[PP-F1] An Acquaintance (Mayonaka) {COMPLETED}

Amidst the thousands of players inhabiting floor one was the black-haired, amber-eyed Setsuko. Near the center of the town, on a bench facing the currently active fountain, she sat forward, her laced fingers holding up her chin. There weren't that many people surrounding her, but she still found her foot tapping in anxiety. Occasionally, she would catch other players eyeing her, but when her eyes met theirs, they immediately looked away. Isn't that funny? Nobody has the guts to stare me down, or even approach me for that matter. Of course, Setsuko herself didn't truly find it all that amusing; it was too similar to how people treated her in the real world after her father.. Her mind shifted away from the topic as she leaned back into the bench. That wasn't a topic she wanted her attention on. Not now, not ever, though she knew she couldn't avoid it for long.

A deep sigh escaped the girl as she flipped her bangs out of her eyes. I don't want to stay here too long. Just enough to relax a bit. She figured it would be best to begin grinding again soon. Better than wasting away like a third of the players who still found themselves cowering in this town months after Kayaba's announcement. They could do what they wanted, but she wasn't going to allow herself to waste away. Even if escape was impossible, wasn't it better to become strong just for the sake of being strong? Her eyes found themselves closed as she drifted into a sort of nap. Nobody would try to attack her with all of the witnesses around.

The day seemed to drag on before it even began. I was on the first floor again for the same reason as always, I was seeing if anyone need assistance. I didn't help cowards though. There were players who still stayed in the "comfort" of the Starting City because they refused to face this new reality. Cowardice had struck a major population of this town because of the stakes in the game we were all stuck in. I would sometimes ask myself: If you knew what would happen here, would you have still said Link start? My answer would remain the same, yes. To me this was all one big adventure, just like the real world..but different.

I walked into the main part of town to see a girl napping on a bench. She didn't look like any threat to me but to the players nearby, she did. I approached her slowly, unsure of what she would do. When she didn't move I sat down next to her, I was eager to speak to her. I need her to answer some questions for me.

By the time Setsuko's eyes opened again, she hadn't the faintest idea as to how long she had been unconscious. I must have really been tired; I don't even remember drifting to sleep. She wiped the excess water that flooded after her awakening with her right-hand before stretching her arms out yawning. Her head turned to the left to find that the people on the bench closest to her were still there. Couldn't have been too long. When her eyes turned to the right, she was caught off-guard by the sight of something bizarre: another person occupying the once empty space beside her.

Shocked, Setsuko jumped off the bench and took three steps back. Instinctively, her hand found itself holding the hilt of her rapier. With a few deep breaths, however, her grip was relieved and her hand fell to her side once more. "What the hell are you doing?" Frustration and confusion intertwined in the tone of her voice. How long has she been sitting there? She estimated only a couple of minutes; the area's lighting hadn't changed at all, and the fountain was still spouting, meaning its timer hadn't gone off yet.

When the girl beside me woke up a smirk formed upon my face, time for some answers. Dazed, the girl looked to the left then right. She gave me an odd look and jumped off the bench, placing her hand of her sheath. This must be why no one approaches her, she's kinda scary. I thought and stood up. I didn't stand as tall as her but I tried not to mind that minor detail, I looked seven. The players that were eyeing her now laid eyes on me, wrong choice. When I met eyes with them I gave them the worst glare I could, scaring there eyes away from the scene.

With a frown now I put my hands on my hips. What am I doing? Other than breathing and being stuck in this game? I said stubbornly. I eased up a bit, but was still a little frustrated from her reaction to me. I was going to ask you why everyone is so darn afraid of you! I replied tersely and stared her right in the eye.

Setsuko couldn't help but notice the huge height difference between them, a height difference she estimated to be around at least half a foot. Regardless of her height, the girl managed to scare off all but the most intrigued onlookers that had their attention drawn by the sudden outburst. Small, but fierce. She noted. Perhaps she was well-known by the other players, or she was just one of those people who assert their dominance: a female Napoleon, perhaps, even though Napoleon actually stood three inches taller than Setsuko herself, contrary to the popular belief that of his dwarfism.

The girl's frown was met with Setsuko's composed glare. "I think you have your answer." She coldly replied, her voice intentionally monotone. "What does it matter to a kid like you anyway?" Setsuko would have preferred to have left after her previous statement, but she couldn't help but wonder what the small fry wanted.

I think I do, because your so rude. Screaming at me doesn't improve your image either! I boorishly snapped back her. Glaring right back at her I crossed my arms. I'm not a kid, I'm probably older than you! I said with a rather visible smirk on my face. I was fully aware of my height, that didn't change the fact that were practically tearing though each other's insults. How old does she think I am!? The onlookers were back but I didn't dare release my glare from this girl to them.

Is this girl a complete moron?

Setsuko's gaze circled around to find that they held the attention of everyone around them, attention she would rather not have. Don't they have anything better to do? When her eyes returned back to the girl, she was met with an intense glare, as if the girl thought she could turn her to stone if she looked long enough; it was almost chilling how determined she looked, but Setsuko matched the glare with her own. It was only when an unrewarded smirk grew on her opponent's face that Setsuko broke the silence. She simply wouldn't stand for a false sense of pride.

"Listen, runt." Setsuko said for the sole purpose of antagonizing her. "My voice has been calm the entire time. You're the one screaming like a five-year-old, though I guess it's to be expected from a someone with the mental capacity of a five-year-old." Setsuko said without filtering herself. "I don't give a damn how old you are. Everyone is watching you throw a temper tantrum, and I'm the scary one?" The desire to leave it at that was flooding her mind. The crowd's staring was beginning to unnerve her, and her usual composed look was slowly being replaced by one of anxiety.

I had had enough with her insults about my size, calling me a runt was the last straw. My eye twitched when she continued on about how I was acting like a five year old, she even called attention to fact that more people gathered. I took another step towards her and intensified my glare, I wanted badly to scream at the tops of my lungs. I knew that would satisfy her though. Some people looked scared while others seemed to be entertained with our little disagreement. I'm not screaming now am I? I said and kept speaking. It's not a tantrum, it's sticking up for myself. Your the one who went around giving me such nice compliments. Besides, all I wanted to do was talk about the changes in the town yet you refuse me. Is it because I'm too scary for you? I tried to turn my rudeness down a little but I couldn't help it. It wasn't like me at all to tick anyone off without a solid reason.

Setsuko could begin to feel the gazes of the crowd upon her. Their eyes figuratively burned through her like a hot knife through butter. I need to get out of here, now. Setsuko took a deep breath before speaking to her new acquaintance, if she could even be called that. "Alright, you win. I'm absolutely petrified by you." There was clear sarcasm in her voice, but also a certain seriousness. "Now, if we can head somewhere a little less crowded, I'd be glad to start over with you. Just get me away from these people." Between a crowd of nosy asshats and a single feisty girl, the choice was easy.

Please don't try to argue, let's just get out of here.

I was tempted to stand there and continue to argue with her but I could feel the crowd getting larger by every insult. It was serious making us both look bad in this position we were in, if this kept going I would be feared in this town too. Well only if I win! I said and laughed a little bit louder. The crowd started to murmur now, they didn't believe my act. Yes, I would just love that! Your so nice and I love playing games, how could I refuse that?! Oh please take me with you! I exclaimed like a little girl. The act I was putting on seemed to be working, the people surrounding us loosened there threatening glares. She's so kawaii! A woman from the group said and started to walk towards me. Inside I was dying of embarrassment, I was being the opposite of myself to get out of trouble again. My eyes began to widen when the woman touched my hair. I immediately grabbed the girl I was just speaking to and held her hand. See you later, nice to meet you all! I yelled and started to walk, hoping this girl would play along with my performance.

She better follow me of else I'll look stupid...

For a moment, Setsuko was rather confused by the girl's sudden outburst. That was until the girl asked Setsuko to bring her with her. I don't see why you couldn't just walk away with me, but I suppose this'll work nic-. Before she could even finish her thought, she found her hand within her new acquaintance's as she was pulled away from the crowd, pulled away from the people who had nothing absolutely better do but watch the drama of other people. Go find someone else to stare at, tools.

Resisting the reflex that wanted to yank her hand right out of the girl's, Setsuko waited until they were far enough away for before releasing. "I'm Setsuko." Her voice wasn't a cold/frustrated one. Instead, it almost felt as if Setsuko had trouble speaking; as if she was shy. "And you?" She kept her sentences short and sweet, the way she preferred them.

After I turned into an alley with Setsuko I stopped so we could talk further. I was hoping that this time we wouldn't be at each others' throats with insults. Thankfully, no one bothered to follow us after the scene dissipated. To be on the safe side, I peeked my head out of the alley and checked the streets, the were empty.

Hello, Setsuko. I appologize for my actions back there, I only do that unless it's necessary, which it was. I responded, referring to the act I put on. I can't have anyone to dislike me on this floor, i need trust from these people. I say with my normal voice, and a normal face too. My name is Mayonaka, nice to meet you properly this time.

"Alright, Mayonaka. I concur." Setsuko hesitantly replied, her arms crossed and her foot tapping the ground. Although it wasn't very noticeable, her lips were slightly pursed. "I apologize too; you caught me off-guard." In truth, she didn't actually believe she had done wrong by questioning this girl, Mayonaka, for just taking a seat right next to her and waiting for her to wake up. It wasn't exactly common behavior, nor acceptable behavior, though Setsuko supposed it was preferable to forcefully waking her up. You're a bit eccentric, aren't you?

"I don't really understand." Setsuko said, referring to Mayonaka's comment on requiring the trust of the people on the floor. "I prefer them out of my way, hence my initial reaction towards you." She held her head low, avoiding eye contact with the girl. "Enough of that. What did you want from me?" The teenager was pretty sure Mayonaka had given her that reason earlier, but her frustration had blocked off most of what was irrelevant at the time.

As like you I prefer not to make interactions with anyone I don't have to. But it's something I do, I'm probably just the most confusing person here. I like people, but I don't. I stated, trying to steer the conversation elsewhere. I have already gotten my answer. I said to her, not letting her what I was going to ask initially. Instead of asking the same question over twice I asked one the most obvious one that came to my head. Why are you on the first floor anyways?

Setsuko simply nodded at the girl's comment, confirming her earlier theory. So you are just eccentric. Maybe I am too, but we're both different kinds of eccentric. Doing her best to keep herself avoiding eye contact with the girl, Setsuko pinched a small cluster of her hair between her fingers and began to play with it. While two fingers held the hair still, another two from her other hand clamped down on the clump like a straight-iron, and moved along from top to bottom. Every time it reached the bottom, she'd start back over from the top. Stop being so awkward.

"My gear isn't all that great." Setsuko answered her question, still toying with her hair. "I've been attempting to forge something better, but haven't been successful."

I noticed that Setsuko wasn't looking at me when I talked to her, or at all. She also played with her the whole time she spoke. Why is she so uncomfortable? Did I say something wrong? I wondered with a concerned look on my face. I couldn't really understand it myself but I felt like this girl was just like me in this world.

Having gear is up to you, personally, I invested in a sword. But that was mostly because I'm on the front lines, I have to be able to attack. I'm sure that you could make good gear if you tried hard enough though. I offered a smile to try and ease the akwardness.

Setsuko's eyes rose just enough to see a smile upon Mayonaka's face, which she returned with a faint, but present smile. "Thanks," Setsuko said, "I've got enough mats to keep trying for a while. I'd have to have the worst luck in the world if I didn't manage to make at least a new rapier with them." It wasn't often that Setsuko explained herself, but she felt she owed that much to this girl for giving her such a hard time earlier. All she was trying to do was talk to me, and I blew up on her. Setsuko couldn't help but feel a trace amount of guilt stirring within.

"So, is there anything I can do for you? Setsuko raised her eyes, making eye contact for the first time since their dispute. "Perhaps buy you a drink, or go hunting?" She tried to open up to the girl, albeit anxiously. "I owe you that much."

Blacksmithing must be hard, I'm just good when I'm in the field. When you do manage to make something I would be more than happy to buy a new sword from you. Also if you ever need mats I'll provide for you. It's the least I can do for insulting you, I have never insulted anyone like that...I offered to Setsuko, hoping she wouldn't decline my help. Trying to find a profession for myself would be hard since I'm in a guild plus I don't find it necessary for me to have one right now. I thought then pulled my deep purple ponytail in front of me.

I would love to go hunting, that way you can earn mats and I can practice even more. I said. I didn't tell her what I was practicing for, it was a personal promise I made myself. It wasn't in vain to hurt someone though, it was to beat them and prove I was strong. I guess we owe each other then? I laughed and equipped my sword.

With a grateful nod, Setsuko said: "Thank you, but I couldn't accept materials from you." The thought of accepting her help wasn't one that she welcomed. She had to prove her worth on her own, regardless of the other's of anyone she met along the way. I have to prove I'm not a burden.

"I suppose we do." Setsuko said with a somewhat forced, faint smile. "Where do you want to go?"

I was a little offended when she didn't accept my offer for materials, it's not like I needed them. I decided to just let the issue go away on it's own without pushing further. She smiled a bit and asked where we should go. We should go into the fields, fight some boars. Maybe go into the forest and kill some dire wolves while were at it. I said like it was nothing, which it for me to fight low level monsters. Are you okay with venturing outside today? I said teasingly.