[SP-F6] <<Calming the Soul>> Don't Get Too Close, It's Dark Inside

The portal to the third inner demon's sanctum vanished, leaving just one final door when Cleo returned to the stage for the last time.

She chose to rest. Though barely a nuisance, in the end, the previous fight had taken a lot more out of her than she first realized, having to be on high alert for so long. She sat down, legs dangling from the edge of the stage, and set the dagger down beside her. The entity, who sat in the front row just ahead of Cleo, no longer clapped. Its smile, a white zigzag stretching across a void, stared at Cleo with its piercing gaze, and she stared back at it.

She made a cheeky smirk. "Impressed now?" It gave no reaction. While she felt disappointed, she was just glad to talk to something, even if it was like speaking with a brick wall.

"So. The first demon was all about reliving the lowest point of my life, right?" Despite its lack of reaction, she could have sworn that the entity's grin grew wider. "Not the most flattering look for me, I know. I still can't piece together much from back then. It was a blur. I couldn't think, didn't feel. Just existed."

The entity leaned forward. Cleo had its attention.

"And I've worked through it, tried to, anyway. I was close to getting back on my feet, you know, close to getting my world back into order. And then, this." She held out her arms, gesturing vaguely. "This reality replaced my old one. And now, I don't know if I'll ever get my life back. Was that the point, to make that the last thing I remember about the real world, maybe the last thing I'll ever see from the real world?"

The entity tilted its head forwards, and back up, slowly.

"Hm. Jerk."

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 60/60 (+3) | EN: 15/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

Edited by Them

"Onto the second demon, then; my mother as a wendigo. Entirely accurate, by the way." She spoke lightheartedly, without second-guessing herself.

She frowned when the realization struck her. "That was the point. You depicted my mother as a monster because, deep down, that's how I see her."

Cleo's relationship with her mother was complicated, broken, and, in her eyes, was as such through no fault of her own. She hated the woman for never having time for her, always being consumed by work, and leaving the parenting to her father. It was a bitterness that grew out of control, went untended for too long, and resulted in chaos whenever the two would clash, which always happened when they shared a room.

"Okay, yes. I hate my mother. We don't get along. We're completely different people with completely different priorities. I accepted that a long time ago, it's whatever."

Despite a lack of words, the entity said all that it needed to with a subtle shake of the head.

Cleo's eyebrows scrunched together, a hint of annoyance creeping in. "What do you mean, no?"

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 60/60 | EN: 16/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

"Some things are beyond fixing. We've tried to put our differences aside in the past, tried to be around each other without going for each other's necks. It didn't work out. It's what it is." Cleo, now glaring at the entity, balled her palms into fists. "She was never willing to put her work down for a few hours, so I'm not willing to give her any of my time. She loses out on me, not the other way around."

The entity leaned back into its chair and, for the first time, smiled visibly wider.

"Whatever."

She got up in a huff, grabbing her dagger on the way up. "Enough games. I know what you're doing, and it's not working, alright?" Her frustration showing, she stomped away from the edge of the stage toward the final door. "I'm out of here. Enjoy being on your own again, asshole."

A voice, a whisper, echoed throughout the arena, 'enjoy being on your own.'

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 60/60 | EN: 24/24 (Full restore - three posts out of combat) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

Door number four opened and Cleo passed through, slamming it shut behind her.

The player came out into the darkness, but this time, it was different. There was no floor, no ceiling, no torches lining the walls. There was no furniture from her old dorm room, no living room decor, and no puddles littered throughout a cavern. There was a void everywhere, forever—a vast expanse of nothing.

She tried to feel her way around, sticking an arm out, touching the floor below, jumping to touch the ceiling. Besides the solid plane which she stood on, there were no other sensations to be had, nothing to place her focus onto, no smell nor sound nor sight to be seen. I already hate this.

"I know."

Pain tore through Cleo's thigh as the fourth demon, a white silhouette with purple hair and eyes, flashed into sight, its sword jammed into her leg. The pain was unlike anything she'd felt, sapping a chunk of her hit points, and she recoiled in a panic, kicking the aggressor away. She retaliated with an ST-I, penetrating the demon's arm. It let out a scream which thundered throughout the void and, with a violent yank, freed itself from the player's blade before retreating into the nothingness.

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 60/60 | EN: 24/24 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5
Fourth Inner Demon HP: 45/45 | DMG: 12 | MIT: 3

ID: 204227 | BD: 6 (Hits!) <<ST-I>> vs Fourth Inner Demon | MD: 8 (Hits!)

• Them hits!
    • 4 * 4 - 3 = 13 DMG!
  • Fourth Inner Demon hits!
    • 12 - 5 = 7 DMG!

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 (-7) | EN: 20/24 (-4) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5
Fourth Inner Demon HP: 32/45 (-13) | DMG: 12 | MIT: 3

Edited by Them

Cleo made chase for the demon, its silhouette standing out among the darkness. She was closing in despite the wound from her leg and, readying another attack, began to focus on the target once more.

"What?"

It ran into the darkness and disappeared. Cleo tried to make chase but slammed into an invisible wall upon reaching the point where the demon disappeared. "How?" There was no visible distinction between the edge of the room and the area she could run in. All around her was the void, no points of reference to know which direction she was looking, and no way to see where the newly discovered wall was.

"Over here."

She spun around and, in the distance, spotted the demon. It was across the room, far away. "Get back here!"

The player made for her enemy again, but it disappeared seconds after she started running.

"Behind you."

It was behind her, waiting in the same spot that she'd been seconds ago. A new trick?

"Ah." The demon laughed. "Clever one."

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 21/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5
Fourth Inner Demon HP: 32/45 | DMG: 12 | MIT: 3

ID: 204237 | BD: 3 (Miss!) <<ST-I>> vs Fourth Inner Demon | MD: 3 (Miss!)

• Them misses!
  • Fourth Inner Demon misses!

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 19/24 (-2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

Edited by Them

The two came to a stand-still, neither taking a chance to attack the other.

Able to take a closer look at the assailant, she studied its body. The demon was tall, shoulders broad. Its hair was like hers, if not slightly longer. Its eyes were hers but solid, inhuman. Unlike hers, though, its voice was deep and toed the line between masculine and feminine. The weapon that it held, a basic iron sword with no stand-out characteristics, swayed gently, matching the movements she'd made with her dagger.

As she leaned left, so did the demon. And then to the right. In raising her dagger, the demon raised its sword, but when she dropped her arm, the demon's arm hung in the air, weapon pointed forwards. She felt unnerved. This foe was an homage to herself, even mimicking some of her movements, but it was unique enough to be a distinct entity. What was the Entity getting at with this one?

As it stepped forward, she flinched, and then prepared for an attack. The player would have to figure it out in her own time.

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 20/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

ID: 204238 | BD: 3 (Miss!) <<ST-I>> vs Fourth Inner Demon | MD: 4 (Miss!)

• Them misses!

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 18/24 (-2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

Edited by Them

Its sword aimed forwards, the demon charged in hopes of a piercing attack, but Cleo was fast, stepping aside at just the right time. She attempted to counter with a slash at its chest, but the distance was too far and her dagger swung out of range. Overcalculating the dodge, she stumbled a few feet further than intended and slipped to the floor with a thud. Meanwhile, the demon recovered in an instant and fled further into the void.

Heart racing, Cleo struggled to her feet and recovered her senses, but by the time she could see straight, the fickle demon had disappeared once more.

Whispers reached her ears from every direction, and, trying to spot out a sneak attack from the assailant, she twisted and turned, not allowing herself to be distracted. "Alright, where'd you go?"

One of the whispers grew deeper, louder, forming syllables. Cleo followed the voice to her left and, spotting the enemy in the distance, locked eyes with it. "Got you."

"Do you?"

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 19/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

ID: 204241 | BD: 5 (Miss!) <<ST-I>> vs Fourth Inner Demon | MD: 2 (Miss!)

• Them misses!

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 17/24 (-2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

Edited by Them

"I would be done with you if you stopped running away."

"What fun would that be?"

Cleo, amused, shrugged. "Fair enough, I guess this keeps the fight interesting. The whole pac-man thing is starting to get a little bit old, though." It disappeared again and reappeared behind her.

"Shall we fight fair and square, then? No tricks?"

She jumped, backing away. It stood still, to her relief, finally staying in one spot for more than a few seconds. Curious as to whether it would honor the request, she asked. "Would you have it in your heart?"

Its purple, solid eyes looked to the floor and then around the void, seeming to ponder the request. If Cleo were ballsy, she might try to use this as an opportunity to strike, but she reasoned it to not be worth the risk. The window of opportunity closed when the assailant raised its weapon. Raising hers in tandem, she gave it a questioning look, to which it nodded. "Alright. No tricks."

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 18/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

ID: 204257 | BD: 2 (Miss!) <<ST-I>> vs Fourth Inner Demon | MD: 3 (Miss!)

• Them misses!

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 16/24 (-2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

Edited by Them

Pleasantly surprised yet entirely expecting the trickster to go back on its word, she signaled her agreement with a nod and prepared for an attack. This time, she led a charge on the demon, which must have taken it by surprise as she made a clean slash across its chest, scoring a critical hit. The foe countered with a wild swing at her arm and chunked the player a portion of health, which she panicked upon noticing.

It was Cleo's lowest health yet, with just over 75% of her life force remaining. Were the game's highest level players not consumed with anxiety from watching their life drain with each attack? A few more yet, and she'd be at half-health, where the dreaded orange bar would come into play. She had potions to remedy that and knew the chances of falling any lower were minuscule, but it didn't shake the thought of impending death.

The demon, bereft of human anxiety or indeed any feelings at all, merely shrugged off the hit. Its health would tell a very different story from its demeanor, but then that was probably the point, for it wouldn't be fear-inducing if it were to quiver so quickly.

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 53/60 | EN: 17/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

ID: 204258 | BD: 9 (Minor critical!) <<ST-I>> vs Fourth Inner Demon | MD: 7 (Hit!)

• Them hits!
    • (4 + 1) * 5 - 3 = 17 DMG!
    • 12 - 5 = 7 DMG!

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 46/60 (-7) | EN: 13/24 (-4) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5
Fourth Inner Demon HP: 15/45 (-17) | DMG: 12 | MIT: 3

Edited by Them

"Well struck!" The demon sounded amused, almost delighted. "Now, I'll show you what a real attack looks like!"

The demon bent its knees, lowered its weapon, and concentrated. A clone of itself formed, kneeling next to it, and another. Encircling the player, an army of the demon's clones stood up in unison. "Which one is the real one? How would you tell?"

Cleo stepped back, spinning, trying to follow the real one. "You said no more tricks!"

The clones all started toward Cleo in unison before diverging into separate paths, circling in on her position. She tried to predict which one might take a swing, but her efforts were fruitless and, losing track of the real one, suffered a gruesome stab through the shoulder as the actual demon jumped at her from behind. It leaned in close, pushing the blade further. "And you believed me? Dear, your naivety astounds me!"

Before she could retaliate, the demon was gone, blending into the crowd of clones and disappearing into the distance. Nothing else had attacked, which she'd taken to mean they were purely for looks, created to intimidate. She gathered herself and stood, with numbness in her shoulder, awaiting her foe's ensuing approach. "Alright, then. Try me again."

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 46/60 | EN: 14/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5
Fourth Inner Demon HP: 15/45 | DMG: 12 | MIT: 3

ID: 204259 | BD: 5 (Miss!) <<ST-I>> vs Fourth Inner Demon | MD: 7 (Hit!)

• Them misses!
    • 12 - 5 = 7 DMG!

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 39/60 (-7) | EN: 12/24 (-2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

Edited by Them

There must have been a clue, some indication of which apparition was the real inner demon. The clones surrounded Cleo, encircling her. With malice in their eyes, she would notice that they all moved in a counter-clockwise fashion, overtaking each other, trying to throw her off.

However, one of them strayed from the pack, running clockwise. Could it be that obvious? The player snapped toward the target, focusing, anticipating the moment that it would stop stalking in the distance and approach, rusty dagger at the ready.

It broke formation and made toward her with an attack identical to the last, but she countered, ignoring the assailant, and gunned straight for its heart. Her blade, a glistening mass, struck the target with precision and force and of which she'd never delivered before— a perfect hit. The demon's clones dissipated, itself alongside them.

The room seemed to be fading into further darkness. Cleo made to grab hold of something, anything to get her bearings, but the world was fading into obscurity. In the void, alone, she lay there.

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 39/60 | EN: 13/24 (+1) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5

ID: 204259 | BD: 10 (Major critical!) <<ST-I>> vs Fourth Inner Demon

• Them hits!
    • (4 + 2) * 4 - 3 = 21 DMG!

Them | Lv. 3 | HP: 39/60 | EN: 9/24 (-4) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5
Fourth Inner Demon HP: 0/45 (-21) | DMG: 12 | MIT: 3

Edited by Them

Cleo opened her eyes, slowly, light flooding through. Clouds floated above, red sun in the sky partially obscured a jungle's canopy. A gentle stream trickled nearby, the sound of flowing water massaging her soul, blocking out any other noises which came from afar. For a brief moment, she had forgotten about everything, about the entity, and the theatre, the four demons, and the facing of her past struggles.

Then, as if awoken from a trance, she jumped in a panic. "No!" The entity was nowhere, and the otherwordly dimension, gone, much to her relief. When she got her bearings back, the player realized that she was back in the sixth-floor jungles, in the very spot where she'd been transported away, her mind taken to another plane of existence. Her health, now just over half, jumped back into the green. The fighting was over.

A blue window appeared ahead of her. Congratulations. She stood, staring at it, the rewards a meager consolation for the things she'd endured. Was it worth it? It was a question she'd ponder to herself over and over, never quite knowing the answer. Her soul was anything but calm. At the very least, she'd come to realizations blissfully unknown to her before, a start to the process of fixing herself.

For now, she wanted to go home. It was late, and she was tired.