[SP-F1] Earning a Living (quest)(COMPLETE)

I woke up in a cold sweat. The nightmare I just left was still vivid in my mind. I shook my head, trying hard to let it go, but to no avail. I jumped out of bed, angry with myself for being this lame.

"Argh! Why can't you be stronger!" I questioned myself.

That's it! You need to do something with yourself! I thought as I equipped my gear.

My gear consisted of leather boots, dark red pants with a belt, and a black shirt. Some basic leather armour goes on when I leave towns. I like to keep my weapons unequipped in towns as well, just to make it easier on myself.

Leaving the room I rented for that night, I headed downstairs to the pub that made up the rest of the building. It was a player owned place, with candle chandeliers over the half a dozen tables scattered around. Some of them had people, who upon seeing me, went into hushed whispers. The gruff man at the counter was the owner, and as I sat down at one seat, he eyed me with disdain.

"Can I help you, sir?" he asked over his shoulder. It was painfully obvious that 'sir' was the last thing he wanted to address me by. But he had a reputation for his buisness.

"Perhaps. I'm looking for a way to keep myself busy. You know of any quests or jobs that fit that task?"

"Well...most quests on the lower floors don't give you much money, and are repetitive. I'd suggest getting a job like a Blacksmith or Merchant like myself. But sadly there are no open positions here."

That last part was a lie. But the rest of what he said made sense. Merchants could go into battle, tell what was worth keeping, and sell the rest for profit. A good combo.

"And if I wanted to get a job like yours, what would I have to do?"

The brute turned to me, a scowl on his face.

He really hates me.

"You'd have to go out and gather the specific materials, and then bring them to a Merchant and they'll craft a basic set of tools for you."

He brought his menu out and a small list of supplies was added to my task bar. I looked at the materials printed.

<<Boar Pelt>> (4)

<<Boar Tusk>> (4)

<<Dire Wolfe's Fang>> (2)

"Oh, and one more thing!" he called as I opened the door to leave. I spun to look at him. "You don't have to bring the materials to the Merchant who gave you the list, any salesman will do!"

"Oh, but I know you so well!" his fake smile faded as I turned and left whatever he was going to say next stay unknown.

The sun was unobstructed as I walked the busy streets toward the city gates.

God, why can't there be some clouds. Seriously, a single cloud would be nice! It was about 8:00 as I left the inn. I shielded my eyes from the glare and continued weaving through the throngs of players going about their business. It was too crowded to get anywhere fast, so I turned off the main road and started cutting in between buildings.

Eventually, I passed through the gates, and equipped the rest of my armour and weapons. I had my scimitar on my hip and my trusty meat hook in hand. I didn't trust walking out of towns without it out and ready. It was originally used to grab product to hang, but I brought it to smiths and they upgraded it to be legitimate in battle. Since it wasn't classified as a weapon, but a tool, I could weild it with my blade in combat, which the monster algorithms couldn't calculate.

Loud squeals got my attention, and two <<Frenzy Boars>> charged from the brush, and barreled straight for me. I shifted my stance, drew my sword, and prepared myself for the fight ahead.

I barely managed to roll out of the way. A second later and I would have been slammed into head on. I landed on my feet and attempted a charge attack. Even if it missed, I could counter with my hook and do at least 1 damage.

I assumed the stance and my blade gave off a deep red glow. Every skill I had was tinted red, strangely enough. Even ones that were normally blue or green. Nobody I asked about it knew anything, though they assumed that some internal strife was the cause. Whatever that meant.

I dashed forward, my blade above my head, ready to bring it down upon the first beast.

<<Frenzy Boar>> 10/10 HP

<<Frenzy Boar>> 10/10 HP

<<Gram>> 20/20 HP

Luckily, the beast was staggered by it's initial charge, and my strike was a perfect hit. I nailed the weak point at the base of it's neck, and added a sweep of the hook as salt on the wound. The boar took massive damage, and was knocked to the ground a few paces away.

The second threat had recovered, and ran up, attempting to gore me with it's sharp tusks. I saw it out of the corner of my eye, but had little time to react.

<<Frenzy Boar>> 2/10 HP (prone)

<<Frenzy Boar>> 10/10 HP

<<Gram>> 20/20 HP

There simply wasn't enough time to move. I was hit from the side. My HP went down only a little, but it was enough to send me into survival mode. This was a battle to the death, regardless of how challenging it is.

I recovered and attempted to stab under the pig in the under belly as it came over to me. It's eyes were dark and cold, with no emotion. Many people see the same in mine.

<<Frenzy Boar>> 2/10 HP (prone)

<<Frenzy Boar>> 10/10 HP

<<Gram>> 18/20 HP

I just missed, and the boar leapt at me, sending both of us into the tall grass. As I got up, the weaker beast had gotten up, and was running towards where we were.

I looked around for the other one, and found it amongst the grass. I was behind it, so I had a chance to surprise it before it's buddy reached us. I got down, and jumped forward, aiming for it's neck. It looked up as I did, hearing my movement.

<<Frenzy Boar>> 2/10 HP

<<Frenzy Boar>> 10/10 HP

<<Gram>> 17/20 HP

I landed just next to it. What luck. I tore my hook over it's side, and it reeled back, front limbs ready to crush my body into the ground. The injured boar heard the other's cry and was on a head long course towards me.

Ugh, this is just perfect.

<<Frenzy Boar>> 2/10 HP

<<Frenzy Boar>> 10/10 HP

<<Gram>> 17/20 HP

Everything slowed down, as if the world were in slow motion. I rolled right as the hooves came down, and I clammered up onto the beast's back, jabbing the meat hook at the base of it's skull. It was dealt critical damage, but not enough to kill it. It panicked and spun around madly.

The wild beast, with me still on it's back, went charging in no particular direction. I leaned to the right, and the pain in it's neck made it lurch the same way. I saw the second animal, and a plan formed. I haphazardly aimed the bucking boar towards it's comrade, preparing myself.

<<Frenzy Boar>> 2/10 HP

<<Frenzy Boar>> 5/10 HP (panicked)

<<Gram>> 17/20 HP

The impact was like a motorcycle crash. When the two beasts collided, I was tossed off. I turned and landed on my feet, facing the accident. But the threat was gone. The force of the blow was too much for them. They slumped forward, and shattered into shards of glass.

A menu appeared showing the spoils. Two <<Boar Pelts>> and four <<Boar Tusks>>, as well as a decent knife and sum of col were sent to my inventory. I could sell the knife later back at town. I took some damage, but it would slowly heal back before the next monster spawn zone.

Double checking the list I was given, I now had all the tusks and pelts I needed, adding the pelts I obtained before today. All that was left was a <<Dire Wolfe's Fang>>.

Finding my way back to the path, I headed for an area full of large boulders. This place had many wolf spawners, so finding one wouldn't be hard. Creeping along one such boulder, I found what I was looking for.

The <<Dire Wolf>> was larger than a regular one, and as such was more of a threat. It was easily the size of a Smart Car, but with razer sharp claws as big as my hand. I would have to injure it from afar to stand a chance at close courters. But then I would have to use...

I opened my inventory and my finger hesitated over the item.

<<Holy Glacier Crossbow>>

Seeing the name, I could hear the sounds of metal striking metal and shattering glass. My mind drifted as the flashback hit me full force. There was no time to react.

"Come on Eric! It's just up the road here!" I called behind me.

"Slow down! Don't...tire yourself out right...before a battle!" Eric's voice sounded a ways off.

"Don't worry about me! These beasts won't know what hit them!"

I came to a stop at the mouth to a large cave. Stones were scattered about in piles all around, and a foul stench wafted from the entrance. It was very foreboding.

"There...you are. I could barely...see you! You shouldn't run...so far ahead!"

I smiled at Eric. He was trying to catch his breath after the little jog they had getting here. His high boots hadn't helped at all.

"Need a minute?" I asked mockingly as he sat down, exhausted.

"Yeah...shut up..." He mumbled under his breath.

We sat there for a while, listening to the wind rustle through the trees. It would have been very peaceful if not for the looming cave before us. After what felt like forever, Eric stood.

"Alright, I'm ready."

"Yeah! Finally! We're wasting daylight Eric!"

"Will you stop calling me that in here? It just reminds me of home..." He looked down sullenly.

"Oh, OK, <>. Arm up." I brought my blade out and got my hook ready. Eric, no...<>, equipped some arrows and his ranged weapon. He got it off a monster drop a while back, and he'd been using it since then. It was called the <<Holy Glacier Crossbow>>. It was a light blue metal with gold trim, and slowed the targets it hit. I had been jealous.

"Ready?" I asked again.

"...Sure."

We were side by side as we entered the cave, the light fading around us.

A loud sound shook me out of my thoughts. The wolf was chewing on some animal bones, crunching them with the fangs I needed. I looked back at the item in the menu, took a deep breath, and equipped it. A faint light cast out as it fell into my hands. It was heavier than I remembered.

I got on one knee, shouldered the weapon, and aimed at the beast's massive head. I needed to weaken it before it got to me.

<<Dire Wolf>> 15/15 HP

<<Gram>> 20/20 HP

I fired. The shot was silent as it flew through the air, and smacked it monster right between the eyes, dealing massive damage. It staggered, and it gave of a soft blue glow, indicating it's slowed state. I turned in my direction and howled, but at a lathargic pace. It bared it's fangs angrily.

I reloaded and aimed again. By now it had turned around and was trying to run at me. Hopefully all my shots would be that accurate. (They won't).

<<Dire Wolf>> 9/15 HP (slowed)

<<Gram>> 20/20 HP

In a stroke of virtual luck, my shot landed at a shoulder of the hulking mass. Due it's low reaction time, it couldn't correct the blow, and landed on it's face. I almost chuckled at the sight.

Focus!

I went back to loading another bolt as the wolf strained to get back on it's feet. Another shot like that could finish it off.

<<Dire Wolf>> 4/15 HP (slowed)

<<Gram>> 20/20 HP

The bolt connected lazily into it's flank, but that was all it took. It tried to get up once more, but gave in, and was no more.

The menu that appeared also told me I had successfully gotten the fangs required. How nice.

"That was easier than I thought." I mused as I put the crossbow back into storage. I didn't want to look at it for a while, unless I needed it.

I could just use a crystal and teleport back to town, but those things were expensive, and I only liked to use them for emergencies. Plus I would miss chances for loot from random encounters. So I left the rocky outcrop and began the walk back to the inn.

The rest of the hike back was uneventful. There was one wolf, but it was fighting another player. He didn't respond to me, but ran off towards a different enemy. How odd. By the time I returned to the inn it was a little after 3, and as I entered, the owner did not look very pleased to see me.

"You're back! What joy!" He had his fake smile on. He was trying very hard to be nice.

"Surprise! Here's the stuff." I traded him the items and he went off to a room behind the counter.

"Alright. Also, I'm spending another night here." I paid up and headed upstairs as he groaned in the back room. I would eat some of the things I kept on me, then head for the next town tomorrow. After how easy the battles have become recently, I knew I should get more for my time. I unequipped the armour and weapons and flopped onto the bed.

Not bad for a day's work.