[PP-F01] <<Earning a Living: Performer>>

Although it may not have been long that Marius had been within this virtual world, the elderly gentleman had come to quite a realization... He was going to need to try and find a means of survival for himself and his grandson! The duo, like so many others, had found themselves in a situation in which they were going to need to try and get by until the floors had been completed but how on earth were they going to do that? Adventuring and clearing the floors sounded like it would certainly be of use to everyone but this old man just wasn't confident enough to try and do such a thing at this time. He needed to get stronger for sure but on top of that, he was going to need to help ensure that as many people could survive as possible. How was he going to do this, you ask? Well he was going to do his best to obtain a profession that would benefit many!

It is for this reason that Marius now finds himself outside of a hole-in-the-wall music shop that is rumored to be the location of a profession-giving quest. With a tired sigh, the old man would begin to push open the door to this hole-in-the-wall music shop. "Well... Here we go!" Of course, the frantic roll of a rock song greets him upon entering the shop. It was a rather catchy tune that he had immediately found to be rather invigorating. Such masterful lute playing tendencies!  Just as he had begun to ask himself how anyone could accomplish such a feat on a lute, the musician would step into view. The enormous man finishes the chorus, rakes a hand through his pointed white hair, then grins at the old man. "I take requests!" 

The thought of requesting something from this man had certainly come to Marius but now wasn't the time for that. No, he was here to become a performer!  It was when Marius had been explaining this that Landon, the musician, gives a deep, hearty laugh. "Not the kind of request I was expecting, but yeah, I'll help. Problem is, I've got a few more orders to fill, and I'm getting low on recording crystals. If you go pick up the mats I need, I'll finish up my work, and we can meet in the middle. Deal?"

Spoiler

Marius | Lv. 1 | HP: 20/20 | EN: 20/20 | DMG: 1 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 3

Equipped Items:

• Warhammer | Tier 1 Vanity Two-Handed Warhammer
  • Breastplate of Wrathful Protection | Tier 1 Rare Heavy Armor | MITIGATION I | THORNS I
  • Small Konpeito Sack | Tier 1 Perfect Trinket | Loot III

Battle-Ready Inventory:

• Healing Potion (3) | Tier 1 Starter Potion | HP RECOVERY I [+50 HP]

Consumed Items:

• N/A

Skills:

• Heavy Armor | RANK 1/5
    • Mod: 8 MIT

Misc. Buffs:

• N/A

Battle Effects:

• MIT: 14
  • Thorns: 9 Unmitigated Damage
Spoiler

Quest Link: Here

Word Count: 396

Pushing past the tiredness that had previously been lying within, Marius would eagerly begin to nod his head in agreement. This was the beginning of something new for him and that had been enough to prepare him the the arduous journey that lie ahead. "Right, of course!" He would quickly press the accept button for the quest acceptance display that had appeared before him while continuing on. "Retrieve some materials for 'ya. I can most certainly do that." It was with that that Marius would turn about and begin to head on out of the shop. He was going to need to try and obtain some materials but... from where? Recording crystals weren't exactly the kind of thing that one would be able to make with typical Tier 1 Materials, right?

There wasn't really any other thing that Marius could do here but try things out and figure it out that way. It was likely that the materials were indeed the same but... Well he was going to have to find out on his own. That said, Marius had to decide on how exactly he was planning on finding the appropriate materials. "Well, let's see, there are a few things that I have to bear in mind when it comes to gathering materials. I should theoretically be able to gather materials in general simply from slaying monsters and collecting their loot, fishing up some of the materials, or perhaps even gathering them out in the field from things like plants and what have you. In addition to that, if I am remembering correctly, I'm not goin' to be able to find anything like that while in a safe zone or a settlement or anything like that. So... I suppose that I am just going to have to try and find some materials outside of here?"

It wouldn't take terribly long for Marius to flicker through the menus and come upon the map of the areas that he has traversed. From what he could tell, there were a few good locations that might offer some insight as to where he could dig up some materials. There was 'The Stone Valley' and the 'Plains' for sure. The Stone Valley had been calling to him for some reason but it was likely safer to just stick the the Plains for now. It was the closest to the <<Town of Beginnings>> after all. "Right, well, I suppose that I am off for now.. The Plains it is!" He would than depart from the walls of the <<Town of Beginnings>> and out into the Plains that had resided just outside.

Spoiler

Word Count: 435

Seeing as there was no need for Marius to acquire a mount of some sort, he had simply decided to walk around the Plains themselves. This was the prime location for beginner characters to farm low level monsters and admittedly it was one of the things that Marius himself had wanted to do at this very moment. Unfortunately he was going to need to focus rather solely on this quest for now. It was too dangerous for him to try and farm various monsters on his own, even with his MITIGATION being factored in, so he was going to need to instead try and obtain the materials in another way. "Let's see... If we take looting monsters for their materials out of the equation than the two other ways of obtaining materials will have to be gathering and fishing. I believe that both of those were also to be considered professions in their own right as well so I really am going to need to choose between the two of them. Hm.." There had most assuredly been benefits to both but Marius was an old man and honestly fishing had seemed far more appealing to him than gathering had. Of course slaying the beasties had been even higher on the list when it came to it but it just wasn't a viable option right now. "Well, fishing it is!"

Spoiler

Word Count: 225

Edited by Marius

Now that Marius had decided on fishing for not only his secondary profession in the future but his current gathering method, he would begin to traverse a bit farther into the territory of the Plains in search of a pond of sorts. He had heard of various ponds being spread out throughout the plains from several other players in the past and as such, it felt as though it wouldn't be too hard to come across one. Thankfully, he had been correct in this assumption! Not even fifteen minutes in and the old man had successfully managed to come upon a rather stunning pond that had spread throughout a rather large area overall. Elevated platforms of land had been spread above the pond and continued to pour water into the pond itself, thus allowing for small rainbows to form. It was truly one of the most beautiful things that he had seen on this floor. "W-wow... I'm really going to have to come out here more often."

A soft smile would begin to take place upon this old mans features as he had taken the time to remove a fishing pole from his inventory. It had simply been a vanity tiered item and wasn't really all that effective in general but there was time to acquire a better pole in the future. Hopefully, that is. Regardless of whether or not they would have the time for it in the future though, Marius would finally take a seat and cast the hook and its bait out into the waters.

Several moments would go by as Marius would wait for anything below to take a bite of the hook.. and just as quickly as that, a fish would grab ahold of the hook itself! It was amazing to Marius just how quickly he had managed to grab ahold of something! Would he be able to keep ahold of it though? And had the time itself been sped up by the loot percentage increasing item in his inventory? While he may not know the answer to the latter, he had most assuredly learned the answer to the former. This was found out simply by Marius yeeting the fish out of the waters and into his inventory! "Heh~ One material down and four more to go."

Spoiler

ID: 198669
Word Count: 382

Edited by Marius

Feeling a tad overconfident in his fishing abilities now, Marius would rather quickly cast the hook back out into the pond. "This should be easy.. Much like back before the game, huh? Hahaha." Several moments would go by and nothing would happen as far as Marius had been aware. The lure would simply bob back and forth atop of the water as he had been waiting. It was... almost an entirely abysmal experience to watch compared to his last attempt. "This... doesn't seem right. Was I simply to eager beforehand? Must have been a lucky attempt..." Whether it had been a lucky attempt or not had been something that Marius would never truly come to know but when it came to this attempt, he had surely known that his luck might have just passed. It was a truly unfortunate moment in his fishing history. After about ten minutes or so, Marius would begin to reel the lure back in while shaking his head a bit. He may not have been successful at this moment but he was definitely be so at some point... Right?

Spoiler

ID: 198670
Word Count: 184

Edited by Marius

Hoping to try and acquire another material at this point, the old man would cast his lure back into the water. Last time might have simply been a fluke or perhaps just a bit of bad luck. Surely he would be able to come out on top this time! "C'mon Marius, you just need to try and do what you did back in the real world. Y'know, become one with the fish. I am one with the fish, the fish are with me. I must feel the heart of the rod. Become one with it and convince these fish to come a bitin'!" None of this would actually help Marius of course. If anything, all it had done was serve as a distraction from the sheer embarrassment of how poorly he had been doing at fishing at the moment. Alas, much like the last time, there had been no sense of activity for the next several moments. Ten minutes would go by and nothing would really come of it. Ten minutes after that and there had still been nothing happening. A hefty sigh would escape from his lips as he would reel in the lure and prepare for his next attempt.

Spoiler

ID: 198671
Word Count: 201

Edited by Marius

Yet another attempt would be taken as Marius would cast the lure back out into the pond. He was really beginning to feel as though this method of gathering wasn't really up to par with getting rid of monsters. In fact, it was beginning to feel like it was more work than anything else. Of course that was always how fishing had felt. Sure it had been a distraction from the world itself, or virtual world in this instance, but it definitely took a lot of time overall to accomplish. "I... really am not too sure how well this whole fishing thing is cut out for me. It's a tad disappointing that I'm not doing much better at this but I suppose that it is what it is. I am simply going to need to invest in better gear in the future. Perhaps a better rod? Or bait and a more alluring lure? Well... I'm not even really sure if anyone sells anything like that." Shaking his head a bit from side to side, the old man would try and return his focus to the task at hand. Of course, as was becoming the usual, nothing would really come of it. Not even with his fancy loot increasing item at hand.

Spoiler

ID: 198672
Word Count: 211

Edited by Marius

A few thoughts of switching over gathering methods had swam through Marius's mind for a bit but it wasn't really like it would have changed anything. From what he could tell, the chances of gathering said materials were likely going to be the same no matter the method. In fact, the only thing that would have been any different would have been the danger rating of said gathering attempt. Of course it was likely possibly for him to dig up some kind of monster at some point if he wasn't careful but... It likely wasn't that big of an issue at this moment. "Welp.. Here I go again," he would say as he were to hurl the lure back into the pond. Hopefully something fruitful would come of this attempt. It shouldn't be all that hard, right? WRONG! Even with any benefits in general, the act of gathering was a rather difficult one! Another ten minutes had gone by and he was still sitting out here, not catching much of anything at all.

Spoiler

ID: 198673
Word Count: 173

Edited by Marius

A soft sigh would escape from the elderly gentlemans lips as he would attempt yet again another bout of fishing. It had been well over an hour now and he had still been doing just terrible at catching anything. In that way, it was much like real fishing! Not that that had been a good thing of course. If he was having this much trouble with fishing now, could he really ever make a career out of it? And would he ever really be able to become a performer if he couldn't even acquire the appropriate materials for himself? He likely would be able to but at this rate, it was going to take him quite awhile. "Whether I am cut out for this or not is something that I am going to have to find out over time but... man, I really should have come here with someone. Doing this all on my own is quite... boring." Of course, much like the other attempts, this attempt would cease to bare any fruits. 

Spoiler

ID: 198674
Word Count: 173

Edited by Marius

Perhaps he was simply going about it all wrong? This was supposed to be a gathering quest, sure, but it was also supposed to be a quest in which he would become a performer. Someone that is capable of buffing and debuffing enemies and allies alike. This was said to be done through support crystals but what were those crystals really? Songs. Maybe he should try incorporating said songs into his gathering attempts? It sounded rather silly but it was something that he was keen on attempting. "Right, well, how did that one song go?" After casting his line back out to the waters of the pond, Marius would begin to whistle a jaunty tune. He was attempting to replicate the rock song that had been playing back at Landon's shop but it wasn't quite the same tune. That being said though, it had seemed to be working! From just beneath the surface of the water, Marius would watch as a rather large fish had begun to swim closer to the lure. Whether this was actually from his whistling or simply from having been waiting for so long, he wasn't quite sure, but at the end of the day it seemed to be working! A few moments later and the fish would attach itself to the hook, thus allowing for Marius to reel it in and collect his second out of the five materials. "Nice..! Now let's just hope that this keeps up."

Spoiler

ID: 198675
Materials Gathered: 2/5
Word Count: 243

Edited by Marius

Hoping that this recent successful catch would turn into a steak of luck, Marius would continue to do what he had been doing up to this point. He would allow for his lure to be cast back into the pristine waters of the pond and would wait for something to come of it. Several minutes would go by in an instant and while Marius had still been hopeful, he could tell that it was more likely that he wasn't going to succeed here. It might have been this wavering faith in himself that had begun to scare off the fish but that probably wasn't the case. Unfortunately, this attempt was going to be yet another swing and a miss. Fishing just didn't come as easily to him in this game as it had in real life. It was just a tad... difficult. Not that that was going to completely discourage him or anything. With enough work put in, he could become a masterful fisherman! If anything, all of these attempts were only pushing him further towards desiring such a future for himself.

Spoiler

ID: 198676
Materials Gathered: 2/5
Word Count: 182

Edited by Marius

"I refuse to let these failed attempts get me down. Someday I shall become a master fisherman! Or angler? A grandmaster angler!" Having talked some motivation into himself, Marius would prepare himself for some hardcore fishing. He wasn't about to lose to all of that self-doubt! In an attempt to make things easier for himself, Marius would rise from his position on the ground and than hurl out the fishing line once more. "C'mon 'ya little fishies. Come to papa~" It was only a few moments later in which another fish would come darting on over towards his lure. "That's right... Let's go!" The fish had seemed a tad suspicious about this lure for a brief moment but decided to take the bit of it anyways. Just as its mouth had been hooked, it had begun to flail about and try to escape but Marius wasn't about to let that happen. Rather than allow for that to happen, this old man would plant his feet firmly on the ground and begin to reel the darn thing in with all of his strength and vigor! This would lead to another successful catch and a rather smiley Marius. "All right! Just two more left and I can return to Landon!"

Spoiler

ID: 198677
Gathered Materials: 3/5
Word Count: 208

Edited by Marius

Continuing along with his whistling while standing, Marius would continue along with this rather repetitive activity. It was slowly becoming something that he was getting used to doing once again and that at least had some level of comfort for the old man. "I wonder how effective I'll be at gathering materials and the likes in the future, once I manage to reach the final professional level of fisher? Of course I still need to acquire the profession beforehand but... Eh. I really should have started off with that profession to be honest but it is what it is, I suppose." The lure would continue to bob idly along in the water for several minutes and unfortunately nothing would really come of it. That was alright though. By this point, Marius was becoming rather used to this. He was just going to need to try and find ways to make it easier for himself in the future is all. 

Spoiler

ID: 198678
Word Count: 159

Edited by Marius

Hoping to try and get through this eventually, Marius would continue along with this line of work. The line of his fishing pole had been cast out towards the pond and the lure had simply bobbed just beneath the surface of the water. It wasn't much but it was honest work. "It's only a matter of tiiiiime, before the fishes come iiiiin~" On this account, he had indeed been right about it only being a matter of time. In fact, they had come even quicker than he had anticipated! Yet another fish had begun to snake its way through the pond and towards the lure that had simply been waiting for its prey. Of course this lure had been the prey of the fish and vice versa! Would he be able to get the fourth material with this attempt? One could only hope....

Much like the previous time in which he had managed to catch one of these fish, this current fish had been a tad suspicious about the lure itself. It was almost as though it had seemed too easy for them? Not one to properly be in the mindset of a fish, Marius had maintained his steady gaze upon the fish and would wait for it to grab ahold of the lure. If that were to happen than he had planned on reeling the fish in with all of his might yet again... It was just than that the fish would grab ahold of the lure! He had managed to secure the prize that he had been waiting for! Reeling it in with everything he had, Marius had truly, genuinely believed that he was going to succeed here. Before he could fully reel it out of the water though, the fish would free itself from the hook attached to the lure and had sped off deeper into the pond. A truly unfortunate moment... "Damn. And I really thought that I had that one."

Spoiler

ID: 198679
Word Count: 325

Edited by Marius

This old man didn't plan on allowing these fish to clown him as often as they had been. If they had been clown fish than that might have been a different story but seeing as they weren't, he had completely and utterly refused! "I've almost completed everything that I came here for. C'mon, just let me reel 'ya in 'ya darn fish." Hoping not to lose another one, Marius would cast his line out towards the pond and wait. He could more or less remember where that last fish had escaped off to. While the fish may not have been too stupid to fall for such a tactic again, it was entirely likely that it had been stupid enough to do so. Honestly, with how advanced the AI in this game were, anything could happen when it came to this.

Several minutes would pass by as Marius would wait for a fish to come to the line. It didn't quite seem as though the fish had been as dumb as he had thought but that was a good thing. At least it would be in the future. Knowing the extend of the AI would always prove useful at some point. "Well... that one seems to be a bust. Oh well." Just as Marius was about to begin to reel in the lure though, another fish would swim from the depths of the pond and would immediately latch onto the hook! The old mans eyes had gone wide at this and he would continue to reel in the fishing line with as much vigor as he had before. Thankfully this one had managed to stay attached to the hook until it had been successfully caught. "Yes! Just one left!"

Spoiler

ID: 198680
Gathered Materials: 4/5
Word Count: 288

Edited by Marius

All that Marius had needed to come out on top of this quest was the final Tier 1 Material to be collected for Landon. If he could succeed in this attempt than he was going to finally be able to head on back to the rockstar and assist him a tad further. Then he would finally be rewarded with the Performer profession! He was so close to his goal that he could taste... or perhaps that was the salt water in the air above the pond. "C'mooooon Fishies!" It was a good thing that his grandson hadn't been around at the moment because he had been acting a tad embarrassing overall. At least he was enjoying himself though. With that final material finally being needed, Marius would hurl the lure farther than he ever had before, allowing for it to soar through the air until it would ultimately plunge into the depths of the pond. 

About ten minutes or so would pass as he had been idly waiting for something to grab ahold of the lure. "This is... not as exciting as I thought that the final throw was going to be. Honestly though, I should have expected that this wasn't going to be the final th-... What in the?!" Before Marius could finish his sentence, the Small Konpeito Sack that he had attached to his belt would begin to glow! This glow would extend out towards his fishing line and would follow along until both his body and the line had been completely shining pink, much like the little candies inside of the sack. "W-what exactly is going on? The item didn't say anything about this!" 

As sure as could be, with that light now shining all across both his body and the fishing line, a fish had been attracted to the lure that had been placed within the water. A heavy tug would pull on the hook and Marius' eyes would somehow shoot even wider. He hadn't been expecting this whatsoever so it had completely caught him off guard. "A.. a fish!" It had taken everything that he had in him to secure the line appropriately and to than reel the damn thing in all the way. Once he had managed to do so though, he had finally retrieved the final component that was needed for this quest. Taking a moment to fall back onto his behind, the old man would bellow out a bit of laughter. None of this had been what he had been expecting but at least that part of the quest was finally over. Than again... It wasn't all bad. 

Spoiler

ID: 198681
Gathered Materials: 5/5
Word Count: 436

Edited by Marius

Taking into account that he was now going to need to head on back Landon's little hole-in-the-wall shop back in the <<Town of Beginnings>>, Marius would rise from the ground and begin to head on back. As he had done so, he would brush alongside his backside so as to clear away any sort of debris that might have remained after falling. Thankfully there hadn't been anything other than a small amount of water. "I'm so close now! Soon the world shall come to understand the true nature of a support character. I'll be able to buff and debuff my enemies while remaining sturdy and capable of defending others thanks to my heavy armor skill. I sure hope that Erebus will be happy about it."

It didn't take too long for Marius to make his way back to the shop. Upon entering he had heard the same rock song from before. Admittedly, he couldn't help but wonder what kind of music he was have playing once he opened up his own shop. It would likely be something along the lines of what Landon had playing but maybe not exactly the same. No reason to cause any issues with the NPC that is going out of their way to help him after all. "Landon, my friend, I am finally back! I know that I was away for quite a bit of time but thankfully I have come bearing good tiding and gifts." 

Spoiler

Word Count: 241

Having heard the good news from Marius, Landon would seem come from behind the counter of his shop and would begin to approach the old man. "Ah, good. You're back. I managed to finish up my work so I suppose that it's time to meet in the middle." This was what Marius had been looking forward to since he had come to Landon's shop. What kind of crazy things was he going to show him as a trick of the trade? Sick guitar riffs? Perhaps a singing technique? Nope. It was nothing like that. With a strum of his lute, Landon would begin to motion towards the counter nearby. "You are going to need to go ahead and craft an item to prove your worth. Show me what you've got!" 

At first, Marius honestly wasn't quite sure what it was that he was going to need to do. He had been a tad... confused as to he was supposed to actually go about crafting anything? The fact that Landon didn't exactly tell him anything all that helpful was honestly making it even more confusing for him at first. That was when the system would pull up a small menu that displayed what it was that he was going to need to do. At least the game had been looking out for him... "Alrighty... Here I go."

Spoiler

Word Count: 226

Having taken the time to appropriately go over every punctual detail on crafting, Marius would eventually come to the moment in which he was going to need to actually craft things. Thankfully it wouldn't require a ton of materials to really get things started. The ones that he had previously collected should be enough to not only craft an item but have backup materials incase things were to go wrong. With that in mind, Marius would immediately set out to craft some kind of consumable support item. He would start by placing each and every material that he had gathered for this quest on the table. From there, he would immediately begin to separate one from the pile and would than pull out a small work hammer. "Alright... So at this point, if I got this right, I should only be able to make support items. Given that I am just starting off, I should probably go for something along the lines of an HP Recovery item, right? I mean, not dying is definitely something that would help anyone. Myself included!" 

Figuring that an HP Recovery item would be for the best, Marius would think of the kind of item that he had wanted to craft and would double tap a microphone that had been sitting on the counter. This would allow for a pop-up menu to appear directly in front of Marius. From there he would select the 'Production' option. Upon doing this, the material that he had set down would begin to glow alongside the microphone itself. "Do you mind if I borrow your lute for a moment?" Without a second thought, Landon would allow for Marius to borrow his lute. This would allow for Marius to record an invigorating tune with sweet lute riffs! Naturally, Marius would hand the item back to Landon once he had been finished. Or at least he would have if it wasn't for the fact that his slick tunes were too much for the material to handle... Unfortunately, upon this first attempt, the material that had been slowly transforming into a recording crystal had combusted into pixels! 

"Ahahaha..." A bit of an awkward laugh would follow this failed attempt but it wasn't enough to deter the elderly gentleman. He was just going to need to give it another go. And just as he had done as much, the material itself would fully transform into a recording crystal with the faint appearance of a cassette player. It had reminded him a bit of a walk-man and didn't quite look like a typical recording crystal. This very fact had been hilarious to the older gentleman. 

Spoiler

ID: 198682 for a Critical Failure
ID: 198683 for a Rare Item (2 Slots)
Item Created: 'Invigorating Tune'
Word Count: 441

Edited by Marius

Having completed the crafting process, Marius couldn't be happier with himself. Not only had he managed to succeed in completing the quest but he had gone on to make an item of rare quality! Sure it had been a tad embarrassing when it came to the first attempt but his follow up attempt was as good as he was going to need it to be. That was all that had mattered. "Heh. Sure am glad that I managed to pull through with this. The process may have felt as though it was taking forever but I sure kicked this quests butt!"

Just as Marius was about to turn about to show Landon his work, the musician had begun to speak up. "Performing's not for the faint of heart, kid. Takes guts, hard work, and talent. But from where I'm standing, you've got it all. Knock 'em dead." It was with these words that a window would pop up before him. It had simply stated at the top, Congratulations! It was clear now that the quest had been fully completed. Not only had the congratulations been an indicator but the quest rewards appearing had been as well. 

Quest Rewards: 

300 Experience Points
<<Performer>> Profession
Successfully Crafted Item
Standard <<Performer>> Shop
(5) Tier 1 Crafting Materials

"I suppose that that is really all that I was going to need to do for this, huh? I'm glad that I managed to come out on top here but man.." Turning his attention back towards Landon and away from the quest rewards, Marius would allow for his smile to grow larger. "It sure was quite a bit of hard work to get to this point. Don't you worry though, Landon, I'll be sure to become a master Performer. Just you wait." And with that, Marius would accept the quest rewards before heading on out of the shop and on to his next task.

Spoiler

Word Count: 300

Spoiler

Thread Summary

Marius:
+ 1,200 EXP [Total] | 300 EXP [Quest] + 900 [Thread Progression]
+ 400col [Total] | 400col [Thread Progression]
+ Invigorating Tune | Tier 1 Consumable | HP Recovery II
+ <<Performer>> Profession
+ Standard <<Performer>> Shop
+ (5) Tier 1 Crafting Materials