[SP-F1] Earning a Living

Susan was walking in the streets of the starting city, in yet another dull day. Until now she didn't take act. She worked part time as a shop assistant in a tailoring shop, without actually ever learning anything. This, was wrong, she thought. "Until now I've only leeched out Keiko. I should ask her to teach me..." she continued in her head, taking a street to the right, heading to Keiko's shop, where she worked. The shop was closed for customers, but not for her, that worked there. She stepped in, and said, with a proud smile < Keiko! Teach me your secrets, please. I want to become a tailor! >. The woman looked at her, with a small laugh, answering < Finally you made up your mind >

The shopkeeper looked at her with a proud smile. She was a woman in her forties. She could've been easily her mother < I will teach you, Susan... But you will have to earn it. And with that, I mean that the first duty of a good tailor is to have good quality materials. Otherwise, the armor and clothing we make would be useless, right? >. Susan nooded, listening carefully, as she caressed the hilt of her rapier. She easily understood what the woman meant: she had to fight to earn her materials. Keiko smiled again, opening the door that led outside, saying < Follow me. I'll show you my hunting grounds. >

The young girl had a sly smile, as she followed her mentor. She didn't like to fight, it was... Rather scary. But she was confident she could attack the monsters of this floor. In the end, it was the first floor, right?

So the two walked out of the city, in a nearby hill, where Keiko pointed a monster. It was a big rat < It doesn't look like it, but these drop good starting materials! > she said, smiling. And Susan smiled back, saying < Watch me, Sensei >.

The girl unsheated her rapier, and quickly dashed forward, trying to hit her enemy. But she tripped, and it evaded, making a strange sound, as if it was mocking her.

RAT: 3/3 hp

ATTACK: EPIC FAIL

Susan quickly stood up, panting a little. This was her first combat in a while, indeed. So she looked back at Keiko, that smiled at her, trying to keep her spirit high.

Susan ran towards the rat, again, trying to stab him with her Starting Rapier, the most basic weapon available.

But again, she tripped the very first step, with a solid < Offf~ > as she fell.

RAT: 3/3 hp

Yet again, she failed, with the rat dodging her hit. She panted a little, sincr her stamina wasn't really high, but didn't stop. Right after that motion she quickly initiated another skill movement, tryint to stab it multiple times.

She finally could hit it! She felt the sword stab the rat, and retracted the sword, now reddened from its blood.

RAT: 2/3 hp

Yes! One last hit 'till the defeat of that puny monster! She stepped back and whipped her rapier to the air with a quick gesture of her wrist, making the blood on it drip off.

It was the last hit, if it landed. And it did. The monster disappeared, and no loot appeared, apart from a little bag of money: 15 cor. She smiled and grabbed it, saying < I killed it! But it has no drop... > a little sad with it. The gentle keiko smiled and said < Don't worry, I'll lend you some of mine... The important is that you get the basics. Let's head back now. >

RAT: 0/3 hp

+30 cor

We start to head back to the City, its lights showing the way from the outskirts of it, where we were. I look to Keiko, and ask < Sensei... I know it's sudden, but... Can you talk me of who you were, in the real world? >.

Keiko looks surprised, and says < I... I was a businesswoman. I never was at home, and I liked to play games in my air trips... I was in a flight, when we got stuck. > a sad smile appears in her face, as we enter the shop < I can seek redemption in staying with you, at least... You remind me of my daughter, Kei > she smiles, and sits down to the workdesk < Come here, I'll show you >

Susan nodded, quite serious, as she looked again at Keiko. The woman was once again sewing a cloth with her needle, watching the crafting HUD roll, as she said < It's important that you keep trying, Susan... This is the only way you can level up your crafting profession > she said, smiling < And... Remember, you are good at drawing sketches of dresses. This is the right profession for you, I look forward to wear something crafted from you >

Keiko once again crafted a dress, and gave Susan the needle. Without a word, Susan grabbed some cloth, and selected from the HUD a template of what she was trying to craft. A simple dress, with no particular stats. She initiated the movements, quickly, since these were computer-made movements, but once again she failed. The needle broke.

< Goddamnit! > she ranted, angry, with totally no patience in what she was doing. Keiko chuckled and caressed her hair to relax her < I know it's hard, the first times. But remember: keep trying. Keep trying, and you'll eventually succed. >

Susan sighed and raised her head to watch her, muttering < Yes Sensei... > and once again grabbed a piece of cloth, ready to try, once again.

This time, finally, Susan succeded.

The cloth in her hands transformed in a simple, pink dress. It didn't look like an armor, but more like a casual dress. She smiled, proud, saying < Look, Sensei! > handing her the newly crafted item < Feel it, it's so... Silky! >.

She was mesmerized from how it felt having something made from her own hands.

Keiko took the dress and looked at it. She hit the preview button and looked at her with the dress putted on, and smiled < It feels great. You did it, Susan. You see? It's just a matter of decision. You just have to try, and try, and try. > she nodded, with a smile.

Susan smiled and said < Thanks, Sensei! > and stood up, making a deep bow < I owe you a debt. > she said, quite cerimoniously.

< No, no > shook her head, Keiko < You don't have to bow to me, Susan. You have to stand up proud, and make your way up to the upper floors. > she looked at her, with a smile < You are like a daughter to me. I wish for you to win this game... An old woman like me should stay here, and outfit the adventurers. But you... You shouldn't become a crafter like me. You should craft your own equipment, and use it to become stronger! >