[PP-F1] Letting Go (Shark)

Oske was sitting in Starting City, swallowing a little. She opened up her menu, sweat on her temple, and pressed the PM button. She sent a message to Shark with shaky fingers. 

[Hey, can we talk? We can get ice cream or something. I'm in Starting City... I'll meet you by the center. Thanks... -Oske.]

Oske slowly rose to her feet, hugging herself a little. She looked at the ring on her finger, tears welling in her eyes. The water fell from her eyes and pressed to her cheeks, then dropped to the ground and made a little "plip" sound. She didn't want this to be harder than it needed to be, because while she still had feelings for Shark... she felt like something was wrong about all this. 

Removing the ring, she gripped it in her hand and held it to her chest. She then made her way to the center of the city.

I was walking around the 8th floor, making sure everyone was doing alright and there was no trouble. I received a message from Oske, asking me to meet her in the Starting City so we can talk. Something inside of me dropped... I was having mixed feelings about what she wanted to discuss. I replied to her message, [i will be right there. Give me a few minutes. ~Shark] I then made my way to the floor teleporter and activated it to send me to the Town of Beginnings.

I stepped out of the portal and looked around for Oske. Where is she? She said she would meet me in the center of the town. I made my way off the pad and went to find a bench and waited for her to show up.

Oske took a deep breath as she made it to the center. She swallowed her sadness and put on a smile for Shark when she noticed him sitting on a bench. She approached him cautiously with a wider fake smile, keeping her hand clasped around the ring in her grip. "Hey, Sharkie... So, um... how are you? Sorry, I'm not feeling to well. So... want to get ice cream or something?" She twirled her hair in her free hand, chewing her lip a little with a slight blush on her face. 

Oske started to lead the way to a small NPC shop that had basic food items, including vanivalle bean (which she assumed to be "vanilla") ice cream. Her heart was pounding hard in her chest, and she pushed the tears back behind her eyelids. 

Oske came up with a very wide smile. I could tell something wasn't right. I'm fine, just trying have some things on my mind. Why aren't you feeling well? Is everything alright? I said as I got up and went with her to an ice cream place. When I followed her, I really got the feeling that something was wrong. Normally she would have grabbed my hand, but this time she didn't. 

I continued following her, trying to figure out what was going on. We soon approached the ice cream place and walked in. What would you like hun? I'll pay. I said as I placed my order for something similar to Vanilla Cookie Dough. 

"I'll just have... whatever you're having," Oske said quietly. She paused, tightening her grip on the ring. As Shark ordered, she went to a small table inside the ice cream shop and took a seat. Her eyes kept averting away from everything, as if she were trying to escape the virtual reality. Oske pursed her lips, tears welling in her eyes again. She quickly pushed them away, shaking her head a little. She then took a deep breath. Once Shark was with her, she began. 

"So... I've been thinking lately, and... I don't know about... us." She paused. "I'm... I don't know. I don't know how to say this..." 

I ordered and payed for both of our ice cream. I brought it over to the table Oske was sitting at and handed her the ice cream. By the tone of her voice, I could tell that something was wrong. Oske, What's wrong? You can tell me. I am here for you and always will be, no matter what happens. I said as I tried to figure out what she was struggling to say.

Oske whimpered as she spoke. "Th-that's exactly it," she stuttered. She slowly pulled out her shaking fist, then unclenched her fingers. The ring gently tapped to the table, spinning a little before making itself still on the virtual wood. "I don't think... It's just..." She took a deep breath.

"I had a boyfriend before I got here," Oske breathed. "We weren't super close, so I assumed that it was okay to start dating others. I didn't think he'd be waiting for me in the real world. But... I don't know. What if he is? What if he loves me so much that he's been waiting all this time? I just feel... w-wrong about this. I'm so sorry, Shark..."

I sighed and let out a deep breath... it was dead silent for the next few minutes. I looked at oske with a sad but understanding face and let out another deep breath before I spoke so I could speak calmly. I understand Oske. Some people are like that. This world sure does mess with our minds and emotions doesn't it... I slowly stood up and walked over and looked out the window next to us. If it is what you want then I will have to except it. I am not going to force you to doing something you don't want to do. I said as I continued to stare out the window.

"Yeah.... this... this is what I want," Oske said slowly, tapping her thumbs together. Tears ran down her face, and she took in a shaky breath before wiping her tears away. "But... It doesn't have to end. We can still be friends, right? And I want to work with you, to leave this world. I used to want to stay here, but now... I want to look back on the other side again, even if it means... not being free anymore."

She averted her eyes, more tears dropping to the table. "I want to be a frontliner, and I want to be your friend. I really don't want our relationship to stop completely... y-you know?"

I kept looking out the window with some tears on my face that this part of the relationship was ending. I kept looking out the window while i spoke with Oske. Since that is what you want, just give me the ring back. We can still be friends and still keep a good friendship. I will still be happy with you working with me to beat this game. I said as I kept eating my ice cream looked out the window.

Oske paused. She picked the ring back up and approached Shark, gently lifting his hand and placing it in his palm. She wiped her tear away sadly, trying to control herself... she didn't want to run away from the situation, but she felt like she couldn't stand being there anymore. Before giving Shark the change to react, she threw her arms around him and gave him one last kiss. "I'm glad I met you, Shark, and I am happy that we're keeping a friendship. But... I need some time to think as well, so... I should go." She blushed and nodded to him, her cheeks still a little wet.

I was looking out the window when all of a sudden Oske threw her arms around me and gave me one last kiss. I wrapped my arms around her and didn't show my face. I hope you get things taken care of. I wish you the best of luck. Just know that as your guild leader, I am here for you if you need to talk or whatever. I said as I grabbed the ring and released my arms.

Oske nodded sadly. "Thanks... Shark..." she murmured. "I'm glad you understand, and I'm... just really glad you're so kind to me, and that you just..." 

Oske sighed, tripping over her own tongue. She slapped herself lightly on each cheek, making the remaining tears drizzle back behind her eyes. She shook her head, then nodded once last time for her former fiance. "I should go. So... goodbye for now, Shark."

Oske nodded at me and walked away. I couldn't help but watch her as she left. I sat back down and twiddled the ring among my fingers What just happened? I said to myself as I relaxed in the chair with my head tilted back for a bit. Guess I should get back to patrol. I said quietly as I got up and made my way to the teleporter in the center of the city.