[OP-F1] Brave New World

I took the boy's warning as something I should consider, I haven't tanked before and I don't wear armor at all so it almost made no sense for me to be doing so. Still, I was willing to tank to protect these players, even if I didn't even know their names. My feet followed him away from the group's ears and listened.

My eyes looked directly at the boy, who was concerned about the other players, we were alike in a strange way; wanted to protect those around us. I will do my best to keep out of your way while you tank. I'm probably the strongest in combat here so I'll do as you wish and do repeated attacks on the field boss and the minions. This will be a little hard to keep an eye on everyone but you need to stay focused on leading the attention to yourself. I'll kepp dealing damage while making sure the others do nothing stupid. I said, in a super serious tone above all. When it came to speaking about other players lives I was sensitive. I seriously considered taking the invite to icecream, it sounded so good right now, but I refused and held my head high.You don't need to repay me in any way, I'm just happy to help in any way I can.

I gripped his hand and smiled lightly. I'll help you. Oh and what is your name, I don't think I caught it?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angel smiled and nodded when they shook hands. But then she asked for his name and he faltered for a moment. He had recently grown a reluctant reaction to giving people his name because he learned something a long time ago; names have power. But when he looked at Mayonaka, he saw an eerily familiar blaze of excitement in her eyes. It was a look he himself often carried into battle. And even though her body was straight and controlled, he could see in those excitement filled eyes that it was but the calm before the storm. After a few seconds of thinking it over, he sighed. "Angel. My name is Angel."

After they were done talking, they returned to the group. Angel once again drew his sword and stabbed it into the ground, leaning on it again. "Alkor, the plans you proposed are great. But after talking a bit, Mayonaka and I have decided that I'll Tank alone while everyone else deals as much damage as they can to the main boss or the adds, whatever their choice." Then he swiveled on his heels to face the group. "Alright people, emotional/motivational speech time."

He picked up his sword and looked between everyone in the group. "So, field boss fight time. Not as important as a floor boss fight but it's just as scary. The same emotions might be there, even if you've never done something quite this daring. But remember to watch each others backs out there and to keep moving. Even though I've only known each of you for a few minutes, I'm glad to say that it's been an honor to fight by your side, and I hope we can do it again at some point. But first we need to beat this boss! So, are ya with me!?" He asked, throwing his sword hand in the air.

Ryuu, seeing that he was about to be alone yet again, decided that he needed to uncover his secret. 'I hope this works out. I'll be out on my own again.' He belted out, "Hey, don't ignore me!! I was a beta tester and have played this game long before some of you. I know I'm only level 1, but don't underestimate my knowledge of fighting mechanics. I just need someone to help me get a started a little. I can hold my own." He shifted his weight to allow him to stand taller, and his smile was gone, replaced with a determined glint in his eyes and a serious look on his face.

When Angel proclaimed that he'd be tanking alone, Alkor let out a snort. If that's what he wanted to do, then fine; Alkor wasn't going to argue with a player that wanted to gamble with their lives. After all, who was he to stop them? He didn't voice his frustration- quietly, he'd hoped that they would go with one of the plans that evened out the damage they all took and stood to save the party any deaths.

It seemed that Angel was more interested in keeping the job away from the rest of them. The Tank had said his name, which elicited an icy glare from the frigid youth. He hadn't given it directly to any of them, and if it had been up to him, he wouldn't have at all. Names were shared between people who were friends, or at the very least, long term party members. Alkor didn't have a desire to bond like that with anyone. In this world where people dropped like there was a plague, he didn't want the weight of friendship. "Do what you want," he said finally, "just try not to die."

Alkor himself had basic equipment, but he could deal a modest amount of damage. The newcomers who asked to join added numbers to the party that would be a bit more difficult to manage, but...

The brown haired swordsman shrugged. Angel was tanking, so he'd let him make the call.

Seeing that he was completely ignored, Ryuu decided to just leave. 'Whatever... These guys don't know what I know and since they aren't willing to just simply point me in a good direction or help me get something of a good start I don't need to waste my time with them.' Ryuu turned around to leave. "Forget it you guys. I'll see ya around, like at the next boss, when you will need me." On that note, he walked off away from everyone, determined to become stronger than all of them. 'As long as, my skills remains sharp and my mind sharper, I can win any battle. Thanks for nothing.'

Angel heard the player, <> and he turned his head to watch the player walk away. "What'd you just say?" He said as he glared over at the player who claimed he was a beta tester, or a "Beater" as most players had come to call their kind. Angel had roamed these fields and the ones above for a long time, and this was the first time he had met another Beater. But he was still offended, in a strange way. This player, someone he may have worked next to for months on end playing this game, had only recently entered the game and was still a low level. It was insulting, to use the title of Beta Tester and have such small progress to show for it. But something else that bothered Angel, was the players attitude towards his Beater status. He didn't reveal it and instead acted like an innocent new player. When Angel entered the game for the first time, he didn't reveal his background at first because he had seen players be chased out of towns and hunted for their past deeds. But that time was long gone, and there was no excuse for cowardice.

Angel walked after the player, his sword still poised on his shoulder. When he got net to Ryuu, he put his hand on the player's shoulder. "We didn't mean any offense, we're all just a little distracted at the moment." He faced the player, looking directly at him. "We could use the help, but you need to watch yourself out there. I don't intend to watch a player die today, ya got it?" He said with a small smile. A feeling of dread washed over him, not for attempting to convince the player to stay, but for having to come up with a new game plan to fit the player.

Ryuu looked at the player and examined his expression. 'Hmmm, he seems skeptical about me and it only took one phrase to illicit a reaction that pulled in my favor. I might have a chance here.' Ryuu then turned to face his new colleague to better address him. "I know what you are thinking. how could any beta tester be this low and pathetic.' Well it is a rather simple answer. As of today, this is my first day in the game. I came here to become stronger and protect others from a tragic experience. Yes I did just send myself into this death game willingly. I was one of the main strategists during to Floor 5 boss, if that helps at all."

"One way or another," Alkor interjected, "another sword will be an asset in this fight." He looked over Ryuu thoughtfully for a moment, then dismissed his thoughts with a shrug. "Just stay on your toes. We'll make sure you make it through."

He didn't have much else to offer or say to the man. Big talk didn't do anything in this world- and Ryuu wouldn't make good on any of his talk if he didn't live to prove himself. Alkor didn't care at all whether what he was saying we're true or not. At this point, they would run headlong into the next challenge. His only stipulation was that they all lived to remember it.

Maybe the experience would be enough to level them up? At the very least, it would make them stronger.

Ryuu nodded his head. "Don't worry too much. I don't plan on dying. But before we proceed, we must speak strategy. I just have a few questions. Then, if you are all willing to listen, I will tell you what I think. Firstly, do we have any spear users over lv 5? If we do, then they should have armor equipped and be stationed in the front to help even out the damage with the tank. The spear has a good reach and would thus hold off the boss for a longer amount of time, making reaction time and health less of a problem. Secondly, whose armor provides the best defense? They should also be front lining with the spear user, for obvious reasons, but only if they are at least lv 4. Lastly, the best offense? Whose has the best attack power? They along with everyone who is not going to be front lining should be in the back and prepared to switch to attack the moment the boss has finished an attack. That is when he will be the most vulnerable. With this formation I also believe a pincer attack would be quite effective. It would allow us more openings due to the shifting of the boss' attention." Ryuu felt good about the plan, but he just hoped that the others did too. Also he knew that changes would have to be made, but those come later, on the battlefield.

Angel's smile quickly faded. He wasn't really a man of strategy, and he didn't much care for long explanations about it either. "So, I'm still drawing the enemies' attention, while you all try to stab it to death. You guys could have just said that." Angel said with an innocent shrug. Then he drew his sword and equipped his shield. "So, shall we get this thing underway?" He asked, not really waiting for an answer. He started to jog down the hill, reaching down with his shield hand and scooping up a small, round rock as he did so. Then, when he was close enough to the first group of mobs, he threw the rock as hard as he could at one of the Boar adds. It hit the monster square in the rump and it turned towards him, a look of anger and frustration in its eyes. The 4 boars turned and started charging at him, their tusks exposed. Angel smiled slightly, raising his shield to block the attacks. Then they all crashed into his shield, sending him back a few feet but still standing his ground.

Angel 27/27

Boar 1 - 10/10

Boar 2 - 10/10

Boar 3 - 10/10

Boar 4 - 10/10

((Anyone who is participating in the fight, please put your health in when you post))

Alkor loosed an exasperated sigh when Angel finally spoke, then threw up his hands dismissively. "Let's just get to it, then," he said. The boars rushed toward the shielded Spearman intent on tearing him apart, but the man took no damage. Alkor took this as his cue to step in.

The sword came from his side deftly and he swiped at the closest boar, number three by his count. "Here goes..." Alkor let out a grunt as the weapon sank into the boar's hide, and the beast faltered beneath the weight of his strike. The rest of the group of pigs stayed completely focused on Angel, but the third squealed its rage and rounded.

Alkor deals 4 damage.

Angel 27/27

Alkor 15/15

Boar 1 10/10

Boar 2 10/10

Boar 3 6/10

Boar 4 10/10

They were already starting to take off and fight, and Ryuu wasn't just going to let them leave him in the dust. He charge after them and decided to attack the same boar the player, <>, did. 'The less enemies on the field the better.'

Ryuu kept into the air, and in a streak of blue and sliver, brought down his sword. The sword quickly sank into the beasts neck as it let out a squeal. As the beast cried in pain, Ryuu just drove his sword further, until it would no longer continue. He then pulled back to avoid the brunt of any backlash from the others.

Ryuu dealt a critical hit of 3 damage.

Angel - 27/27

Alkor - 15/15

Ryuu - 9/9

Boar - 10/10

Boar - 10/10

Boar - 3/10

Boar - 10/10

Well Angel, thank you. And I can tell you really care. I said before he turned to face the rest of the gang. Not really paying attention to the conversation or the beater, I let my mind wander off. I thought about Kayaba, my life back home, and the people around me. What was he thinking? Just trapping us here and leaving us to die like disposable chess pawns? I thought to myself before letting it carry me to another topic, filling in my opinion. I wonder what mom is doing right now. I bet they are worried about me but I know they will hold up until I get out of here...As for the rest of the players here..I have only made a few promises that I intend to keep. My eyes looked up to see that everyone had started to move into action, going to the field boss. I snapped out of it and equipped my starter sword.

Following the three into the attack, I ran right past them all, finding myself a boar to attack on my own. If I can take one out by myself then there'll be less danger for everyone else, I'll minimize the threat! I thought and leaped off of the ground. As I was in the air, I spun. On the third spin I came crashing down onto a boar, dealing a little bit of damage to it. It squeal then looked at me with glazed red eyes.

Mayonaka 31/31

Angel - 27/27

Alkor - 15/15

Ryuu - 9/9

Boar - 10/10

Boar - 9/10

Boar - 3/10

Boar - 10/10

Angel kept his grip on his shield, even as the boars tried to crush him into the dirt. But the rest of the group seemed to react as they charged in and started to attack the boars. Angel raised his sword arm and took aim at the one with the lowest health. His eyes darted everywhere, making sure to keep track of everything as he struck the boar.....

[Dice]

Damage: 1 + 1(Weapon) + 1 (Skill) = 3 Total

Angel growled as he plunged his sword tip into the boar's hide and it exploded into a thousand pixels. "We're doing great everyone, keep it up!" He said through the combat as he attention focused on the remaining boars.

Mayonaka 31/31

Angel - 27/27

Alkor - 15/15

Ryuu - 9/9

Boar - 10/10

Boar - 9/10

Boar - DEAD (1 Material Gained)

Boar - 10/10

"Next," he drawled, his blade slicing clean and upward toward the boar that Mayonaka had struck. The blade wedged itself into the small creature with a sick gurgle that sounded like flesh splitting and blood belching out from a gash. Blood in this instance had been replaced by a stream of glowing red data.

Alkor peeled his blade free of the boar with a coarse yank, and the beast squealed and relented in its assault on Angel, giving the man just a little bit more breathing room. "...hmph."

He stretched his neck casually and a few pops came, the realistic sound of bones loosening and joints relaxing emanating from his digital body. It made him feel alive.

Alkor deals 4 damage. (1 base + 1 weapon + 2 skill)

Mayonaka: 31/31

Angel: 27/27

Alkor: 15/15

Ryuu: 9/9

Boar 1: 10/10

Boar 2: 5/10

Boar 3: Dead

Boar 4: 10/10

Ryuu shifted his attention to one of the two boars left with full health. 'They already have two attacking that one, so it would be unnecessary for me to follow. I could easily reduce their attack strength by eliminating this one two, so all three of us could attack the last one.' He charged what he counted as the first one, being sure to draw its attention.

Sadly, he just barely missed and the boar seemed to have gotten just out of the reach of his blade by the time he brought it down. 'Ugh! I moved to slow. Curse this infernal system limiting my actual strength!'

Ryuu - 9/9 (Missed)

Angel - 27/27

Alkor - 15/15

Mayonaka - 29/29

Boar - 10/10

Boar - 5/10

Boar - DEAD

Boar - 10/10

[OOC- Sorry for the late post, I was waiting to see if anyone else was going to post, unaware it was my turn to go!~]

Knowing that if I was going to do any damage I knew I had switch swords. I crouched down behind a tree and opened up my HUD. After about a minute of scrolling I found my beloved sword that did the most damage. I unequipped my starter sword and reached behind me to retrieve my new sword from my back.

With the group doing so well when I looked up to see a boar explode into tiny blue pixels, marking it dead. The other boars still had full health excluding one with only half of it's health, in the yellow zone. Noticing that the beater missed his attack I came behind him and jumped, expecting to do a lot more damage with my sword that I just switched out. Just before I was about to land an attack on the boar, from my left I could hear a squeal. I looked left and saw a charging boar, I looked back at the boar I was trying to hit and raised my sword. I brought it down hard but missed the boar completely due to the fact that the previous board stabbed it's tusks into my leg.

[sword Equipped: Sword of The Unknown Knight +2 DMG except on 9-10, cannot make a crit. Paralyze on 9-10]

Mayonaka 29/31

Angel - 27/27

Alkor - 15/15

Ryuu - 9/9

Boar - 10/10

Boar - 5/10

Boar - DEAD

Boar - 10/10

"Mayonaka!" Angel shouted as he saw one of his party members take a hit. Then he focused back on the boars. Using both arms, he shoved his shield forward. With the force he had put behind his swing, he managed to push back the boars that were against his shield. Taking the moment to breath, he tosses his sword into the air. Then, in one swift movement, opens his menu, selects a new set of gear, and closes his menu as everything falls into place. His armor changed from his dark, feathered <> to his new set, <>. The armor was maroon in color with a dark purple trim. Shoulder spikes added a sinister look to the player as he reached up and caught his newest sword.

The blade had changed while in mid air. Now, it was black and look stronger than anything. Angel twirled the blade in his hands, looking for an enemy to attack. One of the boars he had shoved earlier had recovered and was once again charging him. Angel narrowed his eyes at the opponent. "Frenzy Slice!" He shouted and his black blade flashed green. Then he swung.....

[Dice]

..... But the Boar was faster than Angel as it crashed headfirst into his shield. The player was knocked off his balance and his focused was blurred. He wasn't sure where to look because the Boars had split up and were now running around, charging whatever looked like a target. Angel frowned. The situation had lost control. He easily could have corralled the monsters back to him, but then there was a chance he'd awaken the boss early. That would cause more problems than solve them. So instead, Angel ran after one of the closer Boars.

Mayonaka 29/31

Angel - 26/27 (-1 Due to Damage Mitigation)

Alkor - 15/15

Ryuu - 9/9

Boar - 10/10

Boar - 5/10

Boar - DEAD

Boar - 10/10

"Alright guys," Alkor called out, "let's get everything back under control, before bad things start happening."

Calm down. Calm everyone down. You can't think when you're irrational. Alkor's eyes darted quickly, skillfully between each of the creatures and his allies in turn, and he took his blade in hand as he strode forward into the heart of danger. He'd call the attention of the creatures to himself, just long enough for Mayonaka and Angel to regroup. His yelling succeeded in gratifying his purpose; all the mobs seemed suddenly interested in the young player.

"Angel, focus!" He called out to the man, "switch with me. The rest of us will deal with mobs that stray and attack other players. We need you to take care of all of us." He didn't know how this came so naturally to him, but calling out orders seemed like the right thing to do. Wasn't it? "Are you alright, May?" He asked her, offering brief but concise acknowledgment to her dilemma. He knew she was.

Alkor saw the boar coming and hefted his blade defensively, but failed to react in time. The angry boar trampled over him, taking a small portion of his HP with it. Alkor let out a dissatisfied grunt. "Little jacka..."

Mayonaka 29/31

Angel - 26/27

Alkor - 13/15

Ryuu - 9/9

Boar - 10/10

Boar - 5/10

Boar - DEAD

Boar - 10/10