Alright, so after roleplaying a bit with Ethereal and Soul (Dylan too, though he hasn't interacted with the group yet), I've come up with a question: do you believe there is pain in SAO, or not? Now, in the first episode, Klein clearly can't feel any pain, as both Kirito and Klein eventually admit that there is no pain themselves. However, in EP. 24 of the anime, Kirito says that: "The blades in SAO hit way harder, and hurt more," contradicting the initial reactions of Klein and Kirito.

I, for one, believe that after Kayaba announced that they were trapped within the death game, he lowered the pain absorption from its maximum setting to a lower one, probably no lower than six or seven. Mostly because of the reactions players get when they're hit; they almost always grunt or scream (i.e. Moonlit Black Cats; they all made sounds of pain as they were being slaughtered).

I suppose this doesn't actually matter all too much, but I've always written my posts assuming that players could indeed feel pain, so I just wanted to get the opinions of a couple of others.

I always assumed there was probably a low level of pain or discomfort. Something like electric shock therapy. When the players get hit they feel it, but I don't think it's the same way you would feel it in real life. Along with the pain I think the game simulates fatigue, slowing your movement, making things heavier as your character suffers damage or uses their energy attacking. There's a couple points in the show where the characters seemed to be exhausted after a battle.

• 2 weeks later...