[SP-F1] <<Earning A Living Quest>> Becoming a Blacksmith

Pyro looked around The Town of Beginnings and sighed. Sooner or later she would have to leave the comforting zone of NPC's, novice players like herself, and the cozy shops and homes that resided there. She stopped in front of something that caught her eye. 'A blacksmith?' She wondered as she stared at the NPC using some sort of hammer looking thing as a fiery pit burned nearby. Pyro walked up to the table and noticed it was a sword. Her crimson eyes glistened. She noticed it was far better than her own weapon, probably even a rare one. The NPC looked up at her and then looked down again.

"Want to become a blacksmith?" The older man asked in a husky voice.

She blinked a few times, pondering the question. "Yes."

A screen popped up in front of Pyro.

<<Quest>>

Kill 2 monsters and/or collect loot and learn the way of a Blacksmith?

Yes                             No

Pyro instantly pressed yes and the screen closed. The NPC smiled at her. "We can make the trade as soon as you're done. I'll come but don't expect me to do the killing." He set down his things and turned the sign in the shop window to closed before becoming Piper's follower.

The walk was quick, the NPC Pyro had learned to call Lonny gave her simple directions to a small field. Only one boar resided in it, or so she thought, and currently had its back turned to them.

Lonny nodded his head forward, wanting Pyro to hurry up so he could get back to his shop. She nodded and unsheathed her sword ready to attack.

ID: 4024

BD: 4

Failure

Pyro HP: 7/7

Boar HP: 2/2

Pyro ran at the boar full speed, cocking the sword back with both hands, releasing it at the near-perfect moment as she let go with one arm and swung with one. She thought that she had struck it, but was surprised to turn around and see an angry boar with no scratches. 'Oh crap'. Pyro thought as she watched the boar to see what it would do next.

The boar grunted loudly, annoyed and afraid. Slobber dripped from its teeth which were now flashing. They were pointed. The boar's ear were all the way back. Pyro gulped as the boar got in defense stance and prepared to attack her. She held her sword out and closed her eyes as the animal ran just as quick as she could towards her.

ID: 4026

BD: 2

Failure

Fortunately, the boar failed to attack Pyro, missing by only an inch. It stumbled and rolled. Pyro opened her eyes and smirked. Caught off guard, this was another chance for Pyro to attack the boar. She was determined to finish this before sunset, which seemed to be nearing faster and faster in the orange-red sky.

Pyro jumped into the air, glad that the game had mechanics like-so that could let her do the impossible. Her body plunged forward at the boar; sword held in her right arm above her head as she plummeted to the ground. She swung once, catching the boar straight down the middle of its back.

ID: 4027

BD: 10

Critical Success +2 damage done

The boar's eyes widened in complete shock. Pyro landed on the ground gracefully, crouching with one arm holding her body perfectly still. She held her breath. The boar made a strange noise before crystal shards flew into the air around where it once had been. Pyro stood up and put her hands on her hips.

Boar HP: 0/2 (Dead)

ID: 4028

LD: 12

Any good item or mob health x5 COL

Another screen popped up in front of Pyro. 'That is gonna take some getting used to.' She thought as she read the message.

0 COL gain

Good Rapier found

She accepted the message by pressing a check mark on the bottom of the screen. Lonny started to approach her but before he could Pyro was knocked down to her knees. She quickly stood up and unsheathed her sword and looked around for a boar, but saw nothing. Then something scurried past her feet again. Pyro didn't show it but she was scared. Luckily whatever it was hadn't dealt any damage yet.

A loud hissing noise erupted from the ankle-high grass. The animal had finally decided to show its self only for a second before attacking Pyro.

ID: 4029

Critical Success +2 damage done

Pyro's eyes widened. She had almost forgotten that she wasn't in a real video game. Well, she was, but in this one... she could actually die. The thought occurred to her and she suddenly became aggressive; growling at the attacker who was now in front of her whenever it made its low-pitched hissing noise. Lonny must've thought she looked like a fool but all Pyro cared about was bringing the scaled beast down.

Pyro HP: 4/7

Lizard HP: 2/2

Pyro yelled, quite annoyed, as she charged at the lizard.

ID: 4030

LD: 12

Critical Success +2

Any good item or mob health x5 COL

She was prepared for the screen menu to pop up. Pyro accepted the good item and ran over to Lonny who seem surprised for an NPC.

Trade: Pyro to Lonny (NPC)

>> Good Scimitar

>> Good Rapier

Pyro was sad to hand over the good weapons she had earned herself; but if it meant she could be a blacksmith than she would do anything. Besides, wouldn't she be making her own Scimitar's in no time anyway? Of course! 'Weapons and armor for myself.' She thought. 'And maybe I can return Arekkusu's and Sol's kindness one day...'

The sun had already set when Lonny had finally led Pyro back to his shop. He set the Rapier and Scimitar down on a table. His shop was like a mansion, weapons on racks and hung on every inch of the wall. They varied from basic all the way to rare and custom made. He must've been very busy. 'Not like an NPC would care.' Pyro thought as Lonny led her back outside. He lit a torch and placed it in a holder that hung on the brick wall of his large shop. It didn't help too much, but it was just enough so Pyro could see.

"Take your materials out of your inventory. Usually you will be using ores and things like leather to craft weapons. Same for armor. You have to melt the ores in a smelter, it will turn them into items you can actually use to craft."

Lonny showed Pyro how to shovel coal into the smelter. Unlike real life the transformation happened instantly and Pyro found herself with long pieces of iron in her inventory. Though, it was only for the tutorial. 

"Alright. Next is the forge."

Pyro watched in fascination as Lonny put coals and fired them up in the forge. 'Fire, my favorite...' Pyro cracked a small grin but made sure Lonny didn't see.

"Take the tongs and hold the pieces of material over the fire once it starts going. The object should turn a color between bright yellow and dark orange. Then after that you can take it away. But don't touch!" Lonny warned Pyro. 'He saw my expression.' Pyro noted as he moved the steaming hot material over to the wooden bucket of water he placed near the forge. Steam erupted into the air and made Pyro squint her eyes because of the sudden heat wave.

"Now that it's cooled off you can move your weapon to the anvil and shape it however you want. You use this hammer." Lonny showed Pyro the best places to hit and explained how to shape it. He made the piece of iron transform into a triangle shape within 3 hits. "It will take longer for a novice like you but once you hit the higher ranks it could only take 1 hit with this old thing for you to craft a perfect sword or piece of armor." Lonny smiled for the first time at Pyro. She nodded in response and Lonny continued.

"You can sharpen whenever you like on this thing." He patted the seat of a wooden machine. He put his foot on the peddle of it and the blade started to spin fast. "Be careful. Just hold the edges against this to sharpen your weapon. Should only take a few moments."

"Now take leather out of your inventory, put the sword in your inventory, and then combine them."

Pyro did as he said. She put the sword into her inventory and saw that the combine button was now highlighted when she selected both items. A picture showed that the leather had been made into a gripper on the handle of the sword.

Lonny spent the rest of the night teaching Pyro the ins and outs of Blacksmithing. She waited patiently and listened to every once in a while. It was impossible for her to daydream, Lonny caught her every single time. 'How?' Pyro would think as Lonny furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance and lecture her about paying attention.

"Some weapons are harder than others, and pay attention when crafting or you may get it wrong!"

She learned about smithing more as soon as she forked over yet another weapon to Lonny. "Hmph. Whatever." Pyro would mutter. She honestly had no problem, she hated taking things in the first place, but she really wanted something of her own other than the basics you start SAO with.

He taught her the easy things and told Pyro that once she was a higher rank she would learn new techniques that would help greatly.

"And that's it. Are you sure you want to become a Blacksmith?" Lonny opened a menu and Pyro stared at the check mark that would confirm her profession.

Thinking about the many reasons she had to become a Blacksmith, she blinked a few times, a signal that she was thinking. "Yes." Pyro answered after a few silent and awkward moments. She clicked the checkmark and a large 'CONGRATULATIONS' appeared before her.

"Now you know you'll need a shop, and materials, and-"

"Lonny be quiet." Pyro said before heading to leave the shop. She was in desperate need of an inn. The sun was rising in the sky when she stepped out, and bags were already forming under her dark eyes.

'Screw real jobs, I'm a blacksmith.' Pyro thought proudly to herself. Other players of SAO were emerging from their hold-ups as she headed for them. "Bedtime."

Pyro ate a loaf of bread before laying down. She had no money but luckily other members and NPC's would gladly take her in and let her sleep.

-1 bread (Consumable)

When Pyro woke up, she noticed she had a new message. She read it aloud in the bedroom of an older woman who took in kids who didn't have a home or were to young to go out and fight or protect themselves.

"In order to Blacksmith at all-" Pyro groaned. Not because she didn't want to Blacksmith but because she was tired of lessons. "you need to hunt. Loot found in treasure chests, found after killing a monster, and other ways you can acquire it will help in all cases. Even the weakest of items can be turned for the better if you put the correct materials together." -SAO Guide

She remembered the other day and a frown made its way onto her face. "I could've died... but I didn't. I should probably hunt later and with a group. There's no way I'm going to become a Blacksmith without loot and materials. But for that I would need to go out... and I don't know if I'm ready for that again." Pyro stated.

Pyro gets out of bed and thanks the stranger for letting her sleep inside before leaving. She thinks her decision over and over again before making a final one. "I've already accepted the profession and there's no going back! I'm a Blacksmith and that's that." Pyro clenched her fists. 'Perhaps I'm taking this too far.' Pyro shakes her head and laughs a little, but on the inside only.

"Yeah, way to serious." She mutters. Other players look at her a little odd but then stop. Any kind of player could be playing a video game so why stare?

Another message pops up as Pyro sits on a bench to admire The Town Of Beginnings like she usually does. This time, to avoid attention, she reads it in her head.

'Retrieve an item for Lonny? Yes or No.' Pyro groaned, why was she doing this? Oh yeah. Because she wanted to become a stinking Blacksmith, that's why.

She ran to Lonny's shop, which wasn't very far to be honest. Pyro saw Lonny outside and he smiled at her.

"This is your final assignment." He said.

"Never said anything about an assignment..." Pyro muttered as Lonny explained his situation. Too old, back hurts, lame excuses. 'Your an NPC for pete sake!' Pyro wanted to yell and smack sense into Lonny. But then she would have to deal with a violation issue and of course he would have no responses for that situation. 'Exactly how many responses and actions to NPC's have?' She wondered and started to drift off in thought again until she heard another customer come up to Lonny.

"It's an old friend of mine. He has a couple piece of iron and steel that I need for a project. Would you mind retrieving it? I promise after this you will truly be a Blacksmith." He spoke quickly before attending the customer.

"I'll be done soon." Pyro nodded and opened a screen in front of her as she walked away, now used to the game's mechanics.

She set a quest marker on her map that would lead her to Lonny's friend.

The house she arrived at was small, almost like a shack. On the outside it looked like it had been there for ages. It didn't match the other houses that were so perfect and well-built that surrounded it.

A young NPC came from the house and smiled. "Hi! My name is Len, my daddy is inside." Len grabbed Pyro's hand and dragged her inside the small shack. She wondered who Lonny wanted this from. 'Oh. But that boy is absolutely adorable.' Pyro thought, keeping a straight face when yet another NPC appeared from behind the corner.

"Lonny? Is that you?" An elderly man walked up to Pyro. Len let go of her hand and giggled before running away. "Oh of course not. He's too lazy to come get something himself. Should've known." The elderly chuckled.

'NPC's act so real! Kayaba did really good...' She found herself praising the very man who trapped her in the video game. Sure, she hated him, but SAO was something beautiful for sure.

"I'm Frank, and I have the ores for you right here." He nodded in a friendly way towards Pyro and she gestured back as well.

"I'm Pyro. Indeed I am here for the ores." She told Frank, but he was frozen as the trade menu popped up in front of Pyro. 'Huh. Probably has reactions depending on which option I choose.' Pyro thought.

Accept Trade? (6 iron ores, 15 steel pieces found)

Yes or No

>> 6 ore(s) received

>> 15 steel pieces received

Pyro pressed yes after reading the trade information to make sure everything was correct. She found herself looking around before leaving. Inside the shack was very nice furniture. It was far larger than it appeared to be outside on the inside. Pyro actually found herself speechless.

"Goodbye and good luck." Frank waved goodbye with Len at his side who giggled and waved, Frank's arm around his small body. They continued that motion until Pyro was far away and could no longer she them and then reset. The two would only play the same animations again when yet another future Blacksmith came to them.

On the way back to Lonny's shop Pyro inspected the ore Frank gave to her. She clicked on it, read its bio, and even held it in her hand. She felt the smooth places, the bumpy ones, and the rough ends. Video games she had played before you could read the bio and see a picture, but you couldn't feel it like she was now! This was an amazing experience for Pyro. She daydreamed the rest of the way. 'Perhaps SAO isn't such a bad thing despite the circumstances?' She found herself asking after a while. 'No, no!' Pyro shook her head and put the ore away. 'Kayaba should die and trapping people in a video game isn't very nice.'

Pyro found herself frowning and feeling sympathy for the children that were too young, the players that were dead, and anyone who had become so depressed they committed suicide. She also felt disgusted as she remembered many players slumping to the ground as they lay idle. 'The parents were worried and took of the NerveGear, frying their brains in the attempt.' She shuddered and was glad she had read the manual to her parents for putting on the NerveGear. Pyro missed her family and could only remember their excited and happy expressions before she said those dreaded words. "Link start..." Pyro muttered.

Pyro found herself and Lonny's shop in no time. Her mood was a bit off at the moment and she wished she wouldn't have to be taking missions anymore.

"Ah, thank you such much!" Lonny seemed excited. He was much more life-like NPC than Frank and Len had been. "Hand them over and you can take your leave."

Pyro rolled her eyes slowly and opened her inventory, selecting the items, handing them over. She seriously considered keeping them but then the quest would never be rendered completed. Not like she could use items marked quest anyhow.

>> 6 ore(s) given to Lonny

>> 15 steel pieces given to Lonny

Trade Complete!

A message informed her before closing and sending the items to Lonny.