[F4][SP]Givin' the Dog a Bone <<Feeding the Enemy>>

The tall grass shifted aside and parted in his wake as he crept along the dark forest floor. Sneaking silently through brush and branch around a clearing, bright with the reflection of the open sky gleaming from the surface of a large pond in the center. The water rippled as the fish nipped at insects that gracefully landed for a quick drink. Tough, he was after something much bigger than bugs. When he spotted it, he froze in his tracks and locked it within his sights. It wasn't getting away.

It sat by the water, looking from side to side, eventually dipping its head to drink. Yes. he thought, Drink. Its been a long day. Life is so carefree. Refresh yourself. rest. let your guard down. Forget yourself. Sleep. SLEEP.

The rush, as the world leaped away from him and briefly hung in the air before rushing back, was overwhelming.

"OH!" Aaphi woke up in a fit, startled from the sudden feeling of fight or flight. "Oh, holy sh-... "

It was mid day and he had slept in. Kuromado must have woken up earlier, he was nowhere to be seen. They had rented the room the night before. Groggily, Aaphi pushed himself out of bed and equipped himself for the day. 

Aaphi had no intentions of staying cooped up all day, so he booked the room for another night and wandered about town. It was cold. It was so cold. Why did they come here? Aaphi abhorred low temperature climates and thats all floor 4 was. Ice. He would rather be on the beach somewhere soaking up sun by the water. But they were there looking for an alchemist. Kuromado was thinking about taking up the art. Thats what he was off doing while Aaphi stood shivering and dreaming of warm... 

"Water." said a voice behind him. "Water is where you'll find it, young man."

Aphi turned to look for who was saying it. Their voice rang in his head as if they new what he was thinking. "Excuse me?" he asked

An older woman in her late 30's dressed in provocative gypsy attire. Flowing silks and tasseled accessories that couldn't possibly be warm on this floor. Aaphi had to remind himself that she was an NPC. Thats why she had no complaint of the cold. it didn't matter to her. Under her red, satiny head band, an eye-patch covered one orb as the other, green as moss, gazed right through the man to whom she spoke. Aaphi stood in confuddlement as she walked up to him and grabbed his hand.

"You have the hands of one who shelters creatures lower than yourself." she declared in a sultry tone. "Hands that could tame even a vicious beast." She traced the lines of his hands softly with the tips of her fingers. "You could do it. But by the water, in the green forest to the north. A place where the ice does not consume the land."

"I don't quite follow-"

Accept this quest?

Y/N

The question popped up on his menu, replacing the woman's face in front of him. "Okay, why not?" he said, clicking "Yes'. It disappeared to reveal that so had she. A second message appeared in their absence... 

<<Feeding the Enemy>>

Monsters will sometimes respond to the offering of food from a player in many potentially helpful ways. Creatures that follow and obay orders from players are known as Familiars. Be careful, though, some familiars tend to hurt the player trying to tame them! 

Aaphi scratched his head. "Well cool. i didn't know you could have pets on this game."

Before leaving town, Aaphi stopped by a local fish market. Usually heavily stocked, due to the frequent ice-fishing of the resident fishermen. There, he grabbed a few morsels with which to tempt a potential familiar. 

"Hello sir" said a swarthy, oafish man with a red mustache that took up most of his features. "What can i do for ye?" 

"I'm here for fish. Nothing fancy." Aaphi replied looking at all the different kinds. "Is there just basic fish?"

"Heres our cheapest variety." assured the man, ushering out an icy barrel. It was full of headless fish of average size.

"I'll take 5 pieces. No telling how many i actually need."

-1000 for 5 pieces of fish

Once stocked on the necessities for the quest, it was time to head that way. He had twinge of last minute worries and thought about waiting for kuromado to get back before going out on his own. 

"Nah, i'll do alright" He said, walking past the safety zone.

A Forest to the north. The words rattled in his head,  A place where ice does not consume the land. 

As instructed, he headed north, into the white fury that was the frozen wastes of floor 4. On mere good faith that an NPC was giving him viable information about a quest. It was certainly viable; But was it everything? There was more crooked English in this game than a round of pool full of sharks. One did well to be careful and know what it was they were getting into. Up until this point, he'd had a beta tester, his friend Kuro, lead him through understanding the game and how it operated. But right now, he was on his own. A little afraid. It was surprising how much Aaphi must depend on Kuromado's leadership to be this rattled and exhilarated by the notion of an independent quest. This is what he missed about video games. Independence from the world in one were the only thing that mattered was reaching for the horizon.

He just wished it was warmer. Visions of the beach once again danced in his head, hoping to cause some 'mind-over-mater' effect. The world was virtual. the cold was virtual. He just had to keep that in mind. 

"I think its working..." he said, opening and closing his fists, feeling them glow with life as the chill in his bones started to fade. As much as he wanted to believe his efforts to take control of his own sensations, it was quite possible that the air itself was rich with warmth. He looked around to see that the snowfall had disappeared and the trees suddenly resembles spring in the forest. He stopped. the change was too sudden not to notice. Like missing the transition of night and day within a blink. He stepped backward two feet. The whistling gale returned all around him. and ice covered everything. The bite of the cold struck him like a swarm of bees, stabbing into him and causing him to leap forward, where it once again beamed with warm sunlight and fresh greenery. 

Aaphi had virtual goosebumps and many reasons to have them, too. Apart from having jumped climates two or three times in an instant, the forest he had just stepped into was the one from his dream. Dimly lit forest floor, the sound of water in the distance, leaves wooshing as a cool breeze gently wafts the fresh spring air through the woods. It was like someone answered a prayer. Aaphi could see now why someone would do this. Why someone would make this place and force people to live it. It must be like answering prayers. feeling like god. Though, the only question was who Akihiko Kayaba watched and supported. Because he'd succeeded in becoming god, at least until the game is over... He will forever be etched into history as the guy who took human consciousness and the realms of perceived reality for a joy ride and gambled it on the fate of innocent lives.

Then it hit him. The animal by the lake in his dream- it could be the familiar of this quest. He crouched, low to the ground and walked softly through the brush. He stalked the sound of water like a cat, hearing it sharpen with every step. He walked until a light from a clearing pierced the shade of the trees. And there it was again. Elegant and beautiful, striped from head to tail. A fluffy-tailed Pandafox. A slender, black and white fox with a long bushy tail. He stayed just within sight of it. hidden by the edge of the forest.  It sat by the water looking around for the sources of various small noises. cautiously readying itself to be at the mercy of nature just to quench it's thirst.

Aaphi waited patiently and refused to blink.

For a moment, the beast lowered its guard. As its head slowly descended to gulp the water at it's feet, Aaphi began to move. Coming out into the clearing, Aaphi padded closer to the Pandafox. Food at the ready, he got  almost 5 feet from the creature before hearing something crunch under his shoe.The pandafox's fur-tufted ears perked up at the sound and whipped back to see Aaphi standing there. It gave a start and began bounding off for the edge of the forrest, but turned once more to observe his offering. It sniffed the air and widened it's eyes. 

"Come on you cute little bastard, you know you want the fishy~" Aaphi said waving it for him. 

Out from the shadows of the forest, fluttered a fit of fury. A winged serpent leaped from the brush and constrained Aaphi's potential familiar, biting it repeatedly before swallowing it whole.

Hide and sneak failed. mob detected Aaphi.

ID: 8537

"W-WHat the fu-" Aaphi jumped back. He found himself thoroughly creeped out by what he just witnessed. Info in the monster was alerted to Aaphi's attention.

Wyralisk: A small, aviary, serpentine wyrm. It can change color to blend with its surroundings. lvl 6 monster deals 3 damage.

"You little sunova-!" he growled. This ruined his quest. "I'm gonna get you for that!" he cursed as he charged it with his spear. He managed to lay a hit down with a quick jab.

Its reeled bakc and hissed before lunging forward and striking Aaphi in the leg.

Aaphi hit Wyralisk for -2DMG. Wyralisk 13/15

Wyralisk hit Aaphi for -3DMG. Aaphi 8/11

ID:8539

Aaphi opened wide and released a silent squeal of pain. The little snake was fluttering about like a black bird with a long tail, dodging left and right. Aaphi was determined now, to lay this one down. It was a couple levels higher than he was and had more attack power. But he wanted it dead for interfering. For the experience, if nothing else.

"You'll make pretty boots!" Aaphi said jabbing a second time, leaping for reach. 

The beast hung in mid air snapping at Aaphi and missing after being skewered.

Aaphi hit Wyralisk for -2DMG. Wyralisk: 11/15

Wyralisk misses Aaphi. Aaphi: 8/11

ID:8540

Aaphi Thought for a moment. His resolve faltered in light of the difference in level. He had determination before, but that last attack seemed to do almost nothing. These thoughts cascaded into doubt. Something he couldn't afford to have. He shook off the doom and gloom and readied himself for another go. He gripped his spear and swung it with all his might, only to whirl around and hit the earth behind him.

The wriggling wyrm tensed up and took offense to the advance. It lashed out once again jamming its painfull pronging teeth into Aaphi's back.

Aaphi missed Wyralisk. Wyralisk 11/15

Wyralisk hit Aaphi for -3DMG. Aaphi: 5/11

ID:8541

Aaphi screamed. Searing pain jolted from his head to his toe as more vital life points escaped him. His resolve to kill the creature was gone. He had only the will to survive it. To live whether he defeated it or not. It had gotten out of hand and fast. He needed a plan of action. The battle had to stop, but how? Something desperate and crazy had to happen.

His hand shook as he opened the menu. He selected the fish from before and held it in an outstreached hand. "Here snakey, snakey. H-heres some nice tasty fish."

Confusion would be putting it lightely to describe what the Wyralisk had been expressing. It backed up, anticipation another attack. It was about to lash out once more, and would have, but took notice of Aaphi's defensive stance and - more importantly,- the food in his hand. Its rapid, angry fluttering slowed to a low rhythmic pulse. the world slowed down as Aaphi stuck his hand closer and the beast was close enough to feel the beat of its wings.

It took the food, savoring the morsel as it slid down its gullet. When the bite was gone, instead of attacking, the serpent coiled around Aaphi's arm and perched on his shoulder.

Aaphi Tamed Wyralisk

ID:8542

Wyralisk familiar buff: +1Evasion

+1 skill point

zvCg25D.jpg

Aaphi stood stunned that something so off-the-fly actually worked. Partially stunned because he expected to die and didn't know what was next if he lived. It took him a moment to collect himself. Help came from a nudge of the snake-like creature now virtually attached to him. 

"OH!" he half-shouted at the fact that there was a snake - a snake that had almost ruined his quest and killed him - now perched peacefully on his shoulder. It flicked it's tongue and changed colors. Having once been a forest green with red wing and tail, it was now white with black and purple accents. "You have good tastes my friend. " He said. "Here, would you like another?"

As he opened his menu to select another piece of fish, an announcement popped up 

Quest Completed!

Aaphi: The Serpent Tamer

"Alright!" he hooted in victory. His first solo quest completed. He had a right to be utterly stoked. After feeding his new companion, he reviewed his new set of options. Among other things were information about the Wyralisk. Basic stats, current level... Skills.... Too soon for all of that. There was the added bonus he could exploit from his highly effective taming attempt. And a name fIeld...

Name: Riff

Like a guitar riff. Jesus Hudson James Christ, thats clever.

"Its official, baby. You and i are real familiar now." The cleverness continues...

If snakes could roll their eyes... I would.

Yeah, yeah you heard me.

Not him, you. The people lissstening in.

This pretty, lumbering goon is now my tamer. I guesss its alright.

He won't know it, but i'll be taking a moment of your time to share my thoughts with you.

This seemingly quiet, unlikely little oasis on <<Floor 4>> May seem like a designed and intentional environment made for a quest.

​But its existence is happenstance. A small glitch in the game's files for this area of <<Floor 4>> caused a whole in the map.

As a precaution to these events, a copy of an area of map from another floor will replace the lost section of environment files. 

"I wonder what i'll do with the new skill point..." Aaphi continued getting himself 'familiar' with everything. "I sure do hate being hit... but on the other hand, i'd like to hit a little harder..." 

Riveting.

Anyway,

As you can tell, none of thisss has dawned on the bessst and brightessst over here.

Now, there are questions one would be asssking themselves:

What happens to the quests that get completed in an area like this?

What happens to the area?

What happens to the players in that area?

All sssimply put: No one knows.

The ones that mimic quest locations are rare and buggy.

Most of the time, you can't even acccept the quest.

A rumble interrupted the time of bliss. While Aaphi celebrated, he didn't notice how cold it was getting. The frost crept into the spring forest like a burgler in the night, stealing the life and beauty from it. turning it cold and hard. Its features twisted from bright green and orange, to nothing but white and gray and the black of cold death.

the rush of the blizzard was brief. As it settled the image of the forest lay mangled by frostbite and buried in snow. Assimilated to the environment of Floor 4.

Aaphi observed these none-to-familiar surroundings. Just as they were but swallowed by ice. In a way he felt bad. There was something beautiful here, a quirk in reality, and by completing a quest he destroyed it. Now he was back to the cold. thrown out of paradise for feeding a snake. 

Riff began to loosen and shiver around Aaphi's shoulder. It would come to reason that he wouldn't do well in the cold. 

"Here. get inside." he said, pulling his shirt collar down. "This shouldn't be too weird."

The sleepy serpent did as beckoned without hesitation. Down Aaphi's shirt it went. 

This... This isn't bad, actually. This is cozy. 

I had my doubts when this baffoon took me in, but i could get used to this treatment.

Fish. Warmz. Foolish player to judge and mock. Eventual freedom from the 4th floor. Oh, how I've hated it here.

Aaphi squirmed. It was a sensation he would never have imagined having to experience. You could say he wasn't familiar with it at all.

"OoooOh... Wow... Thats new. Never going to get used to that." He said beginning his long trek back to town.

Aaphi wrung his hands, shuffling for warmth as he made it into town. " Brrrr, its a relief to be back in town. I can't wait to get in the bed at the inn and curl up into a ball. My HP is low and my body temperature is lower." 

He was comming up on the inn when he heard a familiar voice.

"You will find it by the mountain. Where the stone castle fell." rang the soft, inviting cords of the gypsy woman's voice. "You have the look of a man who demands obedience of lesser creatures."

Another familiar voice followed it and prompted Aaphi's attention further. "Oh, a familiar quest?!" laughed Kuromado.

Aaphi approached the source of the commotion and listened.

"Listen lady, you've got a good thing goin. I be you can lure all kinds of dopey nitwits into your quest with a top that low cut, but i've got no patience to drag around some stupid MoB pet." He ranted. "So you can take your quest and stick it up somebody elses-..." He looked over at Aaphi who was standing beside them at that point.

Kuro looked him up and down. "And just where have you been all day?" he asked "That thing with the famous alchemist was a bust, i have to learn from somebody else. So i've been back here at the inn waiting on you to show back up. Looked on my map and it said you weren't anywhere."

"Oh i was somewhere, alright." Aaphi assured him. "Look what i found". He then opened his shirt let Riff out. And out the serpent slithered. Up and around Aaphi's neck, resting its coils on Aphi's shoulders. 

"CHEESE AND CRACKERS!" Screamed kuromado, as he turned pale and leaned back in horror. "Is that a familiar?!"

"Yep. His name is Riff." Aphy replied with a grin "WHat do you think?"

"I think you're fu**ing nuts, man! Why the hell would you want a snake as your familiar?!"

"Its actually a funny story..."

"You're getting rid of it."

Oh no he's not.

Riff hissed and snapped at Kuromado, threateningly. 

"Oh no i'm not."