[PP-F1] <<Earning a Living>> Quest (Echo)

Its been a few weeks sense this horrible death game began, and Scyom had been hard at work killing and looting all the mobs he could within the starter area. As he walked down an ally way he found the usual quest board and took a look at what was listed. One of the quests caught his attention, it was different from the other quests he had seen that consisted of killing mobs and searching for items. "<>? I can make my own items?" he said confused that there was a game mechanic he hadn't discovered yet. He assumed that because of the class limitations in the game that they also wouldn't include things like crafting, but he was clearly wrong.

After choosing the blacksmiths portion he quickly accepting the quest, he then continued down the ally way into the open court yard and took in the smell of fresh air perfectly simulated by the game engine. He took a look around at all the people, some of which were even smiling, and grinned.

Its been quite some time since I've been away from the Town of Beginning. "I said I was never coming back here, and I still find my way back here." I said to myself, as I walk around the town. I took a look around the town, but nothing sparked an interest to me. I head towards the alleyway, and into the court yard. I found many players here having a fun time in the town. "Everyone seems to be having a blast." I said, as I look at my hands. "Its probably time to advance to the front-lines." I said, as I took a seat by the staircases.

"First things first i gotta get the mats for blacksmithing." He said walking towards the other side of the court yard. He had to get to the nearest cave and kill some of the skeletons in order to get Iron Chunks. As he walked along the walls of the court yard towards the exit he was looking for another player bumped into him and sent him off balance "Hey!" he said before falling and slamming his head on a near by step fairly close to another player. "Could of gotten me killed..." he said under his breath while rubbing the back of his head.

A player bumped into me, and fell and hit his head on a step close to me. Could of gotten me killed... I heard escape his mouth. I start to laugh, and look over to him. "Don't worry about dying here." I said as I caught my breath. "Sorry about that. My name is Echo, what's your name?" I greet the player, as I stood up. I offer my hand to pick him up, as I grin at him. Everyone else around us didn't see him fall, but it still might have been embarrassed for him to fall in front of someone.

"Oh, thanks" he said taking echos hand and standing up trying to play off the embarrassing situation. "My name is Scyom, i was just trying to get to the other side of the court yard so i could get on with my quest." he said fairly embarrassed by the whole situation.

An idea hit me, as I got him off the floor. "A quest I see. Do you need help with this quest? Also its very nice to meet you!" I asked Scyom. I scanned the area around the court-yard, and scratch my head. What quest is this player taking? A quest across the courtyard is where Griswald the Blacksmith is. I start to tap my chin. I then realize, "You must be trying to complete <>" I said, as I lean stood up.

"Spot on! I was just heading over to talk to Griswold before i went off to collect mats" He said with great enthusiasm "and it would be nice to have someone around to help me with it." he screatched his head nervously. "I actually had no idea there was a crafting system until i found this posted on the quest board."

I pat Scyom's back, "Then we're off!" I said, as we head across the court-yard. We made it across, and walk pass the alleyway into Griswald's home. Hey lads, What can I do for you today? he said, as I took a seat on his stool. I motion Scyom to answer Griswald's question. I took a look around his shop, and he has some nifty stuff.

"Nice to see you again Griswold." Scyom waved at him with a friendly smile. "I was looking for a master for blacksmithing seeing how i just got the <> Quest." He took a good look at Griswold's forge and all the weapons and armor hanging around his walls He certainly is a master blacksmith, maybe i can learn something from him. "Well" Griswold said, pausing to take a swing of his hammer upon a red hot iron bar "you've come to the right place" A look of excitement overwhelmed Scyom's face, even in the real world blacksmithing had always interested him.

I could see the excitement on Scyom's face, and I shot him a thumbs up. "Have fun, Scyom." I said, as I leap out of Griswald's window. I pop my head back up, "I'll be back, Scyom. See you later, Griswald." I said dashing to the back of Griswald's house. "Scyom, to complete your quest you must learn the ways of the blacksmith." Griswald said to Scyom. He went to the back room and came back with two steel ingots. "Wih these ingots, I will be able to craft a basic weapon." He said, as he went over to his forge. He slam his hammer at the iron ingots, and suddenly a steel sword appeared.

"See ya" he said waving a hand but not breaking his eye contact with Griswold. He watched Griswold work on the steel ingot and forge it into a sword. "Thats awesome!" Scyom exclaimed pumping his fist into the air. "Now come over to the forge its best you practice in order to learn the craft" Scyom immediately followed with a "Yes sir" and moved over to the forge. Griswold placed another set of iron bars on the anvil and handed Scyom the hammer "In order to forge a weapon you first have to choose what kind you're trying to create." Scyom nodded in reply and turned his attention on the anvil, a window opened and allowed him to choose what type of weapon he wanted, he selected a one handed straight sword as he guessed it would be the easiest to form and waited for Griswold's next instruction. "Now that you have selected the type you have to forge it, hitting the metal along the edge will form the slashing edge, While hitting the top end will effect how good it is at thrusting attacks" Scyom absorbed as much of what Griswold was saying and turned back to the metal. He gave the hammer a few good swings along the edge but missed while attempting to make the point. It was of good quality but could only be used for slashing attacks. "Not bad for a first forge"

I pop my head back at the window, and see that Scyom attempted his first try at crafting. I hop back through the window, and on to the table. "Welcome back, Echo." Griswald greets, and I flashed him a smile. "How are you doing, Scyom?" I asked. Griswald gave me a look, and I took a seat on the chair. "Blacksmith Scyom, is focusing on his crafting. Please let him be." He said, as he took a look at Scyom's progress. Once you've completed a Steel Sword, please call for me." Griswald said, as he went to his back room. I walked over to to Scyom. "You're doing great, Scyom!" I cheer.

Scyom raised his head from his work, "Thanks Echo" he said with a grin. "I just cant get these damn points right on the straight sword. Whenever i try i miss and end up with a cleaver." Scyom moved his gaze back to his work and took the first swing on a new piece of steel. This time starting from the top point down through to the cutting edges. He took few quick swings at the point, once he was satisfied with the shape he moved on to the cutting edge. I got this... as he took the last swing there was a bright light before his work was revealed. The result was a straight sword with an even point to edge ratio. He picked up the sword and looked at his clear reflection in the steel. "Yes! I got it" Scyom turned back to echo before Griswold came to inspect his work.

"Ah Blacksmith Sycom, you've done a great job." Griswald said, as he took the sword from him. He took a few swings at me, nearby me. "Watch it, Griswald!" I said, as I leap back. "Calm down, Alchemist Echo. You've successfully completed the Earning a Living." he said, as he took the sword into the back room. I tried to grab him, but the door shut and locked us out. "There is no way that your quest should be completed. There has to be much more to it." I said, as I scratch the back of my head. I look over at Scyom, and said "Did you complete the quest? Check the logs. Something is off." I said, as I look around Griswald's house.

"Thats weird..." Scyom opened his quest log. "What? it says i haven't completed the quest yet." Scyom looked around confused by the situation. Moments later Griswold opened his back room door holding up two halves of a broken sword. "What happened to it?" Scyom said, eyes widened from the surprise. "You didn't temper the steel while you were hammering it, this caused good stats for the blade but the durability on it was close to 0." Embarrassed by his shoddy work Scyom put down another set of iron bars this time Griswold stayed by to supervise his work.

"You shady old man." I said, as I leap onto his chair. Griswald walked over to Scyom with the two halves, and hand them over to Scyom. "You must forge with your heart, not your hands." he said, as I gave him a confused look. "What's that suppose to mean?" I asked, as I leaned back on the chair. Griswald ignored me, and took Scyom over back to the forge and sat him down. "Focus, Blacksmith Scyom. A perfect weapon or armor for anyone will make you the best blacksmith." he said, cheering him on. "Rock on, Scyom!" I said, as I flash him a smile.

"Thanks for the encouragement." Scyom forced a smile and looked down at the hammer. He looked at it for a few moments before bringing it up in the air. He brought it down on the steel with great force and formed a good edge. He smoothed over the edge with some smaller hits, and turned to the point. He wedged it into a rough point and smoothed it over just like the other edge. "Man this is harder than it looks" Scyom said jokingly to no one in particular. He concentrated very hard on getting the edges right trying very hard to get it right. Sadly because he took so long on the left edge the blade cooled before he could complete it. "Damn it!" Scyom said angrily "Whenever i try and concentrate on the edges the metal cools but when i quickly go over it the blade ends up dull or brittle" Griswold put a hand on Scyom's shoulder "You must forge with your heart, your ignoring that and because of that reason no matter what you do your blades will always come out incorrect." Scyom looked up angry "Why are you speaking in riddles? What does that mean?" Scyom had stood up at this point and dropped the hammer. Still cool and collected Griswold said "I cannot teach you that part, that is something you must learn on your own."

"Psh, heart? I think you just need to focus on what you want to create." I said, as Griswald glares at me. "That is why you're an alchemist, Young Echo." he said, mocking me. I walked over to the forge where Scyom is working at. "Come on, Scyom! Craft that steel sword for the old man." I said, attempting to boost up his confident. Griswald walks over to Scyom, and places two fresh steel ingots. "These ingots I have just received from a player not so long ago. Now use these to craft me that steel sword." he said, as he walk into his back room again. "You got this, Scyom! I believe in you!" I said, as I root for him.

"Okay, i just have to calm myself down, being like this will only break my consentration." he took a deep breath and moved to the window. He looked over to the plaza where people were still at high spirits, if they can be hapy in such a horrible situation then i can definatly forge this sword he moved back from the window and to the forge. He picked up the hammer and closed his eyes for a moment, he could feel his heart in his chest. He consentrated on it for a few moments and abruptly opened his eyes to see his smithing hammer was glowing a deep red color he shouted, "I got it!" right as he spoke he raised the hammer and brought it down right in the middle of the steel bar, his movements became faster and more accurate than they were before. He made a perfect point and quickly smoothed it over before moving on to the two cutting edges, which he also finished with great speed and accuracy. The resulting sword that took shape was both strong and durrable. He picked up the blade and felt the smooth even weight and balanced it on his finger. "Its perfect, i mean its still only a good class sword but its edge and durrability aren't half bad." He said to Echo, very happy with his first successful peice of blacksmithing work.

Moments after, Scyom concentrated his hardest and finally crafted a perfect steel sword. "You did it, Scyom! Now its all for Griswald to decide if you succeed or not. Once you've completed this quest, I'm heading over to your shop for all my weapons!" I said, as we wait for Griswald to approach us. "Well.. Let's see what you have here, Young Scyom." he said, as he took the steel sword from Scyom. He examined the sword, and said "Alchemist Echo, prepare yourself." I gave him a confused expression, and he swung at me. I held up an invisible sword, and materialize my steel sword. *CLANG* Both the steel swords were in perfect shape, and I turned over to Scyom. "Congratula-" "Congratulations, Blacksmith Scyom. You've finally completed the quest. You're now a blacksmith. Reach the ranks of the Master of Blacksmith." Griswald interrupted me, but put his words into use.