[PP-F4] And so it begins...

Finally

Back on the fourth floor. How were there so many interruptions? After almost a month of solitude - it felt like the past few days left Mari without reprieve. Dealing with Freyd, then Chaser - and completing that quest with Zandra… just to name a few. Now she was finally back down on the fourth floor. 

It was exhausting. Mari was...tired.

She trudged through the snow with heavy, booted footsteps. Each one felt heavier than the last, weighed down with fatigue and exhaustion. Still. Mari would not - could not stop. She had to keep going. She had to keep fighting, even if it meant she had to keep stripping pieces of herself away to do it. Mari rubbed her freckled arms. The cold bit at her skin, causing goosebumps to rise but she welcomed it, she welcomed the familiar feeling of the icy winds that colored her nose and cheeks a rose pink.

To her, this frozen solitude was more of a home than anything else on Aincrad. 

@Felis

Felis had finally made it to the fourth floor, escaping the horrid sunny weather of the previous floors and finally reaching somewhere that felt like home to him. Taking a deep breath he strode through the snow the bitter winds reminding him of his life outside of the game, quickly shutting them away from his mind as walked.

In the distance, Felis began to see a figure through the thick falling snow he grimaced at the thought of having to interact with them but decided it would be best not to lose his track and kept moving forward through the thick snow, his coat dragging along it leaving a large indent as he moved which would be fine except for a large amount of snow splashing onto his ankles and landing in his shoes sending shivers down his spine as he shook his feet with every few steps trying to free himself from the icy torture. 

Before he could have realised the figure he saw in the distance was a lot closer, making it possible for him to make out some details which lead him to see a lot of orange "Who bloody wears orange in the middle of a blizzard?" he questioned out loud to himself.

@Mari

Spoiler

Felis: HP: 20/20 | EN: 2/2 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 9 | LM: 1

"Who bloody wears orange in the middle of a blizzard?"

Mari looked up to see a cloaked figure stalking toward her. She couldn't tell if he was happy, or angry to be on the floor.
"I dunno." Mari said in response as she straightened, nearing him - they were walking toward each other after all. "Can't be as mad as someone who wears the skull of a dead cat on his...err..." She paused. Was it a he? Best not assume. "On their face." Mari said with a final nod, gesturing to the skull that covered his eyes. All she could see of his face was the pale skin and lips down turned into a thin line. Mari went as far as to flick the stranger in the forehead.

"I don't know where you're goin' but the only thing back that way is the staircase to the fifth floor, and I can't fathom why someone like you would want to take the longer route."

It was the hardest thing about being a PKer- Mari couldn't just use the warp gates around town, her presence in them would alert guards. And upset the villagers. Although she found herself caring less and less about that second fact.

@Felis

Felis was taken back by the smaller human's presence and attitude towards him, staring down at her he returned the flick to the forehead with a flick of his own, making sure to apply a little more force than was necessary 

"How does something so small have the survival instincts of rock?" He said smirking widely, his sharp teeth showing. Before looking around the floor, he couldn't deny that it seems he had taken the wrong route, he had no desire to go to the fifth floor the only reason he came to the fourth was for the weather. "So uh, small thing where is the nearest village I need resources" Felis had no idea of the person in front of him's name and decided not to ask he decided rather make fun of her height every time he addressed her.

Felis held his cane tight in his hand, as much as he hated to admit it he knew this person was a PKer and unfortunately for him, he was ready to take one down yet.

Spoiler

@Mari

Edited by Felis

Mari snorted, amused. The survival instincts of a rock? That was a new one. "Well I-ow!" Mari bought her hand up to her forehead, brows furrowed in a small scowl. "I do have the survival skill, so It's not like I'm going to get any damage from..." Mari shook her head, giving the stranger a dismissive wave. "What am I doing explaining' it to you, I'm sure you know all about that." She was sure he didn't. But something about that grin was predatory, and he was tall, a little too tall for her liking. So yeh, Mari took out her tired frustration on him.

Mari turned her head to the side, the direction she was heading, her home was just beyond the treeline, nestled away from onlookers. Despite that...she was tempted to offer him a hot drink, away from the cold, unlike her though - he wore a thick coat. Shield always called her a witch for standing around in the cold dressed like she did.

"You...didn't come from there?" Mari asked, concern in her voice. "It's that way." Mari pointed near the direction of her home, but to the left slightly - where a path was barely visible. "If you follow that path down you'll hit a small village, think its called Snowfrost. What resources do ya need?" Mari tilted her head. "I may be inclined to help if I had a name to that necromancer-wanna-be face of yours."

@Felis

Felis turned his head in the direction she pointed in seeing the path, it was barely visible the dent looked nothing more than a small bump in the terrain. "I came from floor three I was sick of all the sunny luscious weather" Felis showed clear disgust on his face thinking about before shaking it off looking back down at small person in front of him. 

"I need healing potions and more quests to level myself up, Col as well but that should be obvious" He rolled his eyes slightly, he didn't want to take the pity of a stranger but he couldn't refuse the offer in his current condition. 

"My name is Felis. I suppose I should ask what yours is small creature?" He placed his cane down and held out his hand as his smile returned to his face, his long fingernails pointing out like claws the leather around the rest of his hand showing a clearly unwelcoming presence.

Spoiler

@Mari

Edited by Felis

It mustn't be that clear, because whatever unwelcoming presence his bony-ass clawlike hands had didn't seem to phase Mari. She was oblivious to it, perhaps it was because she had no real will to live, or perhaps it was because she was so tired she could barely string together a sentence - more so - it was probably her strength. 

"Mari." Mari offered as she extended her own hand, neatly manicured fingernails wrapped around his hand as his clasped over hers and squeezed tightly. "J-just Mari." Mari said again as she went to pull away from him. 

"Well Felis." She began. "I'd say it's your lucky day, but I'm probably the laziest alchemist you'll ever meet- so I'm fresh out of stock. But if you are in dire need I can try to help." Normally, Mari wouldn't help. She'd point him in the direction of the town and be on her way. But she was a guild leader now. She had duties and responsibilities. 

"C'mon." Mari gestured for him to follow. "I can't lead you to the town, but where I am going is on the way...but..." She glanced over her shoulder at him. "You're not the least bit worried a bout my cursor colour, are you?"

@Felis

Felis watched down at her as she shook his head the little nerves in her voice being clearly noticed by him. "Nice to meet you, Mari." Felis said an almost malicious voice before grabbing his cane as tucking it under his arm and started to follow her along the unclear path that lead to wherever. 

"You're not the least bit worried a bout my cursor colour, are you?" Felis focused on the cursor for a second before letting a slight laugh "Hah! No, not at all." He smiled brightly walking ahead slightly holding his cane behind him as he walked forward humming to himself slightly, he knew that she was a PKer from the moment they first interacted though it didn't phase him, if she was gonna do something he knew she would have already done it, he would have if he was the one with the higher level.

"So if were aren't going to the town where are we going to exactly, not that I mind, resources are resources after all." He shrugged looking back at her the smile still on his face clearly.

Spoiler

@Mari

Edited by Felis

Felis's laugh was short and abrupt, and made Mari jump. Okay, so he wasn't worried - but to laugh like that? Sheesh, what was with this guy? "I guess...that's good?" Mari said, her tone questioning him. She'd met some quirky people in the past but this guy seemed to take the cake. Tophat, coat-tails, and cane. He walked with the enigmatic jovial attitude of one who either unknown.pnghad ulterior motives, or was just stark raving mad. Mari assumed he was just insane.

"W-We?" Crap....did he think she was inviting him somewhere?? "No! I mean...." She sighed, tugging on her hair. Too tired, and too nervous to care about inviting him over. "I..." Another sigh, defeated as her shoulders sagged. "Yeh...I mean - my house is close by if you need a waypoint before heading off again. I can't offer you potions, but I may have some spare materials and col if you need it."

They headed toward the path, but rather than follow it, Mari began to push past the thicket of trees, weaving in and out of them- and if Felis wasn't following closely he may just have lost her, but out on the other side; was her home.

"You know, I'm surprised they let PKers have homes." Mari said as she gestured to the small cottage. "Still, home sweet home."

@Felis

Felis stared out at the home before walking out over to the small home. "Nice place you got there" He stared at the building for a little waiting for Mari to head in before him, "So how much did this cost you? Couple thousand Col I imagine right?" Felis turned to look down at Mari, his stare still malicious in nature, walking back over to her and pushing her along the path towards her own house.

"Well they've still gotta live somewhere, where else are you gonna hide the bodies" Felis let out another laugh, this one lasting a little longer than the last one but still cutting off unnaturally as usual though his fanged smiled was ever so present on his face. "I could always take more materials and Col, surviving isn't cheap especially with always these PKers around" Felis glared harshly before his unnaturally happy face came back when they reached the door tapping it with his cane "May I enter then?"

@Mari

Spoiler

"Yeh..it is..." Mari said in a whispered awe as she took the sight of it in. She still struggled to comprehend how she had such a place. Her eyes shifted to the gravestones to the side, just on the other side of the lake, each one with an ever burning lantern, flickering with flames that would never die out. The symbol of the lives she had taken. She wanted to remember them, wanted them remembered.Each and every one of them.

Well they've still gotta live somewhere, where else are you gonna hide the bodies"

them "T-Thats not what they are!" Mari snapped back. Felis simply stared at her, the large grin ever present on his features. "I..they're..." Mari lowered her head, she felt her heart sink, even with this stranger...she couldn't escape the sins of her past.   "You know bodies disappear in this world... I just didn't want their memories to - h-hey..."

He had approached her again, and with a forceful hand on her back he pushed her forward. He unceremoniously pushed her onto the porch and impatiently tapped the door with his cane. "Yes...yes...of course..." Mari said quietly. It was clear she was doing her best to stay positive,  but with everything she had been through Mari struggled. She struggled to maintain a facade - to keep her grip on her emotions. She just had to...keep going....

She opened the door; leading them into the living room. Directly opposite the door is a small table; enough to fit two if they were to squish together. To the right; a roaring fireplace, there is a place to put a pot to cook food, but the hook is currently empty. The floor before the fireplace looked like it had been draped in a few different indescribable animal skins. In front of the fireplace are two chairs facing opposite each other; made from a rich red velvet, adorned in pillows.  There is also a small mirror on the left hand wall, round without trimming.

To the immediate left, right by the window is a small corner that looked like it didn't quite belong in the room - cobble floor fell away to a light tatami mat - and atop that sat a Kotasu table. It's surface made of a wood that had been stained a golden brown. The surrounding material, thick and plush made of blue. Atop the table sat a small ornate teapot - painted with the images of the 'Great Wave of Kanagawa' and beside around it four matching cups.

"Make yourself at home."

@Felis

Felis looked around letting out a small whistle stepping inside, having to duct as he entered to avoid hitting his head on the door frame. Coming up to the table he took his hat off placing it on top of it dusting the snow off as he did so. 

"Such a big house for such a small thing" He chuckled to himself before looking around at the interior of the cottage noticing the furniture came in pairs, "So is all this space for yourself or do you share it with another" He smiled down at her through his reflection as he looked into the mirror readjusting his masking a moving his hair trying to remove the flakes of snow that had inevitably made there home in his locks. His cane still leaning next to him was now more clear insight with the roaring fire, the cat ornament glimmering on top of it before the dazzling light was snuffed by his hand covering it. 

"It's certainly warm in here! Those sins of yours giving you the chills?" He let out another laugh before sitting himself down in one of the red velvet chairs placing his cane over his lap. "You are certainly friendly for letting a stranger into your home though." 

@Mari

Spoiler

"It's actually quite small." Mari corrected as she followed behind Felis, gently closing the door. "I've seen mansions, estates with multiple yards- and annexs - I don't get it personally." Mari turned to look at Felis, he had taken the sheet off her mirror and was readjusting the mask. That mask it  was so hard to read his facial expressions with it. His grin seemed to be so predatory, almost cruel but Mari wasn't sure if it was just the aesthetic he was going for or not. He definitely seemed eccentric enough for such a thing. 

Mari turned her gaze away from Felis as he asked if she shared it with another. "No..." Came her quiet response. "N-no they didn't...really sell things in single lots." Mari shifted to the mirror, picking up the sheet Felis had dropped on the floor and placing it back over her reflection. Mari hated seeing her appearance. "I'm alone." The words carried more weight than they should have. Despite everything, Mari felt alone. Perhaps now, more so than ever.

It's certainly warm in here! Those sins of yours giving you the chills?"

"That's not funny!"  Mari snapped back. "I just...wanted someplace warm is all." She rubbed her arm. She had to try, right? Maybe that was just his sense of humour. "Sorry, its a touchy subject for me, I get you're tryin' to be funny but I don't like that humour." 

You are certainly friendly for letting a stranger into your home though." 

"It's the least I can do." Mari said as she forced a smile on her face.

Because of those things, she had to try and make amends.

@Felis

"Well, when you lived in a small hole in the wall bar your hole life anything else usually feels big" Felis had a serious expression for once before it snapped back to his usual malicious grin and standing back up to look around the place, his coat dropping wads of snow down on the floor causing puddles to form as they melded from the fire blazing nearby.  

"My jokes sure do cause a deathly aura wouldn't you say? I don't want to make the atmosphere dead quiet though so maybe I shouldn't keep going I'd hate to kill our conversation" Felis let out a loud laugh after each of his jokes, his smile becoming even wider if such a thing was possible. He walked back around to Mari placing his fingers on her face and forcing her to smile with them "Come on now give me a pity laugh at least" He said he tone turning malicious as if he knew these jokes were going to hurt her and he revelled in it.

@Mari

Spoiler

"Oh?" Mari asked, it wasn't often people would open up about their past. "You lived in a bar, huh." She didn't question it, for it would have been rude to do so - she didn't comment on  how strange it was. Mari approached the fire, standing by the hearth- blue eyes watching the flames lick at the burning logs. "Can't say I can relate. I had an apartment, about the size of this - its why I prefer it over the estates. Sure, they offer more buffs. But - don't you think it silly to live in such...false lavish luxury?" Mari asked

Then came the jokes, one after another - punctuated with a cruel sharpness. Normally, Mari would appreciate puns. She'd rattle off many of her own, but with each joke it felt like he was striking her chest with hot iron. Mari reached up to clasp her chest. Her jaw tightening. He doesn't mean it. He doesn't mean it, he's just trying to be funny.

Mari kept her gaze on the fire; not wanting to look at him. Even as she heard him get up and felt him approach. "S-So do you want a cup of tea or -"  

Felis' height dwarved Mari's, he practically loomed over her as he stood in close. Scents of cheap cigarette smoke and alcohol wafted from his clothes and caused Mari's gut to wrench, that same scent belonged to her ex. And she hated it. She felt his cold fingers, slightly wet from the snow press into the corners of his lips and force them itno a smile. 

"T-The hell do you think you're doing?" Mari said as she pushed him away. "I'm trying to be nice. I've offered you a warm reprive from outside, a warm drink to fill you - even col and materials, so what the hell is your damn problem?" her voice shook. She had to reign it in. Deep breath. Mari inhaled deeply and held it there. She can't get mad, she promised herself she would push all her feelings down. And exhale.

@Felis

Felis let out another laugh as Mari pushed him his smile nearly covering the entirety of his exposed features breathing heavily as his laugh stopped "I haven't got a single problem, though I think you have" Felis didn't elaborate on what he meant by that turning away towards the fire. "A warm drink would be awfully nice though, do they have coffee in this hell hole?" Felis went along walking through the house as though Mari's outburst never happened humming to himself once again as he looked at the one part of the room he hadn't focused on.

"Are you Japanese in real life?" He said as he looked at the kettle in the strange corner of the room touching stuff that he clearly wasn't supposed to still humming away not even looking at Mari as he did so. Holding the kettle in his hand he stared down at the paintings not really caring about them just intrigued by the handy work that this game put in.

@Mari

Spoiler

-, though I think you have

Mari knew that. That's why she was working so hard on everything, everyone. "You're not particularly kind though, are you?" Mari muttered as she opened her inventory, scrolling through the drink options. "It'd do you well to show some level of decorum around new people, especially those who could kick your ass just by blowing hot air your way." Mari chided. Even with someone like Felis - she couldn't help but hold that disapproving motherly tone, the kind of one you'd hear when you were caught drinking or smoking underage. Not angry- just tired and disappointed.

Are you Japanese in real life?

Mari shook her head. "No. Australian. But I've lived there for the past two years." Mari left out the part where she had found herself trapped in Aincrad in the airport, on the way to her 'home' she had a feeling he either didn't care, or would try to use it against her in some way. 

Felis struck Mari as the type who liked to control the room, who liked to see others in distress. 

"An internet troll..." Mari mused. That's what Felis reminded her of.

"Ah. Here." Mari pulled out a black pot and headed to the table on the far side of the room. "I have this dark roast coffee, black. I can add milk or sugar for you, if you'd like."

Just keep it civil.

@Felis

Felis turned around staring down at Mari as she scrolled through her inventory "I have no particular need to be" He said placing the fancy pot down on the side before walking around once more tapping his cane on the ground in rhythm with his walk.

It'd do you well to show some level of decorum around new people, especially those who could kick your ass just by blowing hot air your way."

Felis scowled at her tone with him before cracking back with his smile, "Hah! Don't try the motherly act with me, I hate to tell you this but it won't work" Felis had said this for two reasons to show that he didn't care for her motherly side and that he wanted her to know that he could read her very easily. Felis decided to ignore the comment about him being a troll deciding instead to accidentally smack her in the leg with his cane before sitting back down next to the fire. "Black is fine for me, its shame you can't get any booze in this hell hole" He sighed before crossing his legs over keep cane at arm's length.

@Mari

Spoiler

"No, I suppose you don't." Mari said in response to his cavalier answer to him not being a nice person. "You know most people like.,.." Mari gestured at him with her free hand. "Like you are a little more subtle about it. Being straight up rude - and well...childish - that aint' gonna get you anything but an early grave, kid." Why was she even bothering.

Hell, was she...giving him advice on how to behave? Stupid. Mari turned - catching his scowl. He barked at her, told her she was acting 'motherly'. Such a comment would normally have thrown her off, if it weren't for people like Aiko and Chaser. "Mmm... see that..." Mari said as she held his coffee cup out to him. "You're nothing more than a -" She paused as Felis on purposefully  'accidentally' whacked her leg.

So Mari, with her being very tired and having little tolerance for people like this, 'accidentally' tipped the coffee onto his lap. "Oh, clumsy me - guess that's what happens when I'm accidentally whacked with somethin' " She added with a shrug of her shoulders. 

"Now, you can be civil for a few minutes; or - " Mari pointed to the door. "You can leave." 

@Felis

Felis gritted his teeth keeping his smile clear on his face as he tried his best to avoid the scolding liquid on his lap, before standing up slowly and wiping the coffee off his legs.

Looking down at Mari, Felis had an almost murderous intent before inhaling sharply and letting out a laugh "Hah! I can see I am no longer welcome! Very well I shall be on my way. Thank you for the coffee and I hope you have a very long life"  Felis was almost sadist when talking about Mari's life as if he would try to make it a lot more painful if he saw her again. Felis grabbed his hat from the table placing it onto his head before walking out the door and slamming it loudly behind him, considering to do more, such as knocking over those stupid lamps over the gravestones but left before he did anymore.

@Mari

Spoiler

Edited by Felis