[SP-F9] Please Don’t Eat My Hand (Feeding the Enemy)

The sky was blue, the sun was shining, and the birds were chirping. What could have possibly gonna so wrong, well, that is an interesting story. It all started during a stroll to Horunka, a village on the first floor.

Kade was once again all prepared, wearing his typical brown and blue leather armor topped with an armet composed of the same materials and style. On his back, his Estoc in it’s scabbard, swaying from right to left as he walked. The orange autumn forest around him were beautiful, and were dropping leaves that left a satisfying crunch when stepped on. The afternoon sun had risen high in the sky, beaming down on the world, refracting it’s light through the orange and yellow leaves. Suddenly he stopped, but the crunching of leaves didn’t, now on full alert, he turned around swiftly whilst pulling out his sword.

In the path he had recently taken, stood an old woman. Kade was confused, but still on full alert, staring at her like a deer who heard a predator sneaking in the brush.

”Hello?” Kade asked skeptically, scanning the nearby trees for any movement. 

“Hello dear, I am Uthari, the tamer of beasts!” She said, trying to command respect.

”Right...” Kade said, slowly loosing his grip on his blade’s handle.

”Why, I can go on and on about countless tales where I and I alone have tames dragons, minotaurs, and even demons.” She continued, she was an NPC, that he had noticed so he relaxed his posture. Was this a random encounter or something? Bit weird in an MMO, but hey, what do I know about game design. 

“I couldn’t help but notice...” The lady continued. “That you have no familiar of your own.” 

“Yeah I kinda just fly solo.” Kade remarked.

”Here, take this. You can use it to tame a familiar of your own. When you are done using it I would like what food you have left back.” The lady said.

”I don’t even want this.” Kade pleaded. Unfortunately, talking to an NPC is like talking to a brick wall, she ignored him and walked away as a new quest popped up in front of him.

‘Feeding your Enemy’

’Succesfully find and tame a familiar’

Kade sighed and opened his menu, selecting the new item(s) in his inventory, the Familiar Food. Kade pondered a bit, it wouldn’t be all that bad to have a buddy watching his back for him.

The more he thought about it, the more he found he wanted a familiar.

“Alright this can work, now I just need to find a familiar that suits my needs.” Kade said, setting a new waypoint in his map back to the Town of New Beginnings.

Edited by Ferox

“This was a terrible idea.”

Kade said staring skyward at the peak of the notorious Mount Kazan, watching the glowing hot rock bursting from the volcano as he contemplated on his life choices so far. As much as he wanted to stop and go back, he desperately wanted a companion to help him out. As far as he knows, this companion could very well be the difference between life and death in the future. Besides, it’s not like he is climbing to the peak, at his level, that would be suicide at his level.

He left the scorched town of Yogan village to the east, crossing over various lava flows on bridges of questionable integrity until he reached a large flat plain, the plain, much like the rest of the area on this floor, was scorched black. The chances of finding materials here are slim at best, but luckily he isn’t searching for materials, he is searching for a Phoenix. Allegedly, these creatures aren’t aggressive to players unless provoked, but if you manage to tame one, you can get a nice bit of in combat healing. Kade looked around for anything that had any resemblance to a phoenix, which is just a flaming bird. Unfortunately, he couldn’t seem to find anything that was on fire in his immediate surroundings, although there were signs of such recently.

Spoiler

ID# 177906 results:

Loot: 12

Edited by Ferox

Kade continued to take a leisurely stroll through the scorched delta, he could feel the heat through his armor, and it was starting to exhaust him. He soon came upon a forest, not a typical forest, no this forest was dead, it’s trees made almost entirely of charcoal encased in obsidian, this looks like a lovely place to search for materials. He decided he would be as productive as possible, and to look for materials until he could happen upon a wandering phoenix. He looked around the trees for anything of value, and as surprising as it sounds, he could not find anything. Whatever was here was encased in obsidian or found by a more experienced player, but that got him thinking, if everything here was encased in obsidian maybe he just needed to break it to reveal whatever was underneath? He pulled his sword out of it’s scabbard, and began striking at any suspicious looking clump of obsidian that looked big enough to conceal items.

Spoiler

ID# 177909 results:

Loot: 3

Edited by Ferox

He kept up the pace, smashing the glassy black stone hoping to find something I damaged beneath, looking over his shoulder every so often out of paranoia. He didn’t feel alone, and the nature of this floor wasn’t helping in the slightest.

Alas, he didn’t see anything that could be perceived as a threat. The ground shook for a moment, Kade stopped and looked at the volcano, which was fuming more then before. That’s when it began to snow, well, it looked like snow, it wasn’t cold. Kade held out his hand and small gray particles landed in his palm, it was ash.

Kade shrugged off this new information as a unique weather condition for this floor, and nothing more. He resumed smashing the glassy obsidian and as before, he found nothing.

Spoiler

ID# 177912 results:

Loot: 1

Edited by Ferox

The ash started falling harder, it was like a twisted blizzard, and it was getting hotter too. Kade needed to seek shelter or he might be in danger. Kade opened his map, deciding the best place to seek shelter would be in a nearby cave. Kade followed his indicator through the blinding ashen storm, until he came upon a crag, a large hole in the side. He ran into it for shelter, he only stayed in the entrance area, he didn’t wish to go further without a light source, that and he could swear he could faintly hear clattering over the sounds of the winds outside. He sat on a rock in the cave for a little while until he heard something, it sounded like someone moving in armor, actually, it sounded like a lot of someones moving in armor. He looked up from he seated position to see a group of players walking into the cave, one waved at Kade, and being polite he waved back. The players moved on down into the cave, the sounds that followed were definitely sounds of combat. Kade got up and left after that, the storm had died down enough, and it didn’t feel hot, he also noticed something on his way out, a small crystal jutting from the crag, it’s placing was too convenient not to have been a material. It was too high up to reach, he would need to climb.

Spoiler

ID# 177913 results:

Loot: 14

Edited by Ferox

He began trying to scale the rock face, the crystal was at least a good twenty meters ahead of him. He placed his right hand onto an exposed part of the rock, his left a little higher in a small natural crack through the surface, he hoisted himself up a bit. From there he managed to reach a yet another set of grips, and jumped from there to a protrusion in the rock, it was a massive slab that went on for a good meter or two, Kade climbed to the side, his legs dangling beneath him, he looked down, by god he should not have looked down. He looked back at his goal, that’s all he had to focus on right now. He jumped and climbed from rock to rock until he was within half a meter from the crystal, and that was when his hand slipped. He started to fall, and reached out desperately for something to stop or slow his descent and his hands managed to grab the slab he was climbing on earlier, he fell a good ten meters before he managed to stop himself. He was panting, mostly out of fear, before looking back up at the crystal, it’s glimmering reflection of the volcano’s orange light taunting him.

Spoiler

ID# 177914 results:

Loot: 13 | Fail