[SP-F6] Doppelganger <<The Gemini>>

With a shower of white light, Sozen stepped off the Town Port platform and looked around. According to his HUD, he was now in Amazon, the main Safe Zone settlement of the jungle floor. All around him, Sozen saw female NPCs walking around, either on their programmed paths or interacting with the various players. Some acted as shopkeepers in small wooden huts or tents, while others walked along the crumbling stone walls that separated the Zone from the vast jungle.

Once he had his bearings from the teleport, Sozen stepped off to the side and pulled up his Quest Log. He hadn't come up to the furthest floor he'd ever attempted just to check out the Safe Zone, after all. He was here for a reason. Opening up a recent notice, he checked the message again.

Quest: <<Calming the Soul>>

***THIS QUEST CANNOT BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE PREREQUISITE**
**COMPLETE THE PREREQUISITE QUEST ON FLOOR 6 TO UNLOCK**

"Well isn't that spectacularly vague", Sozen grumbled. "Well, I can't have been the only one to get this notice. Maybe if I ask around, someone will point me in the right direction." With a goal in mind, he equipped his new hammer and shield, and started walking to the main gate of Amazon. If there were going to be any quest NPCs to be triggered, or players who could advise him, then that was the place to look.

While he looked around the settlement for some time, Sozen was unable to find any indication of a 'prerequisite' of any kind. Any NPC he asked just gave stock dialogue, and the higher-level players who quested around there just ignored him. While annoyed at getting brushed off, Sozen knew that he really was weaker compared to them. Why should they take him seriously?

Eventually he made his way to a side exit of Amazon, a ways off from the main road. Maybe if he went just a little ways into the jungle, fought a Mob or two-

"Well hello there, player! What brings you to this rundown place?"

Sozen glanced up and saw a standard Villager NPC leaning against the crumbling stone gateway, looking at him with a raised eyebrow. Odd, I've never seen an NPC act so forward to a player before. And I thought the whole shtick of Amazon was that it only had female NPCs? Putting the thoughts aside, Sozen straightened his stance and spoke to the NPC. "I'm looking for a quest prerequisite, something to do with 'Calming the Soul'. Do you know anything about that?"

To his surprise, the Villager nodded, a grin spreading across his features. "Sure, I know what you're talking about, adventurer. There's a river not too far from here, that forms a lake with a small waterfall. The locals call it 'The Waterfall of the Sage'. Supposedly if one meditates there they can achieve Inner Peace or some malarkey."

Wow, this NPC is certainly snarky. But more importantly, he actually knows something about the quest! "So do you know what I'm supposed to do to get there?"

"Sure I do, but I'll tell ya, it's not going to be easy. I need to make sure that you can handle the journey. What do you say to a quick half-health duel between you and me? If I win you go and train some more, but if you win I'll tell you where to go. Sound fair?" The Villager smirked at Sozen, waiting for his answer.

Oh, I get it now! A test to see if a player is strong enough for the actual quest, a way of weeding out the weak and the strong. That's pretty clever. "Very well, Villager. I accept your terms. Let the duel begin!"

Sozen quickly pulled up the Duel menu, seeing a "Half-Health Duel Challenge" already listed on his screen. Eager to get moving with the minor quest, he tapped the 'Accept' button and looked expectantly at the NPC. "I am curious though, how is this supposed to be a test when I'm a skilled player and you're an unarmed construct?"

The smirk suddenly turned into a manic grin. "Well, why don't I show you, boy?!" As the NPC's voice suddenly took on a deeper register, his features blurred and a green Health Bar appeared over his head. The blurring quickly dissipated, and where there had been the face of a generic Villager NPC there was now a perfect copy of Sozen's own, complete with rough brown stubble and a small scar over his right eyebrow. While his clothes remained drab Villager fare, in his hands appeared a rough iron war hammer, exactly like what Sozen had started with. And over the HP bar a name shimmered into existence:

<<Gemini>>

Sozen stood there for a moment, too shocked to respond. As the now-hostile Gemini approached, he pulled out his shield and hammer, preparing to attack. "Well, I've got to admit, I wasn't expecting this. What's with the imitation?"

"Oh, just a little something to spice up the duel. Not that it really needs it, given the change to the rules. Did you see what you've agreed to, boy?" Gemini slowly stalked forward, spinning the starter hammer in his hands.

Wary of his opponent, Sozen swiped up the Duel menu and glanced down at it. Then he continued to stare, trying to comprehend what was now written.

"Total Loss Duel? You changed it to a Death Duel?! NPCs can do that?" Sozen looked up, to see that Gemini had taken advantage of his surprise to attack first, the rusty hammer heading straight for his face.

[iD: 10662]

BD: [4] (Miss)

MD: [8] (8-1=7, Hit)

Too slow in dodging back, the hammer struck Sozen's cheek and sent him spinning off to the side, his own attack not coming close to connecting. "Damn! Alright you Construct, I'll take this seriously now."

"Heh, is that supposed to scare me? All that fancy new equipment, and you can't even use it properly."

Sozen: 12/13

Gemini: 13/13

[iD: 10663]

BD: [5] (Miss)

MD: [3] (3-1=2, Miss)

Player and NPC faced off, each looking for an opening. A small swipe at Gemini's side was dodged, and the counterattack clanged off of Sozen's shield.

"As far as tests go, I wasn't expecting one this... cutthroat so soon. Even against most Mobs a player should be able to fall back and try again another day. What's with this duel trap?"

"You came here seeking The Waterfall of the Sage. If you think that this is a challenge, then you are in no way prepared to face that." Gemini chuckled. "You'd be amazed at how many weak players show up and get slaughtered by me. And all the whining! 'Oh, this isn't fair.' 'Please, have mercy Mister NPC!' 'I don't wanna die!' They just don't shut up."

Sozen: 12/13

[iD: 10666]

BD: [2] (Miss)

MD: [10] (Super Critical, +2 DMG)

"Well, I think that you'll find that GAAAH!" Sozen was sent careening back as Gemini struck him with a devastating two-handed blow, flying into the stone gateway to Amazon before a hexagonal field popped up and propelled him back into the dirt. A message popped up: *No Hostile Mob Combat in a Safe Zone!*

"Oh, I'm sorry, were you about to say something, boy?" Gemini slowly ambled towards the prone figure of Sozen, a malicious grin on his face. "I find the whiners annoying, but I do love you bravado folks. All that talk, boasting about your equipment and skills helping you beat a 'pale copy'. It's so satisfying to break that confidence. Tell me, boy,", a kick to Sozen's side rolled him onto his back. "Just who's the weak one now?"

Sozen: 9/13

[iD: 10669]

BD: [2] (Miss)

MD: [9] (Critical, +1 DMG)

Sozen lay wheezing on the ground, too stunned to respond to Gemini's taunts. The Construct's smile faded, replaced with a look of annoyance.

"Really? Is that all you've got?" The hammer came swinging down, and Sozen curled up, clutching at the orange gridwork of his stomach. "There you were getting all ready to boast, to brag that you're the original and I'm just an image. But here we are, you in the dirt and me standing over you."

Gemini crouched down and sneered at Sozen. "What does it say about you 'real people'? That a mob literally designed to be a weaker version of you is so successful at killing the supposedly superior players? Are you even trying?"

Sozen: 7/13

[iD: 10675]

BD: [6] (Hit)

MD: [3] (3-1=2, Miss)

"Sh-shu-sh-..."

"Oh? Is the widdle player trying to speak again? Come on now, say something amusing." Gemini readied to strike the prone player once more.

"Sh- SHUT UP!" Sozen leapt up with a roar, knocking away the oncoming hammer with his shield and striking Gemini in the side, before drawing back and falling to one knee and gasping for breath.

Gemini simply stood there, looking at him with a raised eyebrow and absently rubbing at his side. "Well done, player. You've managed to deal a single attack to my three. You must be so proud."

Gemini: 11/13

[iD: 10677]

BD: [7] (Hit)

MD: [2] (2-1=1, Miss)

With a bellow of rage, Sozen charged forward, knocking Gemini's lazy swing aside and bashing his face with Volthenir. "Learn your place, Construct!"

Drawing back, Sozen worked to catch his breath and calm his temper. You need to focus, Sozen. You were overconfident going into this, you need to be more careful. You've hurt him now, but at the cost of an almost-yellow HP bar. Focus, look for an opening-

"Are you quite done with your mental monolouge over there?" Gemini stood with his arms folded, looking bored. "Here, let me speed you along. 'I need to be more careful', 'keep whittling away at his health', 'I will not lose to a soulless Mob'... That about cover it?"

Gemini: 9/13

[iD: 10788]

BD: [4] (Miss)

MD: [6] (6-1=5, Miss)

Enraged by Gemini's taunting, Sozen swung wildly, barely keeping the presence of mind to keep his shield up and block Gemini's attack. "I underestimated you at first, Construct. But now I will show you my strength!"

"Well it's about time. I was falling asleep over here, just wailing on you again and again. Come on then, entertain me. Give me something I'll be satisfied to break."

Gemini: 9/13

[iD: 10789]

BD: [9] (Critical, +1 DMG)

MD: [4] (4-1=3, Miss)

"Ha!" Sozen gave a crow of triumph as his hammer struck Gemini's left arm, and sparks flew as Volthenir's Paralysis activated. "Now I have you on the ropes, Construct. This victory will be mine!"

"Indeed, and what a cunning strategy you used. Let yourself get absolutely wrecked by your weaker self, before your 'heroic' second wind." Gemini didn't even try to defend himself, just standing there with that constant smirk even as his health dipped into the yellow and his limbs stopped responding. "You and I both know that this can hardly be called a victory. For all your comebacks, you are still weak."

"Keep telling yourself that, Construct. I will prove to you that I am superior." And myself. Sozen banished the thought almost as soon as it came up. He couldn't let himself get hampered by self-doubt now.

Gemini: 6/13 (Paralysis 1)

[iD: 10791]

BD: [5] (Miss)

MD: (Paralysis) [1] (Critical Miss)

The two opponents eyed oneanother, Sozen marshaling his resolve to attack again, and Gemini lying on the ground still with that damned smirk.

"You know you can't win this, right? I am going to defeat you, and become ever stronger. You? You're just a soulless Construct that will always be weak."

"Tell me something I don't know, boy." For a brief moment Gemini scowled before resuming his arrogant expression and . "But so what if you're able to strike me down? My entire purpose is supposed to be a gatekeeper, to make sure players are strong and skilled enough for the challenges ahead. If you've had this much trouble with me, you will die if you press onward. That's not a threat, it's a fact. Really it was a mercy, killing all those weaker players. They didn't have to face the Demon."

Gemini: 6/13 (Paralysis wears off)

[iD: 10794]
BD: [1] Crit Miss

"Oh would you stop blathering, you Construct. I-" Sozen stumbled on a loose stone before he stood back up, flustered. "... as I was saying, maybe you're right that I'm not strong enough to face what comes next. But I am strong enough to defeat you."

"Uh, have you even heard anything I've said in the past ten minutes?" Gemini shot him a deadpan look. "Designed to be a weaker copy of a player? Supposed to be a stumbling block to a more challenging quest? Created to be destroyed? Any of this ringing a bell?"

"Your strength isn't in question. All that matters now is if you can use it properly."

Gemini: 6/13

[iD: 10941]

BD: [9] (Critical, +1 DMG, Paralysis 1)

"Is that so?" Sozen lunged forward and struck Gemini's shoulder, grinning as he saw sparks once more and the Mob seized up, his counterattack disrupted by the Paralysis. "Perhaps this will convince you."

"Nope. All that that means is that you got lucky, a fluke of your equipment. Relying on little status changes like that, rather than your own strength? Pah."

Gemini: 3/13 (Paralysis 1)

[iD: 10942]

BD: [1] (Critical Miss)

MD: (Paralysis) [5] (5-1=4, Miss)

Sozen moved in to strike the downed opponent, but stayed his blow. "What, you don't approve of status effects?"

In the dirt, Gemini grinned up at the player. "What, those random chance aspects of gear, built in to compensate for a player's weakness and convince them that they have 'inner strength', rather than take the time to train and not rely on the whims of fate? What makes you think I don't like them?"

Gemini: 3/13 (Paralysis wears off)

[iD: 10943]

BD: [8] (Hit)

MD: [5] (5-1=4, Miss)

Thinking over Gemini's words, he almost missed the Construct leaping up and attacking, just managing to raise up his shield and strike Gemini on the rebound. "Hmph. I... will admit that you raise an interesting point, Gemini."

"You mean that a player is actually conceding that a creation of the system might have an understanding of said system, beyond that of a mortal little player? Aw, I'm touched."

"Still, you know that this is almost over. Your health is in the red. Even without Volthenir I could strike you down now."

"Sure, now you could. But you've only reached this point because you have a shield and I don't, and because you have a better hammer. Not to mention those two health potions I know you have. This was never a fair fight. Although I did enjoy kicking you around the clearing a few minutes ago."

Gemini: 1/13

[iD: 10944]

BD: [7] (Hit)

MD: [5] (5-1=4, Miss)

LD: [12] (+65 Col)

Abandoning all pretense of caution, Gemini lifted his rusted hammer above his head and charged forward, teeth bared in a manic grin. Sozen likewise ran forward with shield raised, smashing into Gemini and knocking him flat on his back. As the Construct lay in the dirt, Sozen grasped his own weapon by the handle, held it over the still-grinning NPC-

"I dedicate this victory to the Prophet."

-and dropped it.

As the headless remains of the Construct dissipated, Sozen barely looked at it, focusing on the Loot screen that popped up. Nothing but the standard Col drop and a crafting Mat... wait, what was this?

*Ability Unlocked*

<<Concentration>>

+1 DMG to selected attack

5 Turn Cooldown Period

Hmmm, this is very useful. Wait, if beating Gemini unlocked an ability, does that mean this was-

<<The Gemini>> Quest Completed

Sozen started as a much larger menu popped up with a burst of fanfare.

Rewards

-3 Skill Points

-<<Concentration>>

<<Calming The Soul>> has been unlocked

In the middle of the quest completion announcements, Sozen saw his log update and directions appear. It looked like he know knew the path to the Waterfall.

"So... I won." Sozen briefly chuckled, then sat down, next to his dropped weapon. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes.

I think that I understand the intended lesson, Prophet. I began this day thinking that strength and strength alone was everything. And so you put a technically weaker foe in my path.

Deep breaths, in and out. Listening to the wind through the jungle trees, feeling the air cool as the sun set.

I thought that I knew the purpose of this duel when it started; to show me how much stronger I had become. But that was not Gemini's role, was it?

Sozen sighed, breathing in the evening air. Reaching out, he grasped Volthenir and pulled it closer.

For all the times he said that he was a weak design, Gemini was me. The same level, same health... My only advantage was my equipment. Without that, it could have gone either way. A snort of amusement broke Sozen's composure before he focused on his thoughts again. I should really go back and thank Oikawa for the gear again, it saved my life today.

Eyes slowly opening, Sozen got to his feet and held his hammer to the nearly-set sun.

"Thank you for the lesson, Prophet. I must continue to build on my own strength, and must never underestimate my opponents. I will leave this place for now, and accept your next challenge once I have further improved myself. Until then, farewell."