PP F2: 'Golden Honey'

(super quick post before bed)

Mari found it interesting; that Locke seemed to have - at least for the time being completely forget that Mari had slipped him the Calming Honey. He was calm, collected and palpable, he took a casual seating position amidst the pillows and rugs that littered the floor of her shop. Mari chose to sit opposite him, legs tucked up underneath her as she inched close to him. Well within arms reach. Mari allowed her hand to brush the fringe out of his eyes.

Mari was inspecting him, his eyes didn't seem all that glazed, but they were dulled. Calm. Locke mustn't sleep well for him to be tired. Mari assumed that; she had to assume that if she were to ever accidentally down the concoction it'd leave her in a tired, dizzy state.  "You poor fool." Mari whispered as she set her hand to rest in her lap. "Short term memory seems to be blurred with the use of the Calming Honey it seems." 

Mari again; pulled out one of each of the different concoctions she had. Starry Eyed Illusion, Truth Serum, Depressive Drought, and Absolut' Greed. Mari picked up the Absolut' Greed, examining the bottle. "Chances are, if I were to feed you another. It'd negate the effects of the Calming Honey. Or they'd mix together in your system. I'm cruel, but not cruel enough to give you the Depressive Drought. But here." 

Mari handed him the Absolute Greed; it was a lilac coloured mixture. "This seems interesting-" Mari gave Locke a lop sided grin as she leaned forward, placing a single finger on his nose. "I wonder if the Calming Honey would dull the effects of this; or would this simply negate the honey? Aren't experiments fun?" Mari asked Locke as she removed her finger from his nose and rose it to push back his midnight hair. 

"It's funny; the idea that this is going to come back to bite me in the ass later just makes this all the more....exhilerating." Mari said as she placed the vial into Locke's hands. "I wonder - what are your desires right now Locke? What do you yearn for?" She gave her head a slight tilt, "Revenge against me? for what I've done? Or perhaps you want to grow stronger...ahh, the fleeting possibilities... Do you want to find out?" She asked in a mock alluring tone.

Mari almost felt bad about taking advantage of Locke in his current state; it's why she didn't directly force the drink down his throat this time, rather she just placed it in his hands, and coaxed his hands up to his face. Inevitably giving him the option to do as he wished. The other potions, lay scattered around the two. 

Name: Absolut' Greed

Effect: Makes you greedy; makes your desires well known and forces you to do whatever it takes to get it. No matter the cost, it may have negative effects as users tend to ignore any repercussions this potion may cause, even if you obtain what you want you find yourself always wanting more. Lasts 20 posts/turns
Description: This lavender coloured  potion tastes like delicate roses; it is very sweet to the taste and goes down smoothly. As you drink it you feel a tad dizzy, then suddenly very focused. Ferociously so. You're on a mission! No one will get in your way! No one....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A vial slipped into his hands, and he held it delicately between his fingers. Locke eyed the tiny container and watched the lavender liquid run about as he tilted the solution back and forth. He stopped and held it still, cradling the concoction while tilting his head back to Mari. "Absolut' Greed..." he repeated slowly, curiously tracing the smooth cap with the flat of his finger.

Feeling a finger tap gently against his nose, his eyes focused on Mari for a moment, then again on the vial- all before finally settling on the woman. She seemed to be observing him- perhaps even interested in him. But it was all based off of the empirical senses, which had a tendency to deceive the mind. For one reason or another, nothing of use came when he tried to read her. Maybe she's just a very happy and upbeat individual... Whatever the case, everything was drenched in amber.

He stared past the lilac mixture and into the eyes of its creator, leaving the vial blurred as he held it steady in the foreground. "It does sound sorta interesting," he answered with a slight nod. "So the way I feel right now," Locke began, shifting his gaze to the various bottles that littered the plush floor, "is because I had 'Calming Honey'?" he asked. But his tone implied more of a casual observation than a genuine question.

She brushed back his hair with soft stroke of her finger, and he closed his eyes and enjoyed the feeling for a moment before flicking them back open as it came to pass. "Does that mean you need my help?" he inquired, twirling a lock of his raven hair. "I'm afraid science has never been my natural inclination," he confessed with a sigh, before smiling with both lips and eyes. "But I'd still like to help you. Normally I'd be able to get a better feel for things, but I can't tell if you're happy right now- so I wanna help."

Amber eyes closed once more like setting suns in their nightly slumber. He drew in a deep and long breath, hearing the drone of her words somewhere in the background. How long had it been since he'd felt this relaxed? Too long, was the only answer that came to mind. His current state- it was just like a dream. So was he sleeping, then? Locke exhaled slowly, letting his breath flow steadily through narrow lips. He returned himself to the world of light as he felt the woman raise his hands up to his lips.

With the vial at the center of his view, he glanced at Mari and held the glassware in the manner one might hold a shot glass. "Mmm... let's see what changes. It's all in the mind, anyways. It can be fixed..." he mused. He flicked the top off with a flip of his finger, then lifted it to his mouth and let the sweet and smooth elixir drain into him.

Locke swallowed the liquid, licking his lips to savor the flowery aftermath. For a moment, it seemed as if nothing had happened; suddenly, he bowed his head as the world began to spin wildly around him. He felt disoriented- as if it had been a mistake to trade the bliss he had known for the novelty of a feeling he hadn't. His arm reached out for something to steady himself with, but found nothing.

Then, a new sort of calm came over him. A colder sort, that boiled and frothed in spite of its chill. His eyes flickered as a light returned to them, but he remained stationary. With his mind united under the banner of a single sentiment, his train of thought raced forward and tore through the amber wall. With a quick snap of his hand, he hurled the empty vial straight at the woman's face.

Mari didn't lie to Locke, she simply gave him an affirmative nod: "What you are feeling is an effect of the Calming Honey."

Locke asked if Mari needed his help, Mari replied with a simple shrug of her shoulders. She didn't exactly need it. She was just curious; wanting to see its effects first hand. Locke was so...passive in his current state. It was as though he was open to any suggestion; happy to oblige. Heck, Locke even seemed to enjoy how close and falsely affectionate Mari was being. Locke didn't seem like the person to willingly enjoy such things. Mari figured he was the type to use such actions to his own advantage; much like she was doing now. Her delicate fingers weaving though his silken hair seemed to put him in a state of further ease.

It was too easy.

He willingly offered his aid; admitting he wanted to see her happy. Mari gave an exasperated 'HA' "That'd be the day." She muttered under her breath. Happiness for her was a falsehood, at most a fleeting sensation.

Just like that, Locke drank the next vial. He bowed his head and his body shivered. He reached out to steady himself, but Mari leaned back - he missed her and his hand landed between her legs on the floor, Mari didn't want to interfere with what was going on. Then; unexpectedly he picked up the empty vial and hurled it at Mari. "Oh Shi-" She held up her arm just in time to block it. It shattered, and the shards flew before disintegrating. One leaving a thin red line against her cheek. Staining it crimson.

"I suppose that answers the question on if it overrides the honey; or mixes with it." Mari muttered to herself, making a mental note of the fact. She gave a sigh as she eyed Locke. Leaning forward to get a better look at his face. His eyes were focused on her; blazing with anger, and hatred. Mari knew that look all too well. It was the look everyone gave her. Resentment. "That's the look I'm used to." Mari murmured under her breath. 

Locke rose to his feet with a hand clutching his throbbing head, slender fingers spread apart to peer out at Mari. Something about her felt even more despicable than before. He shook his head wordlessly, then raised a hand to his nape. From there, he snaked it up until his thumb rested against the indent where the base of the skull met the top of the spine, and massaged it gingerly as he allowed his eyes to rest for a brief moment.

When he opened them, he ascertained that his instinctive reflex had left nary but a single mark on her face- a thin red line which marked her cheek. "Tch..." he voiced, pressing the back of his hand against his temple. Whether or not the vial had hit its target, he'd made his feelings known to her nonetheless.

The second potion had brought single-minded clarity with it. But even still, the initial disorientation had not worn off completely. A synergistic effect? It was possible. And yet despite the intense focus that came to him with the lavender liquid, he felt a long ways off from normal.

"No more questions, Mari," he said frankly. Locke wiped away the last remnants of the liquid from his lips and shot the woman a look of exasperated intensity, as if he were staring right through her. Her faint remark caught his attention. "Oh, is that so?" he hissed, jeering at the player with icy disdain. "Let's just say that I'm not exactly shocked to hear that."

After his initial outburst, he could still feel the pull of the concoction, which goaded him onward in whichever direction it saw fit- but its hold felt a tad short of absolute. Hearing her offhand observation, he deduced it was possible that the honey had indeed dulled the second potion's effects, rather than simply being overpowered altogether. But he wasn't about to do her any favors and report that little tidbit.

"I've changed my mind about you," Locke began; the venom which underlined his words betrayed the even tone he attempted to use. "Perhaps you are broken after all." He dragged the nail of his thumb lightly across his cheek. "Nothing more than shattered glass that cuts everyone and anything that comes close. It's adorable that you think yourself human."

His eyes narrowed. "I bet you could watch him die a thousand more times, and not feel a thing. Am I wrong, Mari?" He shook his head. "And that silly little fear of yours? About having your happiness yanked away from you?"

His steps were slow and deliberate as he walked right up to her, taking her bloodstained cheek in his hand and tilting her head up to meet his frigid gaze. "You can't lose what you'll never have."

Locke stood, but Mari remained seated; feeling no need to match his stance; She simply observed with curious blue eyes; soaking in his every step, his every breath. The waver of his frame as he gently rocked to and fro - the way his hand found his head, gingerly grasping it within his hands; only to peer at Mari with a deathly, venomous gaze, one that seethed and writhed with an abhorrent look, before it disappeared behind closed lids.

So that was it then, that was his current desire; to despise Mari. It didn't as much of a shock to her; the two barely knew each other, and Mari had whisked him up and away, with the promise of amber lined dreams and false safety. Of course, in reality being in this tent with her, was probably one of the safest places in all of Aincrad.

"Disappointed you didn't hurt me more?" Mari mused, chewing her lip as she placed a single finger on the thin - red, line. Her finger traced the line, and a single droplet of blood formed on the tip of her finger, before she wiped it away to be lost amongst the intricate patterns on the ground. He told her no more questions, and for the time being - Mari was silent. Most of what she wanted answered would be displayed in his actions. He wouldn't leave her tent any time soon, it'd be too dangerous for him, and he probably knew that. That fact probably burned the seething fires of his rage.

Mari shrugged, letting her legs sprawl out in front of her as she leaned back on the palms of her hands. "Never said I wasn't. Never said I thought myself human either," She matched his hate fuelled gaze with a stoic one of her own. "I simply said its nice to feel that way sometimes, but look at you." Mari said, shifting her gaze upward. "Got a mighty barbed tone there. That's interesting." And in a sense it was, Mari was always interested in barbed words, venomous tones and honeyed falsities. Lately she found herself morbidly attracted to those qualities; it was what she found herself familiar with. Any sort of positive notions toward her simply unnerved her.

Locke's next words hit a little harder; as he asked her if she would feel anything - watching Alkor die, over and over. She had seen that. The macabre scene playing over and over in her head whenever she shut her eyes. Mari averted her gaze. "As I am now? Who knows." Her tone was quiet, Alkor, was still a fresh wound for her- but with Locke in this....in this trance, she wouldn't want to show him such weakness. As her eyes hit the floor she noticed the other bottles that skimmed the ground. 

Would it be worth it? Trying to use another on him? Or would that backfire on her? Would he attempt to do the same to her? Mari gingerly attempted to pull a vial toward her, with a single finger but it rolled away from her grasp, instead hitting Locke's foot. The exact opposite direction she would want it to go. Mari felt a warm hand pull her face upwards.

And she was forced to lock eyes with the devil himself, Locke's energy was hateful, chaotic - burning, and it was concentrated in that one single glare - and dripped from dark words, as he stated that she couldn't loose what she didn't have. Mari stayed silent, admittedly, hearing such words spoken with such hostility - made her heart ache; but that ache was dulled, quickly subsiding as Mari came to terms with that fact. "Can't destroy what's already broken. My dearest Locke." She said simply.

His goal, it seemed, was to upset her, to throw her into fits of upset - but she was already there. She had hit the bottom of that void long ago. His words now? They merely fluttered down to greet her, kiss her cheek with whispered hostilities before disappearing, nothing more than icy wisps in already cold air.

"There's nothing more you can do to me." 

Mari asked if he was disappointed, and he brushed the remark aside with a shrug of his shoulders. "The night's still young," he answered coolly.

Though the effects of the potion had been diluted somewhat, they left no room in his being for disappointment; all the mattered in any real sense was that his desires remained attainable. As long as this remained true, he would be content to carry on.

Her next words failed to elicit any response from him- her reaction to his provocation had been too calm and too level- precisely the opposite of what he was fishing for. Dead ends were of no interest to him; but this would not discourage him in the least. Like a precarious house of cards, all it took was the perfect little nudge. Suddenly, what had once been so orderly and composed would come crashing down in an abrupt and violent end. Add a little fire to the pan, and suddenly even the rubble would be left charred.

His next barb, more pointed than the last, appeared to be more successful in causing her discomfort. Even with his empathetic connections dulled, the avoidance of her eyes with his own did not go unnoticed; nor did the frailty of her voice as she responded with a passive, almost sullen answer.

A lonely vial rolled quietly across the plush floor until it came to rest against his foot. Recognizing the object, he crouched down so as to bring himself back to her level. With eyes that seared, he stared into her with a crooked smile on his face. He reached out and swept aside pink and wild locks with a false tenderness, while subtly palming the vial with his opposite hand.

"Ah," he voiced, dropping his hand so that it rested on her cheek once again. He ran a slender finger across the thin line as he spoke. "That's right, Mari; nothing can be destroyed, only changed," he conceded. Locke pulled his hand away and rubbed the bloodied finger against his thumb, as if fiddling with a tiny, grisly violin. "But even shattered glass can still be crushed and ground."

With a deft and familiar motion, he flipped the top off of the vial and let it drain past open lips. The whispers of Absolut' Greed still lingered in his ears, and he found no difficultly in resisting the mixture's allure. In fact, the old urge hadn't even crossed his mind.

Locke leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers; he let the sweet ambrosia flow out of him and into her as his hand kept steady her head. When all had been said and done, he pulled away and held a finger to her lips before moving his hand to her chin. With a gentle nudge, he lifted it, so that her head tilted back just enough. He coaxed her eyes to close, making the cerulean pools disappear from view.

"Tell me, what was it again?" he asked, drawing back his hand. "Sun Dried Delusion? Party Night Allusion?" He shook his head and tittered bitterly; the name itself escaped him, but it didn't matter.

He moved his lips to her ear and whispered softly. "You're even less than shattered glass, Mari..."

His attitude; his actions, his words...they all pointed to him having the one desire. To see her crumble and fall. Did her actions really evoke that much hatred from him? Her calm demeanour just seemed to put Locke in a more detestable state, his actions plummeting down into a dark tempest, and Mari - was at the centre. She had to admit that it was interesting to see someone so incredibly focused. Even if that focus was on her downfall.

Locke had picked up a vial, but Mari foolishly paid the action little mind. She had no interest in her potions, her senses were absorbed in the potent, passionate, unyielding entity that was Locke. Amber eyes burning, dark hair brushing ever so gently across his eyes as he stared at her - with the most devious of smiles. Mari didn't react when he reached out, brushing her own hair away from her pale face. His words were synonymous with his plans. To break Mari further, crush her till she was naught but a glittering dust. Mari gave Locke a cautious grin; "Sounds pretty useful to me," She joked. "Ever get glass dust in yer eye? Hurts." 

Locke downed the vial, and that action confused Mari - had he wanted to feel something different? No. As she felt his lips press hard against hers, prying her mouth open with parted, feverish lips. As the liquid slipped into her mouth Mari couldn't help but swallow, there was no way to describe the taste, other than 'fresh' as though each gulp bought a feeling of revitalisation to her. Mari's hand unwittingly reached up to clasp the cloth on his arm as she gave a small murmur. Being all too welcoming of the galaxian liquid. She tilted her head upward, almost lapping at the the liquid. She felt calm, refreshed - and didn't object when Locke guided her head up, sweeping a hand over her eyes.

Mari closed her eyes, and an odd - familiar scent rose up from the darkness. Charcoal? Mari furrowed her brow; as she slowly opened her eyes. Pools of blue dotted with stars; Mari's eyes reflecting a dazzling milky-way. Lockes next words were lost; as she stared at him. Dark hair, the scent of burnt charcoal and wood, amber eyes. 

"Alkor?"

Her voice was breathless, as she carefully reached out to him, trembling hands clasping his cheeks. Tears dotted the corner of her eyes - as she repeated it again, "A-Alkor? How?" Mari swore she saw him die, yet here he was, in the flesh. He leant forward to whisper words in her ear; but again, their meaning escaped her as Mari fell forward. Arms dropping down to wrap around his shoulders, her head nuzzling into the crook of his neck. "Thom...." her voice was filled with a warmth that had long since been forgotten; trembling on the verge of tears the woman felt undeniably confused, but irrevocably relieved. "Thank goodness..." She whispered, as a hand wove its way into the back of Locke's head, lovingly caressing his hair between her fingers.

A maniacal twinkle glinted in his eye as he realized the nature of the potion's effect. Triumph swirled madly about in his amber eyes with the intensity and orderly chaos of a perfect storm. Knowing the time for celebration had not yet arrived, he closed his eyes for a moment and let the feelings subside.

Locke wrapped his arms around her- letting his hands find the small of her back. One hand snaked slowly upward to the back of her head. Both hands worked soothingly to put her at ease, showing a deftness that suggested years of experience. He rubbed her back in slow, delicate patterns, while his fingers ran through her hair with tender, loving care. He pulled her closer, into a warmer embrace.

His cheek nuzzled against hers as he lifted his head to speak in soft, hushed tones. "Shhh..." he whispered, patting her gently. He made a mockery of love, and she was none the wiser.

"No more questions, Mari," he chided teasingly. "All that matters is that I'm here, so you can lean on me, Mari." He turned and kissed her cheek, and felt the affectionate gesture nearly sizzle away in the face of skin that burned. "I'm here, and that's something that will never change again..."

The potion had ensnared him in its clutches; it made him yearn to see her scattered into a fiery wind. But for the time being, he felt content to settle for a slow, inevitable burn.

Black and white had bled together, becoming an utter grey. Now, more than ever, nothing was sacred.

Deliberately, he rose from the ground, clasping her much smaller hand in his own. He pulled Mari to her feet and brushed the bridge of his finger under each of her glistening eyes- her stormy seas of cerulean. "Let's go for a walk. What do you say?"

Mari was lost. Feeling lightweight - the burdens she had carried for so long slowly melting away, one by one - all with the mere knowledge that Alkor, Thom..was here. A part of Mari's mind screamed at her - told her that something wasn't right - that Alkor was dead. He died right in front of her. Horrendously crushed by the Hydra's molten, clawed feet. That this man, this scheming, seething man was not the one that she had lost. But that voice was drowned out by the sounds of crashing waves; leaving her mind in a dazed state.

Mari felt Locke wrap his arms around her, one around the mid of her back and the other against her head. Locke may not realize it; but he held her just as Alkor did; which only further placed Mari in a state of mild confusion. His embrace tightened and Mari gave a small murmur, confused at how this could possibly occur. "Thom..." Mari muttered; her small arms returning the embrace. "Did you see it?" She asked, "The outside world? How is she?" Mari asked.

But she was answered with a chuckle, as she was told not to ask any more questions, and that she could lean on him. Those words sent a small red flag up in her mind; Alkor never wanted Mari to fully lean on him - he had always pushed for her to move forward, regardless of if he was there or not. Mari opened her mouth in protest; "That's not what yo-" She fell silent as she felt his lips press against her cheek. A silken sign that oozed warmth and affection, as he promised her he would never leave.

Mari pulled away for a moment to stare into his blazing amber eyes; something about this felt so...wrong, so odd but she - in her dazed state couldn't put her finger on it. Her brows furrowed as her fingers danced delicately over his cheeks. "Alkor...." Mari muttered; "I wish I could believe those words, but this just feels like a dream." She admitted, shaking her head as she blinked back tears, pressing her forehead into the nape of his neck again.

"I've done horrible things, how do you always stay?" Mari said, choking back tears. "Why?"  

'Alkor' answered her by pulling her to her feet; wiping away her tears, offering for the two to go on a walk. "Here? But...its pitch black outside, and there are mobs..." Mari glanced toward the exit to her safe haven, her Alchemy tent. Why would Alkor want to go for a walk out here?

Delicate fingers grazed against his cheeks, and he smiled- even though she couldn't see it. One could never get too into character with this sort of thing. "Shhh..." he whispered, letting every stroke of his hands ease her doubts. Slender fingers wove expertly through rosy locks, and he leaned down to answer her. "If it's a dream, then let's keep dreaming."

She questioned him once again- but this time, it happened to be the sort which he could answer.

"Because I'm stubborn," said Locke. Between this line and the other, his remarks were playing with a dangerous sort of fire. It wasn't exactly necessary for him to pepper their exchange with references and hints, but he couldn't imagine things going any other way.

He could feel her on the verge of tears, and moved to soothe her with his touch. A gentle patted sympathetically against the back of her slender frame. "Because I know you're still human," he said in a low, hushed tone. "Because I love you, and I don't regret that," he crooned. Locke shook his head and rocked her gently as he cradled her tenderly in his arms. "Never..."

As they stood, Mari met his suggestion with an understandable degree of skepticism, and he noticed a look of apprehension in her eyes as they returned to him. In truth, he hadn't bothered to glance outside beforehand; it'd simply slipped his mind, cast aside in favor of more satisfying and pressing matters.

Locke touched a hand to her cheek and turned her face back to meet his. "Mari..." he spoke, as he let the amber of his eyes melt inside her pools of cerulean. He swept his hand over her eyes, closing them as they passed by. His lips met Mari's for the third time as he leaned forward, letting them melt into hers in a more physical way than their eyes ever could.

He pulled away slowly and looked back to her with a smile. "As long as we avoid the mobs, that almost sounds romantic." He gestured to the exit with an open palm. "So? Let's go for a walk."

'Alkor' managed to ease the unrest Mari felt bubbling inside of her. The graceful, gentle touch of his warm - soft hand to her cheek. A part of Mari questioned why it wasn't calloused, and hard like she remembered. But those worries fizzled away, as though water came in on a wave lapping at them. Eroding the negativity till it was naught but grains of sand drifting aimlessly within her mind. His hand guided her eyes to close; and Mari - all too easily allowed him to do so. She trusted Alkor and believed that Alkor would do her no harm.

He whispered her name with such compassion that Mari; in her stupefied state would never be able to differentiate it from the real thing. It numbed the pressing voice in the back of her mind that urged her that this man, was not Alkor. She felt his lips press to hers again; and Mari melted into his form. Her torso pressed tightly against his as her hands found their way around his waist. Adreneline pumped through her veins, causing her heart to thump fast against her chest. Mari felt his tongue run across her bottom lip and the two shared a feverish moment of heated passion and intimacy before 'Alkor' slowly pulled away.

Mari's eyes fluttered open; and her lips remained parted - as she steadied her breathing. Her eyes; like a galaxy, held a myriad of stars, dotted over pools of midnight blue, she was lost. Fully under the spell of her own concoction, and as 'Alkor' gestured to the exit she didn't think twice. As he offered for the two to go on a walk amidst the darkness of the 10th Floor. Mari gave a small nod, pressing forward. Taking hold of 'Alkor's' open hand as she passed him, pulling him out into the expanse of the 10th floor.

"Here, darkness eclipses light." Mari mused; as her eyes surveyed the area; it was all clear. Mari knew that Alkor didn't have night vision, and was concerned for his safety. "You need to be careful here." She whispered as she tightly squeezed his hand. As though she was afraid that he would disappear if some part of her was not touching him.

Oh, how the tables have turned. Even under the spell of Absolut' Greed, he could still feel the conceit of triumph tugging at the corner of his lip; they threatened to spin his tender loving smile into the cold sneer it longed to become. Adrenaline coursed through his veins as they spun themselves further and further into this web of lies. But only two things ever happened into the web of a spider. The first is obvious. And the second? He stared with false eyes into the eyes of Mari; in her current state, this girl was nothing more than starry eyed prey. Under normal circumstances, he would've been content to carry on with their game of cat and mouse. It was likely that in time, he could find in her a valuable ally. But that contentment had been drowned in a stream of lavender. 

To draw his sword would be pointless- he doubted his unpracticed abilities could manage anything more than a nick off of her health. And even if he could manage it, such an end would be cheap and unfulfilling resolution. Blades and metal were such impersonal things; they were more reminiscent of industry and heavy labor than something as intimate an act as murder. Even then, they could only cut as deep as the flesh would allow. But minds and emotions were not nearly as unyielding...

So as she took his hand in her own, he let the vainglory subside. Now was not the time to flaunt his hand.

They departed from the haven that was Mari's tent, and his feet met cold, unyielding ground. It was a far fry from the comforting plush he had known just a moment ago. He craned his neck around and quickly discovered that she hadn't been exaggerating about the darkness. "Will you be my eyes and ears, Mari?" he asked, turning his head. Her eyes flickered in a soft green light that allowed him to catch a glimpse of her face amidst the midnight.

She murmured to him a warning, wearing a look of quiet concern. It was almost regrettable for him to lead her astray in this way- but alas, his heartstrings were a few plucks short of being tugged. Locke squeezed back in response, and felt the warmth in her hand flow into him as his hand clenched tighter around hers. For a moment, he swore he could even feel the beating of her heart. "I'll try my best," he said simply. "I'm not feeling quite 'all there' yet, if that makes sense." 

His tone softened as he nudged her forward, leading them toward God-knows-where. With a glance over his shoulder, he imparted upon her an implicit curiosity. "Just so you know, I have to say I'm a little curious about what's going through that head of yours."

He asked if she would be his eyes and ears. Mari turned to him, flashing him a warm and devious smile. "I could - but what would get in return? You of all people should know how I work Alkor."  She allowed her hand to travel up his arm, delicate fingers breezing over his shoulder till they touched his neck lightly. "Could I convince you to stay the night?" She asked in a beguiling tone. Her alluring smile faded as he admitted he wasn't quite all there yet. Her hand dropped back into his hand, as worry breezed across his features. Was he okay? Could he focus? "Alkor...."  Mari spoke in a distressed tone, almost pleading with him as she repeated, using his real name. "Thom...are you sure you're ok? Something about you seems....off..."

As she was nudged forward, Mari began walking - leading the two for a walk around the large starting town, Yomi. 'Alkor' had asked her what she was thinking - and Mari struggled to find an answer; with the potion taking its hold it was difficult to find clarity, in an illusion struck mind.

She took a deep breath, turning away from him. Her starlit gaze focused on the cold, dark ground of the cavernous floor. Then, her eyes closed - and her grip on his hand loosened. "I guess..." She began, her voice low. "A part of me knows that you aren't Alkor. I watched Alkor die, I watched as the Hydra...b-bore his claws into his chest." Mari's voice broke as her hand fully slipped away from his. "I watched, as he died - a look of absolute surprise etched into his features. Heh..." Mari opened her eyes - her voice barely above a whisper. "He didn't even see me there." 

Mari was quiet for some time after that; her morose words hung in the cold air around the two. Her mind was dulled with the effects of the potion; and it made it difficult to focus. To determine fact from fiction. "Yet..." Her fingers sprawled out - searching for his - and as they found them the entwined themselves within his warm grip. "You're here." She gave a shake of her head, as she pressed onward- continuing to walk again. "Perhaps I've just gone insane - killed one too many people, and this is the way - of mentally dealing with such sordid acts of depravity...tell me..."

Mari turned her head toward him; "What happens if I fall so far, I turn into some wanton murderer? With little thought or regard to life, as it is?" 

In truth, she was half right. Mari was correct to believe that something was off, but doubly wrong in his being Alkor or Thom- of the two, he was neither. Locke was Locke; Locke was Alton.

And yet, something was off- incredibly so. The potion's effect on him had not been limited to a simple uptick in concentration; his vital essence had been thrown completely out of kilter. What'd previously been whispered sentiments had been magnified until they embodied the howl of an entire universe that demanded from him but a single thing. He was to crush this woman, and grind her into dust. Scatter her ashes in the wind- so to speak.

But why do I want this? To obey even a single command betrayed who he was; he was supposed to be Locke, the unchained spirit. Locke, the untethered soul! Yet here he was, subjecting himself to the whims of an unseen force. Acting as a servant to the frivolous desires which had consumed him from within.

The muddy ethicality of his slow-burning vengeance was little more than an afterthought in his strained considerations. An eye for eye, that would leave them even, or at least approximately so. He somehow doubted that the universe was one to nickel and dime this sort of thing.

An aching throb wracked his head, and he gingerly raised an arm up to clutch it. Unspoken protests were cast aside as his mind again narrowed toward a singular goal. He brushed stray locks from his eyes- as if it were what he'd been intending to do this whole time- and turned to her with a look of warmth in his eyes. "It's nothing to worry about," he mumbled. "I'm fine- it'll come to pass, I'm sure. All that matters is that I'm here."

As they strolled on under the inky cloak of midnight, she confided in him, and he listened intently as she voiced her doubts and worries. He knew that this was nothing more than tactical business- that he listened because it revealed more and more chinks in her rosy armor, while also allowing him to further play to his acquired role. But even in his current state, her distress became increasingly- even painfully- obvious to him.

Locke's fingers clasped around Mari's as the woman returned his grip to his own, allowing the warmth of their hands to mingle together. From her words, he gathered that she still had enough wits to recall her lover's untimely demise- it'd be an uphill battle to sell her an alternate truth. It would be better to let her mind fill in the details on their own.

His gaze remained steadied on the darkness that lay ahead as he answered her. "I can't explain why I'm here," he said simply. "My guess on that particular curiousity is as good as yours." He turned to her, and gave her delicate hand a momentary squeeze. "But even if what you're saying were true- and I doubt it is- then is it selfish for me to hope that this moment continues for just a while longer?"

As her train of thought came to a gentle stop, he raised a finger to her lips and gave a shake of his head. "Too much thinking, Mari," he chided, his voice full of warmth. "After all you've been through, don't you think you'd know by now if you could fall that far?" He pulled her closer, so that the heat of his body might offer what little solace it could for her battered spirit.

A glint shimmered in his eye, as he spoke again; words tinged with the fragrance of lilacs. "How could you possibly fall any further from here?"

Absolute Greed Effect: 3 posts remaining
Starry Eyed Illusion Effect: 5 posts remaining

Mari flashed 'Alkor' another concerning look - as he gingerly rubbed the back of his head. He tried to reassure her with his words, but Mari couldn't help but worry. The circumstances were just too outrageous. Was the old man in the sky wrong? Were his warnings of a true death nothing more than fraudulent statements? If so why? Why say such a thing? What sort of social experiment was he conducting?

Alkor squeezed her hand, as their conversation drifted back to the subject of his death. So he didn't remember dying? His words seemed to make that much clear. He said he was selfish, that he wanted this moment to last longer - Alkor generally said such things when the two were alone together. Offering each other a sort of peace and reprise that they would not find elsewhere.

He answered her barrage of  questions, in the typical way that Alkor always had - he told her that she was thinking too much -worrying too much. With a simple press of a finger to her lips he was able to silence those worries and concerns. The questions buzzing in her head fell to naught but mere whispers in the depths of her subconscious. 

'Alkor' wrapped his hands around her waist; pressing her in close to his form. A small blush rose to Mari's cheeks, the flood of warmth from his person overwhelming her senses, sending her mind into a fuzzy mess of lovelorn desire and confusion. Mari pressed her head into his chest, giving a happy sigh as she returned the embrace. "You're right..." She murmured breezily. "I can't fall any further." She looked up at him, removing a hand from the mid of his back so she could rest it on his cheek. "I love you." She said in all earnestly, her voice oozing with warmth and compassion, and naught but the at utmost care for 'Alkor' she pressed her lips lightly to his, "I can't fall any further, not with you here." She said before pressing her lips to his again.

All that'd been raised would eventually fall.

Some might call it entropy, but he called it fate; this was the destiny to which all universal bodies would succumb. To hurl an object toward the ground was an extraneous use of effort, and demonstrated a failure to accept or even recognize this simple law of nature. A careful nudge would suffice- and gravity would take care of the rest.

And so he kissed her. Pressed his lips back against her own, and allowed their fervor to raise her closer to the light that must have eluded her for so long. He let his arms wrap tighter around her waist, and leaned closer as the two exchanged a heated moment.

He pulled away with eyes that smoldered, and guided her head to his chest as his arms kept her locked in a tender embrace. "I love you too," he murmured. Locke guided hand to the back of her head and let his fingers soothe her further with slow, gentle strokes that wove through her silky hair.

Locke scoured the darkness with watchful eyes, and managed to spot dim lights in the distance. They seemed to be diffused, rather than bare flames- so perhaps they were lanterns of some sort. In any case, it was the first clear look he'd gotten so far, with Mari temporarily distracted.

"I hate pointing out the obvious, but it's a little dark here," he remarked. He angled his head toward her own, but stole a quick glance with his eyes as he did so. "I can't see you very clearly here- and that's kind of a waste," he added, allowing a joviality of lightness to bleed into his words. "How about we move a little closer to those lights over there?"

Absolut' Greed: 2 posts remaining

Starry Eyed Illusion 4 posts remaining 

This kiss was more frivolous and heated than their previous exchanges, his amorous hold on her...the feverish way his lips parted hers, what was once a romantic exchange was quickly turning into something more fevered and sensual. Mari gasped, before giving a slight moan, moving deeper into their entangled kiss - pressing her body closer against his. 

Mari, the once strong and resilient woman was completely entranced by Alkor - his scent, his kind words - and the feeling of his strong grip around her lithe frame. Her mind, fogged by the Starry Eyed Illusion failed to see how Locke disappeared and Alkor took his place. Locke's precise, cruel calculated movements just drove her deeper into the web that he had strung. He pulled away from their kiss and Mari protested - purely because she wanted to continue their entangled passionate actions.

Still; the woman allowed him to press her head into his chest, whispering words that returned her affections, his eyes blazing with an intense heat that Mari mistook for tenderness and compassion, with each gentle stroke of his hand through her hair Mari felt as though any worries or concerns melted away, each downward stroke forcing them off of her form and into the dark abyss of the floor.

Mari lifted her head as he spoke; talking about lights; Mari lifted her head off of his chest. Looking in the direction he was talking about. The two had almost circled the entirety of the town. It was a tad too far for Mari to see, even with her Night Vision. "mmm, that's either the entrance to the town; the Dragon that guards the entrance to the town - or my shop." She turned her gaze up to him, giving him a coy grin as she traced a small circle on his chest. "My, Alkor - that's a tad bold of you. Wanting to see more of me mmm~?" Mari stepped away, allowing her hands to fall to his - but first they grazed down the entire front of his body. "Let's go then." 

She began to lead him toward the lights, and after a few short minutes she realized that it was, indeed the entrance to the town. "ah." She commented; turning to face 'Alkor'  "We're both Pkers so we can't exactly..." She paused, only now noticing that his cursor was green, a slight frown played across her lips as she stopped near the entrance of the town. Her concern lit up by the lanterns that marked the entrance - in which a large dragon stood in. Players could easily walk underneath the tall dragon's legs, unless they were a PKer; in which case Mari assumed the dragon would interfere. "Alkor..." She said, gripping his arm tightly, turning him to face her. "Why is your cursor green? Did you take the Redemption quest?" 

Just when he thought he'd had an understanding of the potion's influence, Mari challenged his preconceived notions with a simple observation. He'd failed to account for the possibity that this Alkor fellow had been an orange player- that was a simple oversight, and a procedural mistake if anything. But what both bothered and interested him wasn't his little slip up, but rather that his cursor had failed to reflect the illusion of his Alkor-ness, for lack of a better word. I guess this must what they call a convenient inconvenience.

He lifted his head in a way that put his cursor back in view. It was green- but of course it was- he hadn't killed anyone in this game, so this was no surprise. In fact, this detail in particular was one that he'd been counting on right from the start- the fact that only one of them would be able to slink into town, while the other would stand and stare as the other slipped away. Another helpless observer in the cosmic cycle of fate.

But he had to work fast. He allowed his eyes to drift lazily back to hers, as if to ensure that the discrepancy was not such a big deal. He touched a hand to her cheek, and murky words fell from his lips without hesitation or shame. "There's a phrase out there- 'If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras,'" he assured, tracing his finger lightly across her pale skin. "So while you're free to paint your own stories of what happened during my absence- let Occam's razor be your guide."

His fingers danced their way up to her pink locks and swept them aside once again. It gave him a clearer look of the woman, now that her face was colored by the warmer light of the lanterns, rather than that ethereal green which emanated from her eyes. It'd given her the appearance of a magical jack o' lantern, only pinker.

"There we are," he said. He moved his hand back to frame her face. "It's almost criminal for you to hide it in the darkness of this floor. You know that, don't you?" he teased. Locke leaned down and brushed his lips against her forehead. "Your face, I mean."

Real magic was in its patter, with a hint of misdirection. If a magician could disappear an elephant in front of a crowd of thousands, he was confident he could do the same to his crystal. This was, after all, a crowd of one.

Mari's concern quickly flickered and faded as she gave him a small smile. "You should have told me. I would have taken the Redemption quest right after you; we could...." Mari trailed off; as her shimmering blue eyes; tainted by the speckled stars of the potion - darted away. She bit her lower lip; as a red blush heated her cheeks. Mari wasn't sure why, but she felt like she wanted, almost needed to be as close to Alkor as possible. Emotionally, and physically. Mari knew that Alkor wasn't exactly the intimate type - but since his return the two shared many a fevered kiss.

Mari wasn't able to finish her sentence; she gave a jump as he traced her cheek with slender fingers; mentioning Occam's razor; a term she was not familiar with. His soft touches made Mari want to step closer; and closer - she moved, a hand curled its way around his upper arm. He complimented her appearance, and Mari retorted with one of her own. "Almost as cruel as having me believe you were dead; only to return again. Alkor." She chided.

Mari bit her lip again, lowering her gaze momentarialy, she took a deep breath. No matter how she looked at it, no matter what she thought she saw. Alkor was here, Alkor was with her and she wasn't going to let him go this time. "Alkor I..." The awkard tone of her voice was different than the confident and sultry woman that 'Alkor' knew her to be. She fidgeted, mumbling something. Cleared her throat then spoke again. "Alkor - I want to be with you, physically." She stressed the word, hoping he caught her intention; if that wasn't enough she closed the gap between them. Once more to press her lips hard against his.

Even as his mind lay doused in that lavender liquid, her telltale signs of unease had failed to escape him- but that was not to say that they'd been one the more subtle variety. He was confident that short of a robot or a Helen Keller-esque figure, nobody on Earth could've missed the unease that this woman projected. Bitten lip? Downward glance? Check, check. Deep breath and a fumbling words? Both present, and both obvious.

Combined with her suddenly sheepish demeanor and the blatant tiptoeing taking place around the matter, he could guess that either she hadn't known this Alkor for very long, or that relationship had simply progressed at a slower pace. He almost laughed at her thinly veiled enticement; all that was missing was a couple of nudges from her elbow and a raise of her eyebrows. And perhaps a few winks and a whisper of, "Get it? Huh? Do you get it??"

Needless to say, he caught her drift. But before he could react, Mari beat him to the punch. She drew him into yet another passionate kiss- either their fourth or fifth of the night, but who was counting? But this one was different. It was hungrier, and revealed the extent of a desperation he'd only begun to recognize.

What would be his next move? Where to go from here- it was a question that'd come up more times than he'd care to admit. In his mind, he'd painted a picture of his endgame, but rest was little more than a sketch left unfinished.

Locke scrunched his eyes shut and returned her fervor with his own. They were so close that he could feel the beating of her heart pounding against his chest. The soft thumps came in quick succession, and their tempo felt like drips of water that were on the verge of becoming a steady stream. His hand held her head gently in place, while the other rubbed delicately against the curve of her spine.

He allowed himself to linger before pulling away. Across his face, he wore a devilish grin so perfect that the devil might very well have painted it there himself. If desire was to be her high, then he certainly wouldn't object. From here, there was only one way left to go. No matter how many twists and turns were taken- life would lead her only to the inevitable. This is your fate, Mari.

Of course, he could leave right now if he wanted. The damage had been done, and all that was left was to run out an unseen clock. One didn't need to watch a time bomb to know that it would eventually go off. But he had to be there; he had to see it for himself- the moment in which that happiness would become no better than agony.

His fingers danced across her arms, then brushed lightly across her body as he trailed it back down to meet her hand. "I must've been gone longer than I thought," said Locke. Their fingers interlocked, and he held her hand softly in his own while the other slipped down to her waist. "Like a soldier coming home from his tour."

Absolut' Greed: 0/10 turns remaining