[PP-F1] On the Evening Hunt [Complete]

Gestein leaned against the gates of the city of the beginning, watching the sun go down as he tried to come up with a plan to level efficiently. Normally, he would have had a chance to use his computer to look up strategy guides and forums to find optimal training areas. Then again, you couldn't really call this situation normal. The veteran gamer was stumped; to go out on his own in the game with no experience whatsoever in a game such as this felt like too much of a risk.

In the distance, he could see a player on the path, trudging back from the fields for the evening. Perhaps, if the player was in a good enough mood, they could tell him a safe place to level? It was worth a shot.

As the player approached, Gestein made eye contact with them and stepped forward to introduce himself.

"Excuse me young man, do you happen to know a good place where I could safely level?" He called out with a wave. "I'm... a little under experienced at the moment." He smiled sheepishly, and placed his hand over the back of the neck where he could have sworn he felt the burning sensation of his pride evaporating. Hopefully he wasn't being too much of a bother.

Gaze was given at the man who had been waiting on the side of the path he was taking. This guy....was HuGe! Klein stared at him for a moment before he could even process the question "Uh..." Was all he could muster out at the moment. He blinked a few times before regaining composure." Sorry man. You wanna level close to town by the gates. There are boars there close to em and you can run to the safe zone to escape any player killers."

He placed his hands behind his head as he looked at him up and down." Dude.. I thought you were going to kill me. "He answered honestly. Truly the man was big." Sorry. I just was caught off guard. I can show you around the area if you want ?It was a gesture to forgive him hopefully.

Cindel caught up to Klein a few seconds after. He was making that nervous posture that he did sometimes. She was getting to know him a lot more, his quirks included. *Well at least he didn't pull his banana down over his face this time.* She switched her gaze to the player Klein was talking to. He was pretty big, ordinarily that's not really uncommon. Huge burly muscular warrior types were a common theme in MMORPG's. But after the big announcement in SAO, the system changed everyone's appearances to mimic their actual looks. That meant this guy really was a giant!

"Hey there big guy! How's the weather up there?" she asked with a smirk as she approached the two. It was a cheesy joke, but she couldn't help herself.

The big man laughed heartily at Klien's admission of fear and clapped his hand onto the young man's shoulder to support himself. It also helped take some of his own nerves away at having to ask for help. "Oh, I'm no killer, just a guy who got a bit behind on experience. For as intimidating as I look, I'm... rather low level."

He took a step back just in time to see the red-clad young man's friend arrive and deliver the classic joke for tall folks like himself. "It's fairly cold up here, actually. I tend to catch a lot of the breeze you shorter folks miss out on!" he quipped in reply with a cheery grin. It was the first time in a while that meeting random people actually put Gestein in good spirits. He extended his large paw of a hand to the pair and began to introduce himself properly.

"The name's Gestein, or you can call me Stein for short. Nice to meet you both! And if you wouldn't mind, I would like to take you up on the offer to show me around. Haven't had much of a chance to fight yet, and I could probably use a few pointers."

He was glad the man was friendly. He turned his head slightly and was happy to see his partner. He listened to the man talk and a slight nod was given to the player." I'm Klein. And this is Cindel." Hand extended to the man and grabbed his paw of a hand. " We will do our best to help you and give you pointers as much as we can. " A smile spread on his face as he tilted his head." But first.. can you tell us what you know ? We can get started after that."

After a few firm pumps of the handshake, Gestein released Klein's grip. "Nice to meet you both." he said as he waved hello to the girl now introduced as Cindel. "I've played MMO's for years before this one, so I know basic strategies and such." He smiled as he went on to list his credentials; all of the games he had played over the years had a certain fond place in his memories.

"I've figured out the sword arts, the leveling system, and fighting in general. It's just... you know. A bit hard to feel comfortable getting out there with all of the risk involved these days." He looked a bit sheepish; an especially jarring look on the boulder of a man. For all of his experience in gaming he should have been right on the front lines, coming up with strategies, scouting out good places to grind, and actually trying to beat the game. Instead, here he was, sitting around in the starting city with very little experience in the levels beyond.

"I don't really know what's out there, but I'd like to get back up on my feet and start making a difference. I just need to grind out a few levels and get some gear." He said, nodding with resolve as he finished the statement. Gestein unlatched his war hammer from its sheath and held it firmly in his right hand. It would feel good to get back out there in the wilds.

"Anyway, If you're ready, I'm good to go. Why don't you guys tell me a bit about yourselves on the way over?"

Cindel listened to Gestein explain his apprehension. She completely understood how he felt and was in a similar spot herself just a few days earlier. Like Gestein she too used to jump right in, grind out her levels and focus on the end game. She usually ended up in some progression guild or started one herself. SAO was different though, it wasn't a game anymore. If your guild wipes on some boss, that's it - you're dead. Trial and error was far more limited here. It didn't help that the last 20 years of MMORPGS just kept lightening player death penalties. It just encouraged more reckless gameplay, something she definitely wanted to avoid here. Sure she could start her own guild. A guild of like-minded people who take their situation seriously. She could probably make a decent guild leader, she had been before. But the thought of being responsible for people in actual life or death situations - one where her decisions could get people killed shied her away from starting anything like that.

Gestein seemed to understand things the same way she did. She shook Gestein's hand using both of hers to do so, then looked to Klein in agreement. As the group began walking she reaffirmed "Yeah, as Klein already said, I'm Cindel, though Cind is fine for short. Nice to meet you too Sir Stein! Since I'm naturally shy, I'm going to let Klein go first." she said with a smile.

He sighed as she knew how to push his buttons already. A grin pressed on his face as he spoke.Well... I'm not much of a mystery like that one..But I work for a small firm part time as a paper pusher. I used to practice kendo a bit and uh.. I live in Tokyo...I hate sushi...and...I can't stand sushi."He pondered what other information he could give but he kinda felt that this was a dating service. He shrugged a bit and spoke again." She is my nemesis and partner."

He started walking to the hill side off the beaten path where he had first met Cindel. It was a fun time getting to know her. With this guy, it would prove interesting to go out and help him " I plan on making a guild.. to help those who want to help and take it to the front lines..we don't deserve to die helplessly. And I'm not going down without a fight."He added to the statement.

Gestein was nothing but grins as he watched Klein and Cindel interact. It was their familiarity with each other that was so entertaining to him. It seemed like they enjoyed playfully pushing each other's buttons. When Klein declared Cindel both partner and nemesis, couldn't help but chuckle.

"Oh, you're from Tokyo, huh? I'm from Yokohama - dock worker by trade, you see. I lift and move boxes from and onto ships all day... or I used to, that is. Kinda explains how I can be so beefy and yet still be a gamer, huh?" He flexed his arms, showing his hard-earned muscles built from years of manual labor - not particularly well toned, but built for pure strength instead of show.

When Klein continued speaking, Gestein stopped goofing around. It sounded like the young man had a good heart from the way that he described his guild. The boulder of a man crossed his arms and found himself resolutely nodding as Klein gave his manifesto.

"I don't intend on dying any time soon myself, young man." He said with resolve. After the announcement, if you had asked Gestein what he intended to do, those very words would have meant something completely different; he had been afraid to die. Despite this world being everything he had ever dreamed of, the grand adventure he had yearned for his entire life, his fear overwhelmed him, and in return he had been left behind. Only now was he prepared to take the risk and fight for his dream - perhaps finding that there were still good hearted people with ambitious dreams was just what he needed to re-awaken his fighting spirit.

Cindel noted it was probably her turn to say something about herself. Normally she wouldn't be too comfortable about it, but Klein was here and Gestein seemed alright.

"Well... Here's my quick summary. Always loved RPG's, been in to online gaming since I was like... well pretty young. I don't speak japanese, know a few words at best. I Was born in Montreal, came to Tokyo recently with my father who was here for business. Felt I should experience more of the world, didn't expect it would be virtual!" she giggled sarcastically. "Oh! - And I love sushi!" she made sure to add with a smirk.

"Klein helped me out when I was wandering around lost and being a noob. He's a good guy." She said to Gestein, while at the same time punching Klein in the shoulder.

He listened to every word of the giant and nodded at his head. Eyes landed on him as he spoke . You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and if you want you can join the guild we plan on building. "It was an offer for him and he could take it or not. Klein was offering to help people who wished to live.

Soon her words would be heard and then that comment was heard. A grin spread on his face as he tapped his chin." If we ever meet in Tokyo...I will suffer sushi for you."He laughed a bit as she punched his shoulder. They were going to come upon monsters soon.

"You guys are good people, you know." replied Gestein with a smile. For having suddenly been thrust into the strange new world of SAO after already being out of her comfort zone, Gestein could only admire her positivity. Klein seemed to have a good head on his shoulders as well. They would make a fine guild.

However, there was one little thing that ate away at Gestein's desire to accept their offer; his own ambitions.

"Back in the day, I used to be a guild leader myself. Surtr's Brood, we called ourselves. Named after the Norse giant that would lead the battle of Ragnarok against the gods. Our motto was simple: We Endure."

Memories flood back into Gestein's mind of the bond of brotherhood that had been forged between him and his guildmates. Their relationships spanned several MMOs and the continents themselves. The Brood had even planned to extend their reach into SAO.

"Unfortunately, I might just be the only member of the Brood that made it into the game. On opening day and for weeks afterwards I searched the starting city, hoping against hope that I would find out that my guildma... no, my friends were alive and well, or even to know if they had managed to avoid logging in." If only it had been raining - perhaps then he could have hid his misty eyes from the people that accompanied him.

"I would sort of like to continue the legacy that we had built." he admitted, though his voice carried a heavy and somber tone to it. Would it be disrespectful of their memories to let the Brood fade away?

"But, I am torn. I would be honored to accept your invitation and build a future with you. On the other hand, I don't want to betray your trust; my goal is to eventually rebuild the Brood, if possible. I just have one question to ask of you both; would you allow me to join with you, knowing that I one day may ask to leave?"

Cindel listened intently as Gestein explained more about his history and guild. She had a guild like that too. A group of friends she played with from game to game. But they weren't here in SAO, she was certain of that. Though the thought to re-create her guild did cross her mind, it wouldn't be the same without her friends that had made it what it became. But she understood where Gestein was coming from.

"Not my call, though I would be okay with it and understand your reasoning. But ultimately it's up to Captain Planet here." she glanced over to Klein. "Either way, the least I can do is add you to my friends list! If you like?" she said with a smile, opening her HUD menu to the friends option.

gestein_add.png

Eyeing the monsters up ahead, Cindel dropped a hand to her sword hilt, ready for combat should they engage.

" That's fine. We all have to leave some day. You can spread your wings and take off when the time comes. Til then, I will welcome you to my guild when you are ready."His words were true. No one needed to be alone in the world. No one needed to fight alone. His guild would offer a helping hand to anyone who offered their hand back for help. Klein was set. He had support and he would take em as far as he could." And we'll still be friends."

[short post. Sorry doing work ]

The misting of the big man's eyes intensified as two friend requests opened before him in short succession. After a quick wipe of his "brow" to clear his vision, he accepted.

"Thank you both for understanding." He said, a beaming smile plastered across his face. Good days seemed to have been few and far between for quite some time, but today was a damn good day. "Send me an invite when you form your guild. I want to be one of the founding members!"

Not known for their subtly, the pack of wild boars ahead of the group squealed loudly as the group came dangerously close to aggroing them. Gestein unlatched his war hammer and readied for battle. The weight of the weapon's satisfying heft was as great of a bolster to his confidence as his new-found party members.

"Until the day comes that we part ways, you can count on me." he said as he took one last step forward, triggering the encounter.

BATTLE START:

Gestein: 9/9

Cindel: 15/15

Klein: 15/15

Boar: 2/2

The big man launched himself into the fray with remarkable speed and intensity. As the dark-green hue of his sword art enveloped his hammer, he ran past the first two boars and made contact with the third, slamming into the bottom of its jaw with a powerful uppercut. The beast exploded into light with a squeal as its compatriots turned their attention to the hulking menace now in their midst.

Boar: -2/2

Cindel was ready for the encounter, having prepared as they approached. Her rapier now in hand, she lunged forth following Gestein's initial charge. She had one of the boars dead in her sight, it would have been a clean hit. Would have had one of it's buddies not charged her flank. Cindel had to sidestep to avoid being hit by the second boar, the act making her miss her sword strike. *damnit, lousy first impression.* She then spun around to prepare for a counter attack.

**Rolling Combat**

rapier_simple_miss.png

BD: 4 **MISS**

---------------

Boar: Defeated

Natural instincts kicked in as he lunged towards the next pig. Blade was instantly seen as he raised it with two hands. This fight would be easy as he smiled swinging his blade. Curved blade swung true to it's mark as the next piggy died shattering into an array of pixels. He stopped short of the next pig and grinned a bit at it." Slaying boars is fun. " His gaze returned to the others as he jumped back.[/]

This was a test to see if they could function as a team, which was working. Klein wanted the right fit for everyone . Get a gauged on how much needed work he had to look forward to. " I'll invite you as soon as we're done here."

Boar 1 dead

Boar 2 dead

Boar 3 2/2

Boar 4 2/2

The two remaining boars suddenly found themselves outnumbered. Instead of surrounding the party like they initially expected, they were now scattered and separated from each other. Instinctively, the two remaining boars turned to face the human that stood between them - Gestein.

With a mighty squeal, the pair of boars charged at the large target in their midst, but the big man was ready for them. All it took was a shift in his stance to sidestep the two obvious charges. Reunited, the two remaining boars formed a line facing the humans as they slowly began to back away, tusks out in the hopes of persuading the dangerous creatures that they were not worth perusing.

It felt good fighting in a group again. "You've got that right!" Gestein replied after his successful dodge. When the first boar shattered in one swing of his hammer, the big man had been ecstatic, but he hadn't let it get to his head. When the boars chose him for their target, he had been prepared - after all, he had been the one that aggroed them - their attack was expected.

However, his excitement finally got the better of his judgement. As he charged once again to attack the boars with a flurry of hammer blows, the boars split ranks and attempted to cut him off from the rest of the group. Unable to commit to attacking one of them, his charge stalled, and his attack failed. At the very least though, it put the boars between a rock and a hard place, with his friends still getting a chance to attack.

"This one is all yours, Cindel!" He called out after turning to face the enemies, pointing to the boar on her left with his hammer as an encouraging gesture. Though his attack had missed, he was feeling good about the way the three of them fought together so far.

"This one is all yours, Cindel!" He shouted. *Oh great now I'm on the spot!* Still Gestein has created an opening for her and she intended to use it. She lunged forward at her foe. The boar was reacting differently though. She never fought this many at once, nor had she done so with three players. Normally they were fairly straight forward, charging and re-charging in an almost joust like manner. But as she closed in on the mob it did something new. The boar sprung to the side and sprinted off. It was playing defensively. That maneuver cost her another attack. Unable to make up the distance herself, the boar out ranged her attack.

She let out a sigh. "Damnit." But kept her guard up, the other boar was still close by.

**Rolling Combat**

rapier_simple_miss.png

BD: 3 **MISS**

--------------------