[SP-F1] Earning A Living (First Run)

Link Start

This was it. Vincent had done it--he had now dived into the world of SAO, the world of Aincrad. In the split second before he opened his in-game eyes, he recalled a dire warning that came from his uncle, an Australian businessman, who had introduced him about this game, while he was staying at his Tokyo Hotel. "Vince... are you sure about this? This is indeed an amazing piece of technology, not seen even in your country of America. But... there is a risk. If you die in the game, you really will die." Even if his uncle was speaking through the phone, Vincent could picture his perturbed look. His uncle was always the great worrier in the family. And die? He knew the game will be immersive, but he knew you wouldn't die if you die in the game. Vincent figured his uncle must be joking, or just irrationally worried. "I'll be fine, uncle. This is my decision." He remembers saying. Thirty minutes later of walking around his hotel room, Vincent finally put on his NerveGear, and took a "leap of faith." He entered Angeel as his username, after his middle name of Angelo.

When he opened his eyes, his jaw dropped. This was unlike any immersion game he'd ever played. His chest was brimming with excitement and his head was flooded by thoughts that it was a wonder that he didn't explode on the spot. A medieval city! I've always read stories about knights... and I've always loved European history... I cannot believe I can actually be a real knigh--! Angeel then looked down on himself, to see what he was wearing. He found that what he was wearing in real life before "diving in" had somewhat carried through. His black windbreaker had now transformed into a black cloak-like jacket, and his white Vineyard Vines long-sleeved shirt under his windbreaker had now become a plain, white long-sleeved shirt. He had brown pants on, a copy over from his real life khakis. His Sperry's boat shoes had now transformed into leather sandals. Angeel then noticed that he had a leather strap upon his chest and around his body. He then realized that he was carrying a standard starting longsword! When he realized this, he had to work hard to keep from exploding with excitement.

Okay, now my adventure begins!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our hero Angeel figured sauntering around the Starting City to get a feel of things would be the best starting way to go. He really took in the sights and immersed himself, garnering the looks of both NPCs and players alike as he sometimes stretched in enthusiasm or even whirled around, looking like a lunatic. It took Angeel around five more minutes to realize that he was attracting unwanted attention, and so he lowered his excitement down a notch a little bit.

The Starting City looked very much like the various European cities Angeel was taken to as a kid, and also during trips in high school and college, namely Barcelona. He enjoyed all the intricate statues, stained glass windows and archways that this virtual city had. He also enjoyed the crisp, medieval feel of the city. It was complete with churches and castles, and the marketplace was crowded to the brim with NPCs and players. Suddenly, Angeel felt a bit overwhelmed. He honestly didn't know where to start! Everyone seemed to know what they were doing. Angeel, being a bit on the egotistical, hid the fact that was not very experienced in RPs.

Stumbling, I mean, walking to the nearest NPC store, he inquired on what to do next.

The NPC greeted our hero Angeel with a welcoming smile. "How may I help you, good sir?" The store owner looked like a woman in her late thirties, dressed in typical medieval market attire. The clothes was so realistic that it even had minor tatters and some stains on it. Dang, the game developers even got the faces right-- the NPC looks so realistic! And the clothes, too! A screen then flashed before our hero.

Antidote Potion - Cures the target of one Condition. 500 col BUY? Y/N

Healing Potion - Heals the target for 5 Hp. 500 col BUY? Y/N

Message Record Crystal (Light Sea Green when recording/playing-back, Teal when inactive) -Record what someone has said. (Can only record once, but can be played back indefinitely) 400 col BUY? Y/N

"Oh--um, no thank you, ma'am." For a moment, Angeel struggled because this WAS an NPC. But they looked human! In the end, our hero's colossal superego (psychological side containing virtues, etc.) combined with his OCD to be "perfect," he decided that NPCs will be treated as humans by him. "Ma'am, I'm actually wondering what to do next. You see, I'm a beginner not just on Sword Art Online, but also in RPG, or should I say, MMORPGs, as a whole."

The shopkeeper smiled at our hero. "No worries! Don't be overwhelmed. Well, you know Sword Art Online isn't ALL about killing and all that! The goal here is also to make connections with other people, and find a purpose on your stay here." The NPC then bent down, searching for something in her stash. "Here, this is a list of «Professions» that you can be in Aincrad." Angeel took the piece of paper. "You can keep that, in case you ever need to look at it again." Angeel smiled at the NPC and waved goodbye and said a quick "thank you," eager to get started on his adventure.

Merchant: can sell rare items (how they get is their problem) and can appraise specs not normally seen (say a rare weapon dropped they'd be able to tell whether or not it has a special effect).

Smithing: make better, repair, or make anew for weapons and metal armor.

Tailoring: make better, repair, or make anew for leather/cloth armor and accessories.

Artisan: make better, repair, or make anew for jewelry can be metal or leather/cloth.

Alchemy: make potions and upon mastery can make crystals with RARE ingredients.

Performer: sings/plays instruments and performs (acrobatics) for a crowd. In battle this allows you to throw your voice (for pulling monsters to and away) and be more evasive (fancy flips and doges).

Cooking: Basically it's a social thing you eat good things and it maximizes luck for certain things beyond that nothing else.

Fishing: Fishing for regular fish or rare fishes, Making your own fishing rod and crafting items specific to fishing only. This is the only crafting profession that can fish and encounter rare water monsters.

Angeel thought for a long time what profession he should take. His head was practically buried in the paper as he thought deeply, bumping a couple of NPCs and annoyed players along the way. After a long trek of which Angeel didn't seem to mind walking as he was too deep in thought, he finally found the answer: he would become a fisherman in this game!

Our hero was then brought back to his younger days when his father would take him fishing in the Hudson Estuary. They would also fish in water spots in the Adirondack Mountains and the Catskills, in Upstate New York. I'm pretty good at fishing in real life, so I guess I'll be good at fishing here as well? Our hero thought excitedly. The other reason our hero wanted to fish was that he was in heart a nautical person. He loves sailing besides fishing, as well. As our hero finally found a direction to go, he was again lost since he didn't know how or where to become a fisherman!!

Rushing back and thankfully finding his way back to the shopkeeper he was talking to earlier, he now inquired on how to become a fisherman in Aincrad.

The NPC smiled at him again in her trademark smile (Angeel realized that although NPCsso accurately emulated a human, they still couldn't fully replace a human being's varying smile), and told him, "No worries, aspiring fisherman. All you have to do is this quest." A screen then popped in front of Angeel.

Floor 1- Locate Master Fisherman Roger

According to the shopkeeper, Master Fisherman Roger can give you more information regarding your profession.

Objective: Locate and Talk to Master Fisherman Roger.

Reward: More information on the Fishing profession.

Accept Mission?

YES/NO

Angeel clicked Yes.

The NPC then spoke again. "I must warn you, though. Master Fisherman Roger is located Northeast of this floor, at the lake. You will find many field monsters, including boars, wolves, and various insects as you go across the grasslands surrounding this great city." Our hero Angeel looked unfazed. He replied to the shopkeeper. "Thanks for all your help, ma'am. But I didn't join this game to just sit around!" Our hero said with a smile and great gusto.

And with that, he started walking to the Northeastern Exit of the city. It was now two hours past high noon.

When our hero had the gates leading to the Northeastern part of the floor in his sights, he started to walk faster. And faster. And faster, until the walk had now become a full-blown sprint! With a smile of eagerness and passion, our hero exited the Safe Area of the Starting City, and entered the Grasslands of the First Floor. Okay, I have to be careful now. That nice NPC woman warned me of boars, wolves and insects. I wouldn't want to waste my col on some potions for injuries that can be avoided in the first place. As our hero paused for a moment and gathered his resolve, he thought of why he even joined SAO in the first place.

A smile then reappeared on his face. I wanted this. Adventure. The thrill of living. Ironically... I feel more alive here than I do in the real world... And with that, our hero did a mad dash, or <>, towards the northeast part of the floor, towards the lake, to meet Master Fisherman Roger.

After about ten minutes of sprinting, and the lake no where in sight, our hero Angeel figured it would best to slow things down a bit. Deactivating <>, he started to walk his usual pace, what he would call "Sauntering." Angeel was kind of surprised to see how few heroes he could spot near him. He could see figures but they were a considerable distance away. He felt the gravity of the vastness of Aincrad, and marvelled at how a person could possibly create such a virtual place.

Our hero breathed the air, felt the wind, and, after about five minutes, couldn't resist but fall on the ground to feel the grass. It all felt so real. Suddenly, he felt something. A vibration on the ground. It came from behind him. Getting excited at the thought of making new acquaintances, or even new friends, he turned around with a big smile on his face. But what he saw was what he least expected.

It was a hoard of Frenzy Boars. About five of them.

Our had a huge smile on his face. Although he was looking for people and not boars, this would be a good time to earn some experience in battling. He must have disturbed them while he was walking around lost in his excitement. Okay, my goal is to kill all five of these boars without getting as much as a scratch on me! Our hero Angeel had OCD (can be seen in his Journal Entry in my signature), and he always strives to be perfect. Our hero then got out his sword, and unfazed by the mob of frenzy boars, proclaimed, "You guys have no idea who you're messing with..."

The boars were interestingly arranged in some kind of clumsy formation, with one boar, seemingly the leader of the horde, at the front, and two boars forming a line (totaling four) on his left and right side. The boar on the front dashed for our hero, tusks ready to ram him. The other four appeared to wait and see what would happen.

Angeel readied his sword by putting two hands on the hilt and lifting it into the air for a heavy slash downwards towards the boar. He also has <> activated, to make him dodge easier.

Battle Dice:

1-5 - Angeel misses the boar, but he dodges the boars attack with ease.

6-8 - Angeel's slash hits the boar clean on the side, doing 1 HP damage.

9-10 - Angeel's slash lands a critical on a weak spot on the boar's tough hide, doing 2 HP damage.

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

Frenzy Boar (Class: Field Monster) 5/5

Damn it! Angeel cursed in his head as his slash missed the boar by an inch. It seemed he still wasn't quite used to the weight of the sword. The boar, thankfully, was much slower and clumsier than our athletic hero, and he easily sidestepped to dodge the boar's ramming charge. Without even looking at the other boars, he charged the same boar and attempted to slash at its back, doing the same overhead slash he did earlier.

Battle Dice:

9-10 - Angeel's slash lands a critical on a weak spot on the boar's tough hide, doing 2 HP damage.

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

This time, our hero managed to slash the boar. Blood spurted out from the back of the field monster. Adrenaline surged through our hero's veins. This was his first inflicted damage in the game! "Hehe! Finally got you!" Behind him, the other boars started to come to the rescue of their leader. Looking back to the boar leader to make sure he didn't pull any trick on him while he dealt with the other boars, Angeel saw that the leader was still trying to get his bearings together. Our hero now had two choices: Hurt the leader boar first while he's down or deal with the charging boars.

He chose to take care of the leader first. He figured further damaging one will be better than having five boars with near-perfect health to deal with later.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

Frenzy Boar (Class: Field Monster) 4/5

With a jump to further get ahead of the boars charging from behind him, our hero screamed, "AAAAAHHH!!!" while slashing the defenseless boar who was still recovering from the attack earlier. With a powerful slash, the boar screamed in pain, and finally got its bearings together and regrouped with the rest of the mob. The boars behind our hero still kept their charging, however, looking unperturbed that their leader was badly hurt. They were really intent on defeating our hero.

With a taunting grin, our hero also rushed the charging horde of four boars. This time, they weren't as organized with their formation. Our hero changed his sword stance and put his sword to his lower right side, still gripping the hilt with two hands.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

Frenzy Boar (Class: Field Monster) 2/5

He couldn't believe it... he had missed a clean hit! Again, however, he dodged the boars' attack with ease. Also, since he was already going to the side aiming for the flank, his dodge was already facilitated. Tsk... looks like I gotta get better with swordfighting... Turning around, he roared a furious roar, and charged at the boars once again. The boars had just stopped to turn around, their stubby bodies giving them a hard time mobility-wise. Our hero Angeel would not give up. If his stance didn't work, he would try it again, until it worked! Putting his longsword once again to his lower right side, he readied to slash the leader boar.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

Missed again! Because of his anger, the boar on the rear left flank almost managed to hit him with his tusk. Our hero Angeel would not have that. These were mere field monsters. Angeel would not be as much as touched by these unworthy enemies. Turning around to face the boar horde once again, Angeel tried his lower right formation for the third time. Third times's the charm, right?

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

YESS! Our hero finally managed to do it. Bringing his sword up diagonally with great finesse, he managed to get a critical on the leader boar. The hit was so strong that it sent the boar's bloody carcass flying, before disintegrating into pixels. Now, onto the last three.

Excited to do another stance now that the previous stance finally managed to do the job, Angeel now wanted to try the overhead slash again. It is important to note that these aren't real SAO sword skills, it was rather just Angeel slashing around trying different ways to slash a sword, and so only does normal damage. Now, our hero is aiming for the boar on the Front Right flank, since he was charging to the left.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

Frenzy Boar (Class: Field Monster) 0/5

ARRGGHH!!! Missed! Stopping himself before he could distance himself too much from the horde, our hero turned and tried to slash the boar on the rear right flank, who had just passed him.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

Mother of-- Our hero thought this battle would be a breeze, that it was going to be over by now. As our hero was stuck in his thoughts, the boars had time to regroup and form formation again, and then they charged at Angeel with renewed vigor.

Angeel was taken back to his memories when he had a serious talk with his father. He had told his father that the future scared him. He wasn't so sure if he could really handle medical school. Then, his father gave him a piece of advice that always stuck with him in his life: "It's not about whether you're ready or not. It's about going out there and doing it.

With renewed resolve, our hero waited for the boars to come, sword ready in his hands.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 7/7

Our hero did it! He managed to get a nice slash on one of the boars leading the charge. Suddenly, he noticed his HP increase by 2 points. Yes, levelled up! His confidence boosted by his success at slashing a boar and leveling up, Angeel readied his sword once again, targeting the boar he had just hit, so that he could eliminate one more.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 9/9

*Sigh* He missed again. But no matter. This next slash will do the job. Definitely! Trusting his Starter Longsword, our hero slashed with all his might at the boar as the mob charged at him with all their might.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 9/9

Alright, he missed again. These boars were seriously the luckiest field monsters alive. Wasting no time, our hero now ran a distance away from the boars. When they seemed to be getting their bearings back and charging towards him again, he also started to charge towards the monsters. Shouting a shout comparable to a Viking's during a Viking Raid, he tightened his grip on his sword hilt and slashed with great strength at the boar he had damaged earlier once again.

Battle Dice:

Participant HP:

Angeel 9/9