[PP-F1] Quest for Strawberry Cake

This was taking too long.

Impatiently, Scarlet tapped at the oval and glazed wood table rhythmically. Atop the table stood one tall and slender vase of water, wherein limped the two green stalks of a certain rose, which, upon closer inspection, was labeled by Sword Art Online's Cardinal system as a , distinctly named for its yellow petals. The vase itself, a simple work, was marked by two words, telling of the shop to which it belonged, the , a NPC establishment on the first floor of Aincrad, floating castle of Sword Art Online. The aforementioned cafe was a quaint place, located near the wall of the Town of Beginning, a perfect location for a shop of its gentle air. It was rare to see more than five or more people walking along the boundaries of the shop, and one would expect that the service would be... faster, if it even existed in the first place.

It was then that Scarlet realized that the was a bit too quiet. She rose from the table, pushing back the ornate wooden chair, and made her way over cobblestone paving and through a row of seats to the inside of the cafe. Pushing open the only barrier between herself and her destination (a door), Scarlet felt her feet trip over something, and she fell to the floor with a solid thump.

After a deep sigh, Eléssar opened his eyes sligthly and held the bench to take the support he needed to get up. While scratching the back of his head, he cursed to the sun for ruining his nap time. He stood up, cleaning the dust out of his clothes with quick pats on them. Stretching himself right after, he stopped with the growling sound of his stomach. Placing one of his hands on his belly and checking his inventory to see if he had any food left inside it. Unluckily, he had none. Noticing the extra gold he had on his stash, he thought about buying some from the NPCs. While walking towards street full of NPCs, he heard other players talking about a shop named . He never knew that something like this existed in the first town.. '' Well.. If its a cafe, it should have foods.. '' he mumbled to himself, getting the place information from the players and locating the shop on his map before heading to the cafe. With the help of the information, it didn't took long for him to find the way even with his slow movement.

He stood in front of the cafe, reading big colored the sign placed on top of the entrance to the cafe. He took a deep breath before taking a step towards the door and stopped as it opened from the inside, watching the red haired girl walking out and tripping. He tried to hold her hand to prevent her falling on the ground but he was too late for it, he was dazed at her sight. He shook his head slowly, snapping himself out of it and helping the girl to stand up by holding her hand. '' He.. Are you alright?

The floor was like marble- chilling and smooth, and not at all comfortable. Thus, Scarlet was grateful when someone actually tried to help her get up from the floor, and she took the hand willingly.

"He.. Are you alright?" A voice asked as Scarlet looked up to see a garden of red hair, much like her own, yet shorter, atop a face of sharp, mature angles, and in the middle, amber, yellow eyes much like the yellow roses she'd seen just outside. Scarlet looked at him, memorizing his face, because she simply could not remember names, and then realized that she was still holding his hand.

"I am fine, thank you," Scarlet replied to the man, smiling in a way that was not unkind. She was still grateful for his presence. "I'm Scarlet. Nice to meet you, and may I ask for your name?"

Eléssar smiled softly while looking at her, helping her to get up by holding her hand. He looked at the girls face, smiling into her brown eyes. He noticed that she was wearing a novice gear, it was nice to meet new players and low levels like him. '' Scarlet..? What a perfect suit. '' he said while looking at her her, trailing her hair down as it reaches to her waist with his eyes. '' The pleasure is mine, name is Eléssar.'' he added and looked at her eyes again. Only then he realized that he was still holding her hand, slowly letting go of her hand and moving it to back of his head. '' Not very careful with the steps i guess. he commented while looking at the door and then back to her.

'' Why not..? Just ask '' he though to himself, taking a deep breath and cracking a smile once again. '' Um.. I was here to eat something.. Maybe you could join me, i mean if you want to of course. '' he said in a excited tone, moving the hand at the back of his head up and down, scratching the spot.

Eléssar, Scarlet thought, turning the name over in her head. It sounded exotic and perhaps even like a name from a fantasy novel. Scarlet was impressed. She nodded in approval, adding, "That's a good name you've got there."

The person before her was now mentioning something about stairs... Turning around, Scarlet realized that yes, there had been steps. The steps were also made of marble-like material, which explained why Scarlet's feet were in and still were, to some extent, subdued agony ever since she had made the mistake of tripping. Scarlet felt a slight hint of heat on her cheeks, most likely out of embarrassment, and felt the pressure on her hand disappear.

She turned back to the man who had helped her get up from the floor and intense embarrassment just seconds before, face still slightly flushed and mouth in a small, unnoticeable pout. He was scratching his head, and smiling, while speaking, all at the same time. Multitasking, Scarlet noted, slightly amused.

"Um... I was here to eat something... Maybe you could join me, I mean if you want to of course," Eléssar somehow muttered aloud.

Scarlet mused over the question for three seconds (she counted) before replying, "Thank you for the offer, but I only want strawberry cake. If they don't have that here, then I must search for one who may be able to provide me with an unlimited supply. Of course, I would enjoy your company on my search."

At that moment, a NPC chef strode into the room, wearing the traditional top-hat of a chef. He looked forlorn and disappointed, and Scarlet suddenly had a very bad feeling.

Smiling at her compliment about his username, he turned to face her,pronouncing his username. '' E-les-sar. Means elf-stone.. Also Aragorns elvish name, the character in The Lord Of The Rings.. '' he stopped for a second, his eyes slightly closed. '' And something tells me that you already knew about these. ''

He noticed that her cheeks got darker, smiling softly while looking at her. '' Ah.. Everyone makes mistakes.. '' he commented, seeing that it didn't really help at all. '' I needed to get a map information to find this place.. I always get lost in towns, i really do suck at finding locations.'' he added, hoping that would make her feel better about the fall.

Right when he was about to speak, the growling sound coming from his stomach caused him to drown with his words. Almost dying from embarrassment, he blushes a dark color on his cheeks. '' I'm so.. So sorry.. I was here to eat and.. As you can hear im really hungry..So, uh yes. '' unwillingly, he spoke in a quite tone. Not even being able to look at her face, he looked down at his hand. Once again, moving his hand to back of his head and scratching the spot.

Finally being able to look at her, he noticed that she was distracted by something. He took a deep breath as dark color vanished from his cheeks, turning around to only see the chef standing behind him.

YESSSSSS, Scarlet thought, slightly out of character, as she listened to Eléssar's explanation. She could faintly remember watching the Lord of the Rings movies when she was a child, and wanting to be Gandalf with his unassailable staff. She smiled excitedly, and touched her sword reflexively.

"Ah.. Everyone makes mistakes..." Eléssar smiled kindly, and continued speaking in a way the Scarlet regarded as "trying to be comforting." "I needed to get a map information to find this place. I always get lost in towns, I really do suck at finding locations.''

His intentions were not left unnoticed, and Scarlet warmed inside, the simple acknowledgement of someone's goodwill relaxing her posture. She removed her hand from her sword, and brushed away some strands of hair from her face, just before she heard growl coming from Eléssar's abdominal region.

"I'm so.. So sorry.. I was here to eat and.. As you can hear I'm really hungry..So, uh yes," Eléssar spoke quietly, just as the chef walked into the room.

Both their attentions were now fully focused on the chef, who looked so sad. Scarlet found two chairs and scooted one over to Eléssar. She plopped herself down, and addressed the chef. "Excuse me sir, what seems to be the problem?"

The chef, a young man dressed in all white except his boots, replied, "We ran out of strawberry cake."

tumblr_m28k5a3hl71qgzglo.gif

"..." Sitting shell-shocked in her chair, Scarlet felt a tear come out from her eye. "What do you mean by that?"

"We simply ran out of ingredients, miss," the NPC said matter-of-factly. "If we could get some and , we'd be able to make our special strawberry cakes."

"...tell me where to get those," Scarlet muttered, with all the will of a dying man who only wanted to see the stars before he left the physical world behind. She blinked, and smiled again. "After Eléssar eats, that is."

Eléssar carefuly watched Scarlet while sitting down on the chair, he noticed that she was getting a little nervous. Turning around to face the chef as Scarlet asks her question. The same expression was coming from the npc too.

"We ran out of strawberry cake."

He sighed after hearing the chefs words, slowly turning around to Scarlet again. '' Well, maybe next ti- '' he stopped talking as he noticed the tear coming out from her eye. '' She is crying for strawberry cake? '' he thought to himself, handing her the napkin on the table quickly. The expression on her face was sad and cute at the same time, he noted the needed stuff for making the strawberry cake on his mind. '' Well, she did the same for sure.. '' once acain he thought to himself.

'' Ah.. Thank you, i promise to help you after i eat.. '' he said after a sigh, ordering the food for himself and a cold drink for his friend. '' Oh and if we are going to do that together, we should form a party.. I mean, for now. '' he added after finishing his order, turning towards her once again.

As soon as he finished his sentence, he found the foods that he just ordered on the table. Looking at the food and then to NPC with a surprised face. '' Well.. This is a game after all. '' he commented and started to eat his food. Trying to be kind and not to disturb the lady sitting with her.

"Ah.. Thank you, i promise to help you after i eat.. Oh and if we are going to do that together, we should form a party.. I mean, for now," Eléssar said, just as food apparated on the table. "Well.. This is a game after all."

Scarlet wasn't interested in the food so much as the impending expedition. However, this was a great chance to familiarize herself with Eléssar. "A party is a good idea," she conceded. "Thank you for helping me, Eléssar. I hope this isn't too much of a bother."

She cleared her throat. "I'll go see what information the NPC has concerning the whereabouts of the ingredients."

Standing up, Scarlet made her way over to the NPC chef, who was behind the counter. "Please tell me where the ingredients are located."

"Here."

Ingredients:

- Dropped by Strawberry Munchkins in the Elder Forest [F1]

- Found in the Market in the Town of Beginnings [F1]

'' Ah, no problem at all.. I like helping people and well, its good to have friends. You know.. '' he says after leaning his back on the chair as the NPC takes the empty plate from the table. '' Okay.. I'm waiting here. '' he added with a smile, watching her as she moves inside.

He slowly gots up from the chair and starts waiting near the door, checking his inventory if he had anything missed.. But everything was set, he had his health potions with him.. Maybe he could buy few sandwiches for the road. He cleared his throat as she stepped out of the store, smiling to her before sending the party invite.

'' Alright, it seems that we have the locations of the necessary items. '' he says, reading the happy expression on her face, he dusts off his clothes and stretches himself for the long walk ahead. '' You lead, i don't want to lead you to the wrong way. ''

Scarlet agreed. It was good to have friends, and people to watch your back for you, and by the time Eléssar had said so, Scarlet was too far ahead to reply. After getting the list of ingredients from the NPC, Scarlet noticed that the NPC was still holding a piece of paper, this one different from the one before.

"What's this?" she asked, surprised.

"It's a note to the spices merchant. The store has already paid him in advance for the , so all you need to do is give him the note," the chef replied. Scarlet nodded and turned back to her companion, who was now at the door of the cafe, flicking at his HUD.

*Ding*

Acquired one

Scarlet started towards the door, and walked past a smiling as she noticed the pop-up before her. It was a party invite. She lightly tapped on the check button as she walked past Eléssar and into the nearby street, stretching, all while beaming at Eléssar.

"Alright, it seems that we have the locations of the necessary items. You lead, i don't want to lead you to the wrong way," Eléssar said, dusting his clothing and stretching.

"Well, I'm not too sure how I got here myself, but... Let's go to the market first. We'll pick up the Lutian Sugar before looking for the Elder Forest," Scarlet remarked, showing Eléssar the papers she had gotten from the NPC at the shop, and looking around for the road she had taken while coming here to the . She had remembered a particular house with a small house cramped between several small one, and also a large building with an insignia on it. Where was that? Well, no matter. They could always use the Town of Beginning's meandering roads, which, somehow, all radiated from the town plaza, at the very center of town.

"Eléssar, let's go this way," Scarlet said, pointing to the wide open road the wrapped around the other entrance of the cafe, and from which she could see the Town's fountain, small but utterly distinguishable. "I'm not entirely sure how to get to the Market from here, but I do know that it'll be easier if we go by the Town Plaza, yes?"

He carefully listened Scarlet as she notified him about the plan she just made. He slightly closed his eyes to read the writing on the paper and nodded a yes to what she had just said. '' Market first, got it.. '' he said quitely while watching her, she seemed like she was still thinking about what to do as she kept looking at the empty streets. Then he remembered about Nova, his familiar.

While she was still thinking, he opened his skill menu to summon his familiar, appearing near Eléssar with the shining light covering her body. He slowly petted her head before looking at Scarlet. '' I tottally forgot about her.. Scarlet, this is Nova. My familiar, she is the one who helps me to find my way inside the towns. '' he says with a smile, noticing the glare she gave to him while he said that he forgot about her.

"Eléssar, let's go this way,"

He shook his head slowly down and up. '' Anythings fine with me unless we walk under the sun. I hate walking under the sun. As i said, Nova can help us if we ever lose the location. '' he added with a smile, walking near Scarlet and getting prepared for the long walk ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

"I tottally forgot about her.. Scarlet, this is Nova. My familiar, she is the one who helps me to find my way inside the towns," Eléssar said whilst Scarlet was still searching the road before her. Scarlet turned to catch a glimpse of shining light that morphed into an elegant white lion sporting a lush white coat and sapphire blue eyes. Were it several times smaller, Scarlet might've rushed right over to it and squeezed it so tightly even she wouldn't have been able to let go. Instead, it was a perfect cuddling size. Sadly, the cuddling would have to wait until Eléssar wasn't watching and after the strawberry cake. The only indication of Scarlet's sudden impulse was a faint blush that she successfully hid by turning back to the road, as to prevent Eléssar and Nova from seeing her face.

Scarlet felt Eléssar moving beside her, and peered over at her companion as he spoke. "Anythings fine with me unless we walk under the sun. I hate walking under the sun. As i said, Nova can help us if we ever lose the location."

Thoughtfully, she turned back towards the direction of the road heading for the central plaza, which was really not that far away, and asked, "Nova must be a great traveling companion. Perhaps I'll have a partner like that someday."

After a pause, Scarlet quietly added, "We can get you a sun umbrella if you need one."

"Nova must be a great traveling companion. Perhaps I'll have a partner like that someday."

He nodded with a smile '' She is the best.. Well she can be annoying sometimes but she helps too.''he said before a quite laughter, immediately stopping as he notices Nova frowning at him. Slowly walks towards her after a deep sigh and carresses her head gently. '' Really? I would love to help you with that, familiars are sure helpful in game.. And they are great friends.'' he added while letting go of his familiars white fur.

Catches up to Scarlet once again '' Hah, no i don't need that.. But thanks for considering.'' he replied after a quiet laugh. Noticing the slight blush on her cheeks and smiles while moving his both hands to back of his head for a quick stretch.

Nova ran faster then usual as soon as she found the market they were looking for. Shes stopped and waited for Eléssar and Scarlet to catch up, sitting in front of the market with a big smile.. Eléssar couldnt keep himself from laughing at how she looked like a dog waiting for her prize. '' She is showing off just for you. I think she wants a hug.. Or something. '' he smiled to Scarlet and walked towards the market.

Eléssar's pet Nova moved quickly and was soon far away. Assuming Nova was running towards the market like Eléssar said she could, Scarlet grinned and said, "Eléssar, let's race. I'll see you there!"

Moments later, Scarlet was breathless and at the market, returning Nova's noble smile with one of her own. Eléssar, who was right beside her, laughed, and said, "She is showing off just for you. I think she wants a hug.. Or something."

With that, Eléssar smiled to Scarlet and walked towards the market.

Scarlet blushed beet red. H-he didn't plan this, did he? Scarlet let Eléssar move further away before suddenly hugging Nova, who was as soft and cuddly as she'd expected. She just as suddenly let go, in case Eléssar happened to turn around and see her embarrassing movement.

"W-wait," she called after Eléssar, getting up and chasing after him, and then looking around for the spices merchant.

He yawned slighlty while covering his mouth with his hand and turned to Scarlet with a smile as she walked close to him.. He wasnt looking but he knew what just happened between them. '' So, any idea about what she wants? '' he said while pointing Nova with his elbows after a giggle. He enjoyed having a friend to tease once in a while.Slowly turning to market again he leaned forward to check the items on the glass, running his eyes around the displayed items. '' There it is!''

'' I'll be waiting here while you take the item. '' he added, tapped her shoulder gently and moved back to Nova. Crouched near her slowly and carressed her head gently, his fingers moving back and forward through her soft fur. After a happy sigh he got up and turned back to market.

El, éssar yawned as Scarlet caught up to him. She looked over at him, and thought- She may have just imagined it- a smirk on his face. It was only when he had pointed to Nova, saying "So, any idea about what she wants?" did Scarlet realize that, yes, her was reading her. That day, a flame began to burn in Scarlet's heart, one of embarrassment and an inability to express this embarrassment (through excessive violence) because this man was now a friend, but not closer enough that she could hit him (lightly, LIGHTLY) and get away with it.

"There it is!" Eléssar shouted, and Scarlet turned to look at whatever he was yelling at. It was a store, and Scarlet turned to look for a sign to verify her guess that it was the store of the spices merchant. It wasn't a store for only spices, but a grocery.

"I'll be waiting here while you take the item," he added, tapping Scarlet's shoulder and turning around to dote on Nova.

Scarlet walked into the store, and a bell rung, probably to signify her entrance. The shop was similar in appearance to a grocery store, and was quite busy. Further inside, Scarlet could see rows of tables and chairs arranged in such a fashion that this building could be housing both a store and a restaurant.

Scarlet looked for an aisle that would be labeled as Spices, and went down the aisle when she found it. She looked at the shelf labeled Sugar, and found a package labeled «Lutian Sugar». She took the package to a counter where she gave the NPC the slip of paper from the chef and was permitted to leave with the package. And such was the arduous task of buying groceries.

Scarlet opened the glass door and walked out into the Marketplace yet again. "I have the Sugar," she said to Eléssar. "Let's go to the Elder Forest now. Strawberry Cake, prepare to be eaten."

"Let's go to the Elder Forest now. Strawberry Cake, prepare to be eaten."

He laughed quitely while moving his hand to cover his face and nodded a yes to her with narrowed eyes. Before turning to nova once again,he stopped for a second as he noticed her glaring at him, she looked both scary and cute with the slight blush on her cheeks and the urge of punching something to death.. He shooks his head slowly and walked couple steps forward to save himself from anything to come.

'' Y- you heard Scarlet. I-its time for some action finally.. '' His voice cracked as he and tapped Nova's head while walking pass her. Before clearing his throat to fix his voice, his eyes widened right after a cough as he heard his voice.

After a deep sigh, once again a wide smile covered his face and giggled while thinking about what just happened. '' So.. Scarlet, is this going to be your first combat experience? If it is.. I don't think Munchkins would be a problem.. And Nova would protect us anyways. '' he said while looking at her as they started walking towards the gate.

[OOC]

"So.. Scarlet, is this going to be your first combat experience? If it is.. I don't think Munchkins would be a problem.. And Nova would protect us anyways," Eléssar said, walking up to Scarlet.

Well, this wasn't Scarlet's first fight, per say, but she had no experience with SAO's combat thing much, so she said, "No, but I would like your guidance, senpai."

That senpai part was largely unnecessary, but Scarlet had wanted to try saying it just once. And she did so while grabbing Eléssar's hands in a very anime-ish way, because she had wanted to try doing that just once as well.

"Oh, by the way, do you know where the Elder Forest is? I forgot to ask," Scarlet admitted quietly.

He stopped for a second as she called him senpai, his widened eyes watching her while a small smirk shaped on his lips. It sounded weird for him, her apperance and the word senpai didnt just go well together.. '' I'll do my best to guide and protect you th-. '' he got cut as she held her hands, surprised from her sudden move he blushed slightly and kept on smiling. '' I- I do. Don't worry..And its not really far. '' he added, he couldnt help speaking so quitely.

Moving his hands away slowly, he placed both at the back of his head before starting to walk. He felt a little awkard about what just happened and wanted to move on quickly. '' But i can't say i really fought against Munchkins before.. I'm really looking forward to it. '' he said while turning back to her with a smile, also checking if she was following or not.