[SP - F1] «Earning a Living»

As I enter the town, I have an urge to not only attack the monsters, but I must earn a living. If not, I must make my life better for myself. I heard about a quest that intrigued me. Something about a profession. It looks like I might find myself a profession, but what must I do? I think I shall become a fisher, but first I must craft myself a fishing rod. Back at home when I had free time I went fishing with my little sister, so I have some knowledge about fishing. Well I think I can find myself some materials to start and to go fishing. "Well, time to go fishing," I said to myself as people look at me as if I'm insane. "Argh, where could I find some materials for a damn fishing rod?"

Not long after, I was able to find some materials to craft myself a fishing rod. "Finally, now to do some fishing. I think northeast from here should be a lake region. Looks like that's where I'll be heading." As I head northeast of Starting City, I started to feel excited about fishing. Maybe because it brings back some fond memories back when My sister and I got along. I'll do my best to earn a living and hope fishing isn't as hard as it is back at home.

I've finally reached the lake region, and now I need to do some fishing. "Now, where should I start?" I asked myself. I went towards the end of the lake where it seems to have a little place for me to start my fishing. "I guess I can start fishing here. Now just have to wait." As I stare off to space I still imagine how my sister is doing back at home. I hope she's doing okay. I'm here just fishing and she's probably worried sick about me. Well I need to finish this as soon as possible so I can make a living.

Moments later, "Ah, a couple of fishes now." Maybe I should stay here longer, but it looks like it's getting dark. There could be some wild boars around, and I could get something to eat out of them if they drop meat that is. "Argh, I'm starting to get hungry.. I can't eat the fish. I need to sell them, but one couldn't hurt?" I need to keep my eyes on the prize. Well my stomach can handle it.

I couldn't handle the hunger anymore. I built a fire and started to cook two fishes, but one of them were burnt. "Argh.. My cooking isn't high enough to cook two god damn fishes!" Then to my amazement the second fish cooked well and I gobbled it down. The fire seems to warm me this late at night, but I think I'll be fine. As I continue my search for fishes I realized that the light of the fire is scarring the fishes away. I had to head towards some where darker, because this is probably the only fire I can make. I need to catch a couple more fishes before I can sell these to a merchant back on F1. I'll do my best to fish until this is done! "Well time for more fishing. No point of wasting time now." I said to myself as I watch my hook land into the water.

I've been watching the scenery for some time now and I haven't seen players around these lake regions. Maybe people aren't into fishing like me. I look up on the sky as I try to reach for the moon. "Someday I'll see you again, Sis. Just you wait." I wonder what's she doing these past few days. It feels like forever but it's probably because I've been fishing for quite some time. As I scroll down on the menu for the quest log. It seems like I need to finish fishing for quite some time. Maybe I can chat with some people on my way back to deliver the quest. "Argh, what am I thinking about? No one came to the lake region for a couple of days already." I lay down on the grass while I hold onto my fishing rod. Hmm. I might be able to catch a rare fish. -sigh- "Not going to happen.." I said to myself as I slowly feel like falling asleep.

I woke up to some birds chirping around the area. I looked at my fishing rod and it seems like the fishes never took my bait. I tossed my old one out and put a new one on and continued to fish some more. I finally see an old man walk by the river. "Hey! Old man over here." I shouted to the old man. He looked towards me and started to walk toward me. At first I hesitated, but then he didn't seem like a bad guy. "Hey there boy! I see you've caught yourself some fish." He said with a smile on his face. I smiled back and said, "Yeah, but I need some more fishes so I can sell to the merchant for some "Col," but it seems like the fishes don't like me anymore." He laughed and grabbed my fishing rod and had a stance of some sort. I then see the fishing rod shine and he tossed it into the lake. "Amazing, old man. I see you must be an excellent fisher." I said to him as I watch him gather fishes. "Well boy. The trick is within you." He said, "Within me?" I looked at him with confusion. What does he mean? I told myself.

I took a stance like how the old man did it. I held in my breath and felt a power going towards my hands. "ARRGGHH! HEYYAAAAH!" I screamed as I tossed the rod into the lake. I looked at the old man and smiled. "Wow, in one try and you did that? I took me a couple days just to toss that darn thing like that." The old man said to me. I looked into the lake and see that lots of fishes are coming towards my rod. "Well I watched you and listen to your words, but when you told me it had something to do within me. I thought I had to concentrate hard enough onto my hands." I said as I reeled a fish in. I kept doing what he told me to do while we chatted about what might be going on in the real world while we're here.

I was having a great time with the old man, but it seemed like something was troubling him. "Hey, what's wrong? You seemed to be having trouble keeping a smile now." He wiped his face with his sleeves and said, "You remind me so much of my son. He was such a good person and he loved to go fishing when I asked him to, but he died in an accident leaving his son and daughter to a stranger." I thought about how his son might be my father, but my father never went fishing. Maybe he did I don't know. "What was his name if that doesn't bother you?" I asked him eagerly. "Sorry, boy-o. That's personal. Haha. Maybe someday if we meet again I can tell you." I'm sure that he might be my father. I just had to know, but it seems like if he was he would've recognized me.

Some time has passed by and he had to go home and take a rest. I looked into my inventory seeing all these fishes and all I had to do was just level my fishing up and I can complete this quest already. I'm going to give it to the old man when he comes back. He'll love it, but I'll take some for myself just in case I get hungry of course. I sensed two players walking to the pillar to head to the next floor. "Hey, did you hear about the coffee shop? It has the most delicious coffee I've ever tasted. the player said to what seems to be his wife. I thought to myself maybe I should get some coffee after I've completed this god damn quest. My I just continued to fish until I feel like I've completed this quest.

The next day, I see the old man, but with a couple of other people. "Hey old man, who are these people?" I asked him. The people he brought were gathering around having a picnic. It seems like people are having so much fun. "Sorry if this bothers you, but I met these folks back in town and they asked me to tag along to their picnic. So here I am!. He said while looking for his food. "What's wrong? You looking for your food?" I said. He was scrambling around asking the others if they saw his bag. I pulled down my menu and gave him most of the fish I caught. "Here. Cook the fish and share it with the others. My cooking skills are really bad and I'll probably burn all of these in a matter of seconds." I said to him while I handed him the bag filled with the fishes. I continued to fish and eavesdropped on some people's conversations. "Hey, why is that boy fishing? It seems like he has nothing to do. said a girl to her friends. "Tsk, I can do whatever I want." I said to myself as I looked away.

As more people come to the picnic I started to see the fishes have gone away. The durability of my fishing rod had ended and de-materialized. I watched as the date of my fishing rod hit the floor. -sigh- "Now I need to make another one." I handed over some more fishes to the old man and asked him to cook me some so I can eat some while I go searching for more materials for my rod. "Sure thing. Just give me a minute to get you about 10 cooked fishes." He said while drinking some beer with the new friends he made. I slouched down next to a tree and started to drift to sleep. I then woke up to some birds chirping again. "Argh. God damn birds." I said to the birds as they flew away.

"Hey, wake up! I got the fishes for you." The old man yelled at me as I wipe my eyes and collected the fishes. "Thank you, old man! I'll be back in a couple of minutes!" As I told him, I walked towards the forest looking for sticks and strings. I manage to grab a couple of them and headed back for the picnic. I manage to see the people having a fun time while I'm here collecting materials for a fishing rod. "Stupid fishes, come back to me! I need some more fishes!" I said to myself as I munch on the last fish I had. Closer and closer I went towards the the picnic I can hear people have fun. Which makes me feel good for some odd reason. Maybe the feeling of people around me or I'm just a big weirdo.

As I headed out of the forest. It seemed like it was sun down. I heard a couple of kids laughing and playing around behind me. I smiled and said, "Man, what a day? People having a fun time even when they know if something goes wrong. Game over." I knew these kids didn't want to stay in this stupid death game, but it's not so bad now that I realize it, but being alone sucks. I need a love life, but I don't see myself very attractive. I continued to head towards the picnic and a kids said, "Have a good day mister!" I looked back at the children as they continued to have fun.

2cz5ws2.jpg

I finally reached back to the picnic and it seemed like people were setting up tents. "What's going on? Slumber party while I fish? Haha." I said to the old man. He finished setting up his tent and said, "Boy, these people don't have homes, so they just settle down for anything they have now. Having company is better than being alone. Am I right?" I smiled and said, "You're always right, old man." I walked towards my usual fishing spot and started to craft myself the fishing rod and prepared to fish. I looked at the people and smiled and I start to fish again.

I started feeling like I'm floating on a bed of water, and then I started feeling a cold feeling on my hands. I woke up in the lake. Finding that the old man and the kids put me in the water. I smiled. "What're you trying to do? Do you want me to die here?!" I exclaimed, but I'm happy that people aren't afraid of the death game. "Oh cheer up boy! I know you just want to have fun!" The old man said. I ran out the water chasing the kids while throwing the fishes I caught! I didn't care if they were de-materializing I just know that I'm finally having fun. I never had this much fun after I came into this death game. I'm happy that people are still happy. "Hey boy, I never got you name. What is it?" I smiled and said, "My name is Caen. Nice to meet you!

As the day passed on, I started to realize maybe someday I'll meet someone special here. Right now I just need to focus on learning to fish. "Hey old man, uhm can you help me fish?" I said with a confused voice. "Caen, are you confused? Don't you already know how to fish?". I thought to myself. I'm here to learn how to fish. Not to play. I'll be free after this quest, but I must fish! "Nah old man. I just want to fish. Like regular. I want to use that power to catch a rare fish, but here just a normal. I'm probably going to finish this longer, but I need to learn the necessities. "Well old man? You wanna teach me?" I asked nicely. He smiled at me and walked away saying, "We start tomorrow. Is that okay?" I smiled and said, "Right on! I'm ready for it!"

A new day has arrived. I took out two fishing rods and waiting for the old man near the lake. "Where could that old man be?" I looked along side the roads, but no one to be found. I waited and waited for hours. "Did he have something to do? Maybe he's busy. No worries nothing to hold against him." He might be running late or could be hanging out with his buddies! No need to worry. Right? "I see you have been patient. This is the first step of real fishing!" he said right behind me. He spooked me and I fell into the river. "You scared me, y'know.". We chuckled and had a good conversation. It went well. minutes, hours have passed. I finally caught a fish without using the power within.

I continued to fish for another day, but this time not with the old man. This time I need to fish by myself. I need to learn to be patient without having to have another person by me. Once I mastered this, I might be able to wield a sword and use it to protect the people I love. "Hmmm.. time for a new rod." I pulled the rod back in and threw it on the ground and waited for it to de-materialize. I grabbed my last rod and tossed it into the lake and watched the fishes come by. This made my day better, because I don't need to have someone waste their time watching me throw a rod into a lake to catch a fish. I still want to taste that coffee I heard about. Maybe I should go get some after I've sold these to the merchants. That's a great plan. I'm going with it. No one is going to stop me. Nope. "-sigh- "I'm talking to myself again.."

As I stare at the sky, I realize that maybe I can finally do something. I can help people achieve happiness. I can try to do what no one could ever achieve. I might die in the process, but if it makes people happy or my sister happy. I'm willing to sacrifice it all to have everyone stay happy. As I toss my rod into the lake the old man approached me saying, "Hey Caen, many people have complained about a shady player always fishing in the lake, and they want you to leave as soon as possible." I smiled and said, "No worries, I'm going to finish up and take my leave. I won't be a bother to you all soon." As I catch more fishes the old man started to walk away. I took a glance and I see him wipe his tears but with a smile on his face. "As soon as I finish this up, I'll take my leave. I guess this is what will make other players happy." I said to myself as I throw in my last rod.

I gathered up my things and headed out, but I made a stop to the old man's house. "It seems like he's sleeping. I'll just go through the window." I said to myself as I climbed into the window. I headed towards the kitchen of his house and placed down all the fishes I caught, and placed a "Thank you" recording down next to the bag of fishes. I took my leave and headed for the Town of Beginnings. I started to search for a player named Crim who gave me this quest, but it seems like I'm having a hard time finding him. It's already dark out and I should find a place to sleep, because I haven't had much sleep ever since I was fishing. I found a nice hotel and called for a room. As the nice NPC should me to my room, I smiled and thanked him. "I'm going to finish this quest and find a way to get myself a weapon." I said to myself as I drifted to sleep.

I got up from bed and got dressed and headed downstairs to the exit. "Thank you for the room!" I said to the NPC as I headed out into the town. I looked around and found myself watching other players having a good time. I took out the only cooked fish I had left and started to munch on it. As I finished eating my fish, I went to find a info broker to know the whereabouts of Crim. I asked the info broker, "Where can I find Crim?" The info broker looked confused, but then pointed me towards the direction I will likely see Crim. I thanked the info broker as I dashed towards that direction. I found myself in the center of the town. I remembered it felt like just yesterday that the hooded man told us we will die if we don't survive this death game. I started to walk, because it was tiring, running one place to another. I sat down at a bench to take a nice nap, and I dosed off.

I woke up from my nice nap, and headed towards a building where I could clearly see the name Crim. I ran towards the building but it seemed like people were turning their quest in as well. I looked at my menu and saw that I'm about to complete my quest. As I waited in line I overheard people talking about the coffee shop, so I as I got closer to the building I said, "I've completed the mission, and I would love to be a Fisher." I finally got to the building and I had a chat with Crim for awhile. I then told him what I said at the line. I'm expecting an answer and won't be too long. Now I can finally go out to that coffee shop and not have to worry about completing any quests. I smiled at him and walked out of the building towards the coffee shop. Waving bye to Crim.