[PP-F2] Long Live the Queen (with Lessa)

Long Live the Queen - Boss Battle

FOT_wasp.png

Alyssa had mentioned that boss mobs were a very important part of leveling up and gaining loot within the game.  In the conversation it was mentioned that one of the less ferocious of these bosses was a creature known as the Wasp Queen located on Floor 2 among the wind wasps.  Apparently if you kill a number of wind wasps a secret quest appears to kill her called Long Live the Queen.  Now this was the type of thing Asagi had been looking forward to all along.  The chance at truly becoming more powerful and raising his level, maybe even getting some very nice loot as well.  With Alyssa by his side he was pretty sure he would have nothing to worry about.  As they strolled towards the teleport point in order to go to Floor 2 he turned over to his party-mate.  Bringing up the menu he invited Lessa to a party.

"Well time to party up, you know the place we are going so I think you will be leading the way Alyssa.  Also, thanks again for this, one day I will be able to overcome all of these beasts but for now I feel much better having someone by my side.  Doesn't hurt that the someone by my side is probably the one person in this game so far Im sure I can trust."

It was true enough, Asagi had not met anyone trustworthy so far.  People he could party with sure, but Alyssa was singularly the person in this virtual world he felt he would be able to take at her word.

The young woman accepted Asagi's friend request with a quick, practiced motion. In truth, she was still a bit unsure of why she was there in the first place. Being near the man from her old life still made her uncomfortable, despite his best efforts to make her feel better. It was not his fault that she was so anxious. It was nothing that he did or said. It was just him. Asagi, the boy from the bonfires, and the nights spent drinking beer under the stars. Asagi, the one she had sat beside in her sophomore level chemistry class. Asagi, the guy who would send her raunchy text messages just to see her reaction. Now, it was Asagi, the low-level player who would have to fight for his life in the game from Hell. The thought made her sick.

"You don't have to thank me," she told him, shaking her head. "I spend a lot of time helping others. It is the whole purpose of my new guild. And besides, I couldn't say no to someone from home."

As they walked, Lessa brought up her menu. The pair was about to leave the safe area, and it was important that she be ready. Asagi was not yet in a position to defend himself, so it was up to her to ensure he stayed alive. And that meant having the proper equipment. She wore her basic pale pink clothes, but ribbons of light began to circle her as she moved a few things into different slots. When the colors disappeared, she wore a silver and gold breastplate, and a matching pair of gauntlets. Her most prized possession, a claymore called Hell Rose, hung on her back. It seemed to emit a soft pink light. She realized that this was the first time Asagi had ever seen her fully equipped, and she hoped that she had not scared him.

"Are you ready?" She asked him, gently.

The two of them were on their way and as they were about to leave the city Alyssa stopped for a moment.  As she played around in her inventory a glow enveloped parts of her body.  Suddenly the most beautiful armor and equipment appeared around her, one by one adding to her repertoire of items.  It made him wish he had more to show than the simple items he had on him.  As she turned to him and asked if he was ready he was apt to say not even close to as ready as she apparently was.  Of course he chose his words a little more carefully than that, but the new information was definitely of use to him.  His goal was to get some new gear as soon as possible.

"Im ready as I will ever be.  Might I say that is some very majestic equipment.  I hope someday to have such items and be able to fight alongside you as more than a burden.  You look great in it as well darling.  Now shall we be off?"

Sword at his side he marched out alongside her heading for a new adventure.

"You're no burden," she replied, choosing not to respond to his compliment. "Besides, the only way that you're going to learn is to actually get out here and fight. It will teach you the ways of the game, and help you grow stronger in the process." She looked over at him, and added, "and I won't let anything happen to you."

Turning back to the land before her, she noticed that they were approaching an open meadow. This was where she had encountered wind wasps in the past, and she figured it would be as good a spot as any for a queen. As if on cue, a familiar hum filled the air. Not too far from the two players, a green and black wind wasp floated lazily a few feet off the ground. It was not the queen, but it was a creature that they would have to kill to find her.

"I'm going to go aggro it," she told her partner. "Just stay close, and attack only when you feel confident doing so. And stay sharp. We have no idea when this queen is going to reveal herself."

The blonde gave Asagi a reassuring smile before moving into a run. She was nearly on top of the thing before it saw her. At the last moment, it shot into the air, and dropped again a few paces away. Lessa did not have the opportunity to deal damage, but she did not take any either. Now the enemy knew that they were there. "When you're ready," she reminded Asagi gently.

{Rolled a 2 on the battle dice. Rolled a 1 on the mob dice.}

Lessa: 19/19

Asagi: 13/13

Wind Wasp: 15/15

[The wasp deals 1 damage per hit; if you roll critical failure (1), you take poison damage on your next turn (then it fades).]

The two adventurers continued along the path chatting casually, the conversation had turned decidedly serious.  Alyssa comforted him with her words, he felt at ease when she told him that they would do this together.  The fact that she wanted to teach him in the ways of this world as she had learned gave him a lot of confidence.  Her secondary comment pertaining to his safety also put him at ease, he felt that if she was there and said she would protect him that there was no doubt he would come out of this situation in the end.

"I appreciate it Alyssa, Im not if you realize just how much."

As they approached a meadow his companion changed demeanors to a more serious tone.  Giving instructions like a leader she informed him that she would be gathering the aggro on a wasp they saw buzzing above the ground.  Her words weren't completely necessary as she told him to only attack when confident, since she had already given him that confidence whether she knew it or not.  Running into battle she swung at the beast, missing but at the same time dodging with an eloquent dance to avoid.  This was the first time he had seen a well equipped character in a fight, the metallic armor seemed to be unrealisticly unburdening as she moved around.  Asagi realized this was most likely one of the base mechanics in which the game attempted to balance different layouts for characters.  As soon as it was turned on her he ran in to be of assistance.

Rolled a 6 on the d10 (battle) dice.

Leaping towards it Asagi slashed at the buzzing menace swiping it with his attack before landing again close to Alyssa on its other side.  The strike connected, glancingly but at least it seemed that he had done some damage as the beast reacted violently to the sting of his blade.

Lessa 19/19

Asagi 13/13

Lotharian dealt 2 damage

Wind Wasp 13/15

[iD # 468]

(( I'm thinking, for now, we should each use a mob roll in our post. This wasp really isn't a huge threat. When we move to the queen, I can play out her turns. Is that okay with you? ))

"Not bad," the swordswoman called out, truly impressed by Asagi's first attack. It still made her uneasy to see him like that, turning his blade on an enemy in this death game. But at least he could hold his own. That was comforting. I know that he will be able to take care of himself. Or, at least, he's off to a good start.

It was now her turn to attack. Lessa truly hoped that this time, she would be able to deal a bit of damage. She was not worried, as this wasp was still fairly weak. But she did not want to leave Asagi to do all of the work.

This time, she focused on speed. The wasp had out-hustled her the first time, and she would not let that happen again. Shoving off of her back foot, Lessa moved into action. In only a matter of seconds, she was in front of the wasp. The sun reflected ominously off of the insect's stinger, but she knew that this was the best place to attack. There were weak spots in the wasp's armor here. And that weak spot was where she buried her sword. As she watched the health bar take a hit, she tore her blade free, and moved back to Asagi's side.

{[549] Battle: 6. Mob: 3. Loot: 2. Lessa deals 5 damage - base, +2 Hell Rose, +2 two-handed skill.}

Wind Wasp: 8/15

As the strike fell Alyssa gave him a bit of praise, it was the first time she had see his abilities.  Same went for her of course, Asagi had yet to have seen her abilities till now and he had to admit they were quite above his own at the moment.

"Not bad yourself Alyssa, I guess I can see why people around here are so respectful of you."

The girl swept in for another strike and connected dealing more damage than he could ever do to it.  It was obvious who was the veteran and who was the newbie in this situation.  No matter that fact he wasn't going to be shown up and quickly turned his blade back to the enemy at hand.  Twisting his blade to the side he was ready to go for the technique he had developed during his grinding kills.  A slash strike that allowed for quick pivoting upon landing.  With that his attack after would have the full momentum of his previous strike added behind it.  Planning ahead in a life or death struggle was important after all.  Charging in Asagi went for thorax of this beast hoping for a good clean strike.

Rolled a 6 on the d10 (battle) dice.

The blade swept across the creatures body, it did not sink in has he had intended but a strike was a strike.  Maneuvering his body in the air in order to land the way he wanted and be as small a target as he could simultaneously Asagi streamed past the wasp.

Rolled a 3 on the d10 (mob) dice.

Buzzing wildly at him the mob didn't even come close to striking him, his tactics had worked.

"Switch!  Its all you Alyssa!"

Lessa 19/19

Lotharian 13/13

Wasp 6/15

[Dice roll ID # 553]

Lessa moved up alongside Asagi, her face crimson due to his comment. "You know," she told him, "I'm not some celebrity or anything. A handful of people know me, and they think I'm an okay person. That's all." But his compliment had her glowing. Was she really as respected as he said? I guess I wasn't really paying attention. She had never been one to worry about her own popularity, even outside of SAO. And now, there were bigger things to worry about.

In its weakened state, the wasp was unpredictable. Lessa stepped up to deal another blow. Just as she was lifting her weapon, the wasp's stinger made contact with her breastplate. "Whoa," she muttered, taking a step back. Thank goodness for armor. The insect had struck her hard armor with quite a bit of force, and it was a bit discombobulated. She took that moment to thrust her blade into the insect's abdomen.

"All yours," she called to Asagi.

{[633] Battle: 6. Mob: 5. Lessa deals 5 damage - base, +2 two-handed skill, +2 Hell Rose.}

Wasp: 1/15

The two switched positions and Alyssa seamlessly went in to deliver another powerful strike.  Her claymore sliced through the creature but it held on by the tiniest sliver of it's healthbar.  It figured that it would be down to the very last HP before going down.  This game showed itself more and more to be fairly unrealistic.  Despite his gripes with the mechanics he had to play by the rules of the game anyways.  The beast swung around and connected a surprising blow straight to Alyssa's chestpiece.  Asagi's heart jumped for a moment but realized she seemed completely unscathed.  Seems that these are the fringe benefits of all that higher level gear she had on.

"Are you sure your ok Alyssa?  No worries I will finish it off right here and now."

Switching back into the fray Asagi lined up his attack and let the sword glow bright as he went in for the kill.

Rolled a 7 on the d10 (battle) dice.

The hit landed and as the mob dropped to the ground it quickly dissapated into nothingness.  On the ground was one of the materials he had become accustomed to finding off of these types of creatures.

Rolled a 2 on the d20 (loot) dice.

It was nothing special, from the description it was a simple material used in the smithing process to fold the steel for a stronger metal bonding.

Obtained Smithing material

"I don't think I have much use for this honestly darling.  I haven't even trained properly to be in a profession yet.  Even so I was thinking of going the route of a tailor in the end.  You should take it, after all you are the one with the most impact in these fights."

Wasp dead

Trading material to Lessa

[Dice roll ID # 635]

"I promise," Lessa responded, giving Asagi a reassuring smile. "Really. I have some really fantastic armor." Her cheeks grew warm, and she added, "I made it myself, so I know its good." It felt a little strange, having someone worry over her like this, especially in such a meaningless battle. Is this how Alkor feels? She thought suddenly, her throat growing tight. Is this how I make him feel?

The blonde shook the thought from her head, then accepted the man's trade. "I appreciate it, Asagi. But next time, you should keep the material. Even if you don't have a profession yet, you may decide that you want one down the line. You can save up all of your materials until that day."

"Are you ready for another?" She asked him finally. "You're doing really well so far. I think we're making a fine pair."

About one hundred yards away, another wind wasp was floating lazily just above the grass. Lessa took off at a run, bringing up her heavy claymore, and eating away at the distance between them. Though this enemy looked distracted, it was ready for her. The moment she was within range, the stinger was on her. It too bounced harmlessly off of her breastplate, but it did cause her to take pause. "This one is fast," she called to Asagi. "Be careful."

{[636] Battle: 1. Mob: 7. Wind wasp deals 1 damage, which is blocked by Lessa's dmg mit (+3 from breastplate)}

Lessa: 21/21

Asagi: 15/15

Wind Wasp: 17/17

[Deals 1 damage. Also has poison.]

Thankfully it had seemed that Alyssa was unharmed by the strikes these creatures dealt out.  She assuredly smiled and promised him that she was perfectly fine, he was relieved that she was as strong as she was.  The beast had gone down and as they traded the material he was informed that materials were something he should keep close to him regardless, since they could be useful either for a future profession or other means.  He imagine she may have meant for him to store them as barter for players with appropriate profession skills.  Though as he had to admit, he would have to invest some time into learning about the benefits and requirements of said professions in the future if he was to fully utilize it.

"I will keep that in mind, thanks for the compliment Alyssa I am trying my best.  I also am very glad that you find us to be a good pair, I think so to."

Flashing a smile over to the girl it wasn't long before she was off and after another one of those wasp creatures.  This one seemed to be a little more troublesome though, it dodged and weaved about as Alyssa seemed to have difficulty getting a good shot in on it.  Racing in to help he readied his sword skills to hit into the opening that Alyssa had made for him.  The two of them were in sync and it was an amazing feeling, like the combat between them just flowed surprisingly well.

Rolled a 4 on the d10 (battle) dice.

The wasp quickly dodged about avoiding the blade that was meant to fell him.  Asagi could see why Alyssa's strike had fallen short, this mob was much more adept than the other had been.  As it swung around to attack it's new enemy Asagi rolled off to the side as it swooped in.

Rolled a 3 on the d10 (mob) dice.

The creature missed wide as the buzzing menace attacked ferociously.  It would see that they had a very good fight on their hand this time around.

"Jeez that thing is fast, Alyssa be careful and keep it flanked, when it's attention is split like this we have a distinct advantage."

[Dice roll ID # 646]

The pink swordswoman grit her teeth as she watched Asagi's attack miss. Not good, she thought to herself. They were off to a rough start. While this was not an especially powerful enemy, it could still spell disaster for them. It was dangerous to become too comfortable around any enemy, even if it is a 5 HP boar. Any mob can kill a player, under the right circumstances. Remember that was key to staying alive.

But there was also another issue. "We have to be careful to conserve our strength," she told Asagi as he moved up beside her. "We still have the queen ahead of us, and I have no idea how many of these we will have to cut down first. If we're exhausted by the time she shows up, we'll be done for."

After she was satisfied that he had heard and would heed her warning, the woman burst into action once again. This time, she was much more careful. Her actions were far more calculated than they had been before, and she made small adjustments the entire time she approached the wasp. Because of her attention to detail, she was exactly where she wanted to be when she was finally within range. Directly in front of the wasp, she shoved her blade deep into the crease in its hard exterior. Their first successful attack on the second wasp!

But the wasp was not about to let her poke at it without punishment. It swung its stinger at her once again, and she swatted away harmlessly with her gauntlet. "Not today," she growled.

{[654] Battle: 7. Mob: 6. Loot: 19. Lessa deals 5 damage - base, +2 two-handed skill, +2 Hell Rose. Wind Wasp deals 0 damage (mitigated by Lessa's +3 breastplate.}

Wind Wasp: 12/17

"I understand Alyssa, these things are dangerous though, we need to eliminate them as quickly as possible to gain the queen's attention.  Don't worry, I will have plenty of strength left to face the foul beast we have in store."

As she struck the mob the wasp went in to sting her.  With a quick movement she batted away the attack with a mere gauntlet upon her arm.  It was brilliant, the strength of his friend emanated from every strike and riposte she made.  This being the fact he was not about to let her down.  Sweeping around to slash at the mob Asagi swung with all his might.

Rolled a 9 on the d10 (battle) dice.

The blade cut deep into the wasp and Asagi quickly withdrew his blade to get ready for the counterattack.

Rolled a 6 on the d10 (mob) dice.

The stinger came in quickly as Asagi bobbed his head out of the way of the dangerous foe.  The sharp tip whizzed by his face barely missing, but it just wasn't fast enough to catch him this time.

Wind Wasp: 9/17

[Dice roll ID # 711]

Lessa stood beside Asagi, her chest rising and falling beneath her sturdy breastplate, her face flushed with exertion. "You're doing a great job," she told her partner again. "Really, I'm impressed." His approach was so different than her own. Where she focused on dealing out as much damage as possible, he played on speed and evasion to get the job done. It was very interesting to watch. Still, his lack of armor made her nervous. That must have been the heavy-armor lover inside her talking.

Lifting her claymore once more, Lessa threw herself into the fray. The wasp was growing angrier with each passing second. This time, it did not give Lessa the opportunity to land her hit. Instead, the stinger struck her hard in the chest. There was enough force to send her falling backward. And though she managed to catch herself before falling, the stinger slid across her heavy armor, and pierced the skin just below her armpit. The girl winced, immediately feeling the warm poison seeping into her blood.

"I'm okay," she assured Asagi before he had the chance to react. "I've been poisoned before. Don't worry - it will pass."

{[722] Battle: 1. Loot: 19. Mob: 9. Lessa deals 0 damage. The wind wasp deals 0 damage (mitigated by +3 gauntlets). Lessa is poisoned (rolled a critical failure).}

Lessa: 21/21 [Poisoned - take damage next turn.]

Throwing herself at the enemy Alyssa was much more of a brilliant valkyrie than he would have expected.  Her overzealous strike though seemed to backfire and she was struck harshly by a stinger.  Suddenly a status effect he had not encountered before appeared on Alyssa's health bar.  It would seem she had been poisoned, apparently a special ability of these wasps.  She assured Asagi that she would be alright but it didn't stop him from being worried.

"If you say so darlin, just take care and if we need to go back to deal with that you tell me as soon as we have this dealt with."

Switching his sword into a reverse grip quickly Asagi darted in slashing upwards into the weak belly of the beast.

Rolled a 1 on the d10 (battle) dice.

Rolled a 5 on the d10 (mob) dice.

The attack missed miserably, was it because he was distracted by seeing Alyssa be hit?  Either way he barely avoided being struck head on by a counter.  The stinger grazed his arm not delivering any damage that Asagi could see, suddenly though an indicator popped up informing him he had also been subjected to the poisoned status.

"Well I guess we are in the same situation now Alyssa."

Lessa: 21/21 [Poisoned - take damage next turn.]
Asagi: 15/15 [Poisoned - take damage next turn]

[Dice roll ID # 764]

Lessa frowned as she watched her companion take on the same ailment she suffered from. It would be counterproductive to cause a fuss, as she had just assured him it was no big deal. But at the same time, she was bothered by the sight of the stinger piercing his skin. "You'll be okay," she reminded him, but her voice was soft.

Turning back to the wasp, Lessa threw herself at it. Her boots struck the ground with a dull thud, and the wind tugged at her hair. But she felt her vision growing fuzzy with each step, her bright blue eyes growing dull. It was a side effect of the poison, which also worked to slow her movements. Less grit her teeth, and focused all of her energy on striking the enemy.

When she brought her blade down, she could already tell she was going to miss. She had overestimated the distance, and she was about to veer to the right slightly. Then, her hands grew warm in her gauntlets. She watched as her swing adjusted itself, and her attack landed exactly where it should. Her accuracy had pulled her through her poison.

{[838] Battle: 4 + 2 (gauntlets) = 6. Loot: 2. Lessa deals 6 damage - base, +2 Hell Rose, +3 two-handed skill.}

Lessa: 20/21

Asagi: 15/15 [Poisoned]

Wind Wasp: 3/17

The two were in a precarious position to say the least.  Alyssa seemed bothered by the situation and a determined look crossed her face, an almost angry gritting of her teeth as if to make an aura of combat lust.  As she flew towards the enemy it seemed for a moment that the sword would once again miss, but then something he had not seen yet happened.  The gauntlets set along her wrists began to glow and a streak appeared as the sword diverted with amazing speed to strike direct at the enemy.  It was a truly brilliant strike, if Asagi remembered there were a lot of combat driven items such as the boots he had encountered throughout the game world.  The gauntlets must have increased the accuracy of her strikes to make compensate for human error.  He would have to pick up something like that in the future if he was going to be of any use to her and the other front liners.  Feeling encouraged by the fantastic display of his comrade Asagi lifted his sword, the poison made a burning sensation within him but he shrugged it off as he prepared.  He wanted to end this right here and now.  Dashing in he raised his sword above his head ready to make the strike.

Rolled a 9 on the d10 (battle) dice.

The blade sunk deep into the creature's head and as Asagi screamed out forcing his muscles to cut deep through the beast.  As the wakazashi slash through the bugs flesh the beast began to pixelate.  Landing on the ground the mob was done for as it disappeared from their sight.

Rolled a 11 on the d20 (loot) dice.

Another material dropped from this mob as well and Asagi picked it up with a smile on his face.

"Great work darling, I think we make a hell of a team after all.  Im sorry if I might hold you back but I hope to become stronger and stronger, and one day be of use to you on the front lines.  Now lets keep going and get that queen mob."

Lightheartedly he motioned for her to take the lead on the next mob to be attacked.  The poison burned deeper though for a moment and he flinched.  As he felt it working its damage upon him though it disappeared in the blink of an eye and his status bar went back to normal.  He supposed it was as she said, not much to worry about.  Now he knew that many of these ailments were of a more temporary sort.  He hoped that held true in the future as well.

Obtained tailoring material

Asagi: 14/15

Wind Wasp: Deceased

[Dice roll ID # 878]

Lessa heaved a great, relieved sigh. Though the enemy had not been an especially difficult one, she was still putting Asagi in danger by fighting it with him. That was a feeling she was unsure she would ever get used to. It just was not right, seeing him with a sword, battling the virtual monsters that she had grown to fear. He should have been back home, with the others, watching over her sleeping body and wondering what was happening in SAO. He was not meant to be here experiencing it himself.

Shaking her head to rid her mind of such thoughts, Lessa gave Asagi a reassuring smile. "Well done," she told him, reaching out a gauntlet-clad hand to clap him gently on the shoulder. "You held your own out there. I'm proud of you."

Sheathing her sword, she turned back to their surroundings. "But don't rush it," she said suddenly, not looking at him. "You'll be on the front lines soon enough. And we'll certainly use you. We need all of the help we can get." Finally, she met his gaze, and held it as she said, "but please make sure you're ready. I couldn't stand losing you, especially if it was all because you ran into battle ill-equipped."

Alyssa spoke of caution, and that he could understand.  In this world though, what other choice did they have but to push themselves?  What other choice was there but to continue on and attempt to win, to beat this nightmare and escape back to reality.

"Alyssa, I will grow stronger, I will push myself.  Don't worry though, I don't plan on making decisions stupid enough to get myself killed, I think you know me better than that.  That said, I will join you on the front lines and together I hope we can get out of here.  I won't stop until we have achieved that, and when Im stronger I want to be the one protecting you this time ok?"

He looked at her with a caring half-smile.  Fighting with her made him feel stronger, more focused on his goals.  Concentrating again to the task at hand he looked over to see some more interesting foes set out before them.  These wasps looked as though their bodies were hardened and more sleek.  Looking at the label above their heads it indicated them as "Wasp Queen's Guards."

"I believe we have gotten to the point of upsetting them, look over there.  I believe once we defeat those two we may have our boss fight to deal with."

Moving his sword to his side in a cross-slash stance Asagi charged upon the first of the guards.  Going for the largest section of the body with his swing he wanted to make sure his strike hit strong against the beast's thorax.

Rolled a 5 + 1 Acc. on the d10 (battle) dice.

Rolled a 1 on the d10 (mob) dice.

His sword glided into the enemy slicing into the guards tough exo-skeleton.  As the crunch of it giving way to the force of the blow became audible the mob attempted to lash out as it nearly fell to the ground trying to regain it's balance in the air.  It buzzed as the large wasp wings frantically buzzed at Asagi angrily.

Guard Wasp 1 : 15/20

Guard Wasp 2 : 20/20

[Dice ID # 1291]

"Queen's guard wasps," Lessa read, nodding. This was a good sign. It meant that they were one step closer to finding the queen that they were meant to slay. Before she knew it, her partner was back in the thick of it, hacking away at one of the guards. She was impressed by his skill. He is learning so quickly, she found herself thinking. Perhaps I had underestimated him. When Asagi switched out, she moved to take her place in front of the weakened wasp.

The queen's guard wasps were significantly faster than what they had fought in the past, and much more forceful. She was just lifting her heavy weapon in preparation when the sharp stinger was thrust toward her. Lessa was able to deflect the attack with Hell Rose, but the strike caught her off guard. "These guys mean business," the woman commented, falling back beside Asaigi. She glanced over to him, giving him a small smile. "They won't be impossible, but they will be tougher." Lessa gave Asagi a light jab with her elbow. "But no worries - we're doing fine so far."

{[1469] Battle: 2. Mob: 1. Loot: 10. Lessa's attack misses. Wasp Guard's attack misses.}

Lesss: 20/21

Wasp Guard 1: 15/20

Wasp Guard 2: 20/20