[F02/SP] The Cavernous Adventure | <<Let There Be Light>>

Urbus was, as usual, filled with the movements of NPCs. Zenshu wondered at the limited quantity of players – there were some to see, here and there, but far fewer than he’d have expected for the time of day. His eyes roamed the area, taking in the people around him. He recognised a few players, giving smiles, nods, and even a few passed words of greeting before moving on. He had known that there’d been a movement of players towards the front lines, towards where the action was. It was still surprising to see how few could be found on the lower floors now, how barren many of them felt.

“I should be seeing this as a good thing, though. It means everyone’s making headway towards our final goal! Which is what we want, after all…that’s how we’re going to get free of this place!” His eyes passed over the area once more, taking in the general feel, the almost hollow, empty essence that seemed to surround him. “Still, for a main settlement, this place feels…cold, lonely.”

“At least I don’t need to fight the crowds here, though!” His joyous expression returned as he continued talking to himself, moving through the streets with relative ease. He’d had a single purpose in attending the floor, and he hoped that the shop wasn’t empty or closed yet.

“Pl-please…I’ve been trying to find someone to help me all day. My child—” Zenshu’s head turned slowly to look at a middle aged woman, tears pouring down her face as she seemed to plead with Zenshu’s form, as if unaware that until a brief moment ago he’d been entirely unaware of her presence at all.

“Child? Did you say something about your child? Have they been kidnapped, or hurt?” He’d stopped moving as he answered the woman, wondering what exactly she was expecting him to do – although not at all concerned with the fact that he had somehow just pulled himself into a quest through pure accident. He waited patiently as the woman continued speaking, explaining her dilemma to him through a continuous pouring of tears, broken words, and jumbled confusion that he had to work to decipher.

------

Word Count: 363

------

Spoiler

Zenshu | Lv. 10 | HP: 200/200 | EN: 38/38 | DMG: 8 | LD: 5 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 12 | Regen: 2 | Risky: 1 DMG | Stealth Detect: +1

Tier 1

Equipped Items

Ninjato  [Tier 1; One-Handed Straight Sword; Uncommon] A simple black, single edged ninjato.
Enhancement: Damage [1 Slot] | Effect: +(1 * Tier) base damage per slot.

Light Blue Samue [Tier 1 Clothing; Perfect] A simple light blue samue, well crafted and loose fitting. This piece appears to be in a traditional fashion, and contains wide cuffs.
Enhancement: Loot Die [3 Slots] | Effect: Gain +(1 per slot) to the LD.

Light Blue Haori [Tier 1 Cloth Armour; Perfect] A simple light blue haori, long enough to hang around the knees, but light enough to not be overbearing.
Enhancement: Evasion [1 Slot] | Effect: Reduces the die value by (1 per slot) on an enemy’s attack against you. Cannot be used to avoid a critical hit.
Enhancement: Regen [1 Slot] | Effect: After taking damage, gain Regen at the beginning of your next turn. Heal (2% per slot of your total health) every turn for three rounds. Damage over time effects (Bleed, Poison) will not trigger Regen. Does not stack with Battle Healing. Taking damage while Regen is active will refresh it to its full duration.
Enhancement: Risky [1 Slot] | Effect: When you take damage, gain +(1 per slot * Tier) base damage until your next successful attack, at which point this bonus is removed. Taking damage again will refresh this enhancement. Must be using the Cloth Armor Skill for this enhancement to take effect.

Fox Head Necklace [Vanity]

Battle-Ready Inventory

Starter Healing Potions {5} | Heals 50 HP
T1 Uncommon Health Potion {1} | HP Recovery I
T1 Uncommon Damage Potion {1} | Damage I
T1 Uncommon Overhealth Potions {1} | Overhealth I
T1 Rare Health Potion | HP Recovery II

Inventory

Shadow [Tier 2; One-Handed Straight Sword; Perfect] A shorter ninjato, this single edge blade is entirely black from the string wrappings on the hilt, to the tip of the blade itself.
Enhancement: Damage [1 Slot] | Effect: +(1 * Tier) base damage per slot.
Enhancement: Accuracy [2 Slots] | Effect: Gain +(1 per slot) to the BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit.
Arrowhead Brooch | ACC III
Big Bertha Barnacle {1} | Unique Consumable (Meal) | A fishy entree that restores +2 additional EN each turn in combat for one thread.

Sword Arts

[x8] ST-I (8 EN) | A single-target sword art.
[x11]
ST-II (11 EN) | A powerful single-target sword art. Only available for use when ST-I was used and successfully struck an enemy the previous turn or if ST-II had been used and had missed the previous turn.
[x3] AOE-I (1 + 2 * targets EN) | AOE | A sword art that strikes multiple targets at once.
[x4] TECH-A (5 EN) | STUN | A single-target sword art that stuns an enemy.

Weapon Skills

Straight Sword
Rank 3
Passive
Effect: +5 DMG

Armour Skills

Cloth Armour
Rank 3
Passive
Effect: +12 MIT

[Rank 3 Cloth Armor Mod] Athletics
Effect: Gain +1base Damage.

Utility Skills

Searching
Rank 3
Passive
Effect: +1 LD per rank. +1 to Stealth Detection per rank.

[Rank 2 Searching Mod] Night Vision
Passive
Effect: Ignores any penalties from low light or darkness. Negates the bonus Stealth Rating from low light or darkness.

“She-- she was playing in one of the caverns in the mountains with her friend. I-I told her not to go but she didn't listen to me!” The woman continued her story, Zenshu nodding as she spoke. He didn’t want to interrupt her, partially due to his mannerisms but also because he felt like he may miss key details if he did so. Yet a part of him was becoming impatient, he’d gained a bit of information through her continued vocalisation of the situation, but not where the child had disappeared to, exactly.

“Do you happen to know where abouts she was last seen? Perhaps an area that she normally likes to play, or someone having spotted her? It could really help with finding her, making it much easier to track.” He wasn’t even sure if in her condition she’d hear his prompts, let alone respond to them. Still, without asking, there was no answer. The woman seemed to continue talking, and for a time Zenshu wondered if his basic question would be ignored, after all.

“Her friend came back to me just this moment a-and said that they were attacked by monsters! T-the beast is still in there with her, please, I don't know how long my Koko can last in a place like that!” Zenshu’s head snapped up at the mention of monsters, and the friend having returned. Finally, he was getting somewhere with his investigation – somewhere that would help him complete the quest, at least.

“Monsters? And you said…Koko’s?...friend just returned. Did she say where exactly they were?” He listened as the woman provided him further insight into the situation, describing the area, and what the friend had informed the distraught mother. Finally, with everything he needed, he gave the woman a soft smile. “I’ll take a look and see if I can bring her back safely for you. It shouldn’t take too long, but don’t fret too much if I’m not immediately back!”

-----

Word Count: 327

“R-really? Thank you! Thank you so much, you have no idea how grateful I am,” The seemed almost genuinely surprised that Zenshu was willing to help her, her facial expressions shifting from sadness and concern to surprised joy almost immediately. He wondered how many times the program had run through this simulation, before deciding he would just compliment it on the abilities to display so perfectly. “Your e-efforts won't go to waste, I swear! I'll have something for you when you get back, I-I promise!”

“I’ll just be happy to be able to get her home safely. Although, I’m sure the rewards will be more than enough, no matter what they are!” He added the last part just in case, not wanting to miss out on something by the system somehow assuming that he was turning down the rewards. He’d never heard of that occurring, but with an artificial intelligence running everything one could never be too careful.

Once he’d assured the woman enough, Zenshu made his way towards the exit of the settlement. He had directions, he had a purpose, and he was certain that he’d be able to do something to try and find the girl. He didn’t bother glancing back, sure that the NPC mother was already moving on to the next player who was eligible to start the quest.

“Sometimes this system really nails the reality, but with all things computerised…well, it has its limitations too. I guess this is just one of those things it can’t overcome…” He shook his head, smiling in response. He had to admit that Cardinal was impressive in many means – it was able to react to the players, to change the game, the NPCs, even the very base systems. It did, however, still have limitations – and things like quest givers was one of those. No matter how real everything seemed, there was always something here to remind them that they were, in fact, still trapped within a game. A game with no escape, except fighting on. “And so we continue to fight, because that’s the only option we have…”

------

Word Count: 349

The fields beyond the main town were scattered with monsters, and the few players who still found themselves struggling to level themselves up beyond the lowest of levels. Players similar to himself. He smiled as he considered it – although many had moved on, there were still some to be found here in the lower levels, working to catch up to the others, trying desperately to become more engaged, more giving to those who had rushed to the front to fight.

“We’re all going to get there, some day. It just takes us a bit of time, but you’ll see…we’ll be there, beside you, soon enough.” He gave a nod to the few bodies he could see out in the open areas, before moving on. He doubted any had even taken notice of him, yet it felt wrong not to acknowledge their presence, their fight.

The walk towards the destination he’d been presented was further than Zenshu had expected it to be – he could see the mountain in the distance, but the cave itself was still hidden from view. He kept his eyes out for any danger as he went, wanting to avoid conflict before he arrived at the cave if he could. He knew he’d be fighting soon enough, but there was no reason to tire himself out needlessly.

“Better to be refreshed, as much as possible, for when it actually counts.” He spoke aloud to himself even as he continued looking around. His feet crunched on the gravel beneath his boots. It was nice to get out of the settlement a bit, to see the natural world – or the natural, digital world – that Aincrad had to offer. Even if it was fake, there was still something calming about it.

“Perhaps we’ve been here for far too long already…” Zenshu shook his head as he once again considered how normal all of this was quickly becoming. As if this was now their reality, rather than the world beyond the game. He knew he couldn’t allow that to become true, else escape would become that much more difficult. “When you spend this much time in something, though, it’s not a surprise that you get so used to it…”

------

Word Count: 367

The entrance was about what Zenshu had expected – a dark hole within the wall of the mountain. He blinked, activating his newest searching mod before taking a single step closer to the entrance. The mod allowed him to see within the darkness almost as if there was a dim light, casting about and allowing the general shapes and features to be visible where they were once entirely obscured.

Within the cavern, he could see the movement of numerous flying creatures – likely birds, or bats of some sort – all moving about in response to his arrival. Zenshu knew that he’d likely have to fight them off in order to make his way through the cave, something that he had expected from the moment monsters had been mentioned.

“At least it’s only some measly birds, or bats…it could be a lot worse! Imagine having to fight some sort of giant, or wormlike creature…that would be truly difficult. This is just some lousy bats!” He grinned to himself as he summoned and drew his ninjato, before stepping into the cave itself. He walked forward, readying himself for the assault he knew was likely to come, but knowing that he couldn’t wait at the edge forever. “I’m not going to find that missing girl by waiting outside all day. Only thing to do is head in, and search the cave for her! Then I’ll get her reunited with her mother!”

His words echoed softly against the cavern walls, bouncing back towards his ears in an almost indistinguishable way. It was still unnerving, even though he knew what was happening. His eyes gazed about, catching sight of one of the flying creatures changing direction and heading for Zenshu.

“Alright, let’s get this started then. You’re up first, I guess!” He shifted his weight slightly in preparation to meet the creature, waiting as it crossed the distance towards him. He doubted the fight would take very long, but he wasn’t going to take it lightly either – if he’d learnt anything in his time in Aincrad, it was that even the simplest of fights could be deadly if you got complacent.

-----

Word Count: 354

The creature veered to the left as it approached, clearly trying to wrap around and slam into Zenshu from the side. He was prepared however, spinning on his heel and ducking underneath. He lashed out with his blade, but barely missed the creature as it shifted upwards on an unseen draft.

This will be a bit more difficult than I expected, perhaps. At least I can see the thing, though… He wondered at his pure luck in taking the Night Vision upgrade when he’d been choosing his most recent level up perks. It had been pure coincidence, but was coming in handy here. The things you can gain, without knowing…

He turned his attention back to the fight as the bat – he could see it clearly now, this close up – came whirling towards him again. The mouth opened to reveal a set of fangs, reminding Zenshu of the vampires in folklore. He doubted that this thing would be transforming into a humanoid any time soon. That would be far too unlikely, at least on this floor of the world.

Ducking again, he rolled slightly to his right before slashing upwards and towards where the path of the bat had been taking his opponent, hoping to land a strike as it sailed by him.

-----

Zenshu | Lv. 10 | HP: 175/200 | EN: 36/38 | DMG: 9 (8+1) | LD: 5 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 12 | Regen: 2 | Risky: 1 DMG | Stealth Detect: +1

Giant Bat | HP: 75/75 | DMG: 35

Round One
ID209761 | BD: 4 | <<ST-I vs. Giant Bat>> | Miss [-2 EN]
ID209761 | MOB: 10 | <<Giant Bat vs. Zenshu>> | Major Critical Hit: 35+2 DMG [Risky]

-----

Word Count: 213

The bat wasn’t where Zenshu had expected it to be. That was the first thought he’d had. Just as suddenly, he’d felt something slam into his back and pierce the side of his neck, his health bar suddenly depleting as he realised the creature had managed to shift around and attach to his side.

Reaching up and pulling the teeth out, he tossed the creature away, his free hand rising to check the wound before realising there was no point in doing so. Cursing himself, and the bat, he did the one thing that he could still do.

Fine, you get the first hit, but I’ll make sure to get the last! I’ve still got a girl to save, and you’re in my way of doing that! Rushing forwards, he pressed his attack against the bat, hoping to catch it in a flurry of blows as he pushed it further and further into the cave. The creature had no choice but to fall back under the overwhelming assault of Zenshu, and he worried for a moment that he would once again provide it the opportunity to slip under his guard.

Don’t hesitate, just keep going! Defeat it through sheer will, if you need to! He pushed aside the concern, knowing that there was only so much that he could do now anyways. Continuing forward, he tried to completely overwhelm the creature, hoping to end the fight as soon as possible.

-----

Zenshu | Lv. 10 | HP: 152/200 [+2 Regen] | EN: 29/38 | DMG: 9 (8+1) | LD: 5 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 12 | Regen: 2 | Risky: 1 DMG | Stealth Detect: +1

Giant Bat | HP: 3/75 | DMG: 35

Round Two
ID209762 | BD: 6 | <<ST-I vs. Giant Bat>> | Hit: 9*8 = 72 DMG 
ID209762 | MOB: 8-1=7 | <<Giant Bat vs. Zenshu>> | 35 DMG [Risky]

-----

Word Count: 240

He felt his blade slice across the creature’s body, causing a large dip in its own health bar, even as the wing of the creature slashed across Zenshu’s own face – causing another slight dip in his own health. He could see that the creature was close to being defeated, a few measly health points still standing between it and utter destruction.

Almost got it finished here! Just a few more quick strikes, and I’ll be done. Then I can go on looking for Koko…she must be around here somewhere, I hope. He dodged a few more minor attack attempts from the bat, before putting some distance between himself and it. He knew that the fight itself was almost over, and that he simply needed to get a single decent hit in to finish it off entirely, but he wasn’t willing to take any dangerous chances – even if it seemed like an easy victory here.

Setting his feet, he waited a breath before lunging forward, aiming for the centre of the bat. He hoped that his single strike would finish everything, and that he could then return to the search. He didn’t want to focus too long on fighting these creatures, until he was sure he’d found the missing girl.

-----

Zenshu | Lv. 10 | HP: 154/200 [+2 Regen] | EN: 30/38 | DMG: 9 (8+1) | LD: 5 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 12 | Regen: 2 | Risky: 1 DMG | Stealth Detect: +1

Giant Bat | HP: 0/75 | DMG: 35

Round Three
ID209763 | BD: 9 | <<Basic Attack vs. Giant Bat>> | Minor Critical Hit: 9+1 = 10 DMG | Giant Bat is defeated.

-----

Word Count: 209

The giant bat exploded into thousands of shards, and almost as quickly as the entire fight had started – it was over. Zenshu took a moment to catch his breath, the sudden silence that always occurred after the hecticness of combat seeming to almost overwhelm his senses. He knew it was nothing more than the adrenaline leaving his system, returning his body to normal after being in a heightened state. Nevertheless, he couldn’t help but marvel at how it felt, oddly off putting and normal, all at the same time.

Glancing around, he wondered where to even start looking for the girl. The pathway continued inwards, bending around a corner slightly and out of sight. He wasn’t entirely sure how to look for the tracks of an NPC – if he even could – and with nothing else to go on, he simply decided to start following the pathway deeper into the cave.

“If it stays with this single, linear path, then I’m bound to come across her at some point! Assuming that she’s in here, that is…” He traced a hand along the wall as he went, keeping an eye out for any sign of the missing girl, or anything in the cave that would lead him towards her eventual rescue. “I’m sure her mother will be happy once I bring her home. Even if they are NPCs, she seemed really distraught.”

He peered ahead as he went, keeping a close eye for any more bats, or other creatures that might be lurking in the dark. He wasn’t going to be caught off guard by anything else, even if it meant slowing down his search a little bit. There’s no benefit to finding the girl, if all I do is attract every single creature in the caves to her location…better to be safe, and avoid confrontation entirely. Or defeat anything that comes near me as I go.

ID209764 | LD: 17+5=22 | Searching for Koko | Success

------

Word Count: 315

He’d almost missed the shifting form of the girl when he first passed by the outcropping in the wall. He’d caught it out of the corner of his eye, just as he’d been turning away. Slowly, careful not to spook the shape, he lowered himself down and smiled – doubtful that she could see him, but knowing that it made his general tone and appearance less frightening. Or so he hoped.

“Hey, you must be Koko…your mother sent me to find you. She said that you’d disappeared into the caves, and that your friend had come back and said you’d been attacked by monsters! That must’ve been really scary, but I’m here to help you get home now, okay?” He waited a moment as the girl seemed to shrink into herself – more likely startled by the sound of his voice suddenly in the dark, than by anything he’d said. After a few breaths, she seemed to realise what was happening, what he’d said, and she slowly began to uncurl herself.

“You’re going to…take me home?” The voice was childlike, as far as Zenshu could tell. Something about it reminded him of one of his cousins, many years younger than himself. He had to shake his head, to get the image out of his mind. Now was a time to focus, not reminisce.

“That’s right! I’m here to help you get back home, okay?” He waited for the small jerk of a nod, before continuing. He reached out as he spoke, careful not to prod her before she was ready. “Alright…can you see me at all? No? That’s okay…I’m going to take your hand, to lead you out of here okay? I can see in here, thanks to my good eyes…so I’ll make sure we get out safely!”

Although obviously unsure, the girl seemed to take comfort in his guidance, letting him take her hand and guide her out of the outcropping. Zenshu looked around once more, before leading the girl back the way he had come.

------

Word Count: 335

He’d found the girl, easy enough. At least, he assumed it had been easy – there was little difficulty in coming across the small outcropping she’d been hiding in. Small difficulty in convincing her to come home with him, and being able to begin leading her. Where the difficulty had started was on the return to that home. Zenshu felt like he’d begun walking in circles, swearing to himself that it hadn’t taken anywhere near this long to find the girl, that he’d followed a relatively straight path to her.

“We’re almost at the exit, I think!” He exclaimed for yet another time, trying to keep the girl’s hopes up – if she had any at all. He pondered whom he was trying to convince in reality, the girl or himself. I swear we should be there by now…by a while ago, in fact. I should’ve kept better track of how long it took me to find her, and the exact directions! I’d have sworn I already saw that outcropping twice now…

He didn’t let his frustration show, continuing to talk in a cheery voice, and playing games with the girl as he led her further and further along the path. He doubted the NPC would react to it anyways, but again he couldn’t be sure. Shaking away his doubts, he moved his feet forward, knowing that eventually they’d come out somewhere.

-----

Word Count: 230

Another curve, and they’d passed another point that Zenshu could’ve sworn they’d already passed a number of times. Silently cursing himself, he glanced down at the girl at his side. She’d been following him along without any complaint, responding to his prodding commentary once in a while – the typical way that NPCs did – but otherwise content just to be led.

“I think we’re getting close, now!” Zenshu said as he led the girl onwards. A slight shimmering, almost as if sunlight bouncing off rocks, had caught his attention ahead of them. He couldn’t be entirely sure, but he was hoping it would be the exit to this maze of tunnels. “Not long now and we’ll be out of here, and on our way back home! That sound good?”

The girl nodded at his question, but otherwise remained silent. He couldn’t blame her. It felt like they’d been walking for hours, now. Even he was getting fairly tired, and finding it troublesome to keep up high spirits. I do hope that we’re out of here shortly, otherwise keeping us both happy will become…troublesome. Besides, I’d prefer not to die in a dark cave, with nobody but a lovely little NPC girl to mark my passing…

A shimmer of movement caught his attention, and Zenshu pulled himself to a sudden stop – halting Koko alongside him as well. She had just begun to say something when Zenshu hissed her quiet, his eyes darting along the tunnel, trying to find what had caught his attention.

------

Word Count: 251

The swooping sound reached Zenshu’s ears just as his eyes caught sight of the creature hugging the roof of the tunnel. Ducking, he barely avoided the extended talons that had attempted to rake along his face. Pulling Koko to the side, he settled her in against the wall, smiling – even though she couldn’t see him – before speaking to her quickly.

“Alright, there’s one big bad creature here that I need to defeat before we can go home. Can you do me a favour and stay right here while I get rid of it? Then we can head home and get you reunited with your mommy, okay?” The girl gave a whimper of agreement, the best that Zenshu could possibly hope for in the situation. Nodding, more to himself than to her response, he turned and drew his ninjato, flipping it around and into the reverse grip – careful not to hit Koko with it.

Stepping out into the centre of the tunnel, he watched and waited for the giant bat to return, eyeing the area it had disappeared to. His waiting didn’t last long, as the thing swooped forwards toward him, talons extended once more.

“Alright, Koko, one quick hit and we’re out of here!” He called out, both to the girl and the bat – trying to draw its attention entirely on him. Ducking underneath the path of the bat, he swung upwards, hoping to slide across the weakened side of the creature with his blade.

------

Zenshu | Lv. 10 | HP: 177/200 | EN: 36/38 | DMG: 9 (8+1) | LD: 5 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 12 | Regen: 2 | Risky: 1 DMG | Stealth Detect: +1

Giant Bat | HP: 75/75 | DMG: 35

Round One
ID209782 | BD: 4 | <<ST-I vs. Giant Bat>> | Miss [-2 EN]
ID209782 | MOB: 7 | <<Giant Bat vs. Zenshu>> | Hit: 35-12 = 23 DMG [Risky]

------

Word Count: 245

The giant bat did almost what Zenshu expected – flying straight towards him at the last second, before suddenly dropping towards him. What he hadn’t expected was for his opponent to roll over on its side, and swing outwards at him with a wing – slamming into his face and causing him to spin away, his blade clattering harmlessly off the rock wall beside him.

Cursing slightly, Zenshu found his footing again before charging towards the giant bat. The creature had crippled its own escape route while striking Zenshu, and he had no plans to allow the thing the chance to escape. Sliding across the floor, he swung upwards with his blade, forcing the creature back towards the wall and away from any avenue that would allow it to easily outmaneuver him.

“Almost…done…here…just a few more minutes and I should have this thing all….cleared away!” Zenshu called out as he dodged, ducked and rolled away from the bat – which had suddenly gone on the offensive, forcing him to work to drive it back. He slashed again with his ninjato, aiming for the centre of the giant creature’s body as he worked to land just one, solid strike on it.

“I am so going to enjoy ending you, here and now…” He whispered to the creature as it attempted to leave his short ranged area. Driving forwards he pressed his attack, a flurry of strikes with the intention of opening the bat’s defenses, allowing just a single hit to land.

------

Zenshu | Lv. 10 | HP: 179/200 [+2 Regen] | EN: 37/38 | DMG: 9 (8+1) | LD: 5 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 12 | Regen: 2 | Risky: 1 DMG | Stealth Detect: +1

Giant Bat | HP: 0/75 | DMG: 35

Round Two
ID209785 | BD: 9 | <<ST-I vs. Giant Bat>> | Minor Critical Hit: (9+1)x8 = 80 DMG | Giant Bat is defeated!

------

Word Count: 247

The explosion of shards lit up the small tunnel briefly as the bat disappeared from sight. A quick side glance confirmed that Koko was still huddled into the small nook that Zenshu had left her in, safely tucked away from any sort of dangers that might have followed the single bat towards their current position.

Zenshu paused for a moment, letting his eyes wander around the tunnel, and his ears perked, trying to determine if any further threats were waiting for them in the darkness. After a few breaths, he felt himself relax slightly, as certain as he could be that their immediate danger was over.

“Shall we get out of here, now?” Zenshu turned to Koko with a smile, remembering belatedly that she likely couldn’t see him. Trying to comfort her as best he could, he reached out carefully, knocking on the wall as he went so that she could hear his approach, and continuing to speak in order to provide her the knowledge that he was there. “Here, I think I can see the entrance, or exit rather, of the cave just up ahead. We should be out of here in no time! And then it’s just a quick walk back towards the town, and we can reunite you! Does that sound okay?”

Almost frantically, Koko grasped his hand, pulling herself closer to him. A brief moment of surprise, before Zenshu simply led them towards the glimmer that signalled their exit from the cave, continuing to talk in a reassuring voice as they made their way out of the darkness, and back into the normal daylight.

-----

Word Count: 268

The bright sunlight had seemed to reinvigorate the young girl, her demeanor changing as soon as they had left the darkness of the cave behind. Zenshu had assumed that with it, the fear had been left as well – thus causing the girl to become more childlike in her behaviour. She had begun skipping as they walked, her words suddenly gaining vigor, and her answers shifting to short, condensed responses, to actual childlike questions.

She’d begun to roam further and further away from Zenshu’s side – not so far as to concern him, still close enough that he could rush forward should anything approach them – seeming to enjoy the walk as she picked out the different flowers, and rocks, and clouds, and anything else that seemed interesting in the moment.

Koko had just pointed out yet another interesting cloud – this one in the shape of a dragon, or so she’d told him – when Zenshu spotted the outline of the small town in the distance. He had nodded towards it, watching the girl’s eyes shift over, then light up as she realised they were almost back. He’d watched with humour as the girl had rushed forward – stopping as soon as she realised she was a bit too far away for safety’s sake, but clearly anxious to return to the safety of the town’s walls.

Deciding not to torment the girl, Zenshu picked up his own pace – a part of him enthusiastic about getting back as well, if only to be done with this quest. He did admit, though, that deep down he would be a bit sad at its conclusion – he had been enjoying the company of Koko for the last little bit.

-----

Word Count: 280

The town had been much the same as when Zenshu had first left to go find the missing girl. Players and NPCs moved throughout the fairly open streets, the throngs of people condensed only due to the pre-determined paths that the NPCs were required to take.

As Koko made her way through the streets, Zenshu following along closely behind – determined not to lose her now, that he was so close to completing the quest. The two were forced to swerve between small groups of people as they pushed further into the town, Koko calling out for her mother, and Zenshu keeping his eyes open for the woman who had first approached them.

They had finally found the woman in a central square, speaking with another player in order to activate the quest. Zenshu had managed to keep the NPC from rushing forwards, only by diverting her attention momentarily towards another point. He wasn’t sure that their appearance would cause problems for the other player, but he hadn’t wanted to take the risk – besides, it would be discouraging for himself if another was to show up and complete the quest, just as he was beginning it.

Although I guess it would make you realise that it is something that can be completed, if you see someone else do it…He shook his head to clear away the thought, turning his attention back to Koko. With a smile he nodded towards the woman he had spied, pointing Koko in the direction. “I think I see her over there, should we go check, just to make sure?”

-----

Word Count: 263

Zenshu held back a couple of steps as Koko rushed forwards towards her mother, wanting to give the two NPCs a moment of connection. He watched with a smile as the girl leaped into her mother’s arms, both individuals crying at the sudden reconnection that had occurred.

“I'm sorry, Mama!” Zenshu turned his head away as the two shared a few moments of conversation, Koko apologising for her disappearance, and her mother seemingly only happy to have her daughter returned to her. He didn’t want to intrude, and so was caught off guard when the woman suddenly spoke to him, forcing his attention back to the pair.

“Thank you... I cannot even explain how grateful I am to you. I am forever in your debt, both me and Koko are. I know it's not much, but please, take it, it's some money I scraped together... and a little something extra.” Zenshu watched as the items were held out, taking them with some reluctance. He knew that it was likely not really the only money the NPC had – the system would ensure that, yet somehow it felt wrong to him. “Again, thank you for saving her. I have no idea what I would do if Koko was harmed... and speaking of Koko, what do we say?”

Zenshu smiled once more as the girl gave her thanks, bowing slightly towards the two of them before taking his leave. He quickly stored away the col and item – something called a glow stone – before making his way towards the teleporter, and home.

-----

Word Count: 258

He’d stopped momentarily in the main court of the second floor, listening to a collection of players arguing about something related to the frontlines. He’d heard conversation about rumours, and things that he hadn’t entirely understood – scouting for the new labyrinth, alongside quests that would gain them information for fighting the boss. He’d made a mental note to follow up with it, once he was closer to being involved with the frontlines a bit more.

“It’s good to be back.” He spoke the simple words as he re-entered his small tailor shop, Kagay at his feet making a small chirping sound of agreement. The fox had followed him dutifully through the caves, keeping aside when required, but otherwise there as an invisible support. Smiling at his companion, he reached down and ran a hand along the small creature’s spine, feeling the soft fur beneath his fingers.

“What do you say we get something to eat, then focus on some pressing work that needs to be done?” Zenshu said, his eyes catching sight of the collection of order forms that had been left in the drop-box he had installed for when he was away. Kagay gave another quick chirp of agreement, before racing towards the back room, clearly aware of where the food was being kept.

Stifling a small laugh, Zenshu took a moment to look around his quiet shop, revelling in it, before making his way after Kagay. He knew that it was somewhat lonely here, yet somehow the quiet was also welcoming – as if all his time alone in the game had somehow changed him. He still enjoyed the company of others, thrived in it, yet…he could also find solace in the quiet, lonely atmosphere of floor ten.

------

Word Count: 289

The meal had been quick – more a collection of snacks, compiled into what equated to a meal’s worth of food. Zenshu had given much of it to Kagay, nibbling away at small bits as he looked over the order forms that had been dropped into his drop box. Most seemed simple enough, a couple that would require his utmost attention and skill – things that he figured he’d leave for slightly later, just to ensure the highest possible quality.

Once they had finished their food, Zenshu had made his way back into the main work area, setting up and beginning the tedious, yet enjoyable sewing that he had begun to partake in as part of his tailoring experience. He’d quickly found himself lost in the work, looking up to find the time had passed unnoticed.

His distraction had come in the form of an alert, a new quest that had become available. One that would allow him to make better use out of his friend. He smiled towards Kagay, wondering what the fox would think of a training regime. He doubted the little critter would mind – it seemed happy to serve, in many ways.

“Something for another day, though. I think for today, I need to rest a bit…it’s been quite busy already…” Zenshu stood, stretching as he glanced over what he had completed. He was happy with how most of it was turning out, although he could already see things that could be perfected. It was a long way from when he had started however. As his eyes glanced over one small set of clothing, his mind suddenly brought Koko to mind – the happiness she had displayed at seeing her mother once more. The image brought a smile to his face, and as he made his way towards the small cot he had set up in the back room to rest in, he couldn’t help but wonder if he’d done some good here, after all. He ended up falling asleep to those thoughts, considering the good and bad that had happened here, and trying to figure out where he fell into it all.

-----

Word Count: 353

Thread Summary

Zenshu

Word Count: 5,756

EXP: 5,756 / 10 = 575 [Thread Progression] + 500 [Quest] = 1,075 EXP
Col: 400 [Thread Progression] + 50 (25x2; ID209790) = 450 col
Glow Stone (1)