[SP-F1] Riona's Book I

Elyth flipped open that book she had found on the front desk to the first page. There it was, a startling description of the place she was now:

Nim’s Library-- A repository of books of all kinds and sizes, the librarian Nim has been in the business of collecting books from all over Aincrad. There are multiple wings of this library, each holding different types of books. To the EAST is the wing on all pure sciences investigated upon in the world of Aincrad. To the WEST lies the catalog of items and mobs in Aincrad. [However, the reader cannot find information on mobs and items not yet encountered, making this wing not all that useful for the average player. This also applies to books on locations in Aincrad.] To the SOUTH lies the repository of novels, for the sake of the fantasy-loving player. To the SOUTHWEST resides books outlining the history of each floor of Aincrad, and law books of each cleared floor’s governments and cultures. To the SOUTHEAST is a lounge and dormitory, where players can find respite.

Yup, this book is pretty darn awesome, Elyth thought. I'm gonna explore all of Aincrad with this thing. Too bad I can't observe things I haven't see yet...

She looked up from the book. She was in the South wing of the library, and a few moments of unnoticed wandering could seriously trap her in this library. That would be bad, as she didn't have a teleporting crystal with her at the moment.

"Well, as long as I keep track of where I put my feet, I should be fine," Elyth thought, and began to climb a staircase. It was one of those spiral staircases, where like the stairs up to a princess's tower or something, except it led to a loooooot of bookcases. Welp, this was Elyth's version of a princess, so that was fine, she considered.

Elyth walked up along the rickety old spiral stairwell. Then, as if from a rift in space, a book fell down from the ceiling.

W-was that a book just now? It's raining books? Haha, heaven in Aincrad, Elyth thought, and swiftly turned about, scouring her surroundings for the book she heard fall somewhere behind her. 

The book was lying on a step some feet away from where Elyth was standing to hear it fall. She swooped down the stairs, long white hair tied back into a braid today, and picked up the book, dusting it over carefully. Suddenly overwhelmed by curiosity and lethargy, Elyth sat down on the spiral stairwell. Thankfully, the book wasn't harmed, other than a scratch visible on the spine, but that couldn't have been caused by falling on carpeted ground.

"What’s this? Hmm, it has a small inscription on it… Ri- Riona? Yes, I believe it says Riona… Where’s the title?" Elyth said, scrutinizing the tiny green inscription on the woven auburn book cover before gingerly flipping the book open to the first page.

Before Elyth could read the contents of the first page, a small message screen appeared, obscuring the writing which Elyth had had only glimpsed at, but could be certain was readable.

You have found Riona’s Book. Would you like to LOOK INSIDE?

This doesn't happen with OTHER books, Elyth thought, suddenly excited. What could be all so different about this book? Then, what should I do?

"Look inside," Elyth whispered quietly, somehow unsure. The book flashed, and the message screen disappeared. Elyth felt a searing pain in her eye and blacked out, still holding the book in one hand.

Elyth shuddered. The first thing that came to her mind was that it was dark, and there was something cold on her head- forehead! Elyth's eyes opened suddenly, and a sudden light momentarily overwhelmed her senses. It was sunlight! Through a window? 

Where am I? What happened just then? I remember that book- THE BOOK OH GOSH WHAT DID IT DO?  Elyth groaned, and tried to pick herself up. Orienting her senses, she looked around. 

"Bed, I'm on a bed, and there's a blanket, a cold towel on my forehead, a table with a bowl of... water, or something, a blue bag, that's mine, isn't it, reddish wood on the walls, a stack of firewood, a door, and a window..." Elyth murmured quietly, careful to not disturb her surroundings just yet. Propping herself up on the bed with an elbow, Elyth took a look out the window. 

Several trees dotted the landscape outside, and houses filled in the blank spaces where there were no trees. From her vantage point, Elyth could tell that she was not on ground level, rather, perhaps the second or third floor of a building. 

The door flew open, drawing Elyth's attention. In came a jolly and heavy woman, wearing a bodice and a shawl, and carrying a wide smile. "Oh, you've awakened! Please wait a moment, I'll go fetch the priest. Here" -she said, pointing to the tray she was carrying, with two bowls- "is your breakfast. Don't worry, you need not pay for tonight." 

Quickly, the woman switched the tray and the bowl on the table, and headed out the door, leaving Elyth only a chance to say "Thank you" for everything that had happened. As a matter of fact, what did happen?

Elyth took a look at the food on the tray and then scarfed down the contents of the two bowls, one a sweet porridge and the other some warm lentil soup. The lentil soup tasted odd to Elyth's predominately asian-flavored taste buds (she did spend the last year living in Japan), but she nommed it anyway, because why not.

After consuming the food from the lady from earlier, Elyth placed the tray back on the table, and got up to get her bag. The bag wasn't at all different from how Elyth had seen it last, so at least that was something she didn't have to worry over. Checking the rest of her body, Elyth saw that her regular outfit was still on, and her sword- the Hell Fang from the Catfish Forge- was in the bag. After digging out her sword and equipping it, she slipped the bag onto her shoulders, and remembering what the lady from earlier had told her, sat down on the bed, responsibly picking up the compress from where it had slipped off her forehead earlier. 

Soon, the door to the room sprung open, and the lady from earlier, accompanied by a man in white and blue robes, sauntered into the room. 

"This is the adventurer I found outside, Sir Priest," the lady said to the priest. She gestured towards Elyth, and moved to take the compress and the tray, which Elyth handed to her, momentarily breaking eye-contact with the priest.

The priest nodded, and smiled broadly. "I see, Madam Junia." Then, turning to Elyth, he continued. "'tis a pleasure to meet an adventurer like yourself. Please, what is your name?"

Elyth, who had been fidgeting all the while, clapped one hand to her chest and the other to the bed, as if to stabilize herself. "My name is Elyth, Sir Priest."

A small message screen appeared as Elyth said that, and went away even though she did not swipe it away. So, this is a quest, and one with a continuous story-line. How interesting.

Your name in this quest will be Elyth.

But you know, Elyth thought to herself, tsukkomi-ing- I'm already Elyth!

"Deacon Sherrard, at your service. This madam here is Mrs. Junia. She runs this inn, the Bronze Crane. We are in Bazalt Village, a ways from the Starting City,"  the Priest said, gesturing to Mrs. Junia, who had just passed the tray to... someone in the hallway and was now standing behind Deacon Sherrad. 

She chimed in soon enough, saying, "You are free to stay the night, Elyth. Any additional nights require a payment of 10 col a night. Please forgive my inhospitality, but an innkeeper out here needs to make some money." Laughing openly, Madam Junia couldn't help but make Elyth feel at ease with these people. Deacon Sherrard nodded approvingly, and then sighed under his breath. 

"Well then. I suggest that you come to the church after you recover. I shall take my leave presently," He said, and moved towards the door.

Madam Junia joined him. "I must tend to my kitchen! The kids may as well have burned it up! Elyth, you are welcome to join us for supper later, and I must ask for your assistance in other matters as well then. Rest well!"

The two left the room, leaving Elyth to consider what she should do next. First, she considered, I should check that I have everything in my bag. She stretched, and then slipped the cerulean pouch off her back and onto the bed. The satchel was closed with a simple latch, which Elyth undid fairly quickly. She then moved to dump everything out. 

BLUE BAG Contents-- 
» Hatchet- Cuts trees for wood.
» Crafting Knife- Can craft wood. Higher quality knives can carve gemstones.
» Newb Supplies: Water x15;Bread x10
​» Encyclopedia of Places in Aincrad
» Riona’s Book

"It’s the book again! Ah, and the rest of my stuff, too. Well, I’ve recovered, so I should get moving," Elyth said to herself, and put everything back into the satchel with the exception of the Encyclopedia. Placing the blankets back on the bed in an orderly fashion, she slipped the satchel on again, brushing away still-braided white hair and walked out of the room.

Current Location-- BRONZE CRANE, SECOND FLOOR: ROOM AND BOARD

Elyth closed the door to the room she had just left, and looked up and down the corridor. There was a stairwell at either end, one leading up and the other leading down, and each door had a specific number above it. Mentally noting the numbers above the door she had just exited, 2-8, she heard the Encyclopedia vibrate, as if ringing. When she had first picked up the book and saw that first entry, there was the exact same sound, like the ringing of a bell in an antique store when someone opens the door.

"A new entry, perhaps," Elyth murmured, and flipped the book open whilst walking towards the stairs at the end of the corridor that appeared to lead down. 

The Bronze Crane-- A mid-sized tavern in the middle of Bazalt Village, where adventurers flock to for shelter and food. It is known for its great service and its matron, Mrs. Junia. The Tavern is located on the first floor, and there are two levels above, all for boarding. The Tavern itself has a great many foods and drinks at reasonable prices, and each room on the second and third floors are presumably look-a-likes.

Elyth walked down the stairs.

Current Location-- BRONZE CRANE, FIRST FLOOR: TAVERN

The Tavern was pretty impressive. Elyth saw around 10 huge rectangular wooden tables, glazed over. Next to each table was around 5 to 6 chairs, some with people in them, some without. There were a couple of lone tables, where suspicion-inducing individuals sat. There was also a counter, where Madam Junia could be seen setting out wares for sale. The most curious thing to Elyth was the giant timer screen in the room. It read:

[011:19:49]

"What is that?" Elyth pondered, and a random NPC spoke.

"That there, miss, is the countdown to dinnertime!" he said exuberantly, before turning back to his group of NPC friends.

"Oh, I see. Thank you," Elyth replied anyways, smiling at the optimism, despite the fact that he said dinner and that it was still early morning, and looked to the large double doors at the other side of the tavern hall. Presumably they were the doors out of the tavern.

"Well, Deacon Sherrard said to go to the Church… Might as well," Elyth sighed, and left the Bronze Crane.

*Ding*

Stepping out of the Tavern, Elyth's Encyclopedia sounded again. Being ever the careful girl, Elyth opened up the large yet not heavy volume and flipped to the third page. She already had two other entries, and each took up a page, regardless of the space left. Though, Elyth noticed, if an entry spilled into a second page, then that entry would by two pages long.

Bazalt Village-- A village on the First Floor of Aincrad, located near the World’s Edge. It is far from the Starting City, and any adventurer here may find enough here to sustain his or her adventurer’s spirit until the end of Aincrad’s time.

Current Location-- BAZALT VILLAGE, OUTSIDE THE BRONZE CRANE

As Elyth put the book away, she noticed yet again how it was early morning. Breathing in the fresh air, Elyth spotted a... campsite?, a house, more houses, trees, and- oo! There was a small spring!- Ah, how good it felt to be alive! She bounded towards the spring, cupping her hands and moving to drink some of the supposedly clear spring water.

As she guessed, it tasted like freshness, for lack of a better word. Taking some of her water bottles out of her bag, Elyth refilled them.

"Now then, to the church!" Elyth cries, rejuvenated by her naturalistic surroundings. I may as well call myself Cetra. Haha.

Elyth moved west, watching the compass on her map, and spotted a tree, with delicious looking fruit on it. 

"Oh my, that's tantalizing!" Elyth exclaimed, and reached up to grab one of the circular orbs. The orb looked like an apple, so she presumed it was edible. Hopefully it was.

[iD: 8350] LD: 10 + 1 = 11

Aw, Elyth couldn't reach the apple. She certainly wasn't that short... Perhaps she should've climbed up the tree.

Musing about this at the bottom of the tree, Elyth decided it was in her best interest to climb. She dropped her shoes and satchel, and quickly ascended to the top of the apple tree. She attempted to forage again.

[iD: 8351] LD: 20+1=21

"Yes!" Elyth hollered as she grabbed one of the apples hanging very close to where she was hugging the tree. She dropped the apple, and it fell, relatively unharmed, onto Elyth's satchel. Spotting another apple very close to where she had plucked to other one, Elyth made an attempt to reach that, too.

+1 Apple

[iD: 8352] LD: 18+1=19

"HUHUHUHUUHUUU," Elyth cackled. This was brilliant. All the apples... All the apples were almost hers! HAHAHHAAHAAAA. Meanwhile, she spotted an apple just above her. Elyth reached up for the red sphere, and...

+1 Apple

[iD: 8353] LD: 6+1=7

...the sphere in Elyth's hand fell to the ground, and Elyth looked down just as she was about to finally grasp the tender fruit. Quite a bummer, she thought, and looked around for another apple. This was much harder than she thought. The sun glared onto the morning dew of the leaves, and the smooth skin of the apples glared back. Elyth followed the reflection, and found another apple to her... southeast!

[iD: 8355] LD: 13+1=14

Elyth reached out to grab the apple, but that glare in her eyes was just a bit too strong. Nearly losing her grip, Elyth pulled back at the last second, and made no effort to try again without saving her eyes first. Elyth found her way to a tree branch and sat down, before using her new position to reach for the apple- this time from directly below.

[iD: 8358] LD: 18+1=19

It was all to easy to reach the apple this time, and as soon as Elyth pulled the tenderly wrapped fruit from its place on the tree branch, she released it and let it fall to the satchel below. Another apple was before her in the morning light, and it cast a small shadow, barely indistinguishable from the shadow of the leaves, onto her face. Elyth walked over, carefully tiptoeing as one would on a tightrope, and reached for the fruit from below, one hand on the tree bark for support.

+1 Apple

[iD: 8362] LD: 15+1=16

Nearly slipping, Elyth was grateful for the tree's support. Her hands were growing sweaty, and so were the soles of her feet. She dropped the apple onto the satchel, and it knocked over the careful balance of the other apples, causing some to fall to the grass beneath the satchel. Elyth didn't see that- she looked up, at the very last apple she needed to get to have exactly 5 apples. 

+1 Apple

[iD: 8367] LD: 13+1=14

The apple was located all the way up the tree, at the very zenith of the tree's natural curve downwards, where the flimsiest of branches were. Elyth sighed. But, just one more would be enough. She grasped each branch on her way up, flexing between them and digging her fingers into the bark at times to push her slim shape up to that last apple. And soon she was there, right under the apple. Right under the last apple.

[iD: 8368] LD: 18+1=19

Elyth sighed as her fingers closed around the fruit and the gradual sound of the fruit going thud as it fell on the satchel was heard. Then she made her way down the tree, and picked up all five apples before dropping them into her satchel. She checked her inventory, and then put it away again.

+1 Apple

Upon walking not five seconds from the tree, Elyth spotted Deacon Sherrard, in his blue and white robes, walking around in the light wind. 

"Deacon Sherrard!" she shouted.

The Deacon started, then relaxed as he turned to look at the speaker. "Elyth! I see you have recovered. You are not well armed for this village, so I wish for you to enter that church and help me eliminate some rats in return for some armor. What say you?"

"Well, sure. I’ll go now," Elyth agreed. After all, wasn't it her duty as an adventurer to help the NPCs in Aincrad? This was not very different.

Elyth entered the Church, upon which her Encyclopedia dinged again. Turning to the fourth page, Elyth reads:

Bazalt Church-- The Church in Bazalt is a quiet place, perfect for the weak and the holy to pray. Lately it has become infested with rats. It is a shrine to the god of grasslands, and fruits and breads may be offered here in return for a random buff from the god.

Elyth hummed, and in looking up from her book and observing her surroundings, she sees that there were four rats in the Church. There were also two potion-like things that could be seen in the room. An altar stood in the center of the room, and a bronze inscription is embedded in its marble stand.

Elyth drew her sword, the Hell Fang, and observed the first rat.

Rat1: 14/14
Rat2: 14/14
Rat3: 14/14
Rat4: 14/14
Elyth: 27/27
Rat1: 14/14
Elyth: 27/27

[iD: 8370] BD:7+2=9, but eh, SUCCESS

Elyth circled around the first rat and incited it, imagining herself gathering energy into her sword to execute a Thrusting Sword Skill. She plunged her blue glowing sword into the rat's heavy body.

-3HP to Rat1

[iD: 8371] BD:2+0=2 FAIL

The rat attempted to attack back, but wounded as it was, it could only attempt to jump at Elyth. Elyth wasn't sure if her luck would hold in this manner, but she sure hoped it would.

-0HP to Elyth

Rat1: 11/14 [Combat!]
Elyth: 27/27 [Combat!]

Warily, Elyth moved back as to allow herself more room to move. The health potion, if she needed it, was just a few steps away.

ID8375|BD3-FAIL: The rat took that chance to attack, moving up towards Elyth and clawing at her. Except, instead of clawing at Elyth, who was moving back to retreat towards the potion, it clawed at the floor.

-0HP to Elyth

ID8376|BD7+2-SUCCESS: Elyth took the chance to move, and as the rat removed its claws and snarled at Elyth, she summoned her sword skill and aimed at its mouth.

-3HP to Rat1

ID8377|BD2-FAIL: The rat had no chance to stay still after a successful attack at its mouth, and moved to the left of Elyth, who was summoning yet another sword skill. It snarled and sent its teeth towards Elyth's foot.

-0HP to Elyth

ID8378|BD6+2-SUCCESS: Panicking, because wow did she not like the sight of a rat baring its teeth at her, Elyth slid her summoned sword skill into the rat's body, which was conveniently sailing towards Elyth's foot.

-3HP to Rat1

Rat1: 5/14 [Combat!]
Elyth: 27/27 [Combat!]
The rat, trapped under Elyth's sword, was suddenly kicked away by a panicking Elyth, and slowly recovered to counterattack.

ID8379|BD8-SUCCESS: The rat moved faster that Elyth had originally thought it could, and nipped at Elyth's leg. If there weren't other rats in the room, Elyth surely would have screamed.

-1HP to Elyth

ID8380|BD9+2=11-CRIT2: Elyth, taking the chance that the rat was now somewhat attached to her leg, summoned a sword skill and pierced it's hide, ripping it open before drawing away in... terror? Though no blood appeared, Elyth could distinctly see the severed skin. This went against her pacifist tendencies, like the entire game did. Well, she had just wanted to rip this rat apart, she supposed. The rat let go of Elyth's leg and leapt back for a counterattack.

-5HP to Rat

LOOT DICE!: [iD8479]-19+1=20

+(14x5)= 70 col

+1+1= 2 mats

Rat1: 0/14 [Dead]
Rat2: 14/14 [Combat!]
Elyth: 26/27 [Combat!]

Gathering up the col and mats that had fallen to the ground, Elyth looked around furtively. 

"I wonder if the other fights will be as easy as this... I do need to earn back the col I paid for this sword," she thought, and put the mats and col into her satchel, to store there until she could find go to her store again and drop them off. That would take some time. In the meanwhile, Elyth approached the second rat, a fat, pale gray thing, and activated her sword skill, tapping the rat with her foot before stepping away quickly.

ID8382|BD1-FAIL: The rat leapt at Elyth, intent on retaliating. It clawed again at Elyth's legs, but failed as it misjudged the distance between the two combatants.

-0HP to Elyth

ID8384|BD6+2=8-SUCCESS: Elyth, on the other hand, had already prepared her sword skill and swooped in down low to cover the distance between herself and the rat, sweeping under the smaller mammal and scratching its hide. A digital wound opened in the rat's hide, and Elyth leaned heavily on her left leg to keep herself from falling face flat on the ground. Quickly she propelled herself backwards, charging her sword skill on the way, generally getting back into position.

-3HP to Rat2

Rat2: 11/14 [Combat!]

ID8488|BD2-FAIL: The rat looked to Elyth, and ran straight at her. Snarling, it bared teeth, just as the rat before it had done. Was it trying to invoke fear? Or maybe it was scared itself... And it missed, teeth scratching the hard wooden floor instead of the Elyth before it. 

-0HP to Elyth

ID8487|BD6+2=8-SUCCESS: Elyth didn't tend to believe that the mobs in SAO could feel much fear. Maybe the NPCs, yes, but rats? Not that likely, especially because they were the noobiest of noob mobs. So she decided to charge straight forward, and take the head of the rat, like Toyohisa Shimazu in that manga back in Japan. Drifters, she thought, and watched with growing determination as her sword cleaved through the rat's eyes.

-3HP to Rat2

Rat2: 8/14 [Combat!]

ID8486|BD7-SUCCESS: The rat moved faster that Elyth had originally thought it could, and nipped at Elyth's leg. If there weren't other rats in the room, Elyth surely would have screamed.

-1HP to Elyth

ID8485|BD10+2=12-CRIT2Somehow, Elyth had not been hurt all that much during this entire encounter. She must've not been putting in as much effort. She checked the state of the Church, and watched the rat even more intently as it moved to attack. She put on a defensive stance, and looked to the distance between her and the rat, relaxing so she could move to attack the instant after the rat did.

-5HP to Rat

+1HP to Elyth (Skill)

Rat2: 3/14 [Combat!]
ID8483|BD9-CRIT1: The rat moved faster that Elyth had originally thought it could, and nipped at Elyth's leg. If there weren't other rats in the room, Elyth surely would have screamed. Maddened, for it had exceeded the limit on damage Elyth could take at once, Elyth prepared her sword skill with utmost ferocity.

-2HP to Elyth

ID8485|BD9+2=11-CRIT2: Elyth, drawing back Hell Fang, gathered her sword skill, and plunged the scimitar into the rat's stomach, which was flailing in the open due to its attack from earlier. 

-5HP to Rat

LOOT DICE!: [iD8485]-19+1=20

+(14x5)= 70 col

+1+1= 2 mats

Elyth gasped for breath as the rat dissipated into sparkles. "Bye," she muttered halfheartedly. "One day I'll beat your ass sorely."

Rat2: 0/14 [Dead]
Rat3: 14/14 [Combat!]
Elyth: 24/27 [Combat!]

ID8493|BD4-FAIL: The rat moved faster that Elyth had originally thought it could, and nipped at Elyth's leg. However, it suddenly ran into a wall, as though there was a wall to run into in the first place.

-0HP to Elyth

ID8494|BD4+2=6-SUCCESS: Elyth, drawing back Hell Fang, gathered her sword skill, and plunged the scimitar into the rat's stomach, which was flailing in the open due to its attack from earlier. 

-3HP to Rat3

Rat3: 11/14 [Combat!]

ID8501|BD5-FAIL: The rat faltered in its movement, and snarled hastily. It couldn't afford to let up now, when all its comrades were nearly dead. It blindly charged at Elyth.

-0HP to Elyth

ID8500|BD4+2=6-SUCCESS: Elyth was glad that the rat missed in its attack. She didn't want to be attacked again, especially after she realized how much it hurt. Eck. 

"Shannaro!" Elyth shouted, and moved to stab at the rat, activating her sword skill.

-3HP to Rat

Rat3: 8/14 [Combat!]

ID8499|BD6-SUCCESS: The rat, startled by Elyth's attack, woke and stared at the retreating figment of her sword, and quickly leapt at her, as if to kill. It scratched venomously and furiously at Elyth's hip, and retreated just as quickly.

-1HP to Elyth

ID8498|BD9+2=11-CRIT2: Elyth, pretty darn mad, slammed the blade of her sword down exactly where she predicted the rat would flee to. The overwhelming CRIT she saw a moment later brought much satisfaction to her, and she smiled before stepping back several paces.

-5HP to Rat