I've seen in some of the threads down below about how the staff was discussing the crafting of cooking and fishing. Though it's been since late June, and I went back to find the professions page and the Earning a Living quest post to see what's been done, and was wondering if it's been figured out? Can someone point me in the direction or is it still up for suggestions?

I would love to take up fishing, but don't really know how to go about making it useful/helpful even with it being a leisure activities (besides selling fish, but who would want fish besides cooks?)

essentially what it comes down to is what would you do with it. were not against its use but implementing an entire new system into the game has to have direction. Like i responded to the cooking thread, what would you do with fishing? what do fish do for you if you catch them? what does getting a better roll on your fishing mean?

professions have to serve a purpose in game for us to make a system for their use. I welcome any ideas that would contribute to this idea. like cooking, if we see interest in it and ideas as to how you would like it to work, we will review it and discuss implementing a new system to the game.

I’m sorry, the below is just a jumble mess of thoughts, but here's along the lines of what I'm thinking:

A fisher can make oil and bait (I was told that blacksmiths can craft a +1 CD rod). The CD would determine the quality of the fish (bad, good, uncommon, rare). The bad rolls can give small fish that they can't sell so they can turn into bait, or be rolls that determine the loss of bait.

Different baits could be made from smaller fish (the “bad†quality if you allow them to be) to draw in bigger ones, and the quality can depend on if the fish are common, uncommon, or rare (common small fish will snag common big fish, rare would catch rare*). Any other bait, the fisher would have to search for and catch themselves (bugs, frogs, worms, lobster, and crayfish can be used as bait in the real world, so why not in game too?).

*A rare fish bait could still catch a common fish (maybe have an increase of +1), but a common/uncommon fish bait should decrease the chance of finding a rare fish (say a -2CD for common -1 for uncommon to make sure it stays under a “critical�) Maybe Blacksmiths can also make rods that increase CD so their sought after by the fishers?

I was also told that since the fishing profession is more of a supplier one, that it should not be able to give any healing effects or buffs (if we think in terms of fish oil). But I’ll keep them down there just to humor you.

Fishers can supply their catches to cooking and alchemy profession. The cooks can buy both both the fish and the oils for their dishes while alchemy can buy the oils to mix into their potions for some healing effects.

TL,DT;

Make: Bait, oils/supplements

Possible effects:Quality fish (baits), healing/buffs (oils/supplements)

Possible quest(s): Catch X amount of fish, craft their own bait, craft oil and/or supplements

**Possible healing effects: +1 Health, +3 Health, +5 health; +1 (+2, +3) DMG**

**I know that this is going into alchemy territory now, but just thought of adding it in as a possible benefit. With the other professions (established) able to give the players benefits I also was trying to think of a way that fishers can help them too and thought that the fish oil supplements-like items could give some sort of boost or effect. But again, alchemy territory.**

Maybe the CD's can be something like...

1=Lose bait

2-4=fails

5-7=bad quality(if fishing, too small bait; if crafting bait -1 to the next fishing cd)

8-9=Good quality

10=Uncommon quality

11=Rare quality

12= Perfect quality

And with the rare quality bait could add a +2 to the CD for catching, perfect bait a +3, uncommon +1 or something. Or not add in any modifiers at all.

I don't know, I just really want to take up the fishing profession but at the moment it doesn't seem to be able to help in terms of earning col.