[PP-F01] Troll after dark (Nari-Lanreth)

Fae listened to her friend's advice,  intently watching the large figure of the troll for any sign of an attack. Nari was right, calm and focus would be the difference between victory and death, and Fae had no intention of the latter. Letting her mind clear Fae didn't respond to the advice instead waiting for the moment the troll swung its large club at her horizontally. Taking the opportunity Fae brought her blue sword up to block the club, feeling it in her arms and legs as she nearly lost her footing from the heavy blow before running forward a similarly bringing her sword into a slash across the creature's gut, the blade passing through its hide with more resistance than she remembered. Fae could feel that with every blow on the troll's  green hide it was getting harder and harder for her blade to pierce.

Fae focused on her breathing as she sidestepped the troll's heavy attacks, making sure that it only met ground or air with every swing. She could feel how much she had improved since she first encountered the Stone Troll with Kas two years ago, she couldn't imagine having withstood any of the creature's attacks back then, but now she could take multiple hits and still be standing, and more so could actively avoid them. The revelation wasn't one that Fae knew how to feel about, she was stronger sure, but she wasn't feeling the same satisfaction from it that she would have expected, she was able to fight with this once monstrous creature, and yet there were still things out there so much more powerful than even it, and people who could do things that Fae didn't think she could ever dream of. Fae looked back at Nari taking in the higher level player, a mix of emotions playing on her face before turning her attention back to the troll, sidestepping another errant swing.

Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 84/100 (-8) | EN: 15/28 (+1, -4 )| DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3

Stone Troll | HP: 115/150 (-17) | DMG: 20 | MIT: 12 (+1)

Heavy Strike: On a natural roll of 10, the Stone Troll Stuns their opponent. You are Stunned for one turn.
Troll Skin: When struck by a weapon, this creature naturally hardens itself. Each consecutive attack adds +1 mitigation, indefinitely.

Round 7

ID213981 | BD: 8 | <<ST-1 Vs. Stone Troll>> | Hit! 7*4 = 28-11 = 17 | MD: 6 | Hit! 20-12 = 8

(Dice Roller States that the attack was a Tech-A but that was an error is should be an ST-1)

Spoiler

Word Count: 320

Edited by Faerie

Nari gave a small cheer as the girl landed a hit, the strike taking another small portion of the troll's health points away. Although it was small, it was already a good chunk from where the creature had been mere moments ago - something that Nari was happy to see. Progress, that's all that matters...even if we're here for a few days...well, it won't last that long, but still. She felt herself smiling, simply happy to see the improvement in the other player. 

"Nice hit, Fae! Just keep it up and the thing will be down in no time, right?" She grinned widely at the other player as they continued to dance and move around the troll. At her side, her scythe itched - a desire to step in and help held back only by the fact that Nari didn't want to break the promise she'd made to the player. Patience. It's not your fight. Don't forget that.

Combat
Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP84/100 | EN: 15/28 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 98/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Bld: 48 | 

Stone Troll | HP: 115/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 12
Heavy Strike: On a natural roll of 10, the Stone Troll Stuns their opponent. You are Stunned for one turn.
Troll Skin: When struck by a weapon, this creature naturally hardens itself. Each consecutive attack adds +1 mitigation, indefinitely.

Nari holds her attack.

The small cheer from the purple haired girl in the sidelines did a lot to raise Fae's confidence as she parried another of the troll's blows, and the encouragement that soon followed increased that feeling. A smile kept across Fae's face as she thought of the last time someone was cheering for her on the side lines, the picture of the blonde man in full plate jumping up and down at her first kill was an odd one, but one that made Fae happy. "You know, you remind me a lot of my old friend." Fae dove towards the troll slashing her sword through its thin taught flesh. "He was always a good cheerleader." Fae glanced over at Nari a smile on her face, something that Fae couldn't say she had had for a long time. 

The brief distraction was enough for the troll to swing its club at Fae, not leaving enough time for her to dodge out of the way. The club collided with Fae sending her flying through the air, the long strips of fabric on her half cloak fluttering in the wind like a pair of fairy wings before she landed at Nari's feet. Pain in Aincrad was dampened to an extent that most attacks weren't that painful though they still stung, and this was no different as Fae winced smile still faintly on her lips as she looked up at her higher level friend, the telltale red of embarrassment beginning to creep onto her face.

Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 73/100 (-9) | EN: 12/28 (+1, -4 )| DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3

Stone Troll | HP: 99/150 (-16) | DMG: 20 | MIT: 13 (+1)

Heavy Strike: On a natural roll of 10, the Stone Troll Stuns their opponent. You are Stunned for one turn.
Troll Skin: When struck by a weapon, this creature naturally hardens itself. Each consecutive attack adds +1 mitigation, indefinitely.

Round 8

ID214015 | BD: 8 | <<ST-1 Vs. Stone Troll>> | Hit! 7*4 = 28-12 = 16 | MD: 9 | Minor Critical Hit! 21-12 = 9

Word Count: 250

Edited by Faerie

Fae had turned to Nari, just long enough to fire off a single quip. One which spoke to a reminder of someone long gone, and which brought a slight pull to the grin on her face, as if dampening the smile slightly. She was considering answering the jest in kind, continuing the good humour that had been developing between the two individuals. Her words were taken away, however, as the girl simply disappeared from the position she'd been standing in mere seconds ago. Nari stood still, mouth open and head cocked as she tried to register what had just occurred, her mind slow to process everything before her.

"Fae...? The trolls not dead yet..." Nari's eyes shifted around the area, eventually finding the girl on the ground several steps away. She'd just begun to pick herself up, and appeared more than slightly dishevelled from being tossed by the troll. "Ah...I would recommend...not that."

Her eyes turned back to the troll, realising that she would need to distract the creature at least for a moment in order to allow the other player time to recover from the dilemma of being tossed across a field. Stepping forward, she raised her hand and gave her scythe a soft spin, grinning as she moved towards the troll itself. "Alright ugly, I can't outright kill you, but that doesn't mean I can't make you wish you'd never been born."

Combat
[3] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 73/100 | EN: 15/28 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[2] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 97/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Bld: 48 | 

Stone Troll | HP: 91/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 14
Heavy Strike: On a natural roll of 10, the Stone Troll Stuns their opponent. You are Stunned for one turn.
Troll Skin: When struck by a weapon, this creature naturally hardens itself. Each consecutive attack adds +1 mitigation, indefinitely.

ID214021 | BD: 7+4 = 11 | <<Basic Attack vs. Stone Troll>> | Hit: 20-12 = 8 damage

Despite the situation Fae couldn't help but let out a small chuckle as Nari looked around for her, before her eyes finally landed on the prone Fae on the ground. "You know, I don't think I ever thought of that, I'll have to try that next time." Fae shifted all of her weight onto her back and swung her legs up quickly flipping herself back onto her feet in a crouch watching as Nari easily swept her curved polearm through the air into the troll, doing almost as much damage as her without even using a sword art. Fae stood in her crouch eyes wide mesmerized by the casual way that the purple haired girl in front of her swung her weapon making the act of fighting look like a work of art. 

Hoping Nari hadn't noticed the pause and staring Fae launched herself forward swinging her own blade through the air, the blue crystal like blade refracting the light around her strike as she cut through the troll's quickly thickening hide. Now that Nari had joined the fight, what inkling of fear had been in Fae's heart and throat all but disappeared, leaving her with a contentment that she couldn't fully name. "That's a little dark there Nari, We aren't torturing him, just showing him to a nice little dance." Fae punctuated the jest with a twirl that caused the fabric on her back to unfurl like wings bringing her sword down just inches away from the troll's body. 

Spoiler

[5] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 65/100 (-8) | EN: 9/28 (+1, -4 )| DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[2] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 98/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | Mit: 30 | B. Healing [+46] | L. Momentum: 1 | LD 4 | BLD: 48 |

Stone Troll | HP: 78/150 (-13) | DMG: 20 | MIT: 15 (+1)

Heavy Strike: On a natural roll of 10, the Stone Troll Stuns their opponent. You are Stunned for one turn.
Troll Skin: When struck by a weapon, this creature naturally hardens itself. Each consecutive attack adds +1 mitigation, indefinitely.

Round 9

ID214040 | BD: 6 | <<ST-1 Vs. Stone Troll>> | Hit! 7*4 = 28-15 = 13 | MD: 6 | Hit! 20-12 = 8

Spoiler

Word Count: 250

Edited by Faerie

Nari grinned as the girl rose to the occasion once more, calling out a jest in return to the commentary that Nari had let slip from her tongue. She'd begun her assault against the troll in earnest - refraining from using any of her skills, as she didn't want to immediately overwhelm the thing - but she was putting it on the defensive as she whipped through a series of spins and strikes, never quite letting herself stop moving, even as she called out to Fae in return.

"Yeah...maybe, but...I'm a reaper! My job is to end things, to bring them...to their final moments! And then to...guide them to the life beyond!" She felt her scythe's tip scrape across the troll again, deflected by a sudden lift of it's arm, forcing the weapon upwards. Nari let the momentum carry her into another spin, coming back around and driving the tip into the troll's side, before wrenching it back out. "I think I've pissed it off a bit, what do you think?"

Combat
[3] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 65/100 | EN: 9/28 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[4] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 97/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Bld: 48 | 

Stone Troll | HP: 73/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 16

ID214106 | BD: 3+4 = 7 | <<Basic Attack vs. Stone Troll>> | Hit: 20-15 = 5 damage

Fae slipped narrowly out of the way of another downward club swing, the green fabric flowing behind her, giving her the visage of a tall, lean fairy. It was clear that Nari wasn't fighting as strong as she could, and Fae was certain that if she was the troll would have met its untimely end long before now with how much damage she could do so casually. The thought was comforting, the troll that was so strong and scary to her only this morning was beginning to feel like a distant memory, replaced by the sight of purple hair and glinting metal spinning, making the troll look weak in comparison. 

"I have always thought of reapers as guardians of life, not the takers. A reaper doesn't end one's life, but acts as a companion in the transition to the end, a support. I like to think of them as not the harbinger of the end, but the bringer of something new. I guess everyone sees things a little differently." Fae looked at the woman fighting alongside her affirming her opinion, if Nari was a reaper then she knew that she was right. Nari was here bringing Fae a new beginning not marred by the thoughts and inferiority that the past brings. "He definitely looks angry, and I would be too if you kept hitting me so casually." 

Spoiler

[5] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 65/100 | EN: 8/28 (+1, -2 )| DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[4] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 98/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | Mit: 30 | B. Healing [+46] | L. Momentum: 1 | LD 4 | BLD: 48 |

Stone Troll | HP: 73/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 16 

Round 10

ID214110 | BD: 3 | <<ST-1 Vs. Stone Troll>> | Miss! | MD: 5 | Miss!

Spoiler

Word Count: 227

Edited by Faerie

Her dance around the troll had continued, with her scythe glancing off the harder portions of its skin - portions that she knew she couldn't penetrate with her weapon, but that were getting in the way of her regular strikes. "This one...does not...want to go down."

Her voice was strained as she pushed her attack harder, speeding up her movements in an attempt to overwhelm the troll. She could see Fae stepping back slightly, giving her room to move for the moment, before Nari herself stepped back from the troll. Sighing, she brought her scythe up behind her, settling into a ready position before casting a glance over at Fae.

"I agree, they're ferries of life, that come to accompany you towards your new destination. But...they are also the ones who take the life, ending what once was, to lead you to what is to be. Whether that is somewhere pleasant or not...well, that is a different situation..." She turned to face the Troll again. "I believe that Reapers are beings who end your life. Which is not...necessarily a bad thing. Everything must come to an end, and wouldn't it be better if the one ending it was the one whom you crossed to the new path with...?"

Combat
[3] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 65/100 | EN: 9/28 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[4] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 96/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Bld: 48 |  -2 EN

Stone Troll | HP: 73/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 16

ID214111 | BD: 1+4 = 5 | <<Basic Attack vs. Stone Troll>> | Miss [-2 EN]

Fae listened to Nari as she explained her thought process, interested in what the woman had to say making sure to dodge any attacks that aimed their way. "I definitely agree, I don't think reapers deserve the bad credit they get all the time, I can't imagine the kind of loneliness that would come with ferrying the dead to the after life." a somewhat somber expression passed briefly over Fae's face before she shook her head "Well Ms. Reaper, thank you for helping me ferry this wayward soul to his rightful place in the after life." Another strike of the club landed close to Fae and she took this opportunity to jump on it, running up the arm of the troll and flipping over its head, bringing her sword streaking down to leave a red line over its bulbous nose. 

Fae landed gracefully on the ground behind the troll, running a few more steps before turning around to face the troll flanking with Nari who was on the other side. Fae brought her sword up, blocking her body as she stared down the large creature before her, ready to attack in tandem with her current partner.

Spoiler

[6] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 65/100 | EN: 3/28 (+1, -4 )| DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[4] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 96/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | Mit: 30 | B. Healing [+46] | L. Momentum: 1 | LD 4 | BLD: 48 |

Stone Troll | HP: 61/150 (-12)| DMG: 20 | MIT: 17 (+1)

Round 11

ID214110 | BD: 8 | <<ST-1 Vs. Stone Troll>> | Hit! 7*4 = 28-16 = 12 | MD: 2| Miss!

Spoiler

Word Count: 196

Edited by Faerie

Nari's attention was torn between focusing on keeping the troll from moving, while listening to the commentary of Fae. She hadn't ignored the girl - not in reality - but she found herself lost in thought as she considered the loneliness. She didn't like how close to reality that comment had been, and found herself trying to continue her happy expression, even as the words stung at her. 

"Well, it may be a bit lonely, I guess. But no one could say that it's not worthwhile..." Her words were a bit soft, just barely audible enough for the other girl to hear. Giving a soft sigh, Nari launched another strike against the troll, slicing into the side and causing a minor amount of damage - the natural hardening of the creature starting to make her attempts less and less effective. "Sheesh, at this rate I'll have to use an actual art to do anything to this guy..."

Combat
[6] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 65/100 | EN: 3/28 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[6] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 97/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Bld: 48 |  +4 EN -1 EN

Stone Troll | HP: 58/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 18

ID214165 | BD: 6+4 = 11 | <<Basic Attack vs. Stone Troll>> | 20 - 17 = 3 damage

Fae was oblivious to the pause and hesitation in her friends voice as she got ready to face the troll again not looking as she kept up the conversation. "Definitely not, I have respect for them, a deep one, I couldn't imagine having to go to a new beginning after life all on my own. Sacrificing their own eternal rest to guide others through an otherwise perilous journey. They really are the unsung heroes in a lot of folktales." Fae smiled widely at Nari from the other side of the troll before swinging her sword at it leaving a streak of bright red across its back.

"I can't imagine that he would survive you even using a sword art, though I think I'm spent, and my regular attacks won't go through its hide in any meaningful way at this point." Fae dodged back as the troll turned to face her a snarl on its thick misshapen face as it realized what dire straits it was in. "Why don't you show a low level player like myself what a real frontliner is made of?" Fae wasn't sure if her attacks would be able to slice through the creature's hide in the first place, and even if they did, they wouldn't do enough damage for it to matter at all.

Spoiler

[8] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 57/100 | EN: 0/28 (+1, -4 )| DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[6] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 97/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | Mit: 30 | B. Healing [+46] | L. Momentum: 1 | LD 4 | BLD: 48 |

Stone Troll | HP: 44/150 (-14)| DMG: 20 | MIT: 19 (+1)

Round 12

ID214259 | BD: 9 | <<ST-1 Vs. Stone Troll>> | Minor Critical Hit! 8*4 = 32-18 = 14 | MD: 6 | Hit! 20-12 = 8

Spoiler

Word count: 218

Edited by Faerie

Nari let herself step back from the troll for a few seconds, taking a moment to rest and to consider Fae's proposition. She could see that the other girl was beginning to get worn down, even while the troll was hardening itself even further. There was no doubt in her mind that soon, the other player would have difficulties overcoming the thick hide - making this fight a grind to the death, quite literally. She hadn't wanted to get involved unless Fae had shown that she needed help, a promise that she had made to both the other girl and herself. But, she's asking for it now. You can't ignore that. Besides, you both know what's going to happen if we just let her assault it pointlessly...it's not worth it. Nodding, mostly to herself, Nari swung the scythe back behind her into her ready stance. She focused on the sword art that she wanted to use, bringing it up in her mind and activating it through the system itself.

"Alright. This is how the frontliners fight, to a degree..." She stepped forwards and let the scythe swirl around, bringing it into a wide arc as she aimed for the troll's centre of mass. She wanted to be near perfect with her strike, hoping to end it in a single blow. Even if it's gaining defence as we strike it, this sort of attack should instantly end it...with what little health it has left. She hoped that she was right in her estimation, but figured there was no harm in trying.

Her effort, however, went to nothing as the troll suddenly leapt backwards, her scythe missing by a far margin as the creature seemed to sense the incoming danger. "Ah...alright...well, let's try that again then. Can you distract it for a second?"

Combat
[6] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 57/100 | EN: 0/28 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[6] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 96/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Bld: 48 |  +4 EN -2 EN

Stone Troll | HP: 44/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 19

ID214260 | BD: 1+4 = 5 | <<Tech-G vs. Stone Troll>> | Critical Miss [-2 EN]

Fae couldn't help but let out a laugh as the troll seemed to easily dodge Nari's attack, she knew that it was probably just blind luck based on how easy the combat had been for the higher level player so far, but the timing couldn't have been more perfect. Trying to hold in the laughter Fae heard the request for her to distract the hulking beast "Hey ugly, Why don't you pick on someone a bit more your size." A rock sailed through the air from Fae's hand bouncing off of the thick hide on the back of the troll's head. It was when the troll turned around, eyes a deep red and nostrils flaring through a snarl that it really hit Fae what distracting the behemoth meant.

Eyes wide Fae watched as the troll's club came down in a split second, though it felt like it was moving in slow motion to Fae. The crack of the club reverberated off of the cliffs and stone that surrounded the three combatants, knocking Fae to her knees as she stared up at the troll, readying another attack to send directly at her. The fear crept back into Fae's heart in an instant as the sun silhouetted the creature, the scene of Lightbringer's final moments playing in her head, and the sound of the thud as his body hit the floor behind her as she ran. Fae didn't realize that a tear was running down her face as she sat frozen staring at the troll that had been a joke just moments before.

Spoiler

[8] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 49/100 (-8) | EN: 0/28 (+1, -2 )| DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[6] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 96/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | Mit: 30 | B. Healing [+46] | L. Momentum: 1 | LD 4 | BLD: 48 |

Stone Troll | HP: 44/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 19 

Round 13

ID214261 | BD: 4 | <<Basic Attack Vs. Stone Troll>> | Miss! | MD: 8 | Hit! 20-12 = 8

Spoiler

Word Count: 261

Edited by Faerie

Fae had successfully distracted the troll, the creature turning to face the newer player before slamming its club into the girl's body. Nari felt herself wince slightly in response, but knew there was nothing she could do. Fae wasn't necessarily far from death, but she also wasn't in a position where Nari needed to be entirely worried - yet. Let's just...take this thing down quickly, and then we don't need to worry about who may or may not die, okay? She lifted her scythe, bringing the weapon up and around into her typical ready stance. She gave a soft sigh, before lifting her right arm to balance herself - holding the palm outwards towards the troll as if she were going to pet it.

"Alright, let's do this." She stepped forward towards the troll, letting her feet sliding just above the ground as she picked up speed. She wanted this to be over quickly, so that she could ensure Fae's safety - but also so that she could give the girl a bit of closure. An end to the creature that had haunted her past for...well, for longer than either of them would've liked, most likely. She crossed the distance silently, her steps the only sound of her approach - a sound that the troll seemed to notice, and turned towards. Nari, however, was expecting it's reaction. She let her first slash go wide, pushing the troll back, before following up with a shallow instep and lateral slash across it's shoulders - missing by mere centimetres, but pushing the creature further off balance as it tried to escape her wrath. With a speed that she had withheld earlier, she let the scythe flow through the forms that she had practiced, twisting from an underhand jab into a full-height twirl, and back down into a momentum-based slash from her left side - all before letting the weight of the scythe slip through her hand at the last second.

Whether the creature was shocked or not, Nari will never know. All that she knew was that it had looked down as the scythe had suddenly pierced through it's right side - the blade burning with a violet flame as it slowly crawled up the troll's side. She a single moment to speak before the creature exploded into shards; her words soft against the otherwise quiet air. "I give you rest, so that you may join that from which you were born...return henceforth, in peace..."

Combat
[6] Faerie | Lv. 5 | HP: 49/100 | EN: 0/28 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 12 | LD: 3
[8] Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 41 | HP: 840/840 | EN: 84/98 | ACC: 4 | DMG: 20 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 30 | B.Healing [+46] | L.Momentum: 1 | LD: 4 | Bld: 48 |  +4 EN -14 EN

Stone Troll | HP: 0/150 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 19

ID214267 | BD: 3+4 = 7 | <<Tech-G vs. Stone Troll>> | Hit: 20 x 16 + 56 - 19 = 357 damage 

Fae watched as the troll standing menacingly above her exploded into glittering shards, leaving just Nari standing before her, blocking out the sun, the scythe she twirled finishing its arc to rest gracefully. Fae knelt staring up at the woman who had killed the troll in one final swing, staring, cheeks still wet with tears. The paralysis from fear was gone along with the troll, and was now just replaced with awe for the reaper in front of her.

Fae realized suddenly that she was staring and grew red in the face with embarrassment, getting up quickly she brushed the dirt off her pants and cloak making a point not to look Nari in the eyes. "Thank you for your help Nari, I feel a huge weight of my chest with that thing gone. I couldn't have done this without you." Fae braved a look at Nari hoping that her embarrassment and awe wasn't too obvious in the somewhat awkward silence that followed the intense battle, at least intense for Fae.

Spoiler

Word Count: 171

Edited by Faerie

She breathed a sigh of relief as the shards glittered in the air around her, falling towards the ground before disappearing from sight entirely. She'd known that her strike would end it - the system wouldn't allow it to happen any other way, even if there were some creatures that could regenerate. Still, there as a relief to be felt when the expectations actually came true, allowing her to step back and revel in the safety that came with the end of a conflict.

"Hmm...? It's no problem, at all. Truly, I'm glad I was able to help...I know how sometimes the past can hold us back, and not allow us to move forwards..." She thought back to her own past, the ways in which it had effected her abilities, limited her for so long. Still limited her, if she was being entirely honest with herself. She'd hated that feeling, the feeling like she still wasn't good enough, wasn't ready to face the world that they were trapped in. I shouldn't tell her that the feeling never goes away...it's always there with you, in the back of your mind. Instead, she smiled at Fae, holding out a hand in offer to the other girl to pull her to her feet. "For now, you can stand tall knowing that you defeated it. It can't hold anything over you now, you've become too strong for something like this..."

She paused for a few moments as she looked at the spot that the troll had stood, her mind flitting between numerous different thoughts as she tried to figure out what else to say. Eventually, she found herself settling on the only thing she could say; the truth. "It's...over, for now. But it won't always be...you're going to find that one day, perhaps someday soon, someone else will fall victim to this world. They'll disappear, in more ways than one. There won't always be something you can do...to help them, to help those around you. But it's important that you keep fighting. If only for their memory, and for everything they fought for while we were all trapped in here. It's...it's important that someone makes it out, even if we don't all make it. I think..."

She bit her lip again, not looking at Fae as she continued her small commentary. "...it's important to realise that not everyone is going to escape this world, and that we should do everything we can to understand that. But that it's important to ensure that we try to help everyone escape. Does that make sense?"

She wasn't sure if her rambling was logical, she barely understood it herself, but she felt it was the best thing she could say in the situation. It may not have been the most spiritually uplifting, or the most emotionally compelling commentary, but it was truthful. The truth doesn't always bring joy, but it's always worth speaking...

Fae accepted Nari's outstretched hand, trying to will the red on her face to go away as she was pulled to her feet. Sheathing her blade Fae listened intently to her current partner as she stared into the cave that the troll had first come from. Nari was right and Fae knew it, she had seen what happened when the death game first began. She had been living at the wayward inn for almost her entire time in sword art online and she watched as so many children with no place to go gathered by the day, and more and more people set off to change their fate, she hadn't heard from any of them for a long time, and deep down she knew why.

Fae was silent for a moment looking up into the night sky, the stars shining brilliantly, it was beautiful, even if it was fake. "My friend always told me that when you die, you become one of the stars in the sky. It hurts to lose him, but I know he's watching me from up there. And he'll never be gone so long as I remember him." Fae gave a soft somber smile as she broke her gaze from the sky to look at Nari "And I know no one else will be forgotten when there are people like you fighting for them, fighting for those who can't fight anymore. I'd like to follow in your footsteps there, but I don't know if I'm strong enough. I look at you, and there's just,' Fae trailed off for a moment seemingly at a loss for words before picking back up stronger 'something about you. You, Nari Lanreth, are truly something special to behold." 

Fae let the silence overtake the pair as she stared into the sky once more, the silence wasn't deafening, it was a comfortable silence, shared by two individuals who kept the same ideals. Today would mark a change in Fae's life forever, and she could already tell. Looking over again at the woman beside her Fae made up her mind, she would follow this woman's lead until they escaped this world, living by the beliefs that were shared between them today.

Spoiler

ID214796 | Looking For Chest | LD: 8 + 3 = 11 | Fail! 

Spoiler

Word Count: 369

The night sky seemed to glitter as Fae praised Nari, the girl seemingly seeing something in her that Nari herself failed to notice. Previously, she'd have been left stumbling over her words, embarrassed and desperately trying to turn the attention away from herself and onto another topic, or another person. Now, however, she found herself calm, collected and un-phased by the other player's commentary. She didn't look away from Fae as she responded, her words quick, but not excited or emotional, as she stated what she felt in that moment.

"There's nothing special about me. I fought my way to get here, taking the time - and some dangers - in order to better myself. I didn't do anything that someone else can't do. I didn't rush to the front, outpacing those around me, in an effort to obtain glory, or power, or the ability to call themselves a hero. Maybe I'm not ordinary - in the sense that I don't hide behind others for safety, hoping someone else will solve all the problems. But I'm also not anything special, in the sense of someone who has immense power or capability. In fact, I'm nothing more than average...just with experience." She laid a hand on Fae's shoulder, smiling slightly as she continued her small commentary, trying to bring the girl's spirits up ever so slightly. "You could do what I did here, given enough time, drive and focus. This system, this world, allows even the most average of player's to become something more than they are. It has it's dangers, it's drawbacks, but...it provides all the same opportunity, if they're willing to risk the dangers to achieve it."

She let her hand drop, stepping back and glancing in the direction they'd arrived from. The night had only gotten later, and Nari was beginning to wonder if remaining here wasn't a danger to their continued survival. "It takes time, however, and you need to decide how you're going to focus yourself. Whether it be taking a role as a protector, someone who focuses on defeating the enemies before everyone, or supporting from any number of different ways...that is up to you, but once you decide, you simply need to continue onwards. You'll succeed...or you won't."

The shadows were beginning to darken as the light of the moon and stars quickly diminished. The large boulders and rocky crags breaking up what little moonlight there was, casting menacing and jagged shadows to fall over the entire clearing the pair were standing in. Fae stared into the blue eyes of the shorter woman, not breaking contact as they spoke.

"There were ten thousand people who first joined this game. And there are probably less than fifty who go to these raid parties, who go to the frontier and find these labyrinths, and fight these bosses. You may not be special because if the things you've accomplished, but your actions are. Not many people would be willing to put their lives on the line for other people, especially when those people aren't willing to do that themselves." Fae looked around as the eerie sounds of a dark night surrounded the pair in earnest before looking back to her companion. "You are willing to put on this mantle of a reaper, and fight a fight for people who can't, and that's special. I can't imagine myself or anyone else carrying that burden alone like you do." Fae let herself trail off, the embarrassment starting to set in as she looked away from her friend.

Fae looked where Nari's eyes had landed, it was clear that it was time for them to leave before the monsters took advantage of the deepening night. "I don't know how I'll be helpful to the effort of clearing this game, but I don't need to find that out right now, it will come with time. Right now I just want to focus on moving past everything I've seen and living up to my own expectations. Thank you again Nari, I can't explain what this all means to me. Fae didn't know what she would be able to do If she ever reached the frontlines, but she knew, if she could gave half the conviction of the woman beside her, she'd be fine.

Spoiler

Word Count: 337

Edited by Faerie

Nari gave a small nod to the girl's final statement, knowing that there was nothing else to say. The two had already begun moving back towards the safety of the settlement, and Nari felt that they'd completed the task that they had come out to face. She walked silently, for a while, as she let her mind wander over the events of the night. Growth. That's what it's all about...growing in a way that you become more than you once were. It's not about the enemies you put down, or how quickly you do it. Or don't do it. It's about what you walk away with...and that you do walk away from it. It doesn't matter if it takes you ten thousand times to try and over come it...so long as you do. Fae's learning that - I think. Or, at least she's coming to terms with something like that... Nari glanced over at the girl walking beside her, wondering if she really was coming to terms with it, or if Nari was just seeing it because she wanted it to be like that. 

"Hey...it may not be much of an offer, but once you're ready - truly ready - to come to the frontlines, reach out to me. I may not have all the answers, or the greatest experiences, but...well, I'll help you out any way I can." She cocked her head at the end of her own statement, before quickly adding to it. "And it doesn't have to just be once you've reached the frontlines. Anytime you need help, just reach out. I may not coming running, but I will come to help."

She let the words sit on the air, figuring there was nothing else to be said. She knew that the other girl would need to make her own decisions in the path she took going forwards, but regardless of that decision Nari knew she would support her. Not every player can face the dangers of the front. That much is true. It takes a special kind of someone, I guess, in order to be willing to put your life on the line. To protect others. To push forwards, for freedom. I think I've always known that...deep down. Hearing someone else, someone from the rear, say it though...that changes perspective, maybe. Makes it seem more...realistic, more honest. It would take her a while to truly interpret the situation and understand it, and Nari knew that thinking about it now wouldn't help. She was already tired, especially following the fight, and figured that for the time being they should at least head home and get some rest.

"Until next time, yeah?" Nari gave a small wave before heading off, once they had reached the safety of the town itself. She didn't look back as she went, knowing that she would see Fae again one of these days, and trusting that the girl would message her as soon as she needed help. I've done what I can for now. Now I just need to prepare for the future. We both do.

Thread Summary
Word Count: 10,835

Nari-Lanreth
EXP: 10,835 / 10 x 8 x 0.7 = 6,064 EXP

Faerie
EXP: 10,835 / 10 x 1 x 0.7 = 758 EXP
Col: 800