I had actually mentioned just a head-shot as that'd be easiest to keep up, just do hair and expression, but was told that part of the SAO appeal was the outfits. But for the purposes of avatars, think that'd be the quickest route to maintain SAO style while giving some customization. I've done something kinda like that before.

lumina_apathy.png (le old)

kiara_150x150.png

Yeah something like that I'm cool with as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks lovely! Only thing I'm concerned about is the shading style. You used a sort of mix between cel and soft, and I'm wondering if we should stick strictly to cel style so it's more consistent when mix 'n matching between hairs and is closer to sao style? It looks great artistically, just wondering if we should match up the type of art styles a bit more.

That is glorious, Sarasah, and grants my wish of SAO avatars actually being SAO-ish. QuQ <3 I agree that keeping to cel shading would probably be for the best, though. Do you think the sprite system stock would be open to user contribution, provided the quality standards are met- thus allowing for help expanding the stock, or would there be regular staff for it?

Looks lovely! Only thing I'm concerned about is the shading style. You used a sort of mix between cel and soft, and I'm wondering if we should stick strictly to cel style so it's more consistent when mix 'n matching between hairs and is closer to sao style? It looks great artistically, just wondering if we should match up the type of art styles a bit more.

.... I can not do cell shading to save my life. I tried. I really did. I really can't even shade, I just mush all lights and darks together and hope for the best 8D...

I can try another hair style and see what I can do >_<;

Hair shading in the anime is really minimal- often not even a single layer of light shading and a single layer of dark shading, but yeah, I think that's what would work best for efficiency and consistency. Where the light hits the most, a band of light curving along the shape the hair is falling in, and where it is shielded away from the light ex.: inner layers of hair and where hair is casting a shadow on other hair, a darker shade.