[SP|F24] <<Incognito Analysis>> Sneaking Through

<<Incognito Analysis>>

After having helped the Chief out with a fight in the Colosseum, Chase found it somewhat hard to resist helping him out in finding whatever traitor tried to assassinate him. He was now moving around the settlement in the twenty fourth, huffing and doing his best to find Uso-Tsuki. He was well aware about how careful he should be, however. The man was highly wary and good at spotting tails- same for Chase. Except this time, Ariel wasn't the one following him, and he wasn't the one doing the finding. That put him in a rough spot, honestly.

"Wait, that man...". Just when he was about to reach the end of the settlement, he saw a cloaked figure that resembled the traitor he was warned about. He quickly ran to the nearest corner and kept his eyes on him, preparing himself mentally to slowly keep going right behind him and continue to sneak. If he did everything right, he'd be good to go. He'd have all the information he needs to protect the Chief and tell him how the next planned attack would play out, making it much easier to counteract. If not, it'd be a pain in the ass to get out of this situation, but he knew there'd be another way out of it regardless. "It's about taking the easy way out..."

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 52
HP: 1070/1070
EN: 104/104

Stats:
Damage: 18
Mitigation: 43
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 3
BH:32
VAMP DEF:53
FRZ:24
BLD:24
HLY BLS:16
LD:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<Zero Degree Icicle>> (T2/Perfect/2HSS): ACC I, FRZ I, BLD I
Armor: <<Azure Overcoat>> (T2/Perfect/Light Armor): V.DEF I, HBS I, MIT I
Misc: <<Chained Bracelet>> (T2/Perfect/Trinket): EVA II, ACC I

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Battle Healing [Rank 3]
Searching [Rank 1]
Fighting Spirit [Obtained]
Howl [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Fighter
Survival
Disguise

Mods:
2HSS Finesse [R3]
Precision
Athletics
Sprint & Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(heal 50HP)*3
Insta-Life ++ (T2/Perfect/HP REC III)*1
Woodland Armor (T2/Perfect) MIT III (1/3)*1
Teleport Crystal [F21]*1
Imugi's Inspiration (Mass HP Recovery)*3
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

It didn't take more than a bit of following the cloaked figure around to see them enter a hideout. A cellar, of sorts, near the outskirts of the settlement. Chase silently followed right behind, but he unluckily stepped too abruptly down on the wooden staircase, causing a creak. Despite the figure not looking behind him, it was obvious that they were beginning to grow suspicious no matter how far they were. Now that he'd accidentally planted a seed of paranoia in the back of their mind, he was not too hopeful about his results.

It ended off in a basement, where various cloaked figures discussed among themselves. As soon as Uso-Tsuki sat down, he began to discuss with the rest. It was all about, unsurprisingly enough, assassinating the Chief once more. "As expected... Fuck though, try to keep cover from here on out, you idiot...", he gruntled as silently as he could, taking a deep breath and trying to pay attention.

Spoiler

image.png.9c01635464e5febd53fe00069aea93cc.png

Stealth Roll: 3
Stealth Detection (Uso-tsuki): 12

ChaseR: HP: 1070/1070 | EN: 104/104 | DMG: 18 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 3 | MIT: 43 | BH: 32 | FRZ: 24 | BLD: 24 | V.(DEF): 53 | HBS: 16 | LD: 2

Successful Attempts: 0/3
Failed Attempts: 1/5

Edited by ChaseR

He was well hidden, or so he thought at least, behind a few barrels and gave it his all. He tried to hear what the lot were discussing among themselves, seemingly there was... four? He couldn't quite see without getting out of the covers right now. They were speaking much, much too lowly for the bluehead to understand a lot though. He tried to focus, but it only resulted in him stumbling onto the barrels just lightly and letting out a low groan, getting the group to raise their heads and ask rather loudly.

"Do you hear anything moving around there in the back?", a gruffy, bigger one than the rest asked. Thankfully for blue, who began to break a cold sweat, he heard the assumed traitor just shake it off, waving his hand in dismissal and shrugging it away. "It's probably just a pest. I heard something from under the staircase too, pay no mind if it doesn't keep up."

Spoiler

image.png.0d35e797d1a84534ebff9258d6862669.png

Stealth Roll: 9

ChaseR: HP: 1070/1070 | EN: 104/104 | DMG: 18 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 3 | MIT: 43 | BH: 32 | FRZ: 24 | BLD: 24 | V.(DEF): 53 | HBS: 16 | LD: 2

Successful Attempts: 0/3
Failed Attempts: 2/5

Edited by ChaseR

For once a volume that he could understand, but what felt worse was the prospect they were onto him. Hopefully not. At least not yet. He had to get all the intel he could first. With that, they got carried away and kept their tones more raised. It was good. Now he could slowly pick up on clues throughout their discussion. First, they mentioned the word assassination. That was a good confirmation he was spot on. Chase didn't just have to rely on the fact that they looked shady and held a meeting in secret.

Next up, he heard two names getting dropped. He wasn't quite sure if himself or anybody else could pin down who exactly the two people were, one called "Difenda" and the other "Purotekuta". "The hell is that about? Somebody trying to pronounce Defender and Protector as foreign as possible..?". No matter, he was starting to get some progress done with this scouting session.

Spoiler

image.png.f85fb685fdddb3a0a2e19daea126f75b.png

Stealth Roll: 12 + 1 (Multi-Purpose) = 13

Successful Attempts: 1/3

Edited by ChaseR

Next up, he heard the next important word before the two cloaked figures standing opposite of Uso-Tsuki decided to raise their two hands and not in agreement with a gruff "Right." in unison. So they must have been "Difenda" and "Purotekuta". Looking back at what made them say that, it was easy to piece everything together. "Moving on, you two will act as my bodyguards. You're the strongest guards at my disposal that I can trust, got it?". It sounded like whatever the plan was, they were quite serious.

Now the only thing that he didn't quite know yet was the route that they were planning to take. Once he knew that, he would be easily able to halt them after notifying the Chief. If they began to move the plan into gear too quickly, then that only meant that he would have to stop them before the Chief was in any true danger.

Spoiler

image.png.4748a6323d20b02d6f1807487ae97f59.png

Stealth Roll: 20

Successful Attempts: 2/3

Edited by ChaseR

"I don't really know their levels, neither do I know what skills they have... Hopefully they're like most NPCs and just attack aimlessly, swinging their weapons around pointlessly...". And just when he was about to keep going on with his inner monologue, came the drop. The route that they were going to take towards the Chief's hut further out onto one of the floating isles, he heard all about it. He no longer had any reason to keep sitting by idly and listening to them.

It didn't seem as if they would start their attack anytime soon, meaning that he had plenty of time to prepare. He could probably already warn the Chief in advance to move away, and while he was relocating, the boy would take care of all three of them and put them in their place- either six feet under, as he had to, or somewhere in a jail cell to rot.

Spoiler

image.png.5d270fb94e6376d4d1cdc389fdb9730d.png

Stealth Roll: 15

Successful Attempts: 3/3

[All intel has been collected. Quest objective finished.]

Edited by ChaseR

Knowing how the game went though, it didn't matter whether he killed them or not. He was going to have them respawn even if he somehow managed to fail the mission, same as the Chief. It certainly took the immersion out of the setting and ruined his mood much more than he wished, but it was inevitable all the same the way things were. It was the only way for every player to experience the quest. Then again, those weren't the first thoughts in his head. Chase had gotten into this alright, ready to deliver all the intel back as he practically dashed out of the cellar.

He wasn't aware whether any of the bunch had caught onto him before he heard heavy footsteps going up the stairs. He quickly opened up his inventory and slapped on a vanity cloak, running out of the settlement to not attract any suspicion and beginning to go down one of the man-made bridges to escape. He looked behind him to see the huge figure giving chase, groaning and letting out a 'tsk'. 

"Of course I get the heaviest lifter. Gotta get out of his sight somehow.", he grumbled on his own while looking for anywhere to maneuvre him- and then he found it. He began to head towards one of the isles that was more like a forest, grinning. Monsters would probably be there, and even putting that aside, the trees should provide him good enough cover to assist his escape. "Let's see just how good I am at running for once, heh!", he gave his fastest sprint, assisted by his Light Armor's mod in running faster than his usual. Seeing as he'd never run from somebody before in Aincrad this way, it was exhilerating.

Feeling the adrenaline pump throughout his body, running out of breath just slightly despite his energy bar still being full... He'd missed this feeling from the real world. Even if they were to get into combat, Chase could easily kick his ass and get done with it.

. He just wanted to let his desires take over, feel the joy of being back in the real world once more. He laughed with every step, letting the wind blow against his body. "Even in this damned castle, I'd forgotten how great it feels. To run, to feel free, to let the air blow against me as I run towards wherever the hell I want. H-Hahahah!", his laugh only continue, and with a 'woosh' he was lost in the forest's foliage. The bulkier figure followed right behind him, groaning and hacking with a short machete at the trees and vines that hung down.

Same with the bushes, same with whatever else got in the way of his search for the intruder that had overheard their plans. In the meantime, Chase continued to trot his way around the forest, between the trees, through the bushes. His 'hunter' wasn't too far away, but he was well out of sight. "Show yourself, you brat!"

And then, the bushes before the massive figure rustled. It wasn't long before a wolf jumped right out of the bushes and towards the larger creature, trying to bite at him. The monsters that lived on the island didn't take too kindly to intruders, let alone the loud ones. Chase's laughter had been drowned out as soon as the boy set foot on the island, knowing he'd attract too much attention from this island's inhabitants. And with that, he began to make his way around the ongoing fight between Hogo-Sha and the wolf, who was howling in hopes of summoning more of his friends.

That would do, keep him busy and give the boy a chance to get to the Chief first. He knew that the traitor and his squad weren't quite dumb however. They would easily pick up on the fact the bluehead had dealt with them and make their way for the Chief with just the other three. Whether Hogo-Sha was going to tag along as extra manpower for the assassination or not, initially at least, he knew not.

Giving it another thought, maybe he shouldn't have darted out of the cellar and attracted their attention. Hell, what if Uso-Tsuki, Difenda and Purotekuta had already made their way for the Chief to assassinate him. Seeing as all four were NPCs, they probably knew how to get to him and would do so as soon as they got the chance to, whether their large friend was with or not. "Then, I need to get to the Chief fast.", he concluded and with another dash, he was right back out of the forest and running up the bridge that he had just gone down to lure the large boss out.

"I don't know how strong that guy was, but the monsters are tough. If it's a one on one, I'll see him again. If not, he'd better have some skills at the ready.", he thought as a little snarky remark, but this wasn't the time to be cool or self righteous. He had to save the Chief while the plan was still in the works- if it hadn't been finalized yet, of course.

At this big a distance, Chase had a headstart compared to the bouncer. He was no longer a problem in any way. Now, he had to just turn all his attention to the other three. He quickly took his cloak off and stashed it back into his inventory, running more freely now that he was burdened by nothing more than his armor. He was used to running in his overcoat, shorts and hoodie however. "So I've got to get to the Chief. He's up the next two isles, so all I'll need to do is race the sky bridges and I've succeeded- heh. I expected this to be much rockier!"

Despite how the quest was smooth sailing up to now, it had become a matter of speed. And seeing as he'd already outrun one of the four, the only other problem were the three assassins left. "Uso-Tsuki... I'll have to fight him too, and probably kill him then, before he gets to the Chief."

If Chase hadn't distracted Hogo-Sha, it was Hogo-Sha that distracted Chase and dragged him away from the rest. He couldn't fight all four of them or waste any time, health and energy on that one though, either. "... They mustn't have thought that I would be there, they were barely wary of anybody sneaking around in the first place by the looks of it.", he tried to reassure himself. Whether they wanted to truly divert his attention away from the main group or not, they'd succeeded all the same and in this case, results were all that mattered. 

By now, the bluehead had reached all the way back to the settlement's island. He took a turn outside of it and kept on going straight for the bridge, getting onto the next one. Another upward sprint- this would get on his nerves once he was able to even get mad about it. He could see three figures further up ahead, but it was a fair distance from him. "D-Damn it, they already got started with carrying their plan out?!"

It was starting to get to him. Every step made time feel like it passed slower and slower, seconds feeling almost like minutes. With how much fun he had, he forgot that the world around him continued to move. "What if I don't get there in time? Damn it...". His mind had almost instantly started to get negative about it. The closer to the group he got, the less of a difference he felt like catching up would make. They were just getting on the second bridge, and by its end was a hut in the middle of the island it led to. That was where the Chief waited for the news that he'd be able to rest easy.

He couldn't fail. Chase couldn't let the Chief just die like that, get assassinated with all the intel in place. He had to quickly deliver on his promise and get the assassins out of the way. "Snap out of it, just keep your cool damn it..!", he grunted and shook his head, getting back into the game. 

And with that, he picked up on the speed. He began to kick harder down at the ground and with every step, he went just a little bit faster. A confident smile spread on his face, looking almost smug. He remembered. "That's right. I'm a tank. I must protect everyone.", he bolstered his own confidence inside of his head, reaching the halfpoint of the bridge. It wouldn't be more than a minute or two by the time he was onto the island and right at the start of the next one. At this pace, it seemed almost as though he would catch them a bit 'early'.

Granted that they didn't stall much and were dealt with, all three at once, he would easily stop their plan and leave the quest giver to rest easy. The three moved on without their cloaks anymore. Two were obviously armed with a shield, and the last seemed to wield a katana. The same weapon as Shay, which was more potent than anything in one on one duels. 

"A weapon fitting of an assassin.". It now made even more sense that the raven rogue used a katana too, better in skirmishes than her boyfriend who paired up against multiple enemies better. All the more reason he wanted to face both the bodyguards and their captain at once. "I can't let anybody in my party died. And as far as I'm concerned, the Chief is in my party all the same for this quest.". He was right. The only objective he had was to stop the assassination. And if anything, he didn't fail.

He'd never thought about the perspective that the quests let you see through. Every game wanted you to feel like you were the hero, and just like that, even a virtual hellscape like Aincrad managed to do just that. He had gotten into the role of feeling like a hero fighting against true evil on his own, wanting to fight the trio as if his life depended on it. It had in fact convinced him that even the more mechanical parts of this world, were truly real. 

Now at the base of the first island, the boy let out a shout to get their attention, almost using Howl before he could truly engage them. They quickly turned and the bodyguards raised their shields, narrowed eyes right at the boy who began to reach for his sword and slide it out of its sheathe. "Stop in your tracks, you three!", he shouted, getting all of them to freeze. Not because he told them to, but rather because they were surprised that he appeared to have already caught up to them.

"What is that idiot doing?!", Uso-tsuki cried out in return, getting worried looks from his two guards. Less than a minute and he was all caught up, glaring them down and getting glared down in return. "I already know what you're all up to. Surrender and I'll simply take you to a jail cell.", he warned them with a straight face, narrowed eyes and a low growl in his voice.

Even then, with how menacing he could look, they just laughed in return. At least Uso-Tsuki did, Difenda and Purotekuta shrugged it off with a smirk, repositioning themselves to make sure that their shields guarded better. "What the hell? They really are set on carrying this out, aren't they?". As if they could read his mind, the assassin simply placed a hand on his katana's hilt and looked down at the boy's figure. "You expect an assassin and his two strongest bodyguards to just give up because you asked him to? Know your place, kid."

Before he could snarl at Uso-Tsuki, the other two simply nodded in unison and almost planted their feet into the ground. If anything, they were fully serious about fighting to the death. A solution that he didn't want to resort to, but he knew that would be the way they'd go down in the first place.

As much as he had gotten into the role of the righteous hero that would stop them and save the NPC in need, he wasn't delusional enough to imagine they'd just surrender kindly like that, say sorry and atone for their sins. "Difenda! Purotekuta! You know what to do, don't you?", he asked the two only to get a nod as Difenda looked back over his shoulder at his boss. "I hear you.". And then came Purotekuta with a slightly deeper voice, slowly taking a sword out of its sheathe. Unlike what Chase expected, it was rather dull, instead of sharp.

Still, it was a weapon an a sword nonetheless. "You can rely on us, Uso. Go get him. We'll hold the brat back.". Despite what they said, the bluehead could see through their facade. They were intent on carrying this out until he showed up- now they didn't seem quite as hellbent on it. If anything, they were buying time for the traitor to make his way out of there and find some place to hide.

With his battle stance ready, he grinned and even chuckled somewhat out of a rush. It was the adrenaline. His current position made him feel strong, maybe even much stronger than he really was. And now came the tough part of the quest. "Brat? Very well then. Hold me back as long as you can, before I get to your leader.", he taunted back. His icy blade started to reflect some of the sunlight their way, and a smirk came. It stayed onto his face, as he flashed some of the sunlight right in their face and heard a snarky response in return.

"Do you never get tired of all the theatrics, being a 'hero' or whatever? Getting in other people's way for the sake of feeling like you did what's right?". That question he could see coming, but it was just as easy to shrug off. He prepared himself, pulling his hind leg that much further back and readying himself for his classic lunge before every fight. "Only time I embraced it. Don't ruin it, 'kid'."

Spoiler

Thread Rewards:

• 7 SP (5 quest, 1 page, 1 event)
  • 5400 Col (5000 Col, 400 page)