[SP - F1]<<Earning a Living>>[Tailor] Ariel - The Crowned Lion

Kayla knew that most MMO's had a job system that allowed players to pick a profession so that they could have another source of income except grinding all day. So she decided to search the "Starting City" around for some NPC that could give her a job. The walked around the central square and saw a couple of Blacksmith NPC's. She approached them and asked them how she can become a smith herself. They started boasting about how noble and ancient their job is and so on... until they got to the job description and requirements she got bored and left them alone while saying

"Yeah if being a smith requires such a big ego and stuff I'm better off, without it." She continued her search in the city's market. Maybe here she could have better luck. 

Reaching the market area she was still amazed of this game. It felt so real to her, the colours, the smell, the sounds. Even though she was stuck in here like everybody else she felt a little guilty because she kind of enjoyed it...Enjoyed the chance to finally put her hard IRL fencing training to use, not only in tournaments or training with her father. Here she felt something different when she gripped the rapier.At first she went to the blacksmith in the square, but something didn't feel right.

"Well I have to at least listen to the other jobs NPC before finally choosing one right?" while finishing that thought she saw a woman playing the pan flute in the market. The song that she was playing reminded her of was a unusual version of "The lonely shepherd" from a old film she liked called Kill Bill. Even though the song was a modern variation it still attracted quite a crowd. So Kayla decided to stop and listen for a moment.

She listened to the song until it ended. Almost all the people from the crowd did.When it ended all present bursted into a loud round of applause. It lasted several minutes and some of them even called out for "Bis" (Latin: "second time") or "encore" (French: "again/some more") and she even heard "de capo"(Italian: "from the beginning").

"Huh who would of thought this game had players from all around the world, well who am I to say that...since I am half spanish myself" she chuckled at that thought and then she took some col from her inventory and placed it in a hat nearby the performer. As she got closer she saw a golden question mark appear above her head. 

Surprised by the sudden appearance of a question mark, Kayla unwittingly took two steps back while asking with a timid voice:
"you...you are a NPC? but the song just now..it was so beautiful. It didn't cross my mind for one second that you might not be a player."

The girl as if she didn't hear Kayla's question about her being a NPC, responded in a cheerful voice:

"Do you really think so? I practiced it day after day until I got to this level, now I'm trying to make a living out of it. But where are my manners, my name is Canen, thank you for your support." she then took a short break to take a breath of air and arrange her hair, then as if remembering something continued: "Are you by chance interested in becoming a Performer? I could guide you through the steps if you would like to be one as myself".

Kayla thought about that for some time, while Canen was looking at her. She would enjoy to play at a instrument, out in the open streets, performing for anyone who was willing to listen to her. But the thought of her beginning training in another art beside fencing was too much for her. If she would seriously consider accepting it and start training on playing an instrument that would've mean she had to focus less on fencing. And even then who knows how much time it would take her to reach a decent level. So she looked Canen in the eyes and responded in a low tone:

"I'm sorry but I have to decline your offer, at the moment I must focus in my own art" but Canen didn't seem to mine simply replying:

"Its okay, you don't have to look so downed. If you enjoyed my song please come by every time you want, and I will play a song for you. I'll be waiting:D" and with that she finished packing her instrument and went towards a random direction.

Watching the performer pack her thing and leave, she felt a bit of loneliness for some reason. But shook it off and continued her search even more determined to find a job that suited her tast. She walked around the market place for some time, when she suddenly stopped in from of a tailor shop display. The shop itself wasn't big but it had a impressive frame display, from fancy dinner dresses with frills to combat leather armor. She unconsciously walked inside bewitched by the beauty of the items and by the fact that she wanted to see more. In the inside there were even more such items. As the entrance bell rang, announcing her arrival, the shopkeeper welcomed her. But Ariel was too distracted to even notice and started examining the items one by one.

After a while the shopkeeper got irritated at the client for not even noticing her presence. While Ariel was looking at a beautiful black dress with a white rose imprint at the side, the shopkeeper approached the client as stealthy as she could, wanting to pay her back for the indifference she showed. Once behind her, she let out a greeting, almost shouting behind Ariel.

"Excuse me, can I help you with something? Perhaps you are interested in purchasing that particular dress?"

As soon as she heard a sound behind her, Ariel's reflexes kicked in as she turned around while taking two steps back. In the same she had her hand on the rapier's hilt, drawing it, then stopped midway. Behind her stood one of teh most beautiful women that she ever saw. The shopkeeper appeared to be in her mid 30's and had a slender figure, long black hair that flowed a little lower than her shoulders and a pair of deep-sea blue eyes. 

Ariel was left speechless for a second, then regained her composure. While guiltily stroking her hair she answered to the shopkeeper:

"Um sorry, It's so beautiful that I would buy it, but i can't afford it...I'm..." she thought for a second how to respond to that then replied:

"..I'm new in town so I haven't had the chance to get a job yet" she truthfully responded. She figured out that if she talked again about the differences between NPCs and players, she would get ignored again. Like what happened with the performer. But she saw the shopkeepers face do a small twitch while she said the word "job". Then out of the blue a golden question mark appeared above the womans head. Her tone changed in a more cheerful one while saying:

"Well in that case why not make your own clothes. I can teach you the secrets of tailoring."

Ariel couldn't believe what she was hearing: "You mean I can make such beautiful clothing like this?" she said that while stroking gently the black dress beside her, it was made of silk and felt so soft upon touch. Could she really be able to make such beautiful dresses? from what she knew tailoring required discipline, attention and more important a steady hand to sew more easily. And those traits she already obtained in one way or another thru her training. It wasn't exactly the same but she thought that becoming a tailor could only help her, make her hand more steady and precise. So she responded happily to the NPC.

"Yes I would like to become a Tailor, please teach me, madam!" As she said that the question mark above the womans head disappeared and she responded:

"Okay then its settled. First thing you have to know is my name Diana."

Immediately realizing that she hadn't introduced herself Ariel responded hastily:

"My name is Ariel, nice to meet you madam Diana" after hearing that Diana looked at Ariel from head to toes before saying:

"Well you're not a complete mess regarding your wardrobe. Then turns around and begins her speech:

"Tailoring is one of the oldest professions here in Aincrad, you will find our kind in all the cities here and...*flavor text about tailoring history, after a while we reach the ending*... And like that I will instill upon you the secrets of our business. Are you prepared for such a feat? " Surprisingly Ariel found all that history interesting and wanted to know more so she responded in a timid tone:

"Yes, I am ready just tell me what I need to do" Diana let out a broad smile while replying:

"Very well then, as your first task you need to gather the required materials used for tailoring, firstly you should get 2 Cotton Balls from the cotton fields around Tolbana, then find 1 leather hide  from the <<Frenzy Boars>> around the "starting city". What do you say easy enough right? when you have all those items come to me and we can continue your training.

"I will return shortly madam" she responded making a small bow the leaving the store. She marked the place on her map, this was a golden opportunity for her. She felt excitement building inside of her.

"Who would've thought that tailoring can be so awesome" she said while rushing to the outskirts of "starting city".

Immediately after she left the towns premises she would see a boar and charge towards it.

ID: 6437

BD:8 MD: 5

Ariel (9/9)

Frenzy Boar(1/3)

Ariel rushed towards it and landed a successful hit on the boars head, but the boar was now pissed off and charged towards her blindly making it easy for her to evade.

ID: 6438

BD:4 MD:6

Ariel(8/9)

Frenzy Boar(1/3)

Trying again to strike the boar Ariel fails and gets hit by it .

ID: 6439

Ariel(7/9)

Frenzy Boar(1/3)

Kayla Tries to strike the mob again but fails miserably and gets hit, 

"Damn this things are harder to kill than they look"

The battle continued as Ariel stared into the beasts eyes letting out a killing intent that could be sensed by anyone near them.

ID: 6440
Ariel(6/9)
Frenzy Boar(1/3)
She tries to attack the boar again but fails in striking it, and takes another hit 

ID: 6441
BD:3 MD:3
Ariel(6/9)
Frenzy Boar(1/3)
"This is starting to get ridiculous, why can't I get one more hit??" murmured Ariel in a harsh voice while preparing to strike it again.

ID: 6442
BD:1 MD:1
Ariel(6/9)
Frenzy Boar(1/3)
Both the boar and Ariel stumble upon something and fall before reaching one another.

ID: 6443
BD:6 MD:6 LD:15
Ariel(5/9)
Frenzy Boar(0/3)

The tip of the blade struck the boar in its leg, but that didn't stop him from hitting her one last time before disappearing and leaving behind a item and some col. Upon closer inspection Ariel sees that it is a leather hide. She picks it up and and drinks one of her water vial to restore her hp.

"I hope cotton gahtering isn't this hard" she says as she heads towards the outskirts of Tolbana to collect some cotton.
The road to Tolbana was relatively short, but she still had to be careful to evade future encounters like the one with the boar. She almost ran into a couple of them while admiring the view around her.
"This game...I can't believe how beautiful it is, too bad it turned out to be a death trap. What were the developers thinking letting that madman in charge"
As she gets closer she could see the cotton fields, and started rushing over there anxiously.
Rolled a 3 on the d10 (battle) dice.
Rolled a 10 on the d10 (mob) dice.
Rolled a 7 on the d12 (craft) dice.
Rolled a 9 on the d20 (loot) dice.

The first cotton flower she sees is swarming with insects so she decides to try another one. Luckily she had where to choose from.

"Cmon, patience is your only ally now. Don't lose you calm Ariel. How hard can it be to find two healthy cotton flowers?...you have before you a whole cotton field to search, just take a deep breath and continue" she pep talked herself, not to get discouraged by first attempt. 
Rolled a 9 on the d10 (battle) dice.
Rolled a 2 on the d10 (mob) dice.
Rolled a 10 on the d12 (craft) dice.
Rolled a 19 on the d20 (loot) dice.
In her second attempt she succeeded in finding a Cotton Ball. "Good one more to go."

Rolled a 10 on the d10 (battle) dice.
Rolled a 8 on the d10 (mob) dice.
Rolled a 4 on the d12 (craft) dice.
Rolled a 15 on the d20 (loot) dice.
She looks around for more, most of them were swarming with bugs. When she almost wanted to give up she saw a cotton flower in perfect state and rushed towards it an upon closer inspection she saw that it was still good. So she harvested it thus obtaining a second Cotton Ball.
"Finally I got all the materials! Now time to head back to madam's Diane shop." she let out a happy shout while started running towards the "Starting City". She reached the city maingate right before dusk and checked her map, the shop was a few minutes walking distance so she started heading towards the market area.
She entered the shop while greeting the shopkeeper. "Good evening, madame Diane I have returned with the required items." and she summons her inventory then takes out the leather hide and the 2 cotton balls. 

Diane starts inspecting the items and then says in a pleased voice. "Very good Ariel this will do just fine" then she goes to the front door and lock it while turning the "Open" sign backwards. Then heads towards a backroom door while beckoning Ariel to follow her. The girl starts following her and they end up in some sort of storage room. It was filled with materials and tools used for tailoring.
Then Diane stops and starts speaking: "Okay this is where I shall teach you my art, It will take almost all nigh. I hope you're not busy" And she started to take out stuff and handed Ariel some.
"This is going to be a long night huh? this will be fun...I hope" asks Ariel herself, while hearing that her previous hype started disappearing little by little.

The training didn't last only a night as she hoped, it lasted more like one entire month. In the first day she was introduced with the basic tools that consisted of: an all purpose threat, pins & pin cushion, seam ripper, sewing needles, safety pin, fabric scissors, measuring tapes and bobbins. At first she didn't knew what to do with them, but her teacher Diana calmly explained to her the purpose of every item and how to use it. She was a caring teacher that skillfully explained everything in a sense that she understood so Ariel learned about the kit quite easily. When it was time to practice, the caring teacher turned into a spartan trainer, pushing Ariel to the limit for a few days.

Next comes the Materials class. Ariel learned from her teacher what she could use and where to get it.Thing that she thought to be useless like boar and wolf hides or the cotton from the cotton fields near Tolbana started gaining importance and a special part in her inventory. Diana send her after a wolf hide one day and Ariel had a hard time acquiring it. 

[6670]BD:10 MD:6

Ariel: 12/13

Dire Wolf: 3/7

Ariel attacked it head on, pointing her rapier at the beast's nose and striking it with a critical hit. but in the exchanged the wolf managed to hit her as well.

[6672] BD:4 MD: 10

Ariel: 9/13

Wolf: 3/7

Ariel stopped a moment to smirk as her hit took more than half of the wolf's hp. But the wolf was enraged and attacked her from behind and this time he handed a critical hit.

[6673] BD:8 MD:4

Wolf: 1/7

This time it was her turn to be enraged so she attacked it again aiming for the head again but barely missed it striking at the wolfs ribs instead. The wolf struck by pain missed Ariel completely in his charge

[6674] BD:8 MD:3

Wolf: -1/7

As a last stand the wolf charged towards Ariel with all its might. She made a silent prayer for the noble beast's soul before striking it in its stomach before it got a chance to hit her. The wolf's image changed into a million polygons and left behind only a item, it was the "Wolf's hide" that she needed.

So she grabbed it and returned to her teacher's shop to continue her training.

The morning of the last day of training found Ariel still awake and very tired. She had finally finished learning the basics of tailoring last night and now she was admiring her finished products that resulted. Diana was carefully analyzing every item, when she finished she said:
"Well it isn't the best lot I've seen a greenhorn do..but still its pretty good. I will be keeping this, thank you very much! consider it your study fees, if you like" responded Diana with a wink. Ariel didn't mind, she knew that now she can practice this newly learned skill, even open up her own shop in which she could make even better items. She bid Diane farewell and left the shop in search for new adventures, eager to put her new learned skill to work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold gained: 400 (upon completion of 20 pages)

Job gained: [Tailor] (with the right to open her own shop)