[PP-F1] A brave new world (backstory?) [Completed]

Jason stood there, looking at his own face in the mirror he held in his hand. His real face. He felt his fingers tremble and the mirror tumbled to the ground forgotten. Instinctively he looked to his right, and there was Tyger, but wearing the face of his RL girlfriend Rhoan. It took his shocked brain several moments to realize why that was wrong.

"This-this can't be real."

The GM continued his speech, but this time he revealed windows of the news feeds from around the country - around the world - stating the shock of what was going on.

Over two-hundred people have already died?!

He felt Tyger lean into, obviously rattled herself.

He waved his hand, pulling up the menu once more and staring at where the 'Log Out' option should have been.

The crowd was panicked. Almost mob like. People were pounding against an invisible barrier surrounding the plaza.

"I-I can't believe something like this is even possible!"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The presence of the spectresque figure that loomed over the gathered players made her uneasy, but not as uneasy as the foreboding news it carried. The creator of this game, the sole focus of Rhoan and Jason's saved funds, their excuse to order in pizza instead of cook food, and the stress relief from their jobs... was a death-ridden shell of what they thought it would be. Rhoan had imagined herself slicing and dicing enemies, befriending wild creatures, or finding dragons to loot, not this... Not this. The mirror in Rhoan's hand shook as she peered into it. The face that she first saw after character creation was there. A feral, confident woman. But when she blinked, that woman went away, with Rhoan's real face taking it's place.

The mirror dropped, shattering. She turned when she heard Baldur, Jason, mutter his disbelief. She stared up at the looming reaper. A fitting image, indeed. 

"No way!"

Her Japanese was rusty, but the shocked mutterings around her were easily translated. Everyone was scared. The way they shouted, cried out, and rammed themselves against the barrier keeping them in here with the spirit. And to make matters worse, people have already died. Literally. While they were standing here, in this plaza. She almost felt herself reach up towards her own helmet in disbelief. But, she didn't want that number to be 214. She leaned into Baldur quietly. 

"What kind of mess did we just get into?"

Jason put his arm around Rhoan and held her tight, "I don't know..."

Something made him feel uneasy, and so he lead the two of them closer to the inlet of an alley that would let them get out of the square should anything more happen. The square had several large boulevards, but here, between a bakery and an Inn, was a smaller street. He didn't like the way blood dripped down from the red sky of system error messages, and he was worried that once the barrier was lifted and they were released, they would be trampled. You couldn't die or take PvP damage in the Town of Beginnings, but you could still be knocked around.

"We need to get out of here. All these people... who knows what they're going to do next."

As soon as Baldur finished saying that, he noticed out of the corner of his eye a few people falling through walls that were no longer there. He took Tyger's hand and ran down the narrow stone alleyway, hoping to find a way out of the city. It twist and turned until they found themselves in a player housing district. No one yet had enough money to buy a home, so the area was empty save for a few NPCs. He gasped for breath, not that he was winded from running, but from the situation.

"What... what do we do now?"

Shaking her head, as if to rid it of the horrible thoughts she was having, she felt Baldur take her hand and start running as soon as the barrier lifted. She was going to suggest to do the same, so she quietly followed, letting go of his hand so she could balance herself as she ran.

"Good old mob mentality, right?"

The pathetic joke hung in the air like a stagnant smell that just wouldn't go away no matter how hard you tried. It was her best attempt at humor, where she would normally turn to when she needed to cope with something, but now it just wasn't hanging right. Her scimitar bounced against her leg as she ran. She hadn't gotten quite used to it being there, but she was going to need to soon. What had started as a game, something she could passively grind at had turned into something that needed to be honed, or she would die. 

Her chest hurt, but thankfully Baldur had stopped so she leaned up against one of the walls of the player housing. Her hands shook, so she crossed her arms and held onto her forearms while they rested. 

"Maybe this is a ploy! Or like, a plot thing. Anyone can fake a news report, right?"

Her denial was probably shared by many, but the ominous missing spot where 'Log Out' was supposed to be wasn't making her feel like it was a plot. 

"We're... We're really stuck here, aren't we? What about Icarus? What.. What about our jobs?"

At this point, she was just whispering to herself. She didn't have kids, but she had a pet. Pets needed food. Nobody knew them, being that they just moved. Would anyone even know if they were locked in this, or even care?

Icarus. He had forgotten about their sugar glider.

"We took the week off of work...  no one will think to look for us." Surely someone would miss them. He had mentioned to friends back in the states that they were going to do this. He had bragged about his girlfriend wanting to do the same.

His mind scrambled. Something. Anything. How did something like this actually make it to market? How did the beta-testers, or anyone working on the project not know about this?

"I'm sure that the authorities will go through the records of people who bought the game and track them down. Lots of gamers live by themselves as shut ins, and they know 10,000 people bought the game."

He put his hands on his knees and leaned forward as he tried to catch his breath and think, but it was all in their head. He wasn't really out of breath. Was his heart really racing? He couldn't feel any pain, but it was as if his body supplied that information, even though it wasn't there.

"They've got to try and set us up on some kind of IV set-up..." He shook his head, "If not, no one in here would last more than 3 days or die of dehydration..." If he really wanted them to clear 100 floors, then he had to expect something to happen. You don't create a death game like this without thinking it through... right?

"If we survive three days, then we know we've been hospitalized somehow..." It would just be the most harrowing 3 days of their life.

She missed the little fuzzy creature, and found it funny that he was the first thing she thought of when it came to their trapped situation. 

"I told a few friends that I was going to be playing. They were so jealous. If I don't answer their Skype messages, they'll just think that i'm playing the game. I hope you're right though."

She wondered if they were being tracked down now, after being one of the first groups to have the NerveGear, aside from the beta testers. 

"I'd like to be a gaming shut in professionally, please."

At least this joke was easier to crack. Who wanted to work, when they could play video games all day? This experience probably changed everything though. When Baldur leaned over, she put her hand on his back in a gesture of support. Or maybe she was making herself feel better. Being in the medical field, and IV drip made sense. Maybe food pumps, even. Some sort of sustenance to keep the brain active.

"That would make sense. He said that taking the headset off killed you, but killing the power for a few hours while moving you wouldn't be a problem, I hope. If that's the case, nobody is beating this game."

She was trying to stay as level headed as possible. Three days was a long time out in the real world, it would be even longer in this world. Video games were a time killer, but now the tables had turned. How ironic. 

Baldur took a couple of steadying breaths as he tried to wrap his mind around their situation.

"Well, from inside here, there's nothing we can do. It's up to those outside of this system to do their part. I'm sure someone will figure out how to get us safely out of the game."

HIs mind raced through all the possilbities, what must be going on in the outside world.

When a problem seems overwhelming, you break it down into smaller tasks.

"Assuming the worst best case scenario, we have to clear the game in order to get out." His breaths were coming steady now, and he stood up straight once more, looking through Tyger, rather than at her.

"If we want to survive we either need to stay here in the Town of Beginnings, or get really high level. These early levels are the most risky, but if we're teamed up, then we should be fine."  A starter animal should only take a couple hits. It would be slow going, but safer. Better to be safe than sorry. Once they had a few levels under their belt, they could farm weaker animals, it would go slower, but again, it would be safer. They could make up for it with quantity. If they could hit the limit of what the current floor could offer before attempting to advance to the next one, then they should be able to minimize their risk.

"We need to get out of the starter area though. It's going to be overrun. I say we gank enough boars to get to level 2 or 3, and then try to push through to the next hub. That should keep us ahead of the majority of the curve." Finally his blue eyes returned to hers, searching them for what she thought of his plan.

As much as she hated to admit it, Baldur was right. Worrying about their bodies in the real world wasn't something they could focus on. Instead, she just listened to her breathing as it slowed. And to Baldur, too. Clearing the game seemed to be the only way out, if the creator of the game was correct. Which, unfortunately, she felt was the case. Tyger could practically see the gears turning in Baldur's head, something she envied in both real life and in the game. The mental puzzle pieces were starting to come together. He'd more than likely be the brains of the operation for now, until Tyger could get a foothold on everything.

"Yeah, that makes sense. Either here, or progressing."

Did this game have the limited monsters, like others? Or was this a true MMO, with an unlimited number of 'boars' for everyone with the same idea?

"The last thing I want to do is stay here. There's no telling how long this could take, considering there are so many floors. I don't want to just sit for that amount of time twiddling my thumbs. If something does happen... I'd much rather know that I tried, instead of did nothing."

A semi-selfish opinion, that could possibly get her killed. But, it was Rhoan's either way. When Baldur turned to her, wondering what she was thinking, she gave him a quick nod. Getting out of here was a good idea.

"As long as we take it easy. We've been exploring, but we haven't had a fight yet. It was something I kinda looked forward to, but now... I guess it can't really be helped."

When death was hung over your head, the idea of combat didn't seem as fun. But with that experience came a different fuel. Determination could outweigh fear.

Baldur looked down at the saber on his hip, and spared a quick glance at Tyger's. They only had the starting gear still. Plain unadorned weapons that only dealt <<1 DMG>>, and the starting armor which didn't give any noteworthy stats.

"The system is supposed to execute the moves for us, but we're also allowed to move and attack on our own. At least the both of us know how to use our weapons IRL, we should be better off than most here." It was a stretch, he was good with any sword, but his preferred weapons were longswords and katana. Now that this was a game to the death, he REALLY wished he had a katana.

He waved his hand and opened the menu, pulling open the map.

"I don't know where the next hub is, so we might want to grab a quest and see where it takes us, but if we get bogged down doing starter quests, we're gonna be waiting in line for mobs to respawn. I think our plan is good, and we should be able to judge by the level of the mobs where the next town is. We just need to be careful and make sure we don't pull more than one at a time." With a wave of his hand he closed the map and looked up into Tyger's eyes. He stood straighter, and his shoulders pushed back. He nodded his head firmly.

"Are you ready for this?"

Flashes of memory took Tyger back to her days doing stage combat with her friends in the various jobs she took back in America. She wasn't trying to hurt anyone, and there was always choreography involved. The scimitar in her hand curved slightly, and reflected the sunlight despite the dreary news they'd received. This would be her bread and butter now, no more X-rays for a while. 

"We definitely lucked out in that aspect."

She smiled a bit, sheathing the blade at her side. She knew Baldur could wield his sword as well. A shield would probably come in handy, though. In real life, Rhoan liked it use it as a bashing weapon, instead of something to protect. But, it could come in handy as either. 

"It depends. Would we get more XP fighting, or from doing the quests? We could knock out a few enemies pretty quick between the two of us, unless doing the quests would yield us more. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it. In any case, if it isn't as high as just slaughtering monsters, then we can just return to that."

Her suggestion seemed to match his, although hers was a bit more concerned on the XP and time consumed with the quests. Either way, they couldn't stay. She stood a little straighter as well, and walked to his side, bumping her hip against his playfully. 

"I guess I have nothing better to do..."

She teased. Her eyes leveled with his.

"Honestly though... I'm glad that i'm stuck here with you. I don't know what either of us would have done if only one of us were trapped in the game. Knowing me, I probably would have come in after you..."

She planted a kiss on his cheek, and then turned to face the path. 

"I'm ready.

Baldur smiled at her teasing, and bumped her hip back with the side of his as they walked towards the northern end of the Town of Beginnings. The street they walked down was empty except for the rattle of their swords and th sounds of their footsteps echoing down the empty street. When she brought up what they would have done if they had been separated, instead of together, he shivered.

"I'm glad that will never happen." His walking slowed a minute as his mind dwelt on that, and then with a shake of his head he forced it away and picked up his pace.

"Between the two of us, it would be better if one focused on defense and the other on offense. Do you have a preference?"

As he asked the question, they emerged onto one of the large boulevards, the stone street was lined with trees and shops of all kinds, many of which were available for purchase by players - though none could afford one on the first day. Just up ahead was the large arched gates out onto the first field, and their first battles.

Tyger thought about it for a moment. Defense or Attack? For right now it didn't necessarily matter. With no visible defense items in her price range, even if she was going to have a shield. 

"You mean like a DPS and a Tank?"

She preferred DPS, but knowing Baldur's talent with a katana in the real world, he was probably better suited for swinging it around. She didn't like having both hands on her weapon, so using a shield would be better. 

"It doesn't necessarily come into play just yet, until we have a little money to get a shield. Unless we find one, at least. I don't mind using the shield, if we need a tank. I'm pretty fond of bashing faces in with them."

In her other games she played, she used them as an offensive weapon. But, hey, she could probably tank, right? She wasn't sure what Baldur was heading for. 

"Let's get a few levels under our belt, and we can window shop here or in the next town for some more equipment."

Baldur nodded at her words, she made sense, but he was someone who would obsessively plan everything out several steps in advance, and reevaluate along the way at certain milestones. But she did make a good point, they didn't yet have a good enough feel of the world or the systems to really even understand what was and was not possible. Most MMOs followed the Trinity of Tank, DPS, and healer... but SAO had no magic, and no real healing class. He had seen healing items in a few of the shops, but in a game like this, there still had to be tanks... that being said, he wasn't sure if he wanted Tyger to be one of them. Going a little bit tanky was probably the best bet for everyone.

As they stood at the gate he turned to her, "We need to make sure we maintain a generous margin of safety, but that being said, since our HP is so low that's going to be difficult. Be safe, and don't be afraid of running." He was vocalising this for both of their benefits. "These should only take a hit or two, so if one of us runs, the other should be able to finish it off quickly. We just need to keep awareness of our surroundings, and where the mobs will respawn."

He drew his saber and held it in his right hand and looked over at Tyger, "I love you."

And then he stepped out of the safe zone.

"I love you too."

It didn't feel any different, stepping out of the safe zone. There wasn't any warning, there wasn't a strange feeling, or an uneasy feeling in her stomach either. She did, in fact, join the game for this very thing. Combat, at least. Although, the gamebox didn't mention the whole 'death' thing. Maybe it was the rusty Japanese...

"I will admit, I uh... didn't read the manual."

She scratched the back of her neck nervously. She never really read the manuals, due to the standard tutorials for most games. However, she assumed because the game was this way, there wouldn't be any tutorials. 

"I'm going to let you lead so I can learn the combat system."

Better for Baldur, who knew what he was doing, to lead for now. Tyger enjoyed leading and she wasn't usually bad at it, but she couldn't be her usual stubborn self until she knew what she was doing.

"I'll follow you."

She smiled, pointing to a lone boar to their right.

• Rolled a 4 on the d4 dice.
  • Rolled a 2 on the d6 dice.
  • Rolled a 4 on the d8 dice.
  • Rolled a 10 on the d10 (battle) dice.
  • Rolled a 1 on the d10 (mob) dice.
  • Rolled a 5 on the d12 (craft) dice.
  • Rolled a 13 on the d20 (loot) dice.

Baldur watched the field in front of them. The areas immediately around the gate were full of players who like them, decided to jump onto leveling, but were staying close to the safety of the gate. Some seemed to have a handle the system, and others didn't. Off in the distance, he saw a lone figure disappearing beyond the hill. He was certain beta testers would know the best spots, but he didn't want to follow them. For now, they belonged here, in the training grounds. The boars seemed a forgiving mob, but even still he was surprised to see people seeming to pose, rather than fight, and getting hit by the boar. He watched them for a moment, since every mob was 'claimed.'

One person kept posing, and the boar kept hitting him. Baldur began to feel uncomfortable since his health was now in the yellow, but then suddenly the player shot forward faster than he would have believed possible for someone who had been standing still through all the other attacks. As his eyes roamed over the others fighting the boars he saw the pattern, they assumed a position and a moment later they executed a move. At level one, Jason wasn't sure that he had any sword moves. For now, he'd have to rely on his skill with the sword instead. Maybe they got one at level 2?

Tyger pointed off into the distance where there was a lone boar, and Baldur took off at a run. They needed to kill as few as they could, as quickly as they could, to get out of these starting fields. He wanted to shout out, a battle cry felt appropriate, but he maintained his silence, his focus and he came up on the boar from behind. The saber was a one handed sword and he had to resist the urge to grab hold of it with his left, but with a heavy stomp of his right foot and an powerful kiai he brought the saber straight down on the boars neck. He wasn't used to slashing so low, since a person stood much taller than a boar, but one of his old instructors used to have them practice swinging at the back of metal folding chairs to try and stop the blade as close to the chair as possible without hitting it. In this case, however, the light trail from his attack when through the boar's neck and a moment later it shattered into luminescent particles. 

Baldur stood there a moment, shocked and at the same time panting due to the emotions flooding through him. They had done it. They had killed the first mob. He flicked the blade to the side out of habit, throwing off blood which wasn't on his blade when a short distance away Tyger was catching up to him as a boar spawned between the two of them. They weren't aggro mobs, though, so they weren't in immediate danger.

Turn Order:

Baldur 5/5

Boar #1 0/3

Tyger 5/5

Boar #2 3/3

<<Boar #1>> 0/3 HP

DMG: Critical Hit: 1+1+2

(Drops 15 Col)

<<Boar #2>> 3/3 HP

Baldur immediately jumped at the boar she'd pointed out, and for good reason. Her surveys yielded the same things Baldur had come up with. There were quite a few people here fighting the boars, having the same idea she and Baldur had. The boars were grappling with others, and there weren't any others open. She had confidence in Baldur though. She'd seen him fight in real life, and it was a lucky talent to bring over. None of these boars would need a medical examination, so what good was she right now? Either way, after Baldur struck a good, strong blow, there was an explosion of pixels as the boar was exterminated. 

"Good job! Great shot!"

She yelled, pumping her fist into the air. When she did, something happened between her and her companion. The air seemed to distort around something, and the vision around the boar rippled as it spawned. Rhoan's hand immediately fumbled for her sword at her side, gripping at it while she watched the boar sniff around. She could tell Baldur was watching her, and she held up a finger at him, telling him to stay out of it while she fought this. Baldur didn't necessarily give her much time to watch how he fought, but it couldn't be helped. Her sword made a metallic sound as it was pulled from it's sheath, and she held it out in front of her, charging forward when the boar wasn't paying attention. This is the beginning... If I can't make it here, then good grief, I won't be able to do anything in this world, let alone survive.

Her sword pierced the hide of the boar that had spawned, immediately causing it to explode into the shimmering pixels. Instinctively, her hand batted around her face, worried the pixels would get in her face. Oh, video games. Wait no... there WAS something that had appeared that she HAD in fact, seen! An item!

Rolled a 9 on the d10 (battle) dice.

Rolled a 7 on the d10 (mob) dice.

Rolled a 6 on the d12 (craft) dice.

Rolled a 20 on the d20 (loot) dice. (Hope I did this right)

34qmovs.png

Boar.png

Boar

Health (0/3)

Status Herp Derp Ow

Damage Dealt 0

Damage Recieved 3

photo-4182.png?_r=1420429425

Rhoan

Health (5/5)

Status Badass

Damage Dealt 3 (2 Skill DMG + 1 CRIT DMG)

Damage Recieved 0

BOAR dropped: The Tiger's Fang (Scimitar)

1 mat

Baldur smiled proudly at Tyger as she dispatched her boar with impressive skill. He walked over to her and carefully gave her a one handed celebratory hug, and then held out his left hand for a high five.

"Way to go!"

He grinned and looked around, but there weren't any other boars around them, and people were jumping on several the moment they spawned.

"Let's go over this hill and see if there are some spawning a little further away."

There was a dirt path taking them through the amber waves of grass, the other players were immediately much thinner when went over the next hill. The boars didn't seem to be as plentiful here, but there were only one or two other people this far out. Baldur pointed at a near by boar and took off at a more controlled pace. This time, however, the boar saw him and when he came at the boar with a horizauntl slash, it caught it with it's tusk. The boar then reared up on it's hind legs and tried to get him in the leg, but Baldur swung his leg to the side, re-positioning himself. In fencing they had called it "Parry 9" the most important parry of them all. Backing up.

• Rolled a 1 on the d10 (battle) dice.
  • Rolled a 4 on the d10 (mob) dice.
  • Rolled a 10 on the d12 (craft) dice.
  • Rolled a 11 on the d20 (loot) dice.

Turn Order:

<<Baldur>> HP 5/5 - Miss

<<Boar #3>> HP 3/3 - Miss

<<Tyger>> HP 5/5

#6304 Battle - 5 Craft - 9  Loot - 20 MOB - 5    Tyger Msg_hover2.png 2015-01-06 17:18:37 (I don't like this way T.T)

"Damn straight!"

She grinned, returning his high five. However, she went a step above his one armed hug and kissed his cheek again. When Baldur mentioned moving, Tyger agreed. Moving location seemed wise. Tyger started to feel like the little meadow was beginning to get a bit crowded with all the hustle and bustle. Many people had gotten over their fear of the game, and had started to wander, whether in determination or disbelief. Even after their two slain boars, it was enough time for more people to start dotting the landscape. So, she followed Baldur to the next little hill. There weren't as many spawn points, but because of that, there weren't many people over here.

Thankfully, they didn't have to wait too long before another boar appeared. It looked similar to the two they'd slain, so it couldn't be much stronger. At this rate, getting these creatures under their belts was the right way to go. And, of course, that meant they'd be ahead of the crowd. Uh, hopefully. Baldur launched his attack, but the boar had turned it's head, connecting it's tusk to Baldur's sword. The sound wasn't as horrible as she'd expected, being it wasn't metal on metal. Still, it was a miss. Tyger gritted her teeth and her grip on her sword in hand tightened. Her lip curled, ready for her more feral form of fighting. Baldur made it look easy with his moves, parries and training. Rhoan was just good at slashing.

"You forgot about me!"

She snarled, slashing at the boar with her scimitar. The cut didn't make it explode this time, but it was a start. 

DAMAGE INFLICTED: (2)

Boar (1/3)

For a moment, Baldur forgot about the death game. He had been surprised when he had missed, and his confidence came crashing down, but Tyger was immediately their and her hit dropped the boar's HP down to a third of what it had been. This time, the boar turned to her, leaving itself wide open as he brought his blade up from the lower position and connected with its hindquarters. It showered in rainbow colored pixels in front of him.

"It didn't drop anything more than a handful of Col. We'll probably need to hit up some quests in the next hub to keep up our gear. For now though, I feel like I'm getting the hang of this."

He stopped and looked around for more of the boars. Off in the distance he could see wolves, but by the color of their name, he could tell that they were aggressive.

"Let's get more of these boars, but watch out for where those wolves roam."

• Rolled a 6 on the d10 (battle) dice.
  • Rolled a 3 on the d10 (mob) dice.
  • Rolled a 11 on the d12 (craft) dice.
  • Rolled a 4 on the d20 (loot) dice.

<<Baldur>> 5/5 - Hit for 2 dmg

<<Boar #3>> 0/3

Where Baldur had missed, she'd made sure to make up for. The last thing they wanted was any damage, right? Rhoan knew that she needed to be careful, but after a few successful bouts with these boar, it was making her feel better about the whole experience. 

"Yeah, I feel like i'm getting better at this, too!"

She grinned, bumping into Baldur's hip.

"We can hit the quests later. In a little bit, that is. Let's get a level or two, yeah?"

As if on cue, another boar had spawned in their particular area. Not many people were around, so they had the thing to themselves. Rhoan pulled her sword out and grinned, getting into an offensive stance. With two battles under her belt, she was ready for the next one. Her feet were planted firmly on the ground as the boar looked at her, calculating if she was going to charge. It wouldn't turn hostile until she attacked it though. It gave her an edge. Maybe she'd hit another one of those criticals from earlier, eh?

"Watch and learn, baby."

She winked at Baldur, and charged forward. However, her slash was off target due to a root in the way. Her foot got caught under it, sending her tumbling to the ground with a loud thud. When the dirt and dust cleared, Tyger was face to face with the boar, snorting angrily. It took a step back and rushed forward, charging it's head into hers. The tusks cut her cheeks, leaving a small mark in her digital face. Tyger let out a cry, staggering to her feet. 

"That... I don't... that was..."

ID 6307

Rolled a 1 on the d10 (battle) dice

Rolled a on the d10 (mob) dice

Rolled a 18 on the d20 (loot) dice