[SP-F6] I'm a Gemini, He's a Gemini? We're ALL Gemini! (Completed)

Floor 6. The jungle floor.

Baldur said he was heading here a day or so ago, so it seemed a good idea to check out the floor as well. The forge was closed for the day, being that there wasn't much in the way of shoppers at the moment. The jungle was a change of pace, and reminded her nothing of home. She'd never been to any jungle, so this was a treat, despite the fact she'd been locked in a game to the death. 

"Guess it could be worse."

She murmured to herself, wearing her newest gear to make up for her lack of floor knowledge. Who knew what could pop out at her from those unknown shadows, eh?

"What else is on this floor?"

NOW she knew why Baldur wanted to come here.

Aside from players, all the NPC were women on this floor. Amazon was filled with them. Stifling back a huff, Tyger stalked off into the jungle to do some exploring, ignoring the men fawning over the NPC's. They'd be here forever, while she was getting stuff done.

"Poor sops."

She chuckled to herself, placing a hand on the sword hilt at her side while she walked. As she neared the edge of Amazon towards the jungle, something strange caught her attention. A male player, just waiting at the edge of the gate. He looked like he was watching the gate, waiting for people to enter. Something wasn't right. 

Tyger, curiosity killing the cat as the saying would say, approached the man. Once she got into his range, his attention snapped to her, and he flashed a brilliant smile. 

"Ah! Welcome to Amazon, adventurer!"

He crooned, hands slipping into the pockets of the suit jacket he wore. She wondered why he reminded her of a shark, or one of those door-to-door salesman that got on your nerves before slamming the door in their faces. 

"Uh, hi.."

She managed to reply, looking around to make sure he was talking to her. How odd.

"How'd you like to get a few bags 'a riches while you're here, hmm?"

The initial feelings she got about him were right! He must've been some sort of merchant player. Meh.

"Oh, hey, sorry, i'm not interested in buying anything. I just wanna go and kill some mobs."

Well, it was the honest answer. However, the man wasn't about to give up. Silly programming. 

"Me? A salesman? Ha! I loathe the breed. No, me... I'm more of a combat man, myself."

From underneath his jacket he produced a small rapier, sticking it into the ground in the same fashion Tyger did. 

"A betting man, I am too. Howsabout we duel outside these gates, hmm? You and me. You win, and you'll get those riches I was talking about."

His eyes searched her face, trying to guess her answer. 

Tyger shrugged. 

"I guess I just don't see why you would waste any riches you might've gotten gambling in fights with random people on floor 6. I mean, don't get me wrong, i'll play along, but why risk it, hmm?"

The man smiled a bit too broadly for her liking, and watched as the menu in front of Tyger opened. "    " has challenged you to a duel! 

"Weird. Your name isn't popping up."

Suspicion grew in her stomach, but she remembered speaking with the girl that had all underscores for her name (which was infuriating, but acceptable) so maybe this was something along those lines?

"Alright. Let's play, fella!"

Her finger pressed accept.

As the timer dropped down from 60, the man took off his jacket and placed it calmly on the ground next to him. 

"Best of luck!"

He seemed to be a good sport, so maybe he hadn't lost much whenever he did this bet? 

"Thanks! Best of luck to you too! Hey, I forgot to mention..."

This duel didn't make sense now, and Baldur would probably have killed her for doing this. 

"You mentioned i'd get a few riches if I won. What do you get, if you win?"

The man didn't answer, but instead doubled over forward, chuckling slightly. His body began to shimmer like those beasts that'd been killed, and he materialized into a copy of her. The duel rules changed from 'First Blood' to 'Death'. Her heart stopped. 

"... Your soul."

His voice chilled her to the bone. Tiberius Surge was ready to fight in an instant, and she hoped this new equipment would come in handy. Baldur... I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do something this stupid!

The man's name changed from "   " to 'The Gemini'. Of course! A copycat? 

But, if this was a player, how would he do that? He must be some sort of shapeshifter, maybe some player that was messing around! Or, perhaps a female player that could change shape, or... The possibilities were endless. Too many questions, not enough answers. If she didn't win this, she was really going to die!

"It's a trick! I can't believe this!"

She snarled, charging forward to slash at The Gemini. He sidestepped easily, but his attack was easily dodged as well. 

"Too bad for you!"

It hissed. At least it didn't sound like her. Or, maybe it did. Tyger's blood rushing to her ears made it hard to hear anything.

ID 7361, Battle 4, Mob 4, CD 2

<Tyger> 15/15 -miss-

<The Gemini> 15/15 -miss-

Fingers gripped the hilt of Tiberius Surge a bit too tight. 

Her stance was too wide, she didn't have enough balance.

Fighting lessons ran through her head as she tried to make sense of this horrible situation. She couldn't let the NPC get the best of her. More than likely, she hoped that people would come watch and realize that the woman standing here was a swindle, so they wouldn't get duped into the same situation. Tyger kept mentioning a 'he,' but now he looked just like her. Perhaps it was merely some sort of blob monster NPC?

"Quit trying to rationalize it, you won't win."

The voice that came out sounded way too much like Tyger for her liking. This had gone on long enough. She charged forward, slashing through her doppleganger, the Gemini, with a well struck blow. The Gemini slid back a few feet, but lived either way. The HP bar looked about the same as hers. Did it copy her stats too? The Gemini ran towards her, the rapier ready. However, a quick dodge saved her from some damage.

ID 7363, Battle 7, Mob 1, CD 2

<Tyger> 15/15 -Attacked for 4 Damage-

<The Gemini> 12/15 -Takes 3 damage-

Satisfied with the damage she'd done, Tyger dashed forward for another attack. She used her sword to slash at the imposter, but she barely missed slicing into the damned Gemini. A rapier was quick to answer back, but Tyger's reflexes brought her shield up to protect her face, allowing her enough time to step back and avoid further retaliation.

"You're one messed up cookie, i'll tell you that. This game really is out to kill us."

The Gemini hissed in delight, laughing much like Tyger did at a good pun.

"You have no idea."

Tyger wished the Gemini had said something else, like a taunt or a villain monologue. That was way too chilling for her liking. Her stomach practically dropped.

ID 7367, Battle 4, Mob 2, CD 8

<Tyger> 15/15 -Misses-

<The Gemini> 12/15 -Misses-

Power surged through Tyger whenever she thought about defeating monsters, or overcoming obstacles, so if she just channeled some positive, maybe the outcome would be better?

"Even if you manage to win, how will you get out of here, hmm? You're at a pathetic level."

The Gemini hissed, rapier stuck in the ground. This character had all of her habits down to a pat.

"That may be the case, but I can only go up from you!!"

She snarled, charging forward, slicing her sword through the Gemini's body. She barely felt the rapier stick into her leg. Yay armor, she guessed? The Gemini didn't have any of the armor Tyger had, at least. But when it gained HP, she realized it did have her skills. Damn it. What little damage hurt her was healed up with the healing, at least. If Tyger healed, it would heal. At least it didn't have her lifesteal.

ID 7370, Battle 8, Mob 8, CD 10

<Tyger> 15/15 -+2 HP from Lifesteal (Full Health already), Takes 1 damage, +1 HP from End Turn Battle Healing-

<The Gemini> 10/15 -Takes 4 Damage (3 after MIT), +1 HP from End Turn Battle Healing-

Another one of Tyger's hits was completely on point. Before the Gemini could retailate, she was in her face, slashing at her stomach. An orange line divided the midsection, causing a great bit of pain. If Tyger had been hurt, her HP would have been filled to the brim already. Battle Healing would take effect too. Wait, that meant...

Even though The Gemini's attack missed, she was smiling at Tyger with her own body. 

"Your strengths are my strengths... your weaknesses are your own."

It hissed, erupting into a cackle as she gripped the rapier with malice. Her HP bar shuddered towards the right, the opposite direction Tyger wanted it to go. censored... Tyger snarled in her mind.

ID 7375, Battle 9, Craft 12, Mob 4

<Tyger> 15/15 -Deals 5 Damage, +2 HP Lifesteal, +1 Battle Healing-

<The Gemini> 7/15 -Takes 5 Damage (4 after MIT), +1 HP with End Roll 

Tyger's thoughts travelled to Baldur. Man, when she got home Baldur was going to rip into her with all sorts of remarks about how she should not have done that. She could just feel his fear if he knew this was going on. Hell, she could feel her own fear right now. Baldur would understand though, this was all in an attempt to help them get stronger. She just hit a bit of bad luck. She wished Baldur was here with her, at least cheering her on. No, this is my own battle now. We're not together 24/7 365, he has his fights and I have mine. We'll share stories as normal tonight, this thing be damned.

"When I beat you to a bloody pulp, you're gonna tell me why you're doing this, got that?"

The Gemini merely snickered, readying her weapon.

"Hmph."

This person couldn't be reasoned with. Tyger dashed forward, but missed with her attack. Luckily, maybe it was the Evasion in her armor, The Gemini missed too. Tyger's HP was sound, but with each addition of HP, the Gemini would get it too. It was frustrating. Your strengths are my strengths... The words replayed in her head like some sick, broken record.

------------------------------------

ID 7386, Battle 5, Craft 10, Mob 5

<Tyger> -Misses, +1 HP with Battle Healing

<The Gemini> -Misses, +1 HP with Battle Healing

<Tyger> 15/15

<The Gemini> 8/15

Your strengths are my strengths...

Why did Tyger have to be so freaking strong? All she wanted was a little security when she was on the battlefield with her Lifesteal and Battle Healing. If she'd known this would be the outcome, then... To be fair, the Gemini was surviving because of it. How else would she still be alive? She certainly wouldn't be looking this good this far into the battle. Tyger pointed her sword's tip at the Gemini, and then rushed forward, slashing in an arc too wide to hit. 

"Looks like you're getting tired!"

The Gemini remarked, pushing the rapier forward in a strike. Tyger rolled forward, using her shield to brace the impact for her. Keeping her neck safe was important. She was healing up HP with Lifesteal and Battle Healing. At the thoughts of battle healing, The Gemini's health bar trickled up once more. 

Your strengths are my strengths...

ID 7387, Battle 2, Craft 11, Mob 1

<Tyger> -Misses, +1 HP with Battle Healing

<The Gemini> -Misses, +1 HP with Battle Healing

<Tyger> 15/15

<The Gemini> 9/15

Like a shark (or a used car salesman,) The Gemini could pick up on her fatigue and hone in on it. Tyger watched wearily as the Gemini circled around her, the duel progressing at a snail's pace. The Gemini's eyes matched Tyger's, and she could almost see her own scared reflection in them. When the Gemini looked like she wanted to make a move, Tyger lashed out with Tiberius Surge, striking first. The Gemini was hit, and damaged evidentally. Tyger's orange line streaked across the Gemini's arm. But still, the Gemini kept coming.

"It's okay. You were never meant to survive this anyways."

The rapier was driven into her back before Tyger could react. How did the Gemini move that fast? The point of the rapier stuck out of her chest, causing a good amount of damage. Luckily, the damage mitigation saved her from most of it. Tyger gasped and ran forward, keeping a good distance between the Gemini and herself. 

"I'm going to get out of here, and you're going to continue to get your ass beat by the players you swindle."

Tyger spat.

ID 7388, Battle 6, Craft 1, Mob 10

<Tyger> - Hits for 4 Damage, Mitigates 3 Damage

<The Gemini> - Hits for 4 Damage, Mitigates 1 Damage

<Tyger> 14/15

<The Gemini> 6/15

The Gemini looked as if it wanted to retaliate to Tyger's statement, but Tyger didn't give her the chance. She was already in The Gemini's face, snarling and slashing with a beserker frenzy. The orange line streaked up her torso and out her shoulder, and the Gemini's red lines from her rapier did the same. However, it didn't hurt Tyger as much as it hurt the Gemini. 

"You've made a mistake here. I can survive being orange for a day or so if it means saving my life. I'm not afraid of you. I have no choice. It's kill or be killed."

It sicked Tyger to think like that, but there wasn't much she could do. Her lifesteal from her shield kept her safe, for now. Battle Healing didn't kick in this turn, thankfully. She hoped she wouldn't need it, so that The Gemini wouldn't get the effects either. Man or woman, whatever it was. 

ID 7392, Battle 9, Craft 7, Mob 9

<Tyger> - Hits for 5 Damage, Mitigates 2 Damage, +2 HP Lifesteal

<The Gemini> - Hits for 3 Damage, Mitigates 1 Damage

<Tyger> 15/15

<The Gemini> 2/15

What did players look like when they died? 

Did the explode like the defeated mobs, erupting into a cascading, shimmering trail of light until the shards disappeared into the air? Or did they die like in real life, loud, quiet, eyes open or shut depending. Slowly bleeding out until they stop breathing? They didn't bleed in this game, so she didn't imagine that. She didn't see dead bodies, but she couldn't imagine everyone just exploding unceremoniously as they were defeated in battle. It just didn't seem respectful.

All these thoughts crossed Tyger's mind after her attack missed, and the Gemini's hit. Fatigue was pulling her limbs towards the ground, ready for rest and no armor. Just to sit, relax, lay on the bed and look up at the ceiling until you fall asleep sorta rest. She wasn't going to give in though.

"The only reason you're alive is my Battle Healing. Just hope you know that."

Tyger snarled bitterly. 

"Oh yes, thank you."

"Shut up."

ID 7393, Battle 3, Craft 10, Mob 7

<Tyger> - Misses, Mitigates 1 Damage, +1 HP for BH

<The Gemini> - Hits for 2 Damage, +1 HP for BH

<Tyger> 15/15

<The Gemini> 3/15

The Gemini watched as Tyger held up her sword, despite her fatigue.

"Why do you put yourself through this? I'd be doing you a favor. Your shop is never going to take off, you and your boytoy will never make it through this game, and you're just not strong enough to take down yourself, let alone anyone else. You're a weak spot in this game. If you can't even take down something as weak as yourself, how are you going to continue?"

The Gemini stepped forward, Rapier ready to strike as Rhoan slipped to her knees with the revelation. Snickering to itself, the Gemini plunged the sword into Tyger's back, creating a small red hole of damage. It didn't hurt much, and it would take some time to wear her completely down. 

If I can't even defeat this bottomfeeder.. What am I worth?

"Now, go ahead and roll over so I can skewer you and put you out of your misery."

ID 7394, Battle 3, Craft 3, Mob 9

<Tyger> - Misses, Mitigates 2 Damage

<The Gemini> - Hits for 3 Damage

<Tyger> 14/15

<The Gemini> 3/15

Tyger sat on her knees, staring down at her arms. Her palms sat on her knees, holding her back up. The Gemini was behind her, sword ready for another blow to the back. It would take a long time, but the Gemini could probably wear her down enough to actually do it. Fatigue was holding her down, as well as her emotions. She could just see the bottle of pills on her desk, next to her monitors and vitamins. She needed those daily, didn't she? Otherwise she'd get like this. One tiny seed planted was enough to break down the entire machine. 

"It's not like anyone would fight for you, anyways."

The Gemini continued to beat her down with her words, and Tyger closed her eyes. She could see Baldur smiling at her, handing her the flower, mouth wide open at the sight of the Magikarp, and back in the real world, snuggling her on the couch. Bringing the pill to her before he went to work to make sure she took it and didn't forget. Smiling at her from across the dinner table while Tyger played with a crab claw and fries. Baldur would fight for her. And Tyger would fight for her. She couldn't let this mere copy of her get the better of Rhoan Autumn Xavia. Nothing did that. Nothing had that right. When the Rapier came down, Tyger rolled to the side, grabbing at the foot of the Gemini and pulling it towards her. The surprised enemy fell on her back, startled.

ID 7395, Battle 3, Craft 11, Mob 5

<Tyger> - Misses, Mitigates 1 Damage, +1 Battle Healing

<The Gemini> - Hits for 2 Damage, +1 Battle Healing

<Tyger> 14/15

<The Gemini> 4/15

Tyger used her shield to help herself up to stand over the Gemini. She looked down into the eyes of her adversary, and stared. She could see many things. Hate, malice, anger, destruction and depression within them. But, there was no Tyger inside her. As much as she looked like Tyger, she wasn't Tyger. 

"My strength is MY own."

Tyger snarled, stepping onto the chest of the Gemini. She wriggled in an attempt to get away, or to reach her rapier that'd fallen a few paces away from the fall. Putting the majority of her weight on that leg, Tyger leaned down and stared into the face of her doppelganger. 

"Even if no one came to fight for me, I fight for myself. Because I am worth it, and nothing in this god forsaken game can tell me otherwise."

Tiberius Surge made an eerie sound as she pulled it out of the sheath, and it glimmered in the light as she held it above the Gemini. Fear crossed the eyes of the Gemini. No. That shouldn't be there either. You're no Tyger.

With a swift movement, Tyger used both hands to plunge the sword deep into the Gemini's chest. The scream was eerie, and nothing that Tyger could have produced in a million years. The body slowly began to disappear, lifting into the air with the little shards, just like the lowliest boar. 

ID 7396, Battle 9, Craft 1, Mob 1, Loot 8

<Tyger> - Hits for 5 Damage, +2 HP for Lifesteal

<The Gemini> - Mitigates 1 Damage

<Tyger> 15/15

<The Gemini> 0/15

Quest Completed!

The message bar blinked in front of her, taking the place of the Gemini in her field of vision. 

<The Gemini> Quest has been Completed. Here are your rewards.

This was a quest? 

Tyger breathed heavily, straining to pull her sword from the ground. The hilt had almost pressed into the sternum of the Gemini, so her sword was a good ways into the ground. 

"A [censored] quest?"

She snarled aloud, whipping Tiberius to the side, getting all of the dirt off of the metal in the process. 

"That wasn't a [censored] player messing with me? It's part of this damn game?!"

Anger took over Tyger as she stormed back towards Amazon. It was only a few steps away, but they felt like forever. Okay, maybe anger did have a place in the real Tyger. Because if there wasn't room, Tyger had just made some. Her player icon stayed green, at least. A pleasant surprise. She wouldn't have to explain that to Baldur, at least. Still... a freaking quest. She was lucky to be alive, but that little NPC bugger would just keep pulling this crap when he respawned. Ugh. This game really was trying to kill them. Actively trying to kill them. Maybe she could pretend she was an NPC shopkeep.