[F07-SP] Explosive Potential <<Feeding Your Enemy>>

When he'd unexpectedly blurted out his intentions to serve as a tank, if @Enyaand @Illisandraever required one, Ren hadn't really thought things though.  Tall and lanky, by some standards scrawny, he really didn't fit the bill.  Beyond that, it was never a role he'd ever even considered for himself.  He had no fighting skills, other than button mashing his way through a few hack and slash or shooter games with his friends.  Those wolves they had encountered by Tolbana had nearly scared his wits loose.  Except they hadn't.  And, the more he thought about it, the more he realized that he had acted on instinct alone.  It wasn't the first time.  When his companions were ambushed, Ren's first reaction was to defend them.  If Austerlitz hadn't pulled him back, he probably would have died attempting to do so.

Since then, a plan had been forming.  It wouldn't happen overnight, but if he was truly serious about playing the part then certain infrastructure would be required.  The Knight Shift was already cobbled and, thanks to Callum's patient efforts, he'd already mangled a few more bits of metal into... something.  It was a work in progress.  While Aincrad's geology and metallurgy varied from the true world, it was proving similar enough for him to intuit certain traits and gather raw materials more effectively.  The biggest challenge was time.  It took too much to set and maintain the furnace, or to chip away at ore drops hoping to gather enough.  Sure, the game had some limited sources of gunpowder and explosives, but they were typically guarded behind plot and quest requirements.  A workaround was required.

"Penny for your thoughts?"  Youthful and genuine, the girl's voice sliced through his reverie like a chimes in a gentle breeze.

Rencesvals | HP: 80/80 | EN: 26/26 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 8 | ACC: 2 | LD: 6

Uses/Consumes:
Gelato - ID 212841-01 | LD 3
Spyglass - [1/3] - 
https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/20786-general-merchant/?do=findComment&comment=673060
Pheromones - https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/19383-f01r10-alchemist-cintamani-open/?do=findComment&comment=673057

Spoiler

Rencesvals
Level: 4
Paragon Level: 0
HP: 80/80
EN: 26/26

Stats:
Damage: 4
Mitigation: 8
Accuracy: 2
Loot Dice: 3+3

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Joyful Tribulations | ACC 2
Armor: Black Regalia | -
Misc: Music Box | LD 3

Skills:
Straight Sword R1
Heavy Armor R1
Fighting Spirit

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions x2

R2 Forager (107 XP)

Edited by Rencesvals

"Hmm?  Oh.  Uh, hello?"  Standing on one of the upper walkways of the ringed terraces of Nimbus, Ren was so lost in schemes that he'd completely lost track of his surroundings.  Before him stood a young woman with autumn-like features and garb that made him wonder whether she might be some sort of fey.  There was a presence about her that carried a sense of earthy serenity.  Maybe it was the silky quality of her short-cut hair, or the baggy peasant cap she wore to contain it?  Her dress was simple and durable, but decorated by elegant patterns one might expect among the wears of a master seamstress.  Most notable was the necklace cradled in the nape above her bosom - a single piece of amber with flakes of something indeterminate contained within.

"I'm terribly sorry, but were you speaking to me?"  She just giggled under her breath and nodded.  "I'm... err... yes.  I'm trying to solve a problem, you see.  Do you know anything about mining?"  Her head shook no.  "That's unfortunate.  I don't know this place all that well, but thought with all of the rocky terrain, I might find something here that could help me."

"Why do you need something to help you mine?  Aren't there already tools for such things?"

ID 212844 | Gathering LD 13+6=19 | CD 9 | Find 2 material
(R2 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+8 Forager EXP
2 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

"There are, yes.  And I have some of them, but they don't work very quickly and put a lot of stress on the body.  Gaspard, a friend of mine from Tolbana, reminded me of the toll it takes.  Sadly, he's already paid it in part."  He found himself stretching his arms wide at the mere memory of their meeting and time spent in the coal pits.  Following that up with a long stint at the forge left him exhausted to the point of collapse.  Thank goodness that the game's pain suppression had carried him.

"And what would you do with such knowledge, should you find it?"  The girl's eyes smiled pleasantly.  Her voice was akin to a songbird's.  Merely hearing it made you smile in return, putting Ren at ease.

"I'm trying to build a smithy to make armor and tools for people to better protect themselves.  Weapons too, I suppose, though the challenge of keeping them out of the potentially wrong hands is a tricky one.  Too many decent and innocent people had already been hurt in this place."  Hints of age and sadness crept in at her eyes' edges, but her smile deepened.  Reaching into a satchel slung around her shoulder, she handed Ren a small cloth bag.

"Take this.  It may help you find what you seek.  And, if it does, return it to me afterwards.  I'll be in Nimbus for a time and would dearly love to know what you found."

ID 212845 | Gathering LD 8+6=14 | CD 4 | Find 1 material
(R2 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+13 Forager EXP
3 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Blinking, somewhat confused by the sudden and generous nature of the woman's gift, Ren called out his thanks as she wandered into the town.  Jingling hoops and bracelets danced around her warm as she waved it in response, until the ping of a systems notice distracted him.  

"A new quest?  How did-"  Looking up for the woman proved pointless.  She was already gone.  Pursing his lips for failing to notice any quest icons in the area, Ren summoned his UI to clarify what he'd just stumbled headlong into this time.  "A familiar?  Isn't that just for wizards?  Maybe it's more like a pet or animal companion."  There hadn't been much about them in the pre-release materials.  Maybe he'd just missed it among all of the other glamor and advertising.  Having already purchased a few partially completed maps, Ren peered in the direction of the vanished NPC one last time before shrugging his shoulders and moving on with his original task.

ID 212846 | Gathering LD 1+6=7 | CD 7 | Find 0 material
(R2 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+16 Forager EXP
3 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

"Mountainous terrain will make it difficult to lay out an effective search pattern, and these hills swarm with more hostiles than the fields of floor one."  Verbal tactical analysis commonly featured at the outset of his group's team shooter sessions.  Austerlitz usually made the call, often tipping towards Agincourt's advice.  She'd always had keen insight for these things, and was invariably deadly with any kind of sniping weapon.  Ren, not quite having the reflexes or awareness required, served as their decoy.  He always took it in good stride, eager to help out in any way possible.  Harfleur would try to mock him and get a rise for it, until Magenta put a stop to it.  The man could be a bully at times, but his barbs never truly penetrated.  Ren was just happy to play.  Circumstances now required a different perspective.  Caring mattered, but he needed to up his game if he was going to make a difference, and the option to just respawn had been eliminated.  

"Well, you got your wish, Harfleur.  Hardcore mode for everyone from now on.  I hope you're satisfied."  Given that his name was now plastered on the Monument of Life, it was highly unlikely.

ID 212847 | Gathering LD 10+6=16 | CD 5 | Find 1 material
(R2 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+21 Forager EXP
4 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Resounding roars from the northern slopes made eastern travel a preferred option.  There was no sense getting in over his head wandering into a large pack of hostile mobs if he could avoid it.  Recon was still his primary goal.  "And tromping around solo isn't exactly the smartest course of action either."  Verdy's image appeared in his mind, mimicking the words as he spoke them.  The group's unofficial den mother was quick to point out foolish action.  "Sorry Verdy.  Can't be helped," he muttered, watching his footing around a pocked patch of granite with lots of options for bad footing.  

The rocky plains hadn't yielded much in the way of wildlife, but the spawn points for mineral wealth looked to be abundant.  "I'll have to make a point to return here when I've sorted out my kit a little better."  A patch of flint made its way into his inventory with a deft strike from his claw hammer, mentally catalogued for later use.  Several smaller peaks rose ahead, in the distance.  Without much guidance provided by the system, he had no idea whether he was actually headed in the right direction for whatever mysterious quest had been laid upon him.  He could only hope and have faith.

ID 212848 | Gathering LD 13+6=19 | CD 4 | Find 1 material
(R2 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+26 Forager EXP
5 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

"Stairs?  Here?"  Taking a knee for closer inspection confirmed it.  Someone had built a path along the leeward slope of one of the peaks.  Odd, given that there were no known settlements out here.  "Could it be some sort of dungeon or challenge zone?"  His sword immediately in hand, Ren proceeded with caution.  Sparse tree coverage on the upper slope obscured the path and approach to whatever lay beyond.  Rounding the first bend revealed a towering toro, iconic gate structures commonly associated with the entry sequence to shinto shrines and other major symbolic landmarks.  The paint was faded and flaking from its heavy timber surfaces which creaked unsettlingly as Ren passed beneath it.  "Yeah, that's not ominous AT ALL."

Jaw clenched, but still determined to explore whatever this place was, he pressed forward up the hill, slowly to avoid revealing himself unnecessarily.  Worn and heavily eroded lantern markers soon marked the edge of the path where guards and handrails had long ago fallen into disrepair.  Bits of dripping, weather-stained wax still clung to and marred some of their grey stone surfaces.

ID 212849 | Gathering LD 14+6=20 | CD 12 | Find 2 material
(R2 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+34 Forager EXP
7 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

1678985-bigthumbnail.jpgA different substance caught Ren's attention as they neared the peak.  "Bitumen, or maybe pitch?  Not something I would have expected to see up here."  Squinting against the light of the noonday sun blanching everything in its gaze, it took only a few more steps to crest the final rise.  Climbing the last few steps revealed a series of small shrines and ruins in traditional Japanese style reminding him of the Grand Shine of Ise, not far from his family's home in Mie Prefecture.  The scale was much smaller, but many details in the layout and construction were familiar.  Notably concerning, all flora on the peak appeared to be dead, as if desiccated by drought or some supernatural calamity.  

Scanning and alert for monstrous creatures that might be lurking about, Ren stepped as lightly as his armor would allow.  The main temple structure remained intact, though one of its main doors looked like it had been battered to splinters.  Swallowing brought courage, apparently, as it was all Ren required to keep moving forward.

ID 212850 | Gathering LD 1+6=7 | CD 6 | Find 0 material
(R2 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+37 Forager EXP
7 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Peering carefully into the grand hall, Ren could see three nooks at the far end.  Only one was fully visible from this vantage and held a large stone statue.  Shadowed by the roof and lack of interior lighting, there was no way to discern any more from the door.  Sparing a moment to peer around both sides of the building confirmed that there were no other openings or obvious dangers.  Gingerly stepping over decaying tatami mats, Ren made his way closer, cringing whenever his footfalls made the slightest crunching sound.  If anything was lurking about, it made no moves.

'Too many places to hide,' he thought to himself.  Still, there were no other options.  Having reached the apex of the chamber, the three alcoves were all directly visible.  The first, on the left, was marked Chansi, and appeared to be some sort of female humanoid figure.  Short and slender, its arms were outstretched as if to embrace, the hands having long since fallen off.  In the centre, a second faded figure marked as "Dharma" - a name he knew well from his own religious studies in Buddhism and Hinduism.  If the meaning held true, its symbolism harkened to virtuous duty and cosmic order.  The statue's shape was too worn to make out, or might even have been deliberately created that way to convey the inexplicable character of its meaning.

ID 212851 | Gathering LD 13+6=19 | CD 3 | Find 1 material
(R2 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+42 Forager EXP
8 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

The last statue was little more than rubble, though its name plate remained: Vinaya.  

"Discipline?"

*CLANG*

Ren nearly spooked himself out of his own skin.  Distracted by academic mysteries, he'd loosened his grip on his sword enough that the blade's tip had drooped and clattered loudly when it struck the broken stone floor.

"Damn it!"  Clutching his own chest and heart after the self-inflicted fright, Ren cursed his clumsiness.  Surveying the scene once more to make sure that he hadn't drawn out some nasty critter, he finally came to the conclusion that this place was simply abandoned.  "What happened here?"  

Only as he stood at the midpoint between all three statues, thinking upon what he knew of their own potential meanings, did Ren notice a possible connection.  The female figure with her arms held aloft - could she be calling to the broken statue on the other side of the cosmos?  Her build and size were familiar.  "The... THE GYPSY!?"  Fortunately, his jaw couldn't reach far enough to hit the ground as hard as his sword.

Search for a familiar | ID 212852 | LD 13+6=19 | Success!

Edited by Rencesvals

1950107131_BluePheonix5.jpg.6cad492fef655c66b68c8ca94888ea31.jpgNearly spilling the contents as he scrambled to open the pouch of feed she'd provided to him, Ren raced to the broken statue and spread its contents sparingly.  If he was wrong, he couldn't afford to just dump it all in a fit of archaeological glee.

"Vinaya... ummm," squinting his eyes to improve his recollection glimpsed some instance of enlightenment.  "It's Sanskrit, meaning to lead, take away, tame, train or... guide?  It's a teacher."  Glancing around again at the ruined temple.  "Wow... someone really didn't want to learn their lesson."  A breath on his neck made Ren's eyes bulge wide as an azure aura appeared in his peripheral vision.  Swiveling gold-irised eyeballs first, he dared not move a muscle lest whatever explosive elemental conjuration had emerged beside him decide to detonate.  

An eagle-eyed beast was literally staring back at him.  Perched upon the rubble, the large bluish-purple bird of prey gazed harshly upon him, rendering judgement in seemingly eternal silence.  Only the gentle swaying of its feathers and drifting motes of star-like sparkles around him suggested that the thing was even real.  It's very form hovered between solid and spectral states... waiting.

Taming a familiar [Attempt 1/4] | ID 212853 | CD 3+1=4 | Failure

Edited by Rencesvals

"I..."

What was he supposed to do?  What even was this thing glaring at him?  Remembering the ambiguous quest and the woman who had given him the seeds - Chansi - Ren found himself simultaneously trying to stare at Dharma and the bird.  Her words echoed back to him.

"What would you do with such knowledge, should you find it?" 

He was at a loss, his mind racing at ten thousand miles a minute trying to process every bit of lore he'd ever harnessed, or failed to while galivanting about with his friends.  He should have studied harder and taken things more serious.  And now, because he hadn't, it might get him killed.  Humility is a harsh lesson.  Closing his eyes, Ren felt a zen-like peace overtake him as his lips relaxed and released the words.

"I have so much still to learn, and need to do better."

Vinaya, if this thing was its manifestation, flinched.  Its singular eye widened slightly at his response before resuming its same judgmental stance.  Hope returned to Ren's dejected eyes.

"Was that the right answ-"

The bird exploded.

Taming a familiar [Attempt 2/4] | ID 212854 | CD 12+1=13 | Success!

Edited by Rencesvals

A coriolis blast wreathed in indigo flames shot Ren out the fragile shoji walls and tumbled him a dozen times head over heels before his body crashed into a large metal dish hung in the centre of one of the smaller outer shrines.

*GONG*

He was sure that his pride had been launched in the other direction.  It was also likely still airborne and unlikely to land for several eon's after such a humiliating moment.  'Stupid-head,' came the taunting calls of his young niece, who so thoroughly enjoyed mocking him every opportunity.  Why does she sound so much like Illisandra?  Now he would die with images of miniature purple Stitches dancing among the ring of stars orbiting his head.  Deadpool would be proud at the absurdity of it all.

Is this what brain damage feels like?

His entire core had been shattered and shaken by a single gesture from that avian demon.  Even trying to figure up which way was down proved to be impossible, or possibly it was still shifting around trying to decide a new direction for itself?

ID 212855 | Gathering LD 10+6=16 | CD 6 | Find 2 material
(R2 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+50 Forager EXP
10 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

"WHAT THE HELL?!"

Why am I screaming?  Am I screaming?  How can I tell?  Everything is still spinning...

Ren's first three attempts to stand ended in utter failure.  Bracing himself on a wobbly wall, he thought he'd finally gained some purchase when the wall caved back away from him.  A moment later, the gong swung back and smashed him right in the face.

*GONG*

It struck with enough force to launch him back whence he came, landing unceremoniously next to the very same shoji he'd shattered upon exit mere seconds ago.  It took a minute or two more before he dared consider standing again, preferring to let the Earth settle itself and signal its permission that it was safe to do anything else.  Ren covered his eyes with his hands, though it took him a moment to even find his face.  Blocking out the sensory overload helped, or maybe it was just that he was molding his skull back into proper shape.  Whatever works....

ID 212856 | Gathering LD 18+6=24 | CD 3 | Find 1 material
(R2 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+55 Forager EXP
11 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Maybe just to kneeling.  Standing might be a bit too ambitious at the moment.

It took far longer than he liked, but the battered knight finally managed to settle himself on all fours and then slowly lift his head and torso up enough to look around again.  The sight before him left him as stunned as the blow from which he'd only just recovered.  The temple - the same temple that moments ago stood in ruins - was completely restored.  Well, except for the hole in the wall where he was standing-ish.  All three statues remained inside the shrine where they had been before, but their forms looked as if each had been freshly sculpted from the same monolithic slab of cobalt-laced granite that comprised the entire temple floor.  The woman - Chansi - looked identical to the figure he'd met in Nimbus mere hours before, right down to her fey-like travel dress.  Dharma remained as enigmatic as ever, and equally eternal.  The third and final figure had been reassembled into a grand and majestic avian figure with wings outstretched offering its blessing to Chansi who could clearly be seen to reach for them.

"Huh..." 

Epiphanies were often lacking in the word department.  Ren and his multiple concussions definitely fit the standard.

ID 212857 | Gathering LD 19+6=25 | CD 10 | Find 2 material
(R2 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+63 Forager EXP
13 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

"It's a phoenix.  A purple phoenix?  Wait... a royal phoenix?!"  Eyes wide and mouth gaping open, Ren remained at a loss for what he was experiencing.  "I don't understand," he whispered aloud, then repeated to himself.  "That's the whole point, isn't it?  This place and our existence here is a complete mystery.  Everything we know has been thrown out and our entire book rewritten.  We don't know who we are.  We don't know what we want.  We can be... anything."

The heat of the sun pressed upon his skin, compelling him to turn and gaze beyond the temple to the vast sky on display from the mountain's peak.  Clouds had gathered to force an early setting behind their false horizon.  Orange had already dipped into pinks and was rapidly changing to reds as the glowing sphere sunk with unnatural haste.  Twilight.

"Everything is unknown and undecided.  I... I think I get it.  We're all waiting for a new dawn, but need to pass through this crucible to reach it."

Something warbled from above.  Partially concealed by the blackish-blue tapestry of night backlighting its sleek figure with an infinite field of stars.

"Thank you, Vinaya, for the gift of perspective."

He thought he saw it dip its head in acknowledgement, and then it was gone.

ID 212858 | Gathering LD 17+6=23 | CD 12 | Find 2 material
(R2 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+71 Forager EXP
15 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Ren slept at the Temple of Three that night, sensing that its hallowed ground would keep any external dangers at bay.  It was the best night's sleep he'd had since becoming trapped in the floating castle, free of nightmares.  His friends were there, as always, but only in moments of carefree joy and the tenderness of friendship that soothed like a mother's embrace.  In the morning, the temple had once more faded into its decrepit state.  Vinaya's statue was a heap of broken stones and everything around looked dried to a raisin-worthy state.  Only one thing had changed: the imprint of a man pressed deeply into the surface of a metal gong hanging in one of the smaller outer shrines.  He stared at it a good long while before accepting that it had not been a dream.  This place was just fucked up, in a possibly good but particularly painful way.

"Maybe that's what it takes to wake some of us out of our ignorance and stupor."  

Lesson learned and accepted, Ren turned and slowly made his way back down the mountain.

ID 212859 | Gathering LD 2+6=8 | CD 9 | Find 0 material
(R2 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+74 Forager EXP
15 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Never quite able to catch it, Ren felt like he was being shadowed on his return journey to Nimbus.  It didn't help that he had to change routes a half-dozen times to avoid roving bandits and some crazy Sand-Wurm looking thing.  All were decidedly above his pay grade and not worth engaging unnecessarily.  The time would come, eventually.  For now, he needed to survive, grow and learn.  As much as he hated the anime cliche, he truly did need to get stronger.  This world had a system and rules.  They were different than the ones he knew, but he could learn them and use them to benefit himself and the players he encountered.

"Peers," he told himself.  "I should have seen it sooner."

He'd chosen his handle on a whim and love of romantic chivalry.  It was all very stupidly idealistic.  But there was truth and wisdom behind it.  There was hope, if people were willing to shoulder the burdens.  At first, he thought his peers were only those that had come here with him, his companions.  Vinaya had changed that.  

"We are all peers," he admitted and recognized.  "Even those who prey upon their own.  Even those who cower in shadows, or those whose minds have shattered under the strain of this place.  None of us is getting out of here on our own."

ID 212860 | Gathering LD 10+6=16 | CD 9 | Find 2 material
(R2 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+82 Forager EXP
17 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

A call high in the sky drew Ren's attention.  It looked like a crane or heron from afar - a slender body dwarfed by massive wingspan and contrail like tail streaking through the air.  He recognized it instantly.  

"Vinaya.  So, you're not dead.  Phoenix.  Right.  I really should have known better."  Immolation would hardly be a problem for such a creature.  Would it truly be a familiar?  The legends he had heard and read about described the creature anywhere up to a roc in size and splendor.  This one looked to be far smaller, though no less majestic.  It remained near for the rest of the trip, guiding him away from hazards and even towards a few fertile geode fields that yielded valuable materials for his ongoing and future efforts.  

"You keep that up, my friend, and we will get along just fine.  I just hope that your next lesson is a little less brutal."

ID 212861 | Gathering LD 14+6=20 | CD 1 | Find 1 material
(R2 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+87 Forager EXP
18 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Chansi was waiting for him on the outskirts beyond Nimbus' protective walls and away from the guards' patrols.  Ren offered a sincere and thankful smile as he approached her, which she coyly returned.

"Is it your real name?"

"What does that even mean, Rencesvals?"  He was certain never to have given her his name.  A distant cry from overhead triggered a familiar memory: stupid-head.  Ren sighed and chuckled in the same moment.

"I really don't want to put you in the same room with @Illisandra," he said to the bank of fluffy clouds.  "But something tells me I'm not going to get to decide on that one."

Returning his gaze to match eyes with Chansi, he drew forth the small pouch she'd given him the day before and dropped it back into her waiting hand.  It vanished into her sleeve just as quickly.

"Thank you for your help, whatever the case." 

"Good luck," she simply offered in response, then turned and walked out into the barrens.

ID 212862 | Gathering LD 1+6=7 | CD 7 | Find 0 material
(R2 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+90 Forager EXP
18 Materials

Thread Summary

694 EXP (Word Count [3942/10*1*1] + Quest [300])
400 col (400 [1 page]

Materials: 18 (Gathered [18])
Unlocks <<Taming Your Friend>> Quest
Familiar Eval: https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/39172-rencesvals-evaluations/?do=findComment&comment=673085

+90 Forager EXP

Edited by Rencesvals