[PP-F1] Mat. Farming

Even though Kiran had preferred to farm gold and just buy all of his items and potions in his previous games, it was unlikely he would get by without having a crafting skill of his own in SAO. The stakes were higher and he couldn't go around without proper equipment like he had in other games. The risk of death was just too great.

Kiran may not have been a craftsman before, but he knew the basics. The first thing any craftsman did was farm materials. Boars may have been low level, but they did drop meat and skin, and the skins Kiran could use to make leather. Leather, in turn, was a material used to bind the armor together and pad it. Since boars were the easiest to deal with, they would be Kiran's first stop.

Kiran chose the most populated field he could and aimed the tip of his kodachi. He engaged the boar immediately, not bothering to sneak up on it.

Battle roll:

1-5: I kill the boar without taking damage

6-10: The boar and I trade blows, I take damage while it dies

Loot roll:

1-10: 3 corr

11-13: boar meat

14-20: boar skin

Kiran's thrust shattered the boar into a veritable array of shining polygons. He checked the loot screen.

Oh goody, chump change.

He restrained himself from sighing. Farming mats was always a tedious task, which was one of the reasons Kiran avoided it, but the necessity was too high. He selected the next boar and raised his kodachi again. Blade shoulder height with the tip aimed towards the target.

Please give me something useful this time.

Battle roll:

1-5: I take damage before killing it

6-10: flawless kill

Loot roll:

1-10: 3 corr

11-13: boar meat

14-20: boar skin

Kiran shrugged off a head butt to the leg before piercing the next boar through the mid-section. It dispersed into a shower of polygons like the first, leaving the same loot as before. Kiran checked his health. It was still in the green zone. Having leveled up earlier had helped. His HP pool was slightly higher, enough to take at least a few more solid hits. He wasted no time in selecting another target. Farming was all about efficiency. The more boars he could kill in a short amount of time, the more successful he would be at getting what he needed, and he still had other materials to farm. At least he was getting good at slaying boars.

His sword glowed a pale purple and he began his next thrust.

Battle roll:

1-5: I have trouble with the next target, only killing one

6-8: I manage to kill two boars in a short time

9-10: I kill three boars

Loot roll:

1-10: All boars drop 3 corr

11-14: One boar drops boar meat, the others drop 3 corr

15-20: One boar drops boar skin, the others drop 3 corr

If nothing else, Kiran was gaining some much needed experience. His filled EXP bar flashed twice and a message appeared in front of his eyes.

"Congratulations! You have earned level 3!"

Kiran's health bar refilled to full and expanded a few more inches. His thrusting skill was advancing as well, which would prove useful when he started taking on the more challenging enemies looking for iron. Still, he had not managed to get any boar skins, or even any meat. Kiran elected to start taking a bit more risk and kill boars consecutively, now that he was a level higher. He might even be able to take two at once. The area he was at was almost empty, but the respawn timers were short and there were still a few boars left.

Battle roll:

1-5: I kill two more boars, one after the other

6-9: I kill three boars, two at once, but taking damage that brings me into the yellow, then one by itself

10: I kill three boars without taking any damage

Loot roll:

1-10: All boars drop 3 corr

11-14: One boar drops meat, the others 3 corr

15-20: One boar drops skin, the others 3 corr