[F1-PP] Barn Brothers Inc. Slam Poetry Session! <<Earning a Living: Performer>> (Soren Rider and Theodore Bell)

Soren stood gazing around the town of beginnings, looking around at various vendor shops and people passing by. It couldn't be much earlier than 7 in the morning, the sun somewhat up in the sky, though, when walking, it was blocked by the occasional building. Soren had risen early to watch the sunrise, something he was excited about in his early days in the foster program. This was something that persisted into his eventual adoption with his ol' man, and was still something he enjoyed during college. Since he was never really a party hog, he would get up relatively early and work on computer tech stuff while his mother, Rita, prepared breakfast. Even in a game, these habits didn't die. Adventurers and NPC's alike had begun to roam the streets. Soren had found his ol' man recently in this game, and had made a party with two other individuals, though some may have left for their own adventures. Syra was out and about doing something else, but Soren was happy to call her a friend. And Zenshu, the other one, likely had other quests on other floors.

Theodore Bell, Soren's ol' man, wanted to get an aggro skill to attract boars and other mobs to attack him instead of his party members. Soren had thought about it more since the discussion. Honestly, Soren was proud of his ol' man's accomplishments so far in this game, but how far would they get by themselves? Would surviving a couple encounters outside the safezone get them anywhere? Certainly, sticking together would greatly increase their chance of surviving the game and making it out alive. Regardless, Soren hadn't checked up on his ol' man, and he wasn't doing anything worth while. 

"Damnit, I have been sitting on my ass doing nothing productive... this is not like me. I need to go and get a fucking job. Maybe my ol' man would like to accompany me..." Soren looked over his shoulder at passer-bys and then he nodded his head confirming something he hand thought in his head. "Honestly, you haven't done anything with your ol' man in years. Its time you begin taking advantage of the time you have with him in this game, you won't get another chance..." And thus Soren moved his hand forward to send a message to Teddy. Finding his friend list, which was packed full of three individuals, he pressed on Theodore Bell's username. Sending a message: "HEY OL" MAN, you should come with me to get a job... I was thinking that I could try my hand a some music or maybe alchemy. At least I would have a means of income, maybe I could even make you something that you could use in combat to attract aggro... And speaking of Aggro, maybe we could also experiment with combat near the safe zone sometime today so you might learn how to aggro boars and other mobs like Zenshu mentioned in our last adventure. Message back or meet me outside the northern section of the town of beginnings. Your Son -Soren. 

"Hope the ol' man arrives soon, best pack up my shit... oh wait, its already packed away in my inventory... guess I can just head over there now." Soren turned and began walking through the town of beginnings to the northern entrance. He walked past signposts for various trinkets and armor, and even a tailor's store. This was the place to be if Soren wanted to buy beginner's equipment. Soren, who had chosen the basic starter pack, didn't really need any special equipment, at least for a while. After a few minutes, Soren realized that he hadn't been paying attention to the direction he had been wandering and was now near the Western side of the town. "Fuckin black jack! Stop wandering around aimlessly, you know you need to go north! Thats what you put in the message... otherwise the ol' man is gonna think you are stupid Soren"  So Soren turned and looked up to read the road signs. After scanning the signs, Soren turned again, forty-five degrees to the left and walked until he ended up at the edge of the inner town, north on a compass. "Guess I should wait here for a few minutes, maybe even an hour, for him to show up. I could have possibly interrupted his crossword puzzle again..." And thus, Soren Rider awaited his ol' man, patiently, sitting on a ledge and messing with his menu.

Spoiler

Soren Rider | Lvl: 1 | SP 5/5 | HP 20 | EN 20 | 1 DMG | MIT 6 | BLD 12 |

Equipped: Light Armor (1 MIT Slot)

Equipped: Short Sword (1 BLD Slot)

Five potions of healing (50hp each)

Word Count: 746

The day was certainly young. That was the least that could be said. The sun just barely peeking over the horizon, the cool wind of dawn washed over the ol’ man as he sat in the old rocking chair outside his tavern of choice. It was a nice establishment, basic sure, but that is what made things easy for Teddy. He didn't have to worry about opening menus, didn't have to worry about anything other than going to your rooms and taking a load off. The rooms were rather spartan but that didn't bother him any, he never really needed more than a bed, a dresser, and a mirror. Though if that was all he wanted he would have let Levi put him in a home years ago. He chuckles under his breath as he thinks about the strangeness of this place. Something of Hilbert's Paradox of the Grand Hotel, not that he had any intention of solving the paradox… maybe a smarter man with more time could. But that man was not him and the time was not today.

He stood up and stretched, unsure of how much time had passed, and not really worried about it either. Somewhere in the back of his mind he remembered that Levi had asked him to join on a quest, something about getting a job? It didn't make much sense, though few things in the world did anymore. No, his mind was on enjoying this fine day, he looked down at the gray plaid button up and blue jeans he was wearing. It was rather unimpressive, but they didn't have many crazy options in the creation menu… or if they did, Teddy had not noticed, and besides, this was comfortable. He took some time stretching, feeling the non-existent mussels in his limbs pull against his skin as if they really were real. “Ahhhh’ll raght, what does today have in store for this ol’ man? Ah got that thing that Levi wanted me to grab. Ah got mah new shield, which is quahte exciting if Ah do say so mahself, an’ Ah got those fancy crystals that Levi asked me to grab… so now what? Perhaps a walk will refresh mah mind” It wasn't long through the bustling streets of The Town of Beginnings, the NPC shops mostly not even open yet, it was quite early in the morning after all. The normally bustilling city was strangely quite, The Heart of Aincrad He thought, So many people here, from so many walks of life and yet the city is not dissimilar to any other large city. You have everything from the asshole on their way to do nothing, to the elderly on their mid-morning stroll. He I guess I fit in the latter category, eh? I wonder how busy the floor would be with everyone here. Surely it could lead to a true governmental structure. Something out side the walls of those that were pre-established by the developer. Now that I think about it, I would love to meet the guy, talk to him, see what all he has going on inside that head of his. Surely it is something completely forign to me, but the development couldnt be that far from standard engineering. On a different playing field? Sure, but engineering none the less. I wonder if.. The thought was cut off by a blip on his HUD. Daggumit how do I open this again? Teddy swiped at nothing for a while as his frustration grew. Normally his frustration with such things he would keep hidden as to not look incompatent. Right now, however, there was no one around to see him act like a buffoon and get angry about it. So after some struggling he finally got the blasted thing open. 

He hit the reply button as best he could and typed away in a hunt and peck fashion. Something that could be expected of one his age. 

<Levi, 

I am so sorry! I forgot you had asked me to join you one this… however long ago it was… Where was it you wanted to meet me again? It was the performer’s shop right? I will meet you over there shortly, I think I am in relatively the same area as the shop so it should be only a few minutes. 

Sincerely Yours,

Theodor Bell>

He listened to the little sound the game made when a message sent, a little swoosh. It was always fun to listen to. There was so much about this game that sent Teddies head into a tizzy. Sometimes it was the menus, sometimes it was the people. But it was the little things that really made his day. The detail on the brick road, the feel of a sunflowers petals, the little sounds the game made as it did the things it was programmed for. Things like that always made the old man beam from ear to ear.

It didnt take too long for him to reach the performer shop and the walk was a nice one, still not many people were out and about, the silence in this place was so stark in contrast to the day that on occasion Teddy worried his hearing was going out. But then the thought of Oh right, this is a game would cross his mind and his tension would ease. He spotted his son leaning against the performer shop and gave him a hearty wave “Mornin’ son! Are you ready to get this show on the road?” he said with  a large beaming smile “Ah never knew you were into the fahne arts! Ah wish you would have told me, you know your ol’ mand used to play fiddle back in college… Ah those were the years. But enough ahbout the past. You tell me what Ah need to do to help you!” He continued to smile at his son before turning to a crow that landed nearby. He gave a small prayer under his breath and awaited further instructions

Spoiler

Lvl: 1 | SP 1/5 | HP 20 | EN 20 | DMG 4 | MIT 14 | THRN 18

Battle Ready Invantory

3 Starter Healing Potions

2 Eleanór a Rún (Perfect Healing Song)

Skills:

Heavy Armor - 1 Ranks| 4 SP

Inventory:

New Character Bundle:  Tank Package: Rare Armor of choice, (3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP), 2,500 Col and (10) Materials            

Equipment

Standard Platemail - Rare Armor

Thorns

2 Slot

Effect: Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (9 per slot * Tier) unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks.

Shield of Bell - Perfect Shield - Purchase

A medium sized kite shield. Polished to a mirror finish, with a golden phoenix emblazoned across it's front.

Thorns

2 Slot

Effect: Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (9 per slot * Tier) unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks.

Mitigation
1 slot
Effect:  Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage from successful attacks against you.
Applicable to: Light Armor, Heavy Armor, Shields

Hammer of Bahn - Perfect Hammer - Purchase

A glistening hammer of steel. The folds of steel have been etched into the form, and gold leaf decorated the edges.
Damage
3 slots
Effect: +(1 * Tier) base damage per slot.
Applicable to: Weapons

Consumables In Inventory

(T1)Eleanór a Rún 1 Support Song [HP Recovery] | Perfect | 208990, 208993, 209020

(T1)Sí do Mhaimeo Í Support Song [Monster's Fortune] | Uncommon | 209014

(T1)Eleanór a Rún | Support Song [HP Recovery] | Perfect [Masterpiece; Mass] |  208989

-----

Word Count: 1002

-----

Soren had walked all the way to the northern wall of the town of beginnings, which was quite the distance for a morning walk. As he came to his destination, he heard the familiar ping as his notification tab lit up in his vision. “I am surprised he was able to message so quickly, he was fucking slow at messaging back in the real world. Wonder how far he is from this spot” Soren opened the notification and looked in horror as he read the message. “Well, he fucking remembered that we were to meet at the performer’s shop, but the message I just sent him said to meet at the Northern… actually, he isn’t wrong. Guess I need to get my ass over to the performer’s shop pronto” Soren messaged his ol’ man, starting with the symbols that represented a smiling emoji, followed by the comment, “Aight, lets do this!” And he moved his hand to close the notifications tab. Soren smirked as he turned to move toward the marketing and vendor section of the town, which was closer to the northern center of the town of beginnings. 

Upon arriving at the performer’s shop, his ol’ man was still nowhere in sight. “Alright, that’s fucking good, I still managed to beat him here. Guess he took some time trying to bat that notification shit that I sent him away. Regardless, I should figure out exactly who this store belongs to.” Soren waited for a minute before an random adventurer walked out of the store to ask his question. “Hey, I hope I am not bothering you. I just want to know who owns this shit, hole in the wall, store?” The person walking out was taken aback by the words for this stranger. “Um… I think his name is.. uh, Landon or Labrum. I don’t know. Sorry!“ Unsurprisingly, Soren let them continue out. Soren got the name Landon or Labrum, so he would use the first upon entry, and if the man or woman was surprised, he would be corrected. At least the two names were somewhat close in spelling. Soren learned against the wall to give his legs a rest. He had, indeed, walked several miles just to end up at the performer’s shop, which was a third of a mile at most from where he was beginning his travel through the town of beginnings. 

And that’s when Soren heard a familiar voice, ol’, raspy, but kind. His ol’ man was waving and giving him the good ol’ morning greeting. And that is my ol’ man, ready to start the day early… His ol’ man starting talking about his years enjoying the fine arts and playing the fiddle  Morning dad, nice of you to show up this early in the morning for an adventure. I decided to get up early to watch the sunrise and walked about as fucking far and Forest Gump ran in the movie. Shit sucked, but I gues it was a reasonable workout.  And as for my interest in the fine arts, I was thinking I might try my hand at poetry or something. That shit would be considered a performance, right? With this fucking chalk material, I could write myself some damn good poetry, developing it into a masterpiece or something… As for how you can help, I was thinking you could practice attracting the boars attention at the edge of the safe zone while I look for materials and create my first successful poem. How does that sound? Get some father-son time that has been lacking over the years… I think I could learn a bit from your past, like maybe some of your past D&D adventures and some of your friends who have passed to Valhalla, Heaven, or Nirvana. 

As Soren finished talking, a crow landed on the nearby street post. “Fuck, that’s another Norse Mythology symbol… my ol’ man must take that as a sign from Odin… Maybe that means Odin approves my fucking miserable existence, or maybe he finds my existence amusing? Regardless, lets start this quest.” ”Aight ol’ man, I’ll be right out. Then we will go head out of the town of beginnings unless we have a change of plans. Sound good?”  Soren didn’t wait for his ol’ man to confirm or deny his request, opening the door to the hole in the wall performer’s shop. As Soren entered, a rock and roll song greeted him in its finest and most powerful representation. ”Wow, this guy is fuckin good as playing the guitar! Hope I can get this good at poetry, or maybe I should take up the guitar…” As Soren continued inside and turned to the side, he saw a man playing this rock and roll on a lot… on a lute of all things! “That’s…. Fucking AWESOME!” Soren reluctantly spoke up to get the performer’s attention. Excuse me, I don’t mean to bother you and shit, especially while you play some amazing riff, but could you please lead me to the owner, Landon, of this establishment? Landon stopped, raked his hand through his pointed white hair, and grinned at Soren ”Sure, I am Landon, and I take requests!”. Soren was only a bit surprised that this guy was the owner of the performer’s establishment, he certainly was great at rock and roll.

You do some amazing rock and roll by the way, that is quite amazing. I’m actually not here to fuck around though, I am actually interested in becoming a performer myself, specifically with poetry. Would take my request to help me become a performer like yourself? I am willing to pay any amount reasonable or search for materials or whatever… it would mean the fucking world to me if you could guide me in this endeavor… Shit, please consider taking me on as a mentor or something…

Landon laughs similar to his ol’ man and replied “I wasn’t expecting that kind of request honestly, but yes, I’ll help. The problem is that, as you saw with the guy leaving the shop earlier, I have a few more orders to fill out today, and I am getting low on recording crystals. If you go out and get me more mats to fulfill my orders, I’ll finish them up and we can meet in the middle. How does that sound?” 

Soren was excited to have gotten confirmation from Landon. He moved his hand forward to see the quest icon notification light up. It’s requirement was 5 materials, which would be a breeze to get near the edge of the safe zone right outside the town of beginnings. Fuck yes, LETS GO! Soren ran out of the establishment to give Teddy the good news. He was gonna become a poet!

————

Word Count: 1,125

————

Edited by Soren Rider
Mistake about what Theodore Bell had equipped in previous post

“OH!” He said with a kind surprise due to the bright idea Levi had come up with “Ah think that would be a mahghty fahne way to make use of the material ya’ found. Ah look forward to the many masterpieces that you come up with. Ah can Imagine you have much to say and what better whay than a poem?”

Teddy gave a beaming smile to Levi. “Ah think that would be mighty fahne. Ahdea!” He was excited to get to spend time with his son. “Ah’ll be here when ya get out!” Teddy sat down on the sidewalk. Watching as the bird watched the city. I wonder what is going on inside that head. I am sure that there is some amount of thought, some amount of sentience in there… or at least there would be in the realm we left. Do they know of the world they reside in? Do they have interest in the giants that, while powerful, are eternally landlocked while they soar above in the skies? Perhaps they look down on us, uncaring and unloving from their perch. Perhaps they are in eternal hunt for the All Father. None can say I suppose. 

It was shortly after this that he realized he would need to put his armor and new equipment on. He waved his hand in front of him confidently… and… nothing. The old man sighed, looking around. There was a younger man jogging past, Teddy waved him down. “Parden me, younin’ do you think you could assist me in somethin’? It appears Ah have forgotten how to open mah inventory again” 

The man stopped, looking at the old man. “Sure I can help you with that, take your right hand and move it straight down!” The man said with a smile that spoke of a mix of helpfulness and pity.

Teddy relented, putting the thoughts about this man aside. He followed the instructions, it still took a few tries but then he got it. “Okay and then I push inventory right?

“Right, then you click and hold the items you want to equip and put in your battle ready slots”

“Whell, Ah do greatly appreciate you assistance friend!” He said as he equipped the helmless plate mail. The shine of the steel as though it was freshly polished, though right underneath lies the vines that would sew harm to anyone that would seek to cause pain. In the center of the armor was the vibrant green and red rose that was inlaid in the armor as though an insignia or coat of arms. He then equipped the medium Kite Shield, “The Shield of Bell, eh? Ah wonder if he did that on purpose” Teddy said smiling as he observed the shield closely, admiring the craftsmanship, the shape alone was expertly molded, the perfect curves of the outer supports on that gave the impression of a coy power. The mirror finish reminded him almost of the shield of perseus. A mirror fine enough for protection and to see your foe. And in the center, emblazoned in Gold and copper slightly tarnished to give the appearance of fire was the bird of rebirth. The golden phoenix. It was surprisingly a lighter heft than Teddy had expected but he figured it was more due to the game mechanics than anything else. Then he equipped the Hammer of Bahn. The one handed hammer, which he had held in a leather loop on his hip for a sheath, looked like something out of dwarven myths. The delicately folded steel combined with the inlays to make something truly remarkable. 

Levi was still in the shop, so he started thinking back to the stories he could tell. The times of exploits I had in the world that was ruled in not but his mind. It would be good to have some stuff fresh in my mind, like the time my pirate, Yevoldor, found a crystal that ended the world in the seafaring campaign he played in or the time that I ran the hell run style of campaign, that one was alway a good tale. I will have to make sure I am not telling him stories he has heard before. No use in a retelling after all. 

It wasn't long after this that Levi came careening out of the shop. “Don't get yourself in a tizzy nahw, HeHe” Teddy said with a chuckle as his son came rushing out. “Ah wouldn't want you to fahnd yourself on the ground before we even get out to the fields. So what all did you find?” Teddy was smiling at Levi with a sort of pride, he was sure that this day would be just as pleasant as he hoped when he received the first message from Levi.

-----

Word Count: 797

-----

Soren came out of the shop to see quite the sight. His ol' man was there before him, a set of plate armor was equipped to his body, and an insignia of a vibrant green and red rose with actual thorns jutting from it, stood as a sign of a ready combatant. In his left hand was a shield, made in the kite design, or commonly referred to as a kite shield, adorned with the beautiful bird of rebirth, the phoenix, as described in mythology. The material plating was likely gold with some other alloy, almost appearing to give off a living flame. In his other hand was equipped a hammer, one of exceedingly good make. Soren took a second, smiling from the previous encounter inside the shop, but his eyes gave the sense of a little more awe. Looks like he went out of his fucking way to explore the town and bought some gear over the past few days, we really will be able to accomplish a fuck-ton at this rate!

I must say, I really enjoy the fucking mythology-esque design of your armor and weapons, that shit looks dope! Are you certain the armor is of top quality? I wouldn't trust everything a shop-owner, especially the talkative bastards, says about the make of their wears, especially when their goods could be the difference between life and death. Regardless, the plate armor was your starting gear, so we can rely on that as much as anyone. 

Soren had spent the minute appreciating the finer quality make of the shield and hammer in particular. He moved forward, touching the material and gazing at its aesthetic beauty. Goddamn, these really are of a fine quality, whoever made these is no slouch... Might I ask, did the same person make both of these items or were they made by two different smiths? They appear to be of above average make. I wouldn't mind possibly commissioning them in the future, though its unlikely. Soren knew he wanted to be a martial artist, specializing in dps and healing. It was unlikely he would need wears from a blacksmith, but at least he would have a reliable name to go to or sponsor while he adventured. I realize that I myself have not bought any additional gear from vendors here in the town, though I don't suspect I will need any until I have gone to the second floor to learn martial arts. Until then, I could still go to his shop and check out his wears.

Soren smiled as he remembered he hadn't told his father the good news. It would seem the badass lute performer named Landon is willing to teach me how to become a performer, specifically a poet. Do you remember rock and roll? Thats basically the shit he plays, but on a lute! He said he had to fill out some personal requests or some commissions or some shit, so he would need me to retrieve a few materials and then come back. Then, Landon will assist me and we'll make some fucking awesome poetry! I am unbelievably hyped to get started. While I go and collect mats in the tall grass, you can stand near the safe zone, though on the opposite side, and slaughter the herd. I don't doubt your tank capabilities will far exceed that shitty livestock. You did buy the potions I spoke of earlier with the new armor, right? You can just provoke the herd and they'll die to the thorns on your armor... that's the plan at least. It'll give you the practice of being a fucking impenetrable force!

Soren also remembered a town that an adventurer had mentioned in small talk at a cafe. I was also thinking of exploring the nearby settlements, specifically a town called Tolbana. Not sure how fucking great it could be, but I heard some wonderful rumors at least. The guy spoke of elaborate white wall window towers, almost like a European town. Its not very large, measuring something like 200-300 meters max. I think that they tend to go to that small fucking town for food, so maybe we could eat lunch there or something. There was also another place, but I don....

At that moment, Soren stopped. The name of the place was on the tip of his tongue. Fuck, I know it starts with a M... Metropolis? No moron, it wasn't a town of any kind... it was some kind of structure... Mans... Mo... Monument! Its the fucking Monument of Grath, how could I have forgotten! Soren's eyes widened as he remembered the name of the location he wanted to check out.

Oh yes, I also want to go to something called the "Monument of Grath", which apparently refers to a boss that was beaten in the Labrinth on this floor. Hell, I might even my respects at the statue because of all the players who met their demise against that boss. I might not have felt the need to adventure out until now, but those brave sons of bitches did so immediately, allowing us to get through to later floors... they kind of paved the way for us.

Soren stopped speaking as he became aware he was rambling on. He gave a glance to his father and gave the thumbs up, sort of requesting for confirmation Let's get going out to the plains! You can reck havoc upon the herd while I climb some large fucking tree or something and find some more of that God-forsaken chalk. Soren began to walk toward the northern gate, the presumption that his father was following him. 

-------

Word Count: 940

-------

The old man smiled at his son as he came out and admired his new gear. “Aye Ah am sure that this stuff is hahgh quality. The shopkeep gave it to me for free in exchange for bein’ some advertising’ for ‘em. Wouldn’t want your clients dying with your stuff on, be bad for business. He He” Teddy thought for a moment, “Ah am not sure that if ya are lookin’ for hand wraps that a blacksmith is the rahght way to go… unless this game is different from the knowledge from tabletop gaming, Ah’d say you are probably lookin’ for a tailor or similar.” 

He smiled listening to Levi talk about going into the shop and meeting the guitarist in there. “Yea’ Ah remember rock an’ roll, goodness Ah was just entering high school when…” Teddy paused as he began to think that far back, the box was bulging again. Teddy put the mask on, like he always did, the one that made everyone feel better. The one he lived on, the one that would last until it either stopped being a mask or the things that made his insides swim were long behind him. He hoped, and assumed he realized his mistake fast enough that Levi wouldn’t notice “Ya’ probably dont want to listen to an ol’ man ramble about ‘The good ol’ days’” Teddy made air quotes as he said this and chuckled “Whell Ah look forward to seein’ what you write! Ah think that doin’ some proper combat training would do me some good! Who knows we mahght even find something worthwhile!”

“Nahw, what in tarnation is a meter?” He said giving a suspenseful pause before laughing. “Nah Ah know what a meter is, headin’ that way would be a mahghty fahne idea. They probably have some interesting food we can try an’ Ah reckon bah the tahme we get there it’ll be just about dinner tahme.!” 

Teddy nodded at the notion of paying respects “Aye, it is a crazy notion to think of how far the population of this game has come. They laid their lahves down for us so we could achieve greatness. Best we dont let them down eh?”

The duo made their way to the now all too familiar planes. The memories of the eternal search from the first lessons still fresh. “This place really is beautiful isn’t it?” He said, not really intending on receiving an answer. The world stretched out before them and they had much ground to cover.

Taking the hammer from the belt loop, Teddy gave it a few practice swings. He found a tree and attempted to hit it with his mighty hammer. Though he was repelled with surprising force, a small tag popped up that read ‘Immortal Object’. He laughed, “Whell that just aint fair!” He walked back over to Levi, now he was all warmed up. “Ah guess Ah’ll try and fahnd something to confront. OH rahght ah found somethin’ while out and about that Ah figured Ah’d give a try.” He opened his inventory pulling out a small green crystalline rectangle. He had remembered grabbing this from the shop run by Nari. He fumbled for a moment as he attempted to figure out how the thing worked, but once he did it played a brilliant and beautiful song. He couldn’t understand any of it but that didn't make it any less beautiful in the man’s mind. He could feel the thing washing over him, emboldening him in some way far beyond his reckoning. “Ah think that will serve me quite well… though Ah cant remember quite what it does. Only one way to fahnd out.” He then found a boar roaming the wilds. This should, in theory, be quite easy. He squared his shoulders and took a deep breath. So long as Levi didn’t somehow aggro the thing everything should go rather smoothly.

- used (T1)Sí do Mhaimeo Í Support Song [Monster's Fortune] | Uncommon | 209014

-----

Word Count: 649

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell
Forgot to note what was used in post

Soren took his ol' man's appreciation for the equipment as a sign of trust. His ol' man was not as accustomed to the game, but he must have had experiences while at the toy store which would constitute building trust. Regardless, his ol' man also knew that he was going for martial arts, and that hand wraps wouldn't be something crafted by a blacksmith. Yeah, that shits true. The ol' man was also on board to go to the town and to the monument, which his ol' man mentioned might be closer to dinner time.  Fuck, I didn't think to ask when their establishment in Tolbana closes, and the walk and combat might quite possibly put us closer to dinner... most meal establishments should still be open around 6pm, we should have plenty of time. If we make our way toward the monument, we will likely encounter our first boar... You will fucking give them hell while I will search for mats once I see you have started.  

Then, Soren and Teddy began their hike out of the town of beginnings, which wasn't long before they officially were in the Plains biome. Teddy said something along the lines of "Ain't this beautiful?" which reminded Soren of only a couple days before. "Yeah, this kickass place will hold some of my favorite memories with Syra and Zenshu, my two first friends in this game"  Although Soren did not reply to his ol' man, he caught the sense he didn't have to. The moment was breathtaking, the breeze once again ruffling the tall grass, almost as though it was waving at them. Suddenly, breaking the moment, Teddy equipped his hammer and moved to strike a nearby tree... quite possibly the same one Syra had climbed to the top of just days before. I hope the ol' man knows that the tree in an immortal entity, part of the map structure, and cannot be destroyed... Which then popped up before Teddy in the form of a small tag. Soren laughed Goddamn dad, it looks like the tree won! Soren stopped laughing, but continued to smile as he opened his inventory to make certain he brought the potions... Now remember, if things get into a fucking bind, I have 5 basic health potions I can send to you. Once you have used a couple, just ask and I will send them over. Soren moved away from his inventory and checked his messages, hoping he might receive something from Syra or Zenshu on their next adventure... so far, nothing. 

At about this time, Teddy had found his opponent. A short boar, about 2 feet tall, with brown and white blended fur, was out grazing. Soren knew that would be an easy fight so long as it didn't attract a pack of wolves. Regardless, Soren wasn't about to jump in unless it was life or death... and even then, he might not. 

Soren instead thought about what Syra had done, climbing to the top of the tree to get a better view of mats in the grass. In theory, the game would not function with that kind of advantage, but it was worth a shot. At least until his father was done taking on a few boars, Soren would climb up the tree and search. Grabbing the first limb, Soren remembered when he was a kid at the foster house. He had managed to escape outside with a boy named Sebastion, and they wanted to get as much time out before they would be eventually discovered and, unfortunately, beat. 

Fuck, stopping thinking about the time you were in the foster care system Levi, that time is long since past. That ol' hag is probably dead to, along with the dude who thought he owned the place, but I could care less. Sebastion may or may not be dead himself, and it is unlikely he came to have a fortunate conclusion to his story like I did. 

With that, Soren climbed the tree. After the first limb, Soren appeared to transform into a monkey, climbing up to the top in a mere few seconds. Wow, it really has been a long time since I beat Sebastion at tree climbing. Wouldn't mind doing this every time I search for mats. Soren looked down at his ol' man, who was quite small from his viewpoint. Thats right dad, break its fucking legs! Soren shouted with excitement. Switching his gaze to the other side of the tree, Soren began scanning for a material... it was so unlikely he would find another material in tall grass, but alas, he found 5 from the last quest, so finding a couple more should be a walk in the park. 

Thats when Soren noticed the shimmer, which came about seven to ten paces from the tree. Soren swung out with the tree limb, essentially grabbing one and then another to reduce the fall speed. Once he hit the ground, he turned and faced the direction out from the tree. If I remember that stupid math class I took, the diameter of a circle was the full line through its center. If I made a circle with this tree being the center, the radius toward the first material would be approximately ten paces. I might be able to track where the game is generating chalk and farm the material that way....

Soren moved eight paces and caught a short glimpse of the all-familiar shimmer. Soren reached out and acquired the chalk, a tag popping up that he had found 1 material. Holy fuck, today started out great and has only gotten better! With that, Soren retraced his steps back to the tree and began to climb back to the top.

209582 | LD:18 (+1 Mat | 1 Mat Found) 

-------

Word Count: 955

-------                                                                       

Edited by Soren Rider

He looked at his son with a smile. “So how do you feel about me spinning you a yarn? I will be as The Fates spin for Odin. Stories of triumph and mystery, of love and hurt, of chaos and law. Ah know you said that you were interested in them when we were walkin’ over here. Is there one in particular you are interested in?” 

Teddy began to look around, as he figured out what he would want to start with. There was a small group of boars nearby that he had considered facing but perhaps that should be once he got the hang of it. He then saw another boar, one that was by itself. He made his way over to it proudly. “This should be fairly easy, rahght? Ah wont have to worry bout it too much if it his me cause of mah armor.” He said looking to Levi for confirmation. Though regardless as to what the boy said he still made his way to it.

Teddy squared his shoulders and placed the shield in front of him as a true warrior. “Ah appreciate it, Ah will let ya’ know!”  

He found a boar and charged it. He could feel the power behind the adrenaline rush of combat. It was no wonder so many people went for a build that would allow for strong combat. He didn’t think much of it though. It was a nice feeling, and being able to use his body like this was something to truly wonder at. He wondered if everyone felt this way.

The hammer flew through like the air like the warriors of old, colliding hard with the target. He watched as the boar huffed and slid back at the impact. “Whell, Ah’ll be damned” He said looking over at Levi, “Did ya see that? It went skiddin’.” 

He laughed as he looked up at his son, who was rooting for him. “Aye, Ah’ll get the bugger next hit!” He looked at the boar with a glint in his eyes. “Pray that it be your last” A thought crossed his mind then as he looked back to Levi. “How did ya get up there anyway?” Then the boar reared up, rushing the old man. Teddy had expected the thorns of his armor to show themselves oncemore but instead the shield alighted. A spinning vortex of flames stemming from the golden bird emblazoned on it. He Watched briefly as in the flames the bird on the shield took flight. As this happened Teddy raised the shield and readied himself. Though the gesture did not matter as the boar went wide. Teddy laughed, “Nah you ain’t gonna take me out if ya can't hit me. Maybe you are the one who needs lessons.” but the battle wasn’t over yet!

_______

209539 | BD:9 (minor crit) 5dmg to boar | MD: 5 (Miss)

[2]Theodore Bell HP 20/20 | EN 19/20 | DMG 4 | MIT 14 | THRN 18

Boar 1 | HP: 25/30 | DMG: 12

-----

word count: 468

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell

Before Soren had gotten even a fourth of the way up the tree, he decided it would be a good idea to move around the tree trunk and check up on his father's progress. From the distance, Soren could tell that the boar had taken a significant hit from his father, which was outstanding. He could tell that, from the successful hit, his father was building up hate. Honestly though, much of the plan involved his father being successfully hit, but if he wasn't ever hit, he wouldn't have to use up the potions they got for the outing, which might save them money... Yeah, that's it dad, give 'em hell. Now, what tale would I like to hear from my ol' man... I know, maybe he could describe the adventure of his favorite character! That way, there is sure to be enough room for improvisation and embellishment, but the story would still be conveyed. 

Soren began to climb up the tree again, only a few moments later being called out by his father. Yup, that boar might be out sooner than we thought. Give 'em another good strike with the fucking hammer for good measure though. I also just found a material back here near this tall tree, gonna keep watching from up there.  

Soren continued to the top of the tree, his viewpoint was impressive. He made a mental note of the direction he found the first material and began to rotate, his center being the tree.

209594 | LD:14 (+0 Mats | 1 Mat Found)

-------

Wordcount: 249

-------

Edited by Soren Rider

Teddy was happy with how this was going so far, the first strike was well placed and his mind began to wander. The stories of his adventures as a player swarming. He wondered what would make the best story, after all some are better experienced than played.

It wasn't long before time caught up with him though, the boar rushing past in another failed attempt at a strike. Attempting on the fly, still a bit dazed from the deep thought, Teddy swings the hammer down. Attempting to catch the boar in an opening as it rushed by. Though the unfamiliarity with these things was more than he was ready for and with him being a bit more top heavy than he expected, he fell as the hammer swung through the air. There was, for a brief moment, a point where the fear of being unable to stand arose in his mind as he lay there. But then he laughed. "Maybe Ah can get 'em on the next one" he said as he stood back up. Picking the hammer back up as well. 

He looked to Soren as he hung in the tree. "Whell Ah am glad that y'alls quest of searching is treatin' you better than this *heated combat* is treatin' me" Teddy says with a laugh. He had not expected to fall over but he changed his footing, hoping he was in a stronger position than before, and prepared to try again.

_____

209598 | BD: 1 (Critical Fail) | MD: 5 (Fail)

[2]Theodore Bell HP 20/20 | EN 19/20 | DMG 4 | MIT 14 | THRN 18

Boar 1 | HP: 25/30 | DMG: 12

-----

Word count: 243

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell

Soren reached the peak of the tree, his view back to being superior. Yes, this must be like eagle sight, superior in every fucking way Soren caught sight of the boar missing his father again. Soren took both hands off the tree, swung down so he was situated swinging upside down on a tree limb, his legs clenched to hold his weight. Putting both hands to his mouth to speak loud enough to be heard he made his voice boom. That boar is unbelievably clumsy, move right and swing down with the hammer as it passes you! The hammer went up for the swing, but wobbled coming down. His father had missed the boar and the weight might have been to much. His father fell to the ground, similar to how Soren had when he came to rescue his friend Syra from possible harm. Wuwu, my ol’ man really lucked out there. That could have been much worse for him, for damn sure. Hey dad, have you ever actually wielded a hammer back at the house? It might be of good make, but the top would still tilt the scales of balance during a swing! At least, that’s what professor Blake said during the physic’s lesson. He also said something about the centripetal force of the swing, but I doubt my ol’ man wants to hear his son rant about physics during a battle.

Soren looked down for a moment to get a look around the tree. Not noticing any shimmer for the moment, Soren returned his gaze back to the battle before him. Give it another swing, this time wait for it to chicken to one side. Then beat that fucker senseless!

209611 | LD: 3 (+0 Mats | 1 Mat found)

————

Word Count : 283

————

Edited by Soren Rider

Theodore steadied himself, watching the boar closely. He wondered what it would take to kill this thing. “Ah dont own any weapons that Ah dont sell.” He explained to Levi as he did his best to keep focus. “Ah mean, Ah know hahw ta’ shoot but Ah have never done any physical combat before… or at least not with a hammer. Ah dont think it really matters all that much though. Perhaps everythin’ is fo-” He was swiftly cut off as the boar gained its bearings and leveled an attack against the old man. Ricocheting off the shield and spirling out in a whirlwind of flame. The shield had erupted into flame upon impact. The golden bird spilling off the shield and inflicting harm upon the sorrowful creature. Teddy did not wonder at the pain that ensorceled the creature. Only giving thanks in the abilities granted to him by the shield. He felt the small amount of harm that went through the shield and armor. Likely some kind of minimum of damage that must be present If you are good enough, you should be able to take no damage in theory. He thought to himself as his hammer came down, though now contact was made. The smoke from the fire making it hard to pinpoint exactly where the strike would land. “Whell that was just not fair” Teddy said in a jokish fashion “You fahndin’ anything good?” He asked Levi, in hope that the mats he was finding were of more worth in his mind than those he had found the other day.

209612 | BD: 2 | MD: 7 (Hit) [12 dmg-14 mit=1 min damage]

[2]Theodore Bell HP 19/20 (-1 after mit) | EN 19/20 | DMG 4 | MIT 14 | THRN 18

Boar 1 | HP: 7/30 (-18 from THRNs)| DMG: 12

-----

Word Count: 263

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell

Soren had told his ol' man to wait for the boar to "play chicken" and avoid making a head on attack before striking with the hammer. However, as his ol' man was replying to him up in the tree, the boar caught him mid-sentence. Unlike the previous attacks, the boar actually made a bullrush attack directly into Teddy. Upon striking, the armor activated and burned the boar for an immense amount of fire damage, as flames licked the beast. Oh fuck, thats sick! I need to get something like... wait, no, I need something that makes me bob in and out of "existence", kind of like the blink dogs I heard Teddy talk about a while back. That way, they won't be able to strike me without the games sick sense of humor... Well Dad, I thought the boar might have ended your fucking life there, not gonna lie. You probably would do best letting the boar strike you another time like that, the flame from your armor really crushed its health bar!

When Teddy asked if Soren had found anything good, Soren looked down from the limb. There, about twenty feet from the tree was another glimmer, a sure sign of another piece of chalk. Yup, fuckin nailing it! Got another about twenty paces from the base of the tree. Gonna hop down there and grab it, finish up the fight soon and I will tell yah which tale I'd like to hear! Soren smirked as he let go of the branch with his legs and snagged a branch, swinging wildly from branch to branch until he reached the last one before the ground. Dropping and walking about nineteen paces, Soren picked up the glimmering piece of chalk. Alright, already found two materials... only about three more before I can return to Landon...

209658 | LD:17 (+1 Mat | 2 Mats found)

-------

Word Count: 304

-------

Edited by Soren Rider

This really was a ride. The feeling of flying through the air. The rush of dopamine on a successful block. It felt as though time itself was bending its will towards them, or maybe it was just the adrenaline. Teddy used the momentum as the boar came rushing past again to throw down the hammer once more. It was unfortunate that he swung too soon. The large hammer hit the ground in front of the boar as it went spinning and tumbling out. A loud cracking noise, as though a statue breaking rang out as the hammer shattered a large rock. Teddy sighed as he prepared for the next attack, hoping this one would be more on target. “Whell, Ah am glad it is doin’ its jhob then. Ah think that it is goin’ to be a bit long with how poor the two of us are doin in this fight. Do ya think there are other things Ah could cause to attack next time? Maybe that pack of wolves over there?”

He smiled at Levi, “Ah am glad one of us is getting the job done, HeHe” He gave that old whistley honking laugh. “Nahw ya got me curious about what you’re gonna request. Ah got a whole bunch, ya know!”

209660 BD: 3 | MD: 1

[2]Theodore Bell HP 19/20 | EN 19/20 | DMG 4 | MIT 14 | THRN 18

Boar 1 | HP: 7/30 | DMG: 12

-----

Word Count: 212

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell

The small piece of partially split chalk was an interesting material. Soren tried, upon thinking of its texture in the real world, to rub the chalk between both hands. He suspected, if the game creator had put enough coding into the game, it would rub into dust. However, as Soren clasped both hands together and alternated moving each forward and back, felt the familiar shape remain in his hands. The force of friction, which typically would produce some heat, was not immediately present. This material, at least against his hand, was not easily changeable. 

That fucking game designer built such a complex gaming system, but he wasn’t a god. Clearly, even smart asses like him have their limits. 

Soren turned around to watch the combat from the ground level. It wasn’t a great viewing point, as his ol’ man was actually kinda big with full plate armor, his weapon, and his shield equipped. Regardless, Soren could still hear his father speaking with a muffle after the boar passed to the side. Soren couldn’t quite see the wolves that his father was referring to as he turned his head in the direction he suspected they would be. Are the wolves you are referring to at about two o’clock my perspective, three o’clock yours? Wait, I am a fucking idiot, I would stand the best chance of finding those wolves if I climb back up the tree and search for them, just like with the materials… 

Soren climbed the tree, his arms grabbing one tree limb, pulling up and snatching the next in a fluid motion. When one arm recoiled, the other snapped forward to instigate and speedy upward ascent. As he neared the leading tree limb, Soren snapped his left hand out to the left and peered off toward the horizon. There were several batches of boar herds scavenging the plains. The wolves did not immediately attract the attention of Soren’s eyes, nor did searching for mats at that distance. 

209683 | LD:3 (+0 mats | 2 Mats Found)

-------

Word Count: 329

-------

Edited by Soren Rider

Teddy smiled at the scene in front of him. He could feel the breeze, the warm sun on his skin. His thoughts wandered to how these games operate. He wondered how one could create such realistic things. It was not as though he was actually feeling these things, right? 

It occurred to Teddy that he had no idea what was going on with his body in the real world. Levi was in the game, and Teddy lived alone I wonder if anyone found me. If they took me somewhere safe. Perhaps I should have let Levi put me in that senior living center when he recommended it. But That would be too restrictive. And I am not that old right? Perhaps my thoughts were… or are clouded by the natural need to be more that what I am. They always did say I was ambitious. I wonder if things would have been different if I valued work less and my free time more. Where would I have gone? What would I have seen?

As his thoughts wandered he missed an opportunity to strike the boar. But not all was lost. The old man snapped back to reality as his opponent came around. With a huff the boar shot at him like a cannonball. But that did not last long. The boar made contact with the large shield though the flames did not come. Teddy had no real worries though and in fact was so confident that he kept the shield up to attempt to prevent future attacks as he began to attempt to enter his inventory

He turned to his son. “Aye, Ah think those will suit nicely. Ah should probably top mahself up on the ol’ health. Nah were did Ah put that crystal?”

209684 BD:2 (Miss) | MD: 9 (Crit+1)

[2]Theodore Bell HP 18/20 (-1 after mit) | EN 20/20 | DMG 4 | MIT 14 | THRN 18

-----

Word Count: 295

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell
Fixing thrns on crit

Soren looked down to see his ol' man whiff the swing of the hammer. Although it was a miss, the boar was quick to make an attack, one that would certainly prove fatal. The boar, feeling the immense heat of the phoenix, burned to its death, its health bar reaching red and then dissipating. Soren looked down to his father and shouted Good shit ol' man, you did well! Soren came down the limbs of the tree, swinging from one to the next. Once his feet landed on the ground, Soren brushed off his clothes as if they had gotten dirty from the leaves... then he smiled and gave a thumbs up toward his father. Now, as for what you should tell... I think the solid story of your most badass character from any campaign you have played or dungeon mastered... I want to hear their whole story, who/what they fought, what dire events they experienced, life, death, all of it. 

209686 | LD:6 (+0 Mats | 2 Mats Found)

-------

Word Count: 162

-------

Edited by Soren Rider

Teddy took a deep breath as he fumbled, opening and then accidentally immediately closing the menus. He could feel himself sweating harder doing this than he did fighting that boar. He finally found it though, after much struggling. He clicked inventory and then, slowly he found his way to the thing he was looking for. He tapped Eleanór a Rún, and hit us. He was surrounded by a wave of sound, a beautiful song overtaking him. He smiled, the tones were pleasant and soft. He didn’t Understand the music necessarily. Which he found strange. Didn't Zenshu say this game was supposed to translate the music? I think this is an old irish song though, Right? My buddy Sean used to hum it while we were working. He smiled as his health bar raised back to full, it was a shame that he was missing out on some of the healing but figured it was worth the risk. 

“Whell, Ah think its about tahme Ah took a risk, eh?” The old man smiled as he approached the pack of wolves. Almost forgetting that he was being attacked by the boar, though it didn't matter to him much anyways. The boar was watching him though, It ran past as he smiled, not hitting him.

Once he heard what Levi wanted he smiled, beaming like the sun. “Ah whell that is a tale. A tale indeed. Ah think Ah mahght have just what y’all is looking for!”

________

209700 MD:2 (Miss)

Theodore Bell HP 20/20 (+3 from song) | EN 20/20 | DMG 4 | MIT 14 | THRN 18

-(T1)Eleanór a Rún Support Song [HP Recovery] | Perfect | 208990

-----

word count: 244

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell
Fixing post

It was still early morning, the battle between his father and the single, small boar, was pretty quick in actual time. That being said, the time it took for his ol' man to open the menu and bring forth a healing crystal was quite time consuming. During the time which his ol' man was trying to figure out the menu and locate the crystal, Soren turned to the tree once again. Grasping both his hands around the lowest limb, Soren pulled his body until his chest was over the limb. Once there, he used momentum of the physics of gravity, which seemed to still apply, to swing down, his legs coming up and balancing him on the branch, both feet planted. He had watched gymnastics on occasion as he would build computers in college, so now he could apply his own tree climbing skills with those of which he had watched on tv. For a first time, it wasn't half bad. Shit, that took more energy than I thought. Those girls always look like swinging from poles and gymnastic objects are easy but damn, that shit ain't a walk in the park. Soren unplanted his feet on the branch and moved forward, looking for another mat from much closer to the ground. Sure enough, almost directly under his dad's food, Soren saw a piece of chalk. Soren leapt off the branch, grabbing it as he fell past and swung with all his might out toward his father. landing a few paces away, he leaned forward and picked up the glimmering piece of chalk. Well fuck, I guess that makes three pieces of chalk found... only a few more to go before I have enough for Landon and it isn't even mid-day yet!

209687 | LD:15 (+1 Mat | 3 Mats Found) 

-------

Word Count: 292

-------

Edited by Soren Rider

Teddy smiled at Levi. “Whell, color me impressed. You are doin’ far better then the other day! Perhaps that practice was all ya needed!” 

He continued his walk to the pack. Lets see, looks like 6 of them. I should be able to take them thanks to this fancy shield. I guess we will see. In a fast but firm motion, Teddy slung the kite shield in front of him, and began the charge. He watched as the health bars appeared over the head of the pack. He swung, the hammer racing through the air as though it was that of a blacksmith on iron. Though it found no purchase, not all was lost though. The ol’ man lost the attack for the same reason he was succeeding. As he was hit, he was wreathed in flame, the fiery bird of myth practically peeling off the shield to offer its protection. And, like the phoenix, Teddy still stood.

He turned to Levi. “Hey did ya see that?” He could not hold back the excitement in his face from the scene. He really felt alive. 

The thought crossed his mind, even in the throws of combat. Oh right Levi wanted me to tell him a tale, Lets see…

“Ah think the most badass character Ah have ever played was Kyrial. Did Ah ever tell you bout her? Catfolk woman, the sneaky type. Loved her poisons, Ah tell you she was quite good at what she did… Though Ah guess Ah made her that way, Eh?”

Wolf 1 & Teddy 209690 BD:3 | MD: 5+3=8 (Hit) <proc thrns>

Wolf 2 209691 MD: 7+3=10 (Hit) <proc thrns>

Wolf 3 209692 MD: 2+3=5 (Miss)

Wolf 4 209693 MD: 9 (Crit+1)

Wolf 5 209694 MD: 7+3=10 (Hit) <proc thrns>

Wolf 6 209695 MD: 10 (Crit+2)

Boar 209701 MD:6 (Hit) <proc thrns>

Theodore Bell HP 14/20 (-6 after mit) | EN 20/20 | DMG 4 | MIT 14 | THRN 18

Wolf 1 | 32/50 HP (-18 THRNS) | 12 DMG | 3 Acc

Wolf 2 | 32/50 HP (-18THRNS)| 12 DMG | 3 Acc

Wolf 3 | 50/50 HP | 12 DMG | 3 Acc

Wolf 4 | 50/50 HP | 12 DMG | 3 Acc

Wolf 5 | 32/50 HP (-18 THRNS)| 12 DMG | 3 Acc

Wolf 6 | 50/50 HP | 12 DMG | 3 Acc

Boar 1 | 0/30 HP (-18 THRNS)| 12 DMG

Loot (Was rolled early due to a misunderstanding. Subsequent loot rolls will be after combat ends):

Spoiler

Boar 1

209685 LD:4+1(Consumable)=5 (No extra Loot) | CD:12

-------

90 Col (Base)

60 Col (LD)

60 Col (CD)

-----

word count: 254

-----

Edited by Theodore Bell