.  Persi had also returned to dancing about, further infuriating the beast and causing it.

He had also neglected to consider the risk posed by its mandibles, until they nearly cut his arm in half.  Thank goodness for his vambraces.  He had to beat it with a the hilt in the head a few times before it finally let him go.

Things improved once he managed to get some distance between them again, where he could swing more cleanly.  Several parts of its chitin had cracked, leaving the pulpy, underlying flesh exposed and vulnerable.  They made tempting targets, if you could land a few well-placed thrusts.

Spoiler

image.png.8d1a6fa215c4c80936c43b72378cfd50.png

[2] Freyd: 180/180 | 12/18 (-4 +2) | DMG: 5 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 14 | ACC: 2 | SAV 1 | KEEN 1 | Bleed 1 | Holy 1 -> triggered REC 1, spent and re-triggered SAV 1, triggered KEEN 1 

[0] Giant Scorpion 50/90 (-20) | DMG: 27

"Huzzah!"  Was that the expression?  He wasn't sure.  Did anyone even say that anymore? The scorpion wished it had never been said at all.  The thing was twitching like a stuck pig with Forgiven Disobedience stuck halfway to the hilt in a gap between its head and right arm, white, pulpy goo splurting out all over the place, especially all over Freyd.  He was drenched from head to toe with it, dearly hoping that it would vanish as soon as the beast disintegrated, and eagerly watching its health bar for the moment to come.

Persistence was jumping happily all around it, ecstatic that its companion had finally figured out the importance of a well-timed critical strike.  She seemed sure that she could teach him to repeat the feat, with the proper training.  It might yet be possible to make a proper mongoose out of him.

"Don't get cocky," Freyd cautioned, "it still has a bit of fight in it.  Let's celebrate once it's gone."

Spoiler

image.png.cc397b47386f73a78bbfe4e712bff555.png

[3] Freyd: 180/180 | 9/18 (-4 +1) | DMG: 5 (+4) | EVA: 0 | MIT: 14 | ACC: 2 | SAV 1 | KEEN 1 | Bleed 1 | Holy 1 -> spent and re-triggered SAV 1,  spent and re-triggered KEEN 1,  triggered Holy DMG 1, triggered BLEED 1

[0] Giant  2/90 (-36 -12 bleed) | DMG: 27 -> bleed 12 next turn

As expected, the scorpion soon bled out and vanished completely.  The white marshmallowy goo that covered Freyd disappeared and Persi was quick to scramble onto his back, its head sniffing at his neck and shoulders, trying to figure out where it had gone.  Chuckling softly to himself, Freyd collected the thing's loot.  Hopefully, this would be the last of their challenged before returning to Fortaleza.  He'd had enough of this desert for a while and was looking to moving ahead with other schemes he'd left simmering in the back of his mind.  

Persi craned and stretched her neck out for a moment, sniffing at the air.  Freyd was immediately on guard again, wary of another attack so soon after the last ambush?  Her instincts had been good so far.  He had no reason to doubt them now.  Jumping down from his shoulder, she wandered over to the patch of crusted sand from which the scorpion had emerged.

Spoiler

image.png.e461e665b597daeca19270fd263d21aa.png

[3] Freyd: 180/180 | 9/18 | DMG: 5 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 14 | ACC: 2 | SAV 1 | KEEN 1 | Bleed 1 | Holy 1 -

[0] Giant  2/90 (-36 -12 bleed) | DMG: 27 -> dead

Loot (think I linked the last post for this roll, by mistake)

630 col (3* hp + [2* hp ] from even CD + [2*hp] from LD)

(2x) T1 crafting materials (LD odd)

1 Rare Armor/Shield

Persi spent another minute approaching the patch, then digging lightly at its edges before rolling around in it, thrashing it all about like she was giving herself a sand bath.

"That was it?" Freyd said, letting his sword clank against the ground to emphasize his disappointment?  "Seriously?"  

The mongoose cared nothing about his complaints.  She was quite content and lingered deliberately, staring as if daring him to do anything.

Freyd just resumed his walk back to town.  Persi finished up, then raced back to his side, nuzzling against his leg in a surprisingly cat-like manner.  "Marking me with scent, huh?  I suppose that follows."

The gypsy woman met them at the gate, as if she'd been waiting there the entire time.  She gave a knowing smile to Persi, and Freyd couldn't shake the feeling like this entire thing had somehow been a setup.  Not that it mattered.  It was done, and Billy's instincts had been spot on: he was a mongoose person, after all.

Spoiler

image.png.e0cbc80405ed5a0391774e41adf19851.png

Need LD 15+.  No treasure chest.

Reward Summary:

5 SP (3 for 60+ pages, 1 quest, 1 event)

4,530 col (1,200 for 60+ posts, plus loot rolls)

10x T1 Crafting Materials

2x T1 Rare Trinket (Acquisition ID#152554, 152698)

2x T1 Rare Armor/Shield (Acquisition ID#152782, 153018)

Gain a Familiar (Eval submitted)