[F05-SP] Scouring Memories and Morality <<The Traveler>>

Harsh grey eyes staring out across a scorching desert wasteland. Austerlitz' figure cut a stark contrast to his surroundings.  Clad is pristine, gleaming steel and a crisp black woolen cloak that snapped in the wind as if beckoning for military inspection.  He was the very picture of discipline in a rugged and untamable wilderness.  Unmoving, or unmovable, his stance exuded discipline and defiance of disorder.  Karl's world had always been subject to his authority, even before this nightmare was a thing.

Ren had received his message and come as requested, his avatar form reconstituting itself as he emerged from the stony portal.  Fortaleza wasn't much to look at.  Even the shine of rematerializing seemed excessive luxurious and out of place in such a shamble of a backwater hole.  To even call it a town seemed laughable.  Barely a dozen or so structures, it was barely an outpost ready to be overrun by endless hordes of giant bugs from some sci-fi slasher film, or else swallowed by some angry force of nature that simply failed to notice it was there.

The two men hadn't spoke much since the day that cost so many of their friends their lives.  Aus had saved a panicked and desperate boy that day by keeping his wits about him, and a strong grip.  Though Ren understood and appreciated it, now, the immediate aftermath hadn't gone so well.

"You came."  Karl's voice was always full of gravitas, even when he was ordering pancakes.  He should have gotten a job as a voice actor for movie trailers.  Instead, it was wasted on making everyone around him feel small and insufficient. In this case, doing the expected was not enough.  Everything always had to be its most perfect self, above and beyond reproach.  There was no meeting such expectations.

"Of course I did.  You called, and we're friends."  Ren's voice was cool, but not cold.  It was the best way to deal with Aus, especially if he was in a mood, and he was always in a mood.  "What can I do for you, Ka... Austerlitz."  Scolding himself for slipping, he knew how much this particular companion felt it necessary to remain in character.  Karl had been the drama student in the group, which always struck everyone as odd.  Most actors were excessively genial and nonchalant, nearly off the wall random at the best of times, or over the top.  He was the complete opposite: brooding, brilliant, technically flawless in his executions - a harsh master of his craft.  But he did care.  They all knew it.  His efforts  and swift thinking had saved those that managed to survive that day.  

"Word is out that you've been busy working on some sort of plan.  I'd heard tell of a new smithy in Tomoika with some utopian claptrap about saving the world.  It sounded like something you might do, so I thought it best to find out myself."  Turning to actually face his friend, Aus' features were as predatory as ever.  Even the simplest question felt like an interrogation on the state of your soul.  Preferring to assume the best, Ren returned the gaze with hope.

"Yes.  I've setup a shop and have been making supply runs.  It's kept me busy providing assistance to other players and building a support network.  Things has been getting... too quiet."  What had Aus been up to, he wondered.  Rumors had flown about their circles that he was hell-bent on joining the front lines.  Now just didn't seem the time to ask.  

"Did you say 'assistance'?"  The disembodied interruption trailed back to an aging NPC local, his skin like worn leather and glazed eyes hinting at poor sight.  The desert had already claimed its toll on this one.  "I'm looking for some, if you're offering."

Uses/Consumes:
Gelato - ID 212841-05 | LD 3

Rencesvals | HP: 200/200 | EN: 38/38 | DMG: 9 | MIT: 12 | ACC: 2 | LD: 6

Spoiler

Rencesvals
Level: 10
Paragon Level: 0
HP: 200/200
EN: 38/38

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 12
Accuracy: 2
Loot Dice: 3+3

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Joyful Tribulations | ACC 2
Armor: Black Regalia | -
Misc: Music Box | LD 3

Skills:
Straight Sword R5
Heavy Armor R2
Fighting Spirit

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions x2

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Advanced Training: +10% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

R5 Forager w/ Demeter's tool

Edited by Rencesvals

"Move along, old man," came the sterner knight's gruff response, unmoved by the elder's solicitation for charity.  Aus didn't even make eye contact with him, clearly deeming it a waste of his time.  Ren watched the brief exchange with stoic disappointment.

"We'd be happy to help."  The interruption earned an irritated and imperious glare from Austerlitz, which Ren just ignored.  "What is you need, my friend."  Wrinkles came together to form a smile so wide it merged with his bushy white eyebrows to swallow his eyes.

"We?"  It was more growl than word.

"Yes," Ren replied casually, "this man's leg is injured and our chances of success improve with numbers.  Besides, friends are supposed to do things together and it's high time you and I did."   You could practically hear the storm clouds gathering over Aus, threatening to burst.  The desert would have thanked him if they had.

"Oh, thank you, good sirs.  It's not easy to find people to lend a hand around here."  One free hand flailed wildly to the rest of the settlement while the other clung to his cane for dear life and balance.  "My name is Zamek, and I have a treasure to recover, but will need your help to reach it."  Brooding long enough to make his displeasure known, Aus finally chimed in.

"How far is it and would we need a wagon?"  Surprised by his willingness to even consider the effort, Ren's eyes softened in thanks.

"Oh, it about a day's journey, at least at my pace.  The chest is only yea big," he added, using his hands to indicate length and width.  "The contents are dear to me, but not especially heavy.  I'm sure we could manage together."

Metal plates clicked aloud, expressing their annoyance as Aus' segmented gauntlets clenched around his sword hilt.  A curt nod was all that Ren would get, before Karl's gaze twisted to scour the horizon.  It was more than enough.

ID 213061 | CD 2 (Sandstorm) | no damage

ID 213062 | Gathering LD 5+7=12 | CD 5+2=7 | Find 3 material, 2,500 col

Total:
0 Demonic Shards
3 Materials
2,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

A few stray stands of moisture in the form of waving aerial wisps served as skyward guardians watching over them as they passed beneath the dilapidated stone arch that marked the outskirts of Fortaleza.  They, like their paltry cloud companions in the azure field above, were barely noticeable in the vast barren grandeur of the wastelands that stretched in every direction as far as the eye could see.  

"Let us hope that all this nothingness serves as sufficient camouflage," Austerlitz complained as both their heavy armor clanked and echoed loudly with every move.  "Because no one is going to have a hard time spotting or hearing us coming from at least a mile away." 

'Always with the tactical analysis', Ren thought, taking in the beauty of the scenery on its own merits.  Arid and desolate, but also majestic, the chalky red barrens sprawled endlessly before them.  Where his friend found only peril, Ren saw opportunity and potential.  This was a land of secrets waiting to be revealed.

"You're doing it again, aren't you?"  Hand still firmly fixed on the pommel of his sword, his hawkish eyes scrutinized their surroundings as they walked.  Aus was ever-vigilant and slightly paranoid.  How could he not be, after all?  Those traits had kept them alive and might again now.  

"Ever the pragmatist, I see."  They knew each other well enough to fathom their respective thoughts.  The debate never happened.  Both simply acknowledged the others' stance and they moved on.  

"Thank you both, again," the old man said, attempting to break tension he didn't realize had already been diffused.  "My name is Zamek.  My family and I used to trade goods between the sparse settlements of the desert in less dangerous days.  Bandits and raiders eventually forced us out of business, you see.  I nearly lost my leg as a result."  

"How did the rest of your family fare?"  Ren took the meaning of Zamek's silence.  They weren't just going to find the man's wealth, but possibly also to recover whatever else he'd been forced to leave behind.  Aus didn't even flinch.

ID 213063 | CD 6 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213064 | Gathering LD 9+7=16 | CD 4+2=6 | Find 2 material, 1,000 col

Total:
0 Demonic Shards
5 Materials
3,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

Something in the clenching of Karl's jaw set Ren on edge.  His hand had never wandered away from his blade, as if expecting danger to manifest any instant.

"You've noticed it too, then?"  The elder knight gave only a short nod.  The occasional scramble of detritus rock was to be expected in this desiccating heat.  Every part of this parched land was basically turning to dust.  But, that it kept happening from behind them signaled something more sinister.

"Eh?  What's that?"  Zamek, winded just by trying to match their walking pace, struggled behind the rasping wheeze of his own breath.  "What are you both going on about?  I'm going as fast as I can, I swear!"  Ren steadied him with a supporting hand, offering him some of his own limited water supply.  

"We think we have friends trying to catch up with us," Ren replied.  "I don't suppose you told anyone else where we were going?"

"I've been trying to get someone to help me for days," came the coughing reply.  "Half the town knew I was set to wander this way."

"Great."  Aus broke his silence with displeasure.  "We'll never lose them out here.  They'll move faster and lighter, and likely know the terrain better than we ever could."

"I might have a solution," Ren chuckled dryly as he stared at the horizon, "but you're not going to like it."

ID 213065 | CD 5 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213066 | Gathering LD 6+7=13 | CD 3+2=5 | Find 2 material, 1,000 col

Total:
0 Demonic Shards
7 Materials
4,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

"Are you suggesting that we actually head into a sandstorm?"  Even in the face of the absurd, Aus remained cool and critically calculating.  In moments like these, Ren grudgingly admired the trait.

"Do you have any better ideas?  Look, there is a cliff face that might offer shelter, maybe even a cave.  We should be able to make it before the storm is upon us.  You can make it, right Zamek?"  It was a long way at a hobble, and the merchant knew the dangers barreling across the landscape towards them.  Those winds could scour the flesh of a man.  It was like willingly placing yourself in the path of a sandblaster and hoping for the best.  Grit-laden winds alone could simply suffocate you.  Doubt found purchase in his eyes.

We leave him.

The message came by way of Ren's UI message box.  His face contorted to a grimace at the suggestion.  There was no way he was doing that.

"Climb on, Zamek."  Securing his blade, Ren took a knee and bared his back.

"I can make it! Uh... I think?"  The old man's pride was paper thin in the face of the looming threat.  Like a churning wall, the storm front kept growing.  In an instant, the sky turned from azure blue to apocalyptic red as the sun was swallowed behind it.

"Yeah?  Well, I know.  Get on.  We're wasting time we don't have."

ID 213067 | CD 9 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213068 | Gathering LD 3+7=10 | CD 4+2=6 | Find 0 material, 0 col

Total:
0 Demonic Shards
7 Materials
4,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

What began as a low distant rumble, like thunder on the edge of sleep, soon grew to a menacing maelstrom of whirling death.  Like hail before a thunderstorm, waves of sand and grit pelted them from the sky, clanking on their armor like car it was car hoods and hard tops, fist sized chunks of rock clattering painfully off them as they went.  Ren couldn't even recall the last time he'd been compelled to wear his helm, preferring to keep it off for better vision.  The system treated it as an accessory anyway with no mechanical benefit.  Not being able to see finally changed his mind.  

He'd summoned a shield from his inventory and convinced Zamek to strap it to his back to offer some modicum of protection.  Judging by the constant muscle spasms he felt on his back as the old man clenched in pain, it wasn't nearly enough.

A mailed hand grasped Ren's shoulder and he nearly whirled to punch its owner in the face, thinking their pursuers had caught up.  The plumed helmet held him back.  Only Aus was audacious enough for something that gaudy.  An outstretched arm pointed towards something in the shadow of the cliff face about a hundred yards away.  Nodding, he redoubled his pace, hearing his ward grunting and yelping on his back even as the main storm front crested the top of the ridge.

ID 213069 | CD 1 (Sandstorm) | 20 damage!

Rencesvals | HP: 180/200 | EN: 38/38 | DMG: 9 | MIT: 12 | ACC: 2 | LD: 6

ID 213070 | Gathering LD 12+7=19 | CD 11+2=13 | Find 1 demonic shard, 4 material, 3,000 col

Total:
1 Demonic Shards
10 Materials
7,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

Three figures sprawled into the cave mouth with metallic racket that could have raised the dead.  Ren's recollections instantly went back to the time he and his sister knocked over the standing suits of armor at some German castle they were visiting on family vacation.  At least there were no peeved curators here to tear a verbal strip out of his hide.  Aus was too busy hacking and coughing as steady streams of sand drained out of his visor.  Zamek groaned and rolled onto his back, trying to catch his breath.  His wispy white hair looked like he'd just blown up a firecracker in front of his own face, splaying it in every direction. A quick tap dismissed his own helmets leaving Ren gasping for breath himself.

"That was a fucking stupid idea. This whole mess was a stupid fucking idea! Why did I ever listen to your hair-brained soft-hearted foolishness!?"  Ripping the helm from his own head, Aus smashed it against the cave floor and sent it sprawling into the darkness.  Only the red glow from the entrance offered them any light, and barely at that.  "I swear, your bleeding heart is going to-"

"Keep us alive," Zamek boldly interrupted.  "He took a chance helping me and in getting us here.  I, for one, am grateful.  Now shut your damned mouth before you lead those raiders straight to us."

He'd never seen Karl's face reach such a blotchy, angry shade of red.  Eyes bulged with rage and jaw clenched so tight, Ren was sure that his teeth were going to shatter.  Even then, pushed to the very brink, the man couldn't quite manage to lose control when confronted by reason.  Ren's hand had somehow wandered to his own weapon in preparation for the worst, but instantly released the blade's hilt and nodded his profound gratitude to the NPC.  Killing a friend had never in his wildest dreams belonged on the day's agenda.

ID 213071 | CD 3 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213072 | Gathering LD 9+7=16 | CD 10+2=12 | Find 4 material, 3,000 col

Total:
1 Demonic Shards
14 Materials
10,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

Each of them eventually made it back to their feet, the ominous groaning of the maelstrom pounding relentlessly at their shelter from above.  Austerlitz had calmed himself, but faced away from the others as if still struggling with the effort.  Perhaps he felt shamed by the near loss of control?  Ren wondered what toll that sort of thing took on his pride while he stood by the cave mouth, staring out into the sandy sleet scouring away all hints of anything but bare stone beyond.  Zamek sat at his side, having found a suitable stone to bear his weight while he struggled to repair his damaged cane.  The lower half of the ornately carved stick had snapped off in their mad dash for shelter.

"Sorry about that," Ren offered sympathetically.

"I traded a hunk of wood for my life," Zamek grunted with humour and humility.  "It was a good trade."  Ren just smiled at the man's positive perspective, but the feature faded almost as soon as it appeared.  An instant later his helm was back on his head.  Without a word, Ren rushed back into the whirling sands.  Too stunned to react, Zamek's delayed cry caught Austerlitz attention too late to see what had happened.  He wasn't able to hide his honest concern for Ren's disappearance before reaching the entrance. 

"He... he just ran back out there."  

ID 213073 | CD 6 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213074 | Gathering LD 5+7=12 | CD 4+2=6 | Find 2 material, 1,000 col

Total:
1 Demonic Shards
16 Materials
11,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

A flicker and flash of steel called the black knight's weapon to hand as he spotted several shapes shambling in their direction.  Could the raiders have lure Ren out?  That would leave only himself and a lame merchant to hold against whatever might assail them.  Two figures slammed onto the stone floor at his feet, dressed in the manner of the nomadic tribes of the desert.  Their flesh was scourged raw by the storm and both had health bars flashing in the depths of red.  Seconds later, Ren stumbled back into the cave holding his head like someone had just blasted him in the ears with a fog horn.

"Owww... frig.  I hate helmets!  It's like plugging your ears into a pair of speakers and cranking them both up to max out there."  Even the game's pain suppression struggled against the sheer ambient volume of the storm amplified by such an echo chamber.  Gingerly tapping to dissolve it, a cascade of sand suddenly appeared and fell all around him.  It was like watching the glass vanish from around a fish bowl, just without the splashing.  

"Are you mad!?  Why did you drag them back here?  You could have gotten yourself killed."  Cracks already formed in Aus' shell of composure were rapidly becoming grooves.  

"Saw the two of them," Ren gasped.  "They were already down.  The sands would have claimed them."

"So!?  Let them!"

"No."  His resolve was ironclad.  "That's what you would do, Karl.  Not me."

ID 213075 | CD 4 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213076 | Gathering LD 11+7=18 | CD 12+2=14 | Find 1 demonic shard, 4 material, 3,000 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
20 Materials
14,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

"They're fucking mobs, Sakata!"  Austerlitz flinched like he'd been slapped.  He'd just broken his own precious rule and recoiled like he'd taken an actual blow, stumbling to find his footing as he came to a knee.

"What does that matter, Ka... Austerlitz."  There was no desire or need to strip his friend of his dignity.  Better to hand it back to him on a silver platter and salvage the situation.  "What does it even mean to be 'people' in a place like this?"

"Don't start babbling philosophy at me."  Ren just waved off the common counter and pressed his advantage.

"How we treat each other and the things around us reveals our true selves to the world.  Sure, from behind the comfort of the screen it was easy to make the choice.  But in here?  Are we really all that different from them?  Do we honestly know with any certainty, or are we just clinging to the comfort of past blind assumptions?  What if mobs are actually real players too, Aus?  What then?!"

His friend looked lost, his certainty shattered and internal compass sent spinning.

"You're a fool."  The statement lacked his usual and adamant conviction.

"Maybe.  Maybe not.  I just do what I think is right.  For the moment, that means tying these two up in case they think more like you do."

ID 213077 | CD 5 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213078 | Gathering LD 13+7=20 | CD 1+2=3 | Find 1 material, 0 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
21 Materials
14,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

Raging unabated, the trio sat in silence watching the shimmering red haze of the sun slowly sneak its way across the hidden sky.  One of the prisoners finally groaned, breaking the epic monotony.  Ren moved to offer him some water.  His wineskin wouldn't last long, split between them, but it was the decent thing to do.  Swallowing and offering muttered thanks, the raider switched to confusion as he took in his surroundings. Being alive and in these circumstances had never been in the cards, as far as he was concerned.

"Who are you?  What do you want from us?" Cautious and hesitant, he looked to be in his early twenties and already well weather-worn by desert living.  Aus just stood over him menacingly.

"I'm surprised to find two seasoned desert dwellers so focused on their prey that they somehow neglected to notice the incoming storm.  Did you really think us worth such a risk?"  Keeping his tone calm and neutral was key.  Ren knew the man would be embarrassed by such a failure and wanted his question to sound like candid concern rather than condescension.  He offered his water again to prove his intent.  The raider declined, but relaxed rather than tensing further.

"We were foolish to do so and got separated from the rest of our group.  You would do best to release us before they find this place."

Aus drew his blade as his only reply.

ID 213079 | CD 4 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213080 | Gathering LD 19+7=26 | CD 9+2=11 | Find 4 material, 3,000 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
25 Materials
17,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

Taking it as a threat, the other raider launched himself forward trying to tackle Austerlitz.  Ren kicked his legs out from under him and locked the other captive in place with nothing but a firmly pointed finger and raised eyebrows.  Before he could do more, his companion's blade sliced down and shattered the other prisoner into a cloud of shimmering sparkles.  Another mob dead.  Ren set his jaw but knew that they'd been left with little choice.

"Don't throw your life away so casually," he cautioned the lone remaining prisoner, who merely nodded slowly without moving a muscle.  The point had been flagrantly made. "Why were you following us in the first place?"  The bandit jutted his chin out towards Zamek.  

"Loot and desperation, plus a couple of...umm... gentlemen crazy enough to wander into the desert wearing full plate."  His eyes darted between Ren and Aus by way of example, each of them looking like they'd just been pooped on by a blast furnace.

"We should finish him as well."  Back to his old ways already, Aus would not argue that they had no supplies to spare and couldn't be afforded the added burden of a prisoner, and he'd be right.

"No.  That's not who we are."  Doubt lingered that the statement could be applied equally to both of them, and they both knew it.

"That sort of thinking got our friends killed."  The bile was barely concealed behind his lips.

"No.  You're wrong, Austerlitz.  It's what kept them alive as long as possible."

ID 213081 | CD 6 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213082 | Gathering LD 9+7=16 | CD 5+2=7 | Find 3 material, 2,500 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
28 Materials
20,000 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

Their prisoner sat quietly, absorbing the exchange between his captors.  A distinct devil versus angel aspect could not be denied, except they were armed, not on his shoulders, and bigger than him.  Their debate seemed to have reached an impasse.  Notably, Ren had never let his gaze waver from the man.  He knew that doing so might provoke another escape attempt, which was precisely what Aus wanted.  

"Maybe you've learned a few things after all."  Steel scraped on the stout leather of a scabbard as the danger sat back on its heels.  The nomad chose to do the same, reading the room as well as the others.

"Zamek.  Please watch him for a moment."  Ren stood and wandered nearer the other knight so speak more privately.  Whatever the substance of their exchange, Aus was at least willing to listen.  Peering over Ren's shoulder from time to time, his grey gaze maintained its piercing, hawkish demeanor.

"Fine.  The storm seems to be waning, though it could still be a few hours.  We'll try it your way, if only to see if your luck holds out."  A nod was Ren's only reply as he moved to sit next to their ward and keep watch.

"Tell me more about your travels, old man.  We could use some tall tales while we wait."

ID 213083 | CD 2 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213084 | Gathering LD 1+7=8 | CD 11+2=13 | Find 0 material, 0 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
28 Materials
20,000 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

"Come on.  On your feet."  Their captive wasn't sure how long they'd been in the cave, but the tireless grinding of wind against stone had finally abated.  The desert's fury had been blessedly short, this time, and likely spared them a torturous death by dehydration.

"What happens now?"  He honestly didn't know and wasn't sure what to expect.  His tribe would have drained these men for the water in their veins.  Such was the substance of true treasure in these wastelands.

"Now we let Fate decide."  Ren cut the man's bonds and stepped aside, providing access to the exit.  "You'll get no more help nor hindrance from us.  If you can offer the same in exchange."  Deception was expected.  Honour died on the sands out here, or got you killed.  His former brother would have turned upon these men the moment he was given the opportunity.  He was dead because of that kind of thinking.  Standing and rubbing stiffness away from his wrists, he stepped skeptically towards the cave mouth.  Betrayal never came.

"What is your name?"  Ren didn't really expect an answer, but asked on a hunch.

"I am Bukha, stranger."  It came haltingly, as if against his better judgement, but something gave him cause to trust.

"Rencesvals." His mailed hand offered the nomad his freedom.  "Good luck."

One more lingering look, as if to gauge the measure of his enemies, then the raider was gone.

ID 213085 | CD 12 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213086 | Gathering LD 10+7=17 | CD 5+2=7 | Find 3 material, 2,500 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
31 Materials
22,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

It took less than an hour for Zamek to guide them the rest of the way, the old man's gait accelerating the closer he came to his prize.  Slumping to his knees in the thick layered sand deposited by the storm, he nevertheless knew the spot intuitively.  Desiccated fragments of wood and iron protruded from the soil like ancient dinosaur bones.  Scraps of frayed cloth snapped in the breezy aftermath, somehow having survived the rigors of climate and time.  A hollow thunk and tensing of Zamek's shoulders signaled a find.  Clawing at the ground with his bare hands, he drew forth a heavy iron lockbox from its wasteland grave.  One might have thought his very heart was locked inside by how desperately he struggled to open it.

Ren noticed the tears, saying nothing.  A key produced from beneath layered age and cloth, shakingly made its way to the lock and clicked.  Trembling as he pulled open the lid, Zamek looked to be on the verge of collapse.

"Are you alright, friend?"  Strangely, the metal gauntlet felt oddly warm and soothing.  Ren could see the contents from his vantage: an assortment of embroidered cloths, a tiny ragged child's doll and several leafs of folded parchment.  

Treasure indeed.

ID 213087 | CD 8 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213088 | Gathering LD 11+7=18 | CD 2+2=4 | Find 1 material, 0 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
32 Materials
22,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

Like ghosts, a dozen men suddenly materialized and surrounded the group, spears and daggers at the ready and dour expressions on their leathery faces. Ren and Aus twisted and whirled, their blades bared to meet these assailants head-on and ready to take down as many as they could in the process.  Were these from the same band that trailed them from Fortaleza?  It seemed likely, though impossible to know for certain, until one familiar face appeared as a flap of fabric fell from his shoulders.  Bukha.

A hiss slipped through Aus' clenched lips, seething at the revelation and for having trusted Ren's instincts against his better judgement.  Their options were few and none of them good.  

"Happy now?"  Ren just stood his ground, eyes locked with Bukha's as if peering into the man's soul to see if he'd read him right.

The raider tilted his head and peered into Zamek's rummage box, then smiled.

"It seems that this old man's claims were exaggerated."  An opening.

"One man's treasure, as they say."  A smirk.

"There is no longer any profit here, and their water has been taken by the desert.  Slaying them would spill our own for no purpose."  Bukha pressed the flat of his blade against his heart, bowing slightly, then turning to leave.  Ren's gamble had paid off, though it took him another minute or two after they departed to let go his breath.

ID 213089 | CD 9 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213090 | Gathering LD 7+7=14 | CD 2+2=4 | Find 1 material, 0 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
33 Materials
22,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

"What the hell just happened?"  Aus' tone revealed genuine confusion. Slapping his visor up to glare confusedly at his companions confirmed it.

"We took a chance and it paid off," Ren responded, calmly and rejuvenated by what he had just witnessed.  A mob had shown them mercy in return for being shown the same.  Could virtue be learned beneath the Cardinal's guise?  Was it just a trick of programming - some viable win condition already embedded in a quest?  Maybe, but it offered all of them a glimmer of hope and had spared all three of their lives.

"This doesn't add up.  It must be a trick."  Ren knew his friend would struggle with this.  It wasn't in his programming to accept it, at least without considerable struggle. 

"Faith doesn't function by the mandates of a formula, Austerlitz.  It is a manifestation of trust and understanding, or at least the willingness to believe they might be possible.  Respect is a powerful tool."  You could practically hear the elder knight's jaw smack shut.  He wouldn't accept it easily, but the evidence was hard to deny.

"Come on, Zamek.  I'll carry those for you.  It looks like you have a heavy enough burden already."

ID 213091 | CD 9 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213092 | Gathering LD 1+7=8 | CD 1+2=3 | Find 0 material, 0 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
33 Materials
22,500 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

The swollen red sun was dipping into the horizon by the time they reached the outskirts of Fortaleza, it decrepit archway marking a tangible edge to their safe return.  Austerlitz stopped a dozen yards from it and looked back.  Had he spotted something?  Could it be that the raiders followed them still?

"Trouble?"  Ren's hand immediately wreathed itself around his sword hilt.  He's learned a few valuable lessons himself on this outing, and refused to let himself be caught off guard so readily again.  Helm tilting slightly forward in a pensive manner, Aus' had finally reached his conclusion.

"No.  Not in the sense you mean, at least."  Creaking signaled a slight turn to the sight as hints of grey looked from the corner of a narrow vision.  Revelation lays in the periphery.  "I may have misjudged you."  Dipping the tip of his blade, Ren realized where this was going and what was truly happening.  

"Perhaps we both just had flawed expectations.  You've taught me a great deal, Karl."  Raising a hand by way of apology, Ren continued.  Honesty required setting aside the veneer, if only momentarily.  "The others still need us - and both of our perspectives.  You could just as easily have been right today."

ID 213093 | CD 5 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213094 | Gathering LD 19+7=26 | CD 7+2=9 | Find 3 material, 2,500 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
36 Materials
25,000 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

A nod amidst doubts.  Progress made.  

"Keep doing what you're doing, Sakata.  We need you keeping the best of us alive in this place."  Closing his visor without another word, he clenched a crystal looped into his belt.  It cracked and burst into swirling blue lights that engulf the dark knight's form.  An instant later he was gone.  Ren felt the weight on Zamek's hand on his shoulder.

"He'll be alright.  And thank you, for what you both did today.  Not many would have made the time or taken the harder road."  Two gentle pats and the clinking of coins in a small purse tossed his way.  The old man's eyes eased with a mix of joy and sorrow.  His word kept, he claimed the memory box and bowed slightly in thanks before turning and wandering through the arch.

A ping confirmed completion of a quest.  Ren ignored it.  Life's adventures didn't start and end so readily.  Today's would remain with him for many days to come and inspire him to take a chance on people wherever he could; to have faith even in the face of doubt.  Even if it only occasionally paid off, it would be worth it.

ID 213095 | CD 8 (Sandstorm) | No damage

ID 213096 | Gathering LD 19+7=26 | CD 3+2=5 | Find 2 material, 1,000 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
38 Materials
26,000 Col

Edited by Rencesvals

Long shadows stretched across fields of red dust as the sun made its final descent.  Overhead, a glimpse of bluish purple flit across the cloudless sky as night swallowed the final vestiges of light.  One by one, stars twinkled into existence, emerging from behind deepening indigo to blaze with the light of distant hope.  Each was connected to the others by imperceptible, intangible lines like some sort of celestial tapestry.  Ren knew something of astronomy, but tossed the mental references aside to soak in the raw wonder in the tapestry weaving itself from darkness overhead.  

A flutter in his chest.  The feeling of Vindalia's breath on his neck.  Closing his eyes, Ren just savored the moment on its own merits and drew upon inspiration to fuel all that was to follow, whatever it might entail.

Nearby, a campfire burned with several families gathered around, sharing stories of their day, grandiose tales full of hijinks and daring, each of them devoured by the awe-filled eyes of the children gathered at their parents' knees.  Zamek was among them, surrounded by his remaining family and friends.  Ren took the meaning and importance.  

"I will not forget."

(Return to town.  Sandstorm effect ends.)

ID 213097 | Gathering LD 2+7=9 | CD 7+2=9 | Find 0 material, 0 col

Total:
2 Demonic Shards
38 Materials
26,000 Col

Thread Summary:

1,020 EXP (Word Count [5207/10*1*1] + Quest [500])
26,900 col (1 page [400] + Foraging [26,000] + Quest [500])
Materials: 38 (Foraging [38])
Unlock Survival extra skill

Edited by Rencesvals