[PP-F1] The Babysitting Job (Pepper)

Angel had accepted a job to babysit a child; how hard could it be? As he walked through Starting City, his eyes scanned the surrounding area for the little girl that he was supposed to protect/teach. He had learned about the child, Pepper, through her foster mother, Oske. Oske was also the one who had offered the job in the first place. Angel had only met Oske once or twice during his time in the virtual world, but that didn't effect him too much. All he knew was that she needed help and he had answered the called.

After walking a few more feet, he found Pepper. She was sitting on a nearby bench, looking rather uncomfortable as she did so. She seemed distracted and fidgety as she sat quietly, apparently waiting for Angel to arrive. He hoped that he could make some kind of a connection to this kid, so as to make the job easier and to help her get used to him. He took a deep breath and walked up to her. "Hello, you must be Miss Pepper." He said as nicely as he could. He looked down at the smaller player, at least he thought she was a player. She dressed like an NPC, with a small dress replacing where armor would normally rest.

He shook the thought away and continued with the introduction. "So, Miss Oske has hired me to keep an eye on you and to teach you a thing or two about fighting. My name's Angel." He said, his hands behind his back and his stance tall. Something about the girl told him she wasn't much of a hand shaker.

Pepper looked up, then narrowed her eyes and paused with a slight pout on her lip. This guy wasn’t anything like Oske, clearly. He wasn’t shy or cool or awesome or anything like that to her standards. She rolled her eyes and stood up. She couldn’t even believe that Mommy was making her do all this.

“Fine, whatever,†Pepper snorted, crossing her arms. “Let’s just get this over with. By the way, I want all the Col we get from killing monsters. Deal? Deal.†She didn’t bother to wait for an answer. She then equipped her short sword, marching ahead. “Hurry up!â€

Angel raised an eyebrow as Pepper stood up and started walking away, after stating her demands of course. As she marched towards the fields, he slowly started to grin. "Deal." He said quietly as he followed after her. She had a short sword, no surprise there. Angel used a one handed longsword and a shield in combat, making him what players refer to as a "Tank." He figured that he'd teach Pepper about swordplay and stances or something while he kept the situation under control. It seemed fairly obvious that she didn't want to be told what to do by anyone except Oske; and he could respect that.

He increased his pace to a brisk speed walk to keep up with the child. Then he was next to her, keeping up with her. He glanced down at her for a second, and then looked straight ahead. "You don't like me very much, do you?" He said bluntly, already knowing the answer. Her body language said it all, but he figured he'd give it a shot.

"Nope. Don't really like anyone, and you don't seem to strike my fancy, mister." she said in a mocking tone, remembering how he had called her "miss". She entered the field, and immediately a monster spawned. She looked at her pathetic short sword, hoping Oske would make her a nicer one soon. She knew she had been talking about it before. Pepper suddenly ran forward, slashing the boar in the nose. It roared in anger and grunted, getting ready to charge. Pepper smirked at Angel, showing him that she could take care of herself. She boar then knocked her over, not dealing any damage, but knocking her over at least.

Pepper: 9/9

Boar: 1/2

Damage Dealt: 1 (basedmg1)

Angel raised his eyebrow and almost laughed a little. "You don't like anyone? Well, what about Miss Oske? You seem to like her, huh?" He asked, his eyes still ahead. "And, if I may ask, what it your fancy? I'd hate to go through this whole trip with you hating me." He said before she charged forward, slashing at a Boar. Angel saw that she hit it, and then it hit her. Even though it did no damage, Angel was still a little concerned. "You alright?" He asked as he walked forward and grabbed the boar by it's tusks. He held it firmly for a moment before turning it and tossing it to the side, away from the two. It quickly got up and glared at them, a burning look in it's eyes. Angel looked down at Pepper. "You want this one or should I take care of it?" He asked, honestly not sure how she'd react.

Angel 27/27

Pepper 9/9

Boar 1/2

“Of course I like Mommy,†Pepper snapped. “But I don’t like you. You’re annoying.â€

She glanced at the boar that he had tossed. “I can take care of everything by myself. I’m a big girl, duh.†She stood up and got ready to charge. With a shout, she stabbed the boar three times right in to face. She then jumped back, panting as it burst into little blue shards.

Damage Dealt: 3 (basedmg1+crit2)

Angel 27/27

Pepper 9/9

Boar 0/2 !DEAD!

Angel raised an eyebrow as he watched the girl violently finish off the boar and it disappeared into the all too familiar blue pixel barrage that signified death. He looked back up at Pepper as the little girl stood there, out of breath from the attack. He cocked his head to the side, curious about how he should approach the situation. It would be tough, no, impossible to get this girl to like him. But his job wasn't to get her to like him, it was to teach her how to fight and to keep an eye on her.

"I'm sorry." He said, sitting on the grass while still looking over at Pepper. "I didn't mean to annoy you. But Miss Oske wanted me to protect you. I know you don't want protection, and that you don't need it, but Miss Oske wanted it. So, can you try to tolerate me until it's time for you to go back home?" He asked, never taking his eyes off the child. He watched her for two reasons; one, because he didn't trust her for a second. And two, because they were outside of the safezone and sneak attacks were common in the grasslands.

"F-ine," Pepper said, crossing her arms and making sure to draw out her words in a mocking tone. She then looked over her shoulder, unsure of what exactly this dumby was going to teach her. "So? What do we do now?"

She looked at her sword. She only had one skill point on it. It would take a while to get there, but starting to train would be the first step. She then rolled her eyes and looked up at Angel. "I want to fight, fight, fight. I want to be a frontliner!" She swung her sword around mimicking a front liner and imaging a giant scary boss in front of her that would soon shatter as she destroyed it with her mighty power. She wobbled and fell on her butt.

Angel raised an eyebrow, his smile slowly disappearing. Seeing the young girl so eager to fight something like a floor boss, it almost made him sick to his stomach. But he kept his composure as he cleared his throat. "Trust me kid, it's not all fun and games. People get hurt in boss fights, or worse." He said, his eyes getting a little cloudy as a memory crept into his head. But he quickly shook the thought away and returned his attention to Pepper. He stood up and picked up his sword. "Come on, we've got training to do." He said as he lead her to a new hunting area.