[SP-F1] First Steps

I never thought I would even leave the Starting City. I believed I would lock myself in a room and wait, no matter how long, until someone else did the impossible, and I was set free from this world. But as I contemplated my future, I found I couldn't just sit around praying for others to risk their lives. Not because I felt obligated to feel bad for these brave souls, but because my heart couldn't stand the tension.

When in situations of extreme stress, my heart starts to throb, sending pulses of terrible pain throughout my body. Back home, they called it stress pains. I call it my greatest flaw. So, because I had to keep myself from thinking too long about my predicament, I found myself leaving the small inn I'd been staying at, and wandering the streets for anything for me to do.

I passed by a small blacksmith's shop. The NPC running it was a tall, gruff looking figure. His greying black hair was swept back, and his blue shirt was covered by an apron that looked to be two sizes to small, and was covered in black dust.

"Get the best quality weapons and armor at the best cost!" He called out just about every ten seconds.

I walked over and he turned to me.

"Hey there! You looking to protect yourself, or do some damage?"

"Actually, I'm looking to improve the stats on a sword I have." I answered.

The large man processed my words. "Oh, yes, I can help with that!" He gestured for me to hand over the item. I browesd my inventory and found what I was looking for, and it appeared in my hands a moment later.

The sword's name was . When I logged onto SAO, an award box immediately popped up. It had congratulated me on being the 100th person to log on, and as a reward, I was given this weapon. At first, I planned to go out into the fields surrounding the town and one-shot boars at my leisure, but as I first looked at it's stats, I frowned.

It had poor damage rates, but what was most shocking was it's -3 Durability; Which is why I came to this smith.

"-3 Durability? This thing is being held together by glue and a prayer!"

"Can you do anything for it?"

He looked back with a frown. "I can increase the durability to 0, but any more increases will have to be done by a better blacksmith, not saying I'm not great!" He laughed.

I paid him and stood by as he brought the blade into a small funace. Seconds went by, then he placed the glowing red blade to an anvil. I winced everytime his hammer came down. After a few good swings, the sword shown a beautiful white sparkle effect, then returned to normal.

"There you go! It should be able to survive a block or decent strike, but I wouldn't risk it!"

"Thank you."

I paid him and immediately placed the gorgeous sword back to my menu. I didn't trust my self not to drop it and have it shatter. As I left, I could hear the man return to calling out his skills.

Hard to believe that entire conversation was with a digital being. That man was made of nothing but data and code.

This was defiantly the future.

I walked around a bit, and ended up a large courtyard. Rows of flowers grew in a pattern only possible in games. A fountain bubbled quietly at the center. A few players were here, sitting on benches or talking to others as they passed through.

There has to be something to do in the city.

I turned left and saw another NPC standing near the edge of the court. She looked to be much older than me, with a white dress and short, blonde, cropped hair. As I wandered closer, I noticed she looked to have been crying, she had a quest icon over her.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

She turned my direction.

"Quite the opposite actually. My little Joey left town and went near the lake to fish, but hasn't returned home. I don't want to ask to much of you, but..."

I knew what she wanted. She was going to ask if I could go and find her kid and bring him back. Even though she was programmed to say these things, I felt sorry for her.

"No, it's alright. I'll gladly go and get him."

Her face softened.

"Oh, thank you! Let me give this map of the area around the lake. He should be at the southern most end. Thanks again!"

That was an hour ago.

The map lead me to where the kid was supposed to be, and after exploring for a while, I came across a small grotto near the lake's edge. There was a pretty good drop off, so I guessed the kid slippedand fell down. I brought out a thick rope I kept for situations just like this, tied it around a thick tree, and decended down.

This place smells awful.

Rounding a bend, I found the kid in a corner but across from him was a large black shape. It had rotten looking flesh and scales were falling off in areas. Glossy eyes had turned my direction, and I attempted to shoot it with a bolt from my crossbow before it had a chance to move.

(1-5) Misses

(6-10) Hits square in an eyeball

• 2 weeks later...

The iron bolt missed by a few inches. A loud clang rang out as it pattered to the ground. The grotesque beast shrieked, and came barreling towards me with speed I wouldn't have thought possible for it's weight. I had no time to react, and was slammed aside into a tunnel wall. The air was forced out of my lungs as I fell to the ground.

I sat up, seeing stars. The mutant fish turned and came at me again, it's huge body rushing forward like a train. I had to try and get out of the way.

(1-5) Fails to move fast enough

(6-10) Succeeds in rolling away

I jumped to one side, and the creature collided with the wall where I had been not a moment ago. I noticed a status condition symbol over it's head.

Confused?

That was how I was going to defeat this thing. I would let it ram into walls and attack when it was staggered. I readied my knife, and slashed at the fish thing.

(Evens) Low damage

(Odds) High Damage