[SP-F9] Snakes & Cats | <<Feeding Your Enemy>>

Sweat dripped off Morningstar's brow, stinging his eye. Willow coughed behind him, exiting the teleportation pad. Yōgan Village, home to the ninth floor's only means of teleportation, was scalding as always. Star made eye contact with a few members of the local mining guild, smiling as he passed. The people were pleasant enough, although his memories of the floor were quite the opposite. Willow caught up, intertwining her arm with his. "You okay?" she asked.

"Yeah. It's just been a while," Morningstar assured.

"Okay. Do you know where the monster tamer is?"

"She's got a setup near an alchemist. Apparently she moves around a lot. Her tent's only here for the day."

They found the traveling gypsy quickly. Tents were non-existent in a place so flammable, so it was not difficult to locate her. After asking a few workers, they were pointed in the right direction. Morningstar lifted the tent's flap, peeking inside. It was hotter inside than it was out. It was no wonder why the gypsy would only stay a day. He did not think he could last an hour, frankly.

"Hi," he called, getting the gypsy's attention. "We're looking for the beast tamer."

"Oh, come in dears! That would be me!" The gypsy waved them over.

There were no proper seats in the tent. Instead, the three of them sat on the floor, using cushions as padding. She had a single lantern lighting the place, which was fine because it was rather small. At her side, a wolf curled up, asleep. If it weren't so hot, Morningstar would have found it cozy.

"Now, I take it you two are in the market for familiars of your own?"

Morningstar nodded. "Yes. We were told that you might be able to help us with that."

"Yes, of course, dearie! First, let me tell you a story."

jGiiWFK.png

[ lv. 49  ->   l. 33 / p. 16 ]
MORNINGSTAR | HP: 720/720 | EN: 110/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 80 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4

Hide contents

notes.

Hide contents

equipped

• bleeding giant
    BLD II, FB II
  • red longcoat
    EVA II, REC I
  • sapphire
    ACC III, EVA I

battle-ready inventory

• healing salve | HP III
  • (x5) health potion | HP I
  • (x5) teleport crystal
  • magdalyn's cuckoo 

skills.

Hide contents

mod count: 3/5

• 2HSS | RANK 5/5
    • precision, stamina, ferocity
    • shift: tech
  • CLOTH ARMOR | RANK 5/5
    • athletics, nimble
  • COMBAT MASTERY: DMG | RANK 3/3
  • SEARCHING | RANK 4/5 (5)
    • night vision, detect
  • BATTLE HEALING | RANK 5/5
  • ENERGIST
  • CHARGE

extra

1. SURVIVAL
  2. FORGOTTEN KING'S AUTHORITY
  3. LADY LUCK
  4. DISGUISE

buffs.

Hide contents

statue

• n/a

consumables 

• liquor of light | DMG III
  • mortal instants | MIT III
  • smores | EVA II
  • gelato | LD III
  • the stars collide | PHEROMONES

paragon

• Lv. 5 | Gain additional col equivalent to 15% of EXP earned in that thread.
  • Lv. 10 | +1 LD

arts.

Hide contents

en cost matches multiplier unless stated otherwise. shift underlined.

• ST | x12 -> x15 | x20
  • AOE | x11 -> x14
  • TECH-A | x16 | STUN | 13EN
  • TECH-B | x16 | DELAY
  • TECH-D | x16 | SHATTER

misc.

Hide contents
  • Well Rested | -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat.
  • Squeaky Clean | The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 25% (rounded down).
  • Filling | Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot. This can exceed normal Cook enhancement caps. Ex: A perfect T2 MIT food gives 35 MIT instead of 30.
  • Tasty | Turn 2 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Lesser Feast. A Lesser Feast contains 4 portions of the food items sacrificed. Lesser Feasts created this way cannot be used outside of the thread they are created. Limit 1 item created per thread.
  • Relaxed | Increases out-of-combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
  • Advanced Training | +10% EXP to a thread. Limit one use per month. Must be used on a player's first post in a thread. Cooldown begins counting down when used in a post.
  • Multipurpose | Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll.
  • Skylight (Searching) | +1 Expertise to declared utility skill. 
  • Working | +2 EXP per crafting attempt

gathering

• n/a

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

The story was long-winded and mostly irrelevant NPC dialogue; nonetheless, Morningstar enjoyed it quite a bit. The gypsy questioned them, prodding for info regarding what kinds of beasts they were looking to tame and why they were interested in a familiar at all.

"I guess I'm not picky. I had a pet growing up and I think I just miss having one around," was Morningstar's answer.

"I'd like a cat. I've heard they have hellcats somewhere in the Volcanic Flatlands. I'm the opposite of him. I never had pets as a kid but I've always wanted one," was Willow's.

Satisfied, the woman handed them each a small burlap bag. Inside of them was food. "I'll loan you these. They'll help you tame your critters. When you're finished, come back and show me what it is you've managed to tame," she smiled warmly.

And off they went to the Volcanic Flatlands.

Edited by Morningstar

Morningstar stood at the city's edge, waiting for Willow. She had stopped in at an alchemist that neighbored the traveling gypsy's tent, hoping to replenish her stock of crystals and potions. Leaning against the gate, inches from the invisible line that marked the safe zone, he glared out at the volcanic wasteland. Images burned in his mind of a time not yet forgotten. The hot sand pressing against his face, his stunned body forced to watch as Grace reached out to him, begging for help. Her body turning to crystal blue dust and mixing with the sandstorm. And then, months later, he stood over the body of a cloaked figure. Blood red hair poured out from under his hood and even before Morningstar could see his face, he knew who it was. 

He recalled the despair in Joaquin's voice as Katar made his choice. There was conflict within the swordsman, and Morningstar knew that. And yet, there was no forgiveness in his heart. Joaquin was not there, that day on floor five. He had not seen what Morningstar had. 

Katar had betrayed them. Whether he was even alive anymore, Morningstar was unsure. The last he had seen of the samurai, a group had come to his "rescue." Judging by their appearances and Katar's history, they were an unsavory group.

He blinked, a sigh escaping his lips, chapped from the heat. Willow rejoined him, a few items in hand. "Ready to go?" She asked.

"Yeah. Long day ahead of us, I expect."

Posted (edited)

Phasing through the flames like they were nothing, Morningstar cut down a Lava Elemental. Behind him, Willow clashed with a Magma Golem, it's tough exterior proving to be more of a challenge than Morningstar's adversary. More began to spawn in the distance, rock and lava forming their physical bodies. Slowly, they moved towards the duo.

The flatlands were as he remembered: hot and deadly. Monsters had been on their trail ever since they left the village and there was no end in sight. Flames spat out from geysers in the ground, forcing them to watch their step and position far more awkwardly. Willow's fist found its place in the golem's thick belly, cracking its rocky plating. She smirked as it crumbled away and loot poured into her inventory.

"Hey!" She shouted, "I got a scale!"

"Lucky you," Morningstar rolled his eyes, shaking the tiny vial he had received, at which she laughed.

Spoiler

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 15 EN): 15 EN - (Well Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 12 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 219793 | BD: 6 (hit) | 26*16=416 DMG to Lava Elemental

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 98/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 80 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4

Lava Elemental | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132

Looting:

ID: 219794 LD: 1+9=10 CD: 4
(396*3)+(396*2)=1,980 col
1 material
T4 Uncommon Consumable 219794

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

1,980 col
1 material

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

As he put the vial away, he heard a raspy sound behind him. Willow yelled for him to watch out. Another elemental had spawned behind him. He spun, dashing out of the lava creature's way, only reengaging once he knew he was in the clear. He cut through it like butter, it's flames fanning outwards as it exploded into nothingness, returning to Cardinal. He read over the loot summary. "Oh, look," he laughed, "it dropped a shard."

"What?! Really?! Lucky us!"

"Let's finish off these last few, maybe we'll get some more," Morningstar swished the summary away, his sword pointed at the crew of lava elementals and magma golems that were headed in their direction.

Willow raced ahead even before Morningstar could. He watched as she took down another golem, this time with little difficulty. Ever since she had switched from swords to martial arts, she seemed more comfortable in combat. He followed her lead.

Spoiler

Morningstar gains 4 EN from REC (ID: 219797 CD: 12)

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 15 EN): 15 EN - (Well Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 12 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 219795 | BD: 5 (hit) | 26*16=416 DMG to Lava Elemental

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 86/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 80 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4

Lava Elemental | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132

Looting:

ID: 219796 LD: 16+9=25 CD: 11
(396*3)+(396*2)=1,980 col
1 material
1 Demonic Shard
Random Dungeon Map 219796

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

3,960 col
2 material
1 Demonic Shard

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

In a flash of golden light, Morningstar stunned a squadron of four lava elementals that had grouped up around him. He snuck out from under them, looking around for Willow, who he had lost sight of in the heat (no pun intended) of battle.

She had taken a seat upon a slab of long-since hardened magma, where she waited patiently for Morningstar to finish up with his mobs. He rolled his eyes, to which she chuckled. "Gotta be quicker than that," she teased.

"You just keep an eye out for your hellcat and I'll take my time with these guys," Morningstar turned back to his fiery opponents. Lava dripped to the ground, singing the volcanic earth. They remained unmoving, Morningstar's quadruple stun keeping them from fighting him back.

"Any day now, Stephen. Your pet is probably getting away at this very moment."

"Yeah, yeah," Morningstar smirked, activating another sword art.

Spoiler

REC not activated (ID: 219798 CD: 6)

Post Action | TECH-F (x12, 19 EN): 19 EN - (Well Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 16 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 219799 | BD: 10 (hit) | 28*12=336 DMG to Lava Elemental 1
ID: 219800 | BD: 7 (hit) | 26*12=312 DMG to Lava Elemental 2
ID: 219801 | BD: 3+4=7 (hit) | 26*12=312 DMG to Lava Elemental 3
ID: 219802 | BD: 5+4=9 (hit) | 26*12=312 DMG to Lava Elemental 4

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 70/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 80 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4

Lava Elemental 1 | HP: 60/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED
Lava Elemental 2 | HP: 84/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED
Lava Elemental 3 | HP: 84/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED
Lava Elemental 4 | HP: 84/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

Twisting and snaking around his opponents, he took them out one by one. Each of the elementals died in fiery bursts, vanishing into thin air. "Drops are good today," Morningstar said, chuckling. "Must be the gods."

"Is that what we're calling the system now?" Willow wrapped her arm around his and together, they wandered deeper into the flatlands.

Sweltering, they took a break upon a flat crag in the middle of nowhere. Teleport crystals would be their way home, it seemed, as neither of them was very inclined to walk back to Yōgan Village. Star tossed Willow a flask, filled to the brim with ice cold water. He had packed enough for a few days in the volcanic flatlands, knowing that whatever it was he was looking for could evade him forever, if he was unlucky.

Willow had her eyes set on something specific and he envied her for it. Cats were brilliant little critters, and Morningstar had considered looking for one for himself. If a cat was her choice, however, he decided that looking for something unique to him would be more fun. It wasn't like he couldn't interact with her familiar anyways.

Spoiler

REC not activated (ID: 219803 CD: 6)
Morningstar regains 4 EN
Lava Elemental 1 takes 40 DMG from FB
Lava Elemental 1 takes 48 DMG from BLD

Post Action | TECH-F (x12, 19 EN): 19 EN - (Well Rested 2/3; Stamina) = 16 EN
Free Action | None

ID: 219805 | BD: 2+4=6 (hit) | 26*12=312 DMG to Lava Elemental 2
ID: 219806 | BD: 10 (hit) | 28*12=312 DMG to Lava Elemental 3
ID: 219807 | BD: 4+4=8 (hit) | 26*12=312 DMG to Lava Elemental 4

Morningstar | HP: 720/720 | EN: 58/110 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 80 | EVA: 6 | ACC: 4 | BH: 39 | LD: 8 (9) | BLD: 48 | FB: 40 | REC: 4

Lava Elemental 1 | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED
Lava Elemental 2 | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED
Lava Elemental 3 | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED
Lava Elemental 4 | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132 | STUNNED

Looting:
Using Multipurpose on 219808 +1 LD
Using Magdalyn's Cuckoo on 219808 +3 LD
ID: 219808 LD: 12+9+1+3=25 CD: 8
ID: 219809 LD: 19+9=28 CD: 7
ID: 219810 LD: 7+9=16 CD: 3
ID: 219811 LD: 20+9=29 CD: 2
(4*(396*3))+(4*(396*2))+(2*(396*7))=13,464 col
4 materials
T4 Perfect Weapon 219808a
T4 Perfect Weapon 219808b
T4 Perfect Weapon 219808c
T4 Perfect Weapon 219809a
T4 Perfect Weapon 219809b
T4 Perfect Weapon 219809c
T4 Rare Consumable 219810a
T4 Rare Weapon 219810b
T4 Perfect Consumable 219811a
T4 Perfect Consumable 219811b
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 219811c
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 219811d

Spoiler

LOOT TOTAL

13,464 col
6 material
1 Demonic Shard
T4 Perfect Weapon 219808a
T4 Perfect Weapon 219808b
T4 Perfect Weapon 219808c
T4 Perfect Weapon 219809a
T4 Perfect Weapon 219809b
T4 Perfect Weapon 219809c
T4 Rare Consumable 219810a
T4 Rare Weapon 219810b
T4 Perfect Consumable 219811a
T4 Perfect Consumable 219811b
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 219811c
T4 Perfect Armor/Shield 219811d

Edited by Morningstar
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

"We're never coming back here," Morningstar wiped his forehead.

"I get why you hate it now," Willow sighed.

She took a long sip from her canteen, only stopping when she realized she had to breathe. He took a short look at her before glancing away. She was new in his life. She hadn't been around during the start. It wasn't only the heat that caused him to hate the ninth floor. It was history.

He had mentioned the story once, but briefly and only touching on a few points before closing off. But it had been years since the events took place and it no longer carried the same weight it once had.

"A long time ago," he started, pulling Willow's attention away from the cold water, "I made some friends. One, actually, I knew in my old life—before the game. His name was Joaquin and at the time, he led a small group within his guild. They'd always try to recruit me but I was in a weird headspace and never ready to commit. I always declined. One day, though, I joined them on a quest. Joaquin wasn't around, so he put one of his guys in charge. Katar was his name. Hair like yours, a katana, samurai robes, and a bit of an attitude. He was a reckless player known for getting himself and his parties into trouble."

Morningstar paused to sip his own water.

"But, he was a good guy."

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

Morningstar continued. "We left from Fortaleza, I think, on the fifth floor. We did a quest called the Traveler—have you heard of it? Yeah, that one. We spent a day or so in the desert just walking and it was a terrible time. Anyway, we ran into some desert bandits out there but they didn't give us any trouble and let us pass through. We found some ruins nearby and intended on resting for a while before nightfall, but the bandits had tracked us there."

He fiddled with a cool, solidified lava rock. Willow was listening intently. She realized where he was going with his story. She had already guessed the ending.

"Katar lost it. Charged through the door of our hideout and took down one bandit. He wasn't even thinking. There were only three at the front door but a few more in hiding that none of us could see. I followed him out and took a spear to the back. Bam—suddenly, I'm paralyzed. Bandits killed Grace and Simon, our other party members. Our NPC guide, Zamek, was hiding in the house, as he should have been. We killed the bandits and then Katar just teleported out."

"Took us months to find him again and by the time we did, he was orange and running with some low-life PK group. Haven't seen him in years, now, and I hope I never do again."

He left out the part about nearly killing Katar the last time they'd met.

Edited by Morningstar
Posted (edited)

A soft hand touched his shoulder. "I'm sorry," Willow told him.

He nodded. "Simon was just a kid. Fifteen, or something. He deserved better. Anyway, the heat's only fifty percent of the reason why I don't come here. This place tends to ruin my mood."

"Let's go," she smiled. "The sooner we get this done, the sooner we can leave."

"Yeah."

Conversation took a more cheerful note for the next stretch of their travels. Willow told him the story of her great-aunt's sixtieth birthday party. Horrendous laughter escaped from both of their lips; breathing and talking were equally difficult. "So, the dog pulls the table cloth and as she's moving in to blow out her candles, it tips over on her and her dress catches on fire!"

Through the excessive laughter, Morningstar spat out, "is it okay to find this funny?"

"No great-aunts were harmed that day," Willow assured him.

Edited by Morningstar

Somewhere down the line, the conversation had changed subjects once more. "Have you been to the Endless Caverns?"

"On Ten? Can't say that I have. What's there?"

"Not a ton," Willow said. "Shadow monsters and drakes, mostly. But it's really pretty. There's one area with like, glowing blue trees."

"Glowing blue trees?"

"Yeah... I don't know how to better explain them," she laughed.

Morningstar tried to recall a similar place but failed miserably. The tenth floor remained totally mysterious to him; he never really went near it. It was dark, gloomy, and quite dangerous if you didn't know your way around. The Endless Caverns, he had heard, were labyrinthian in nature and the other major locations were dreadful in name. He had little interest in an abandoned prison called Tartarus, if he was honest. There were far nicer places to be.

"Oh, oh! What about the shrines in the Labyrinth?" Willow was awfully curious ever since he mentioned he liked to explore.

He shook his head. "Only been to the Labyrinth once. It was sort of an in-and-out type of day. We took down the big titanium guy and then got the hell out. Not my favorite place."

"Mmm. Who's we?"

"Myself and a friend. Freyd's his name."

"So you do have friends, then?"

Star laughed, and was quickly joined by Willow. "Not really. I can count them with two hands. That's why were here today, yeah?"