Wolftor Pass [OP-F5]

Episode 1: New Wolves to Face

"Ahhhhhhhhh!!!", Argumail awoked soaked in sweat.

"Are you ok, Argumail", Terrence asked

Argumail sat up and wiped his face with hands, he looked at Terrence who gave him a devilish smile and then handed him a towel.

"Terrence? I killed you! How the hell?!", Argumail questioned, he wiped his surprisingly aching body. He wanted to question Terrence more but, he was too fatigue. He looked at the auburn sky through the window, it seem like the same that he lost her under. He turned to see Terrence staring to the same sky. "Hey, remember when we stole Jimmy Stanton's sandwich and dipped it in hot sauce?", Terrence said with a smirk.

"Oh yeah I remember and it turned out the sandwich was for Mr. Dynsen." Argumail laughed

" Yeah, we used to be best friends lets do that again... Lets be that now!", Terrence smiled while stretching out his hand.

Argumail took it and laughed, he looked over the world he had been trapped in. He looked at the once auburn sky that was now crimson fading to black. How could he say no he was alone, I always wished that Terrence hadn't die because they where best friends. He needed someone, and he thanked god it was Terrence.

"Terrence, we're broke and low-leveled, we need to get a job.", He turned back towards him," I know an Info Broker, I'll ask him."

Terrence nodded and walked towards the door, he picked up Argumail's jacket," Let's go!"

Argumail smiled and grabbed his jacket and ran over to the door. They walked the empty streets of the town til they arrived at a place , called Javeron's Salon. As soon as they walked into the bar a man was slammed into a wall. Brawls where come in Javeron's.

" Hey, who wants some?!" a stocky man asked," how 'bout you boy.?"

Argumail smiled," Terrence I'll be back in a second!"

"Who are you talkin..." The large man said before he was knocked in the face by two revolving legs and finished by an elbow in the back.,"Aw!"

"We looking for your boss", Argumail said with a tyrannical smile as stepped on him.

"I'm right here!", a ten year boy spoke out of nowhere," Argumail must you ruff up the help everytime you come here?"

Argumail smiled with a gleam in his eyes, he walked slow towards the boy,"My apologies, my friend... This my freind Terrence", He gestured to his general position and they exchanged pleasantries," I need a job and you are all give me the best stuff. Beverett."

" Oh? Flattery gets you everywhere, but what I have in mind is a litte craz...", Beverett looked at Argumail and then disregarded finishing that sentence," It called Wolftor Pass."

"Wolftor Pass that sound interesting," Argumail said solemnly.

" Yeah, if you want to die," Beverett said and then slipped some of his wine," The story is once upon a time, there was a caravan of merchants and mercs. They were very rich but, the traveling cost them a lot of money, so they mapped the area to find the quickest way to a neighboring city. Wolftor Pass was the quickest way to the city so they decided that was their course of action. When they arrived in the pass the where completely surrounded by wolves, and then they where defeated. They left behind the merchandise. So there are some really go prizes there."

" What the hell are sitting here for?" Argumail screamed at Terrence.

"Wait there is one more thing you need to kill Lupus, Wolftor Pass's area boss, it said that he drops a really rare item", Beverett said with a very solemnly look.

"Then we will kill him too!", Terrence laughed

"Don't be foolish, Those who want too much, usually end up with too little." Beverett said," Be patient!"

" Oh don't get all Confucius say on us! Terrence we march to hell make sure you pack a lunch!" Argumail shouted

Terrence nodded and stood," We will be leaving now! nice to make you acquaintance."

"Take care! you jackasses!" Beverett shouted after as they left. He then took a sip of wine and smile, Argumail's ambition was inspiring he almost wanted to go and help.

As they walked back to the inn where Argumail was staying he felt the wind blow pass them

"It appears the game has just opened up for a strategic check!" Argumail said

Terrence nodded," I feel it too."

Lennoth faced a conundrum. His need for strength for survival and to join in a group to increase his chances didn’t match the individual players that populated the <>. Sure there were some competent individuals and teams he had observed in the field but most groups were already close knit and functional. A new person would add liability and an unknown risk factor to their dynamic. Lennoth didn’t begrudge them of the fact. Were he in their shoes he’d advocate for the same thing. Still he was also to blame. He lacked the traits to initiate those personal interactions, all of his IRL friends had been the one to start building the relationship. He wasn’t an inactive participate but just someone who tended to stay to himself unless called upon.

But in this game, soloing was an extreme risk for uncertain though limited gain. To that end he sought the information broker, Beverett. A pre-teen with a penchant for manipulation and worked a key location. Lennoth had mapped the route to his location ages ago but didn’t bother to use him until now. He took note of a young man exiting the building, who was so engrossed in his own thoughts that he didn’t realize that Lennoth awaited just to the side for him to move from the entryway.

The transition from the buzz of the streets to the natural sounds of such a place was a bit jarring. The system kept the areas’ sounds from bleeding over. It was getting progressively easier for Lennoth to acclimate himself to it so it was a scant thought as he moved towards the smallest figure. A large man that hung near the boy, his eyes moving instantly to the new person moving their direction, moved to place himself in front of but not so much as to obscure the line of sight between the two.

Beverett’s alto voice rung out. â€What can I do for you?†His words were probably meant to stop the approacher from coming closer, in which case was exactly what happened.

Lennox’s own baritone rung out as if exiting a barrel, deep and earthly. â€Beverett I presume? My name is Lennoth and I was told that you were someone who knew of work to be done.†Told wouldn’t be the most accurate phrase. More like overheard but it wasn’t an overt inaccuracy. The speaker just didn’t know his audience held more than one pair of ears.

â€Who was it that put my name in your ear?†He took a moment to glance at Lennoth’s face and decided that he would sooner see a smile from a stone than for him to receive an answer, much less a truthful one. “Never mind. Yes I do have work in Wolftor Pass but you’ll have to work with another player. Goes by the name of Argumail. I would be cautious though. Not only is the area full of wolves and other such monsters but also an area boss.†Beverett described the player that Lennoth had seen leaving the building just before he came and gave directions to the inn that he usually haunted.

After thanking him and internally wondering what will be the favor in exchange Lennoth left the bar quietly, the other patrons scarcely noticing his arrival and subsequent leaving. The <> continued to bustle with commotion of commerce and gossip. Calls for customers and outcried of overpricing were now rote, business as usual. Lennoth’s swift pace brought him to the inn without much tardiness. He knew he needed to hurry and join up with this Argumail fellow before he left. He found the individual outside the inn staring off seemingly in thought. â€Excuse me Argumail?†He waited for the player to turn around before he continued. â€I’m Lennoth. Beverett sent me. He told me you were off to Wolftor Pass. Would you like to party with me and we both go and tackle the area?†He kept his voice even but as inviting as he could. He didn’t wish to ruin this right away.

Episode 2: The New Ally

Argumail turned around to see an enormous lad," No way is that you, Icarus?"

When the man spoke and told him his name. Argumail was disappointed, he looked at him with dark eyes. Then, He told Argumail that Beverett sent him and Argumail began to rattle. " That little basta...", He was going to say but, Terrence give him a disapproving look," Well at least Icarus has comeback from the dead like Terrence over there."

He then looked at Lennoth, he stared into his eyes as if he was searching for his soul. He looked at the young man then he said in his monotoned voice," Well, Icarus lets walk and talk." He need to see if could handle one his insane moments, but he didn't want to scare him away. Balance is key unfortunately, he was not quite sure what balance was.

As they walked Argumail told Lennoth the story of the fall of Cold Judgement.

He patted the gram sword he carried. " ... and then promised myself I never let a party member die again," He said coldy," At any cost even if it is my life,perhaps that is the greatest cost of them all. I would finally have peace."

He wanted to tell his ally more about his former guild without getting all emotionally but, he could feel hot tears rolling down his face and he began to laugh," Why do you punish me so?.... first, Terrence and Now, Icarus. I always thought that my ghosts would never come back to hunt me but, now I wouldn't be surprised if Louise walked up and slapped me."

It occurred to him that Lennoth might not known we he was going on about, He just assumed that Beverett told him everything( that sneaky manipulative bastard). What would be the point of a team if they hid themselves from one another.

He stopped and faced Lennoth and said," Icarus was another victim of the Cold Rebellion, at least I think he was. He was my adopted little brother and a mastered at the Red Eagle style for the spear. He asked could he play SAO with me because of his skills with a spear thought ' What the hell why not?' but when Terrence rebelled I tried to find him but, I couldn't he was..... gone."

He hesitantly smiled at Lennoth, he then proceed to Javeron's Salon. He looked at Lennoth and then at Terrence," Well boys today we feast tomorrow we march...Lennoth is it? Make sure you pack a lunch because we are going to war!"

He patted Lennoth's shoulder and gave him a Robert De Nero... Then walked into the salon. With any luck maybe he could kill that little brat while he was here.

Maybe this was a blessing to make things right: Old face ...New ally.