[SP-F3] «Search for the Hoya» Triumph

A deep sigh...

"Just keep your eyes ahead," the player tells himself. "Don't look down."

The large oaken bridge that allows passage to, and from the city of Aruyt seemed sound enough for the locals, but for Enryu, it was one over-weight carriage away from snapping, and sending them all down into the depths below for an early grave. It's undeniable how massive it truly was though, just as the entire forest itself seemed stretch up and into the heavens. Golden sun rays just narrowly seep through the treeline alluding to the fact that his descent here really lasted all night. "God.. what I would give for something to eat.. ughh.."

Thankfully this trip was coming to an end. He notices the two guards standing ready at their posts just down the end of the bridge. Scary. What enemies could possibly reside on this floor? He greets the two of them with a subtle head nod, and leaps down onto the grass below.

image.png.618c169f0a604538a18e86f812fc4199.png
  Hide contents

Enryu
| HP: 120 | EN: 30 | DMG: 7 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 |  MIT: 15 | KEEN: 1 |

[Equipment]

• Sword of Silver | OHSS | Perfect | T1
       [ Accuracy I | +1 ACC ]
       [ Damage II | +2 DMG ]
  • Black Padded Gambeson | LA | Uncommon | T1
       [ Evasion I | +1 EVA ] 
  • Silver Crucifix Pendant | TRNKT | Perfect | T1
       [ Accuracy II | +2 ACC ]
       [ Keen I | +1 BD after a successful attack ]

[Battle-Ready Inventory]

• Healing Potion x2 | T1
       Instantly recover 40 HP. Destroy upon use.
  • - - -
  • - - -

Skills

Hide contents

Skills List:

1. One-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 2/5
  2. Battle Healing | Passive | RANK 2/5
  3. Light Armor | Passive | RANK 3/5

Consumed Buffs

Hide contents

No Consumed Buffs in effect

Misc. Buffs

Hide contents

No Misc. Buffs in effect

Sword Arts

Hide contents

Rank 1

Slant (4 Energy) (x4) (ST-I)
     A single target diagonal slash capable of bisecting a player in two. 

Whirlwind (1 + [2* targets] Energy) (x3) (AOE-I)
     An area of effect swing that circles the player, slashing a full three-sixty degrees.

Sharp Nail (5 Energy) (4x) (Stun) (TECH-A)
     A consecutive three hit combo that repeatedly leaves the enemy dazed, and
     unprepared for the next strike.

Rank 2

Twin Fang (6 Energy) (6x) (ST-I)

A single target slash that strikes the enemy twice in one fluid motion.

Vorpal Lance (5 + [2 * targets] Energy) (5x) (AOE-I)
     An area of effect lunge capable of skewering multiple enemies on the tip of it's
     blade.

Silver Fang (7 Energy) (6x) (Stun) (TECH-A)
     A sudden silver slash that gives off the illusion of stretching past the blade's
     previously believed reach.

Edited by Enryu

His surroundings will take a while getting use to, especially the locals. This is the first time he's seen a man with rabbit ears, and it's a bit uncanny to say the least. Every time he turns his head, he catches only a glimpse of them staring back. They're judging me... He'll take this as a sign to keep his head down, and stay out of trouble.

"Now.. where can I get some food?"

The local Faune are quick to surround the carriages arriving off the bridge like ants to crumbs, working as a team to pick off supplies and haul them indoors. They're efficient too, taking no more than only a couple minutes to clear an entire supply. "Hm.."  An attempt to discern the food from anything else would prove futile. They're all packaged nicely in unlabeled wooden crates, and the hustle and bustle of Aruyt city life is too chaotic for one to follow any sort of trail.

What's that smell?

The faintest scent of a blueberry pie wafts past this adventurer's nose. It's enough to lift the young man off his feet, and pull him in like a siren's call. He couldn't remember the last time he ate a real meal. "Ugghh.."

He's led into a rather small shop in heart of town with an open door, but nobody inside. It might of been for the best seeing as how the shop itself couldn't be larger than a hundred square feet, hardly fitting the two tables and chairs it had in the center, though, not that he cared to notice. Enryu's too fixated on the selection of buttery treats they offered on display. He leans in close enough to bend his nose on the glass, and reads them off aloud. "Buttery croissants.. chocolate chip muffins.. peanut butter cupcakes.."

He's gone silent, lost in his fantasy, though his visions of a chocolate sea would only be interrupted by the gruff sound of a hardened warrior who makes his introduction in the corner of the store.

"Food for a warrior. I could use someone like you."

He doesn't even bother to turn his head. "Can this wait?" he asks the barbarian. "I'm in the middle of something important."

"I can see you're well equipped. Do you--"

"No."

"-- have a moment to speak? This quest is urgent."

"I really don't care."

"How about it? Care for a little thrill?"

It was obvious this was going nowhere. The NPCs in this town were no different than the rest, constantly bombarding you with empty dialogue until you accept their quest. While he may have been able to ignore it, the growl of his stomach only added to the frustration. Where the hell is this employee?

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

Enryu turns on a dime, letting out an anger that had been pent up for the entirety of his travel. The mercenary was of course unfazed seeing as how his dialogue only continued. If it was a quest he wanted done, Enryu was sure he could finish it quick enough. Perhaps that was the only way to get some service in this damned town. "I'm only here for two minutes and yet I already hate it here."

The barbarian widens his smile. It's unsettling enough to bring Enryu back down to earth for a minute. That's when it appears...

A small popup window detailing the specifics of this quest. «Search for the Hoya» is what it says on top, followed by either an accept, or deny button. The young adventurer is reluctant to choose either option, but he knew what had to be done. This wasn't a world made for the weak. To deny an opportunity to advance was like signing a death warrant. He accepted the risk, and clicked the button. It prompts a whole new set of dialogue for the mercenary.

"To the lands north of here lays a labyrinth under the Forest of Wavering Mist, concealed in that ungodly fog. It houses two minotaurs that have prolonged their unwelcomed stay in the home of the Faune. These people tell stories of a man who have slayed over a countless number of these beasts; the legendary Hoya. How would you like to walk in his steps?"

It seemed simple enough, but there was no telling how strong these beasts actually were. "Will you come with me then?" he asks. "I just need somebody to point me in the right direction."

The two of them venture off into the distance, beginning their long venture to the deep edges of the Forest of Wavering Mist. Enryu hadn't a clue of what to expect, and that only made his situation that much more unnerving. He's been blindsided in the past before, only surviving by some divine stroke of luck. Though, he knew that kind of luck wouldn't last forever. He holds onto the handle of his blade tightly, ready to draw at even the faintest unexplained whisper.

He had an idea that they were getting close when a thick fog started to slowly roll into the area. It was like something out of a movie set, only this mist was real, and cold to the touch. It only added to the tension of his situation. Thankfully, his guide breaks that tension with a few words.

"It can't be much further now."

Comforting...

"Just get me there in one piece, all right?"

Snap!

That's the sound of a broken branch being crushed beneath that towering brutes foot. It marks the end of his path, and there he stands for just a moment. Enryu stops, too, waiting for the NPC to make some sort of discovery, or continue on his way. That's when he says it. "We're here." Two words that make young Enryu's heart sink into his stomach. Had they really made it here already? It felt as if only a couple hours had passed since they left town, and perhaps that's really true. No amount of time passed could prepare him for the fights to come.

"Shit.. okay. Where do we go from here?"

That's when Larbrook kneels over, brushing a bit of dead grass out of the way that seemed to cover a hidden entryway. It's right by the tree, exactly as he had remembered it. "We must head down below into the heart of the labyrinth. It's the only way."

He takes a deep breath... and unsheathes his sword.

The moment Larbrook takes a stand is the same moment Enryu lashes out, slicing the chains that bound that entryway shut. Tchk!  The metal is sliced with one clean cut. The sword is re-sheathed, and a glance is offered back Larbrook's way. He tells the man, "Keep up if you can," before turning back and starting his descent down that tiny, dark hole.

The fall only takes a second, but the cement that greets him on the way down does little to soften the hit. It's cold, damp, and eerily depressing. The floor is caked in an inch of dust, and the only sources of light are the sparsely run torches that line the labyrinth walls. They're each hooked on metal stands easily towering twenty feet above the adventurer. "How big are these freaks suppose to be?" he asked himself. A rhetorical question, no doubt. Enryu quickly found comfort in handling his blade, and so a slow tug rings the silver metal out from his scabbard once more, and out into these echoing halls.

1/5

Edited by Enryu

Every step this young adventurer takes is sure to echo far and wide throughout this ginormous maze. Coupled by the limited lightning available, it was a sensory nightmare, almost as if every step pounded more than the beat of his own heart. It was all he could hear at times. "They really couldn't put any directions in here?" he jokingly asks his guide as if expecting some sort of response. No, the NPC remains silent, and follows in Enryu's footsteps. It was a failed attempt at getting his mind off things.

"Yeah, same.."

He breathes in, and out. It's visible to the naked eye, undoubtedly due to the fact that above ground - in the Forest of Wavering Mist - the air is cold to the touch. It's lingering down below, and into these halls. He finds comfort in knowing that he's only a minotaurs reach away from fresh soil, and a glimpse of sunlight.

2/5

Ahead lies two uncertainties; a fork in the road. One path may lead them to salvation whilst the other - suffering until the end of time. Enryu is sure to give this some thought, though ultimately he knew that there were no clues, nor signs that he could base a decision off of.  Instead, he turns back over his shoulder, and glances towards Larbrook as if expecting some sort of helping hand. "I brought you here for a reason," he tells the mercenary with a subtle wave of the arm. "Come on. Give me some help here."

To his surprise, the man does react. A few steps are taken, and it seems that even he too were contemplating the possible outcomes. That's when he does it - a map is procured from the satchel on his hip. It's thin, and age-ridden. It could have been thousands of years old for all he knew, but yet the mercenary unravels it all the same. "Diverging paths. The hero must make a choice that'll alter his fate. There are no wrong choices, only destiny."

"..."

"Thanks for nothing, I guess."

3/5

Edited by Enryu

Enryu turns his head and continues down the right path. He knew he couldn't waste time standing here on a fifty-fifty shot. "We've got to move. Come on." He talks to the guide and edges him forward to spiral down whatever hell-path he decided upon. It was the unknowing that killed him most, raising his anxiety to a level he hadn't felt since the first day in this virtual world, and that was over two years ago.

Raaaaugghh...

The faintest of noises echoes off in the distance. Were it a man, or a beast? The sound was all too familiar, alluding to the fact that these two adventurer were in fact not alone. That was enough to make the hairs on the back of his neck stand on edge. The hold he had on his silver straight sword was sure to tighten as if he found comfort in its grip. "The beast awakens. It knows of our presence."

"Good. Maybe he'll find his way over here so we can put an end to this already."

4/5

A few moments pass...

Larbrook had taken the lead with his old map, acting once more as a guide throughout these passageways. Thankfully the dim lighting that surrounded the two of them did little to hinder his vision, or sense of direction, and the mercenary continues to venture on. Behind him, Enryu walks watching every direction for a threat that may, or may not exist. He holds his silver blade in the right hand while his head turns to the left. What was that sound? He quickly turns around. Another growl. About face, the adventurer swivels. His hand reaches around and swings at the empty air!

"Watch it!"

"Sorry! I thought I saw something.."

Embarrassingly enough, what the young adventurer saw was only a figment of his imagination. An illusion that feeds off his anxiety, and it only grows more overwhelming by the second. A deep breath in is all he can do to smother his thoughts, and keep calm. He knew that in a situation like this, the ability to censor ones emotions could mean the difference between life, and death.

And that's when he sees it. A hulking beast that stands at the end of a corridor, wielding a worn, and rusty bardiche that extends nearly six feet. The beast turns, and faces the two of them.

5/5

It snarls. That hulking beast just stares the two of them down like a demon from hell. Enryu took a deep breath, feeling his heart racing in his chest. The massive minotaur was like something out of a nightmare. Its red eyes held a piercing gaze like daggers, something this young warrior wouldn't soon forget.

It wasn't long before the two of them moved. The two combatants circled each other warily, each looking for an opening. Enryu watched Govarron's movements carefully, waiting for the right moment to strike as the beast shuffled in an almost methodical manner, matching that of the young adventurer. Like a dance, the two of them never once look away from each other. That would be the end. That's when they would strike.

Suddenly, Govarron lunged forward, swinging his bardiche in a massive arc that encompassed the entirety of the labyrinth path. Enryu leaped back, narrowly avoiding the strike, knowing that even a single hit could spell defeat for the young man. He quickly countered with a jab, aiming for Govarron's chest, but the minotaur was too quick, leaping out of the way.

Enryu felt a surge of frustration. He knew that he needed to be patient, to wait for the right moment to strike.

Spoiler

Enryu | HP: 120/120 | EN: 23/30 (-7) | DMG: 7 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 15 | KEEN: 1 |

ID #  212425 | BD: 1 (Critical MISS!)

Enryu activates the sword art «Silver Fang» and misses!

ID #  212425 | MD: 1 (Critical MISS!)

«Govarron, the Western Hoya Minotaur» swings their bardiche and misses!

Govarron, the Western Hoya Minotaur | HP: 150/150 | DMG: 45 | EVA: 1

Edited by Enryu