[PP-F3] Search for the Hoya (Daeron)

Pepper stared at the Forest of Wavering Mist. It was late at night, and she flinched as she heard a scream echoing through the forest. She looked at her hands, remembering her real mother disappearing. She hadn’t seen it, but she did in her mind. She must’ve screamed.

“Stupid Daeron, Mommy told me he was always late,†she grumbled. She checked her private messages, then her friend list to search for Daeron. He seemed to be nearby. She suddenly felt dread.

“What if… what if I’m not strong enough?â€

Daeron hid behind a tree as he heard her say that she wasn't strong enough. Slowly, he crept up behind her hoping she wouldn't notice. "Well if you aren't strong enough, then I'll protect you. I mean, I'm on the front lines with everyone else. And what's this about me being 'stupid'?" he asked Pepper laughing while patting the top of her head.

He sent the small girl a party invite as he looked at the forest's entrance. He remembered when he entered there last time, he had also helped a player search for the Hoya Pendant as well. It was a near death experience, but he's ready for it this time he thought.

Pepper nearly jumped out of her skin. “Don’t scare me, you big dummy!†she snapped, whacking his arm. She accepted his part request and puffed up her cheeks while crossing her arms. However, her harshness was just a mask. She did like Daeron, actually. She wouldn’t call him Daddy just yet, though. After all, he and Oske weren’t married. Her Mama and Papa were married, before Mama…

Pepper swallowed, tears in her eyes. She then started to march forward. “Come on, let’s go!†she snapped, willing herself to be strong.

“You know,†Pepper said, suddenly in a dark voice, “she’s not my real mother. And… I’m not really an NPC, of course. But you knew that already, didn’t you?â€

The labyrinth began, and she started walking absentmindedly through it. Her silky hair blew in the cool breeze, and a monster appeared. It was a strange bat-like creature with horns on its head, like a bull. She readied her sword, and slashed. However, the bat-bull dodged with a flap of its way-too-small wings and made a grunting sound as it flew at her.

Daeron saw as the monster of the maze stood before the girl. He then ran in front of Pepper as he swears to protect her with his life. He was ready to jump for her at any moment. "Don't worry Pepper, I will be here for you." he said as he jumped at the monster, swinging his weapon in a diagonal motion. The weapon slashed across the monster's chest leaving a huge drop in the monster's HP bar until it was fully depleted. Since the monster was only on the third floor it was an easy fight for Daeron since he can take out anything in one hit up to the third floor with a perfect critical.

Battle Dice: 10

Damage Dealt: 9 Damage

Daeron: 43/43

Pepper: 7/7

Bat Monster: Dead

Pepper snorted, rolling her eyes. “I could’ve taken care of it myself!†she snapped, even though she knew it wasn’t true. She continued to walk ahead, pushing past Daeron with her sword tightly gripped by her little hand. Terror flashed behind her eyes, imagining Daeron shattering into little bits before her. Disappearing. Gone forever.

Just like Mama.

She tried to make her mind stop wandering—she had things to do. Pepper paused. “Though, now that you know I’m not an NPC, there is the possibility you’ll kill me in here, isn’t there?†she added.

Daeron looked at the girl with widened eyes. He was confused why she thought that. "Pepper, why do you think I'd do that? Not only would I hurt you, kill you, but I'd hurt your mommy and kill a part of her too. I just couldn't do that. Plus I don't believe in killing children. I have siblings of my own in the real world." he said to Pepper looking around to see which way was needed to be taken next to get closer to the center of the maze.

Pepper paused when she heard Daeron say this to her. However, she had a hard time believing it. All she could see was herself, standing outside of the doorway to the floor one boss… But it wasn’t that was killed her mother. She watched as Mama fought furiously, and when she got to the second floor, she watched in horror as just as she stepped out of the safe zone… someone who was supposed to be her teammate killed her, right in front of Pepper.

Pepper snapped out of it when a stone tomb appeared before her. “There it is!†she exclaimed happily, ignoring Daeron and running ahead of him into the temple.