[PP-F1] The Opening Spark

The day was late and the light cast upon the bustling scenery of the Town of Beginnings was disappearing slowly over the mountains in the distance. However, that did not mean the commotion before a certain girl was quieting down anytime soon. In fact, it sounded as if the persons involved were only going to get more and more agitated, from the words they were shouting at each other for all the world to hear.

Elyth really didn't want to be disturbed. She was flipping through the guide the beta players had put together, which she had found at the store, and was currently reading up on combat schematics.

Okay, this was a bit boring, and the knife flying towards her at super-human speed was probably a sign that she should get out of that particular war-zone as fast as she could, despite the fact that no one could really die in a safe-zone such as the Town of Beginnings. Quickly dodging to the left, Elyth barely escaped being impaled by a knife through her forehead, and promptly rose from her seat, walking away from the open plaza as fast as she could.

Tumblr_mct8fgNyYL1rixie3o1_500.gif

The first sensation Scarlet felt was a mind-numbing ache behind her eyes and the second was a static sort of sound resonating in her ears. Vaguely, she could sense her body- artificial body- crumpling to the ground, and automatically felt her hands searching for her wooden sword, which should be at her hip- and there it was. Except that this sword was... different from her own. It felt more... cold, smooth, and didn't have the markings she'd carved into it two summers ago.

Immediately her eyelids flew up, and Scarlet felt the aching again, before it gently subsided into the early morning light of the First Floor of Aincrad. It was quite a lot to take in, but she barely glanced at the marvelous pixels of the Town of Beginnings before inspecting her sword. It was an iron sword, cold and simple. Where was her wooden sword...? Oh wait. Oh. Ohhhh. OH, this was Sword Art Online, not real life, and that was why her wooden sword wasn't with her at the moment. What a relief. Hopefully it'd stay safe at home with her now inert body.

Sighing in relief, Scarlet got up from the ground, and inspected her clothing. She was wearing a light blue tunic underneath an almond vest, forest green pants- capris, and tall, knee-length boots.

Not bad, she supposed.

A sharp, brief flash of light disrupted Elyth's eagerness to get away from the plaza. It was another player! And she/he would be landing right in the middle of the fighters... not a good thing. Turning around abruptly, Elyth was pleased to note that the new player was actually a few yards- or so it seemed- away from the group of raucous troublemakers. Sighing in relief, Elyth took the opportunity to walk over to the other player and introduce herself.

Taking a long detour around the group of troublemakers, Elyth soon found herself standing next to a woman with fierce red hair that was too richly noble for her novice garb.

"Hi! I'm Elyth!" Elyth exclaimed, leaning sideways to look at the woman's face. "What's your name?"

"Hi! I'm Elyth! What's your name?"

So said a vibrant voice to Scarlet's left. Scarlet turned to face the owner of the voice, realizing in the process that her own long hair moved so fluidly in-game! Amazing. The owner of the voice had a creamy white hair, and silver-gray eyes that seemed to fall limitlessly inside, like a monotone abyss. In contrast, her skin was a warm olive color with a layer of golden undertones, and she radiated a refreshing aura.

"My name-" Scarlet began, moving her hands to her sword, "-is Scarlet. At least, that is my in-game name. Nice to meet you, Elyth."

OH MY SHE'S SO PRETTY Elyth thought, tearing up at the sight. She moved back to allow Scarlet some personal space, and stuck out her hand invitingly. "Please travel with me!"

Realizing that saying that had not been the most logical approach, Elyth retracted her hand immediately and bowed deeply, and on the floor, repeating her request.

"Please travel with me."

HUOILol.gif

FIrst impression already proved wrong, defied, and stuffed into a toilet to be flushed away to the sea of "Ah, no, I was so ****ing wrong," Scarlet was unsure how to reply. Then again, what could really happen? What kind of person would stab her in the back after bowing?

"I shall," Scarlet smiled, replying while somewhat amused. "Only if you can beat me in a duel."

What better to test this person's capabilities than a duel? Scarlet wasn't sure how that would work, but she assumed it would be pretty simple.

"I shall. Only if you can beat me in a duel," Scarlet answered, smiling. Elyth peeked up from her deep bow and was... confused.

"You want me to duel you?" she asked stupidly. "I guess we can do that... But let's make it quick."

Elyth took her <> out and faced Scarlet.

Duel!

1-4: Miss

5-8: One Damage

9-10: Two Damage

Scarlet's movement was startling and... predictable. It was a narrow miss though, and Elyth had just barely stepped out of the way as her dueling partner stabbed forward with surprising speed.

"Ouch," she said reflexively, and swiped down towards Scarlet's uncovered back.

Duel!

This girl, Elyth, was good for a novice, but Scarlet wasn't one. Elyth's movement was predictable, just as Scarlet's stab was earlier, and now Elyth was right in Scarlet's very loosely put together trap. Scarlet could do better than this, but this duel didn't really matter. Either way, she was somehow certain she was going to adventure with Elyth.

With a deft movement of her wrist, Scarlet parried Elyth's swipe.

Duel!

"Tch," Elyth found herself saying, just as Scarlet's blade parried her own and sliced at her arm. At the moment, she wasn't really thinking, because battle was one of those reflexive things, or so she thought, and ducked, back-flipping with one arm, the other swiping at Scarlet's stomach, a fancy move she had learned to do as a suburban girl who came from the country and had way to much time on her hands.

Duel!

Elyth was good, just not as good as Scarlet, who had trained in martial arts and swordplay for years, who had actually beat up people with guns, who had actually been shot a couple of times. Scarlet simply held down Elyth's sword-wielding wrist, but gravity did have it's momentum, and the two fell to the ground, Scarlet barely avoiding the blade of Elyth's sword.

"I suppose that's all?" Scarlet asked, her own sword poised at Elyth's neck, when she felt Elyth's wrist convulsing to bring her own sword up to Scarlet's abdomen.

"You're not bad," she commented, getting up and releasing Elyth, smiling like a proud mother. "But you still need practice. I'll take you up on that adventuring offer."

• 2 weeks later...

"You're amazing, Scarlet! I wish I could fight as well as you, but I dunno how," Elyth grinned, sitting up with her legs crossed, and stretching her torso. "And about adventuring with me- please take care of me!"

Elyth promptly arose, and took Scarlet by the hand. "So! What do you want to do first? Exploring or fighting?"

"So! What do you want to do first? Exploring or fighting?"

"That's a strange question, Elyth. Of course I'd want to learn how to fight first," Scarlet said, rolling up her sleeves. She touched her sword again impulsively."Why don't you show me how to fight here?"

"That's the exit to the Town of Beginnings, right?" Scarlet pointed to the large gate visible from the town's central plaza. "What's outside?"

Elyth saw that Scarlet was pointing at the city gates. "Oh, yeah. Let's go then. Maybe we can find a peaceful place to nap along the way..."

Elyth began walking towards the gates, excited and sleepy. She expected to find a warm place to nap after helping Scarlet with the combat schematics of Aincrad.

"So, Scarlet, my name is Elyth Anias. What's yours?" She asked, putting her hands behind her head.