[OP-F1] To fight, or not to fight? (COMPLETE)

People kept walking past Gray. They held swords, bows, maces, some wore armour, some didn't. He was constantly on edge. He saw these people, their smiling faces, and couldn't help but wonder, how? How, in a time like this, could you just pick up weapons and fight with them? How, were none of them scared? This wasn't a game anymore. This was life or death. And yet here they were, smiling and laughing with each other.

Gray looked ahead of him. The gate. Out there, in the grass were enemies. All he had to do was go and slay one. Just one had to die, and then he'd prove to himself. Prove that he could do it again, and again. Gray exhaled. He couldn't do it. He couldn't walk out there and fight like they wanted him to! Video games were all he had, he felt powerful when playing them, he saved princesses when playing them. When playing video games, he wasn't the scared little kid who got his ass kicked by everyone else. But he still couldn't do it, he was still a little kid.

He turned around and walked away from the large gate, thinking to himself. Don't walk away now! You were so close! Come on, you can do it, just one, and then you can become the hero! But he couldn't. It wasn't his job to be the hero. He just didn't have the makings of one. He stopped, looking over his shoulder at the gate, tossing over the idea of fighting, again and again.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was relaxing under a tree in town. The sun was at it's highest, and I hated to shield my eyes. The goggles I had didn't help, and ended up being more like night vision during the day, bright and confusing. Pushing them up to my head, I looked to see many people going back and forth, smiling and laughing. But then I noticed one player who wasn't.

He was dead still, looking at the gate that lead out of town. His face gave the impression that he was contemplating leaving. He just stood there, then turned, evidently giving in to something. I got up and approached.

"Fear get the best of you?" I asked, hoping I had been right in my guess.

"S-So what if I am?" The other boy had approached Sam about his indecision. Of course he would, seeing someone like Sam standing there, eventually someone would approach him. He wasn't sure how he felt; it was something between anger and fear. "Look, I'm just not sure whether I can beat these guys." He crossed his arms, his brow furrowing. He didn't need this, not when he was having such trouble on deciding whether or not he was actually going to fight these things!

As I was approaching the front gates I noticed two people standing in front of it. I run over to them in such a hurry thinking of this as an opportunity. As I approach the two other players I nearly fall. "Hey guys! How's it going? Good? That's good. Look I've been looking for a few good hunting partners and when I saw you two here while I was leaving I feel this was a time to ask you two to join me", I say in one breath. "Name's Daeron. Heard of me? Well I'm going to be leveling up enough to become the strongest player in SAO", I said with absurd confidence. So as I swipe my hand over to activate the GUI menu, I tap the two names with my index finger and send them a party invite. "So? What do ya say? Rather be safe out there and make it alive or die and never see life again right", I ask with reason.

The party invite came up. This guy wasn't kidding. To be able to come over to two random people and entrust your life with them... Was he brave or just plain stupid? Almost instinctively, Sam's hand hovered over the decline button, but what if this was his chance? There'd be three of them, so that chance of getting hurt was significantly lowered. Plus, Sam would be ranged, which would lower the chances even more. He kept thinking about it more and more, before sighing and looking at the boy. "Look, if the other guy's in, then I'm in. But this is a one time thing, alright?" He crossed his arms, waiting for an answer from the other boy.

I looked at the message in front of me. An invite? I had never been close enough to people for this to occur. Still, this situation played along with why I headed back to the first floor.

"OK, I could use the experience." I said as I confirmed.

I turned to the first guy I walked up to. He had said he would go with if I went along. But I didn't want to have someone who could fall apart in battle. We already had one that could happen to.

"You sure you want to do this? If you come with, you have to be serious about fighting. I can't afford to have someone I can't rely on, should something happen."

He sighed. He would have to fight eventually, right? His hand rose up, and hit the accept button. He was ready to fight. He could do this. He wouldn't be a scared little kid anymore. "Don't worry. Your ass is on the line as much as mine. You can trust me." He clenched his fist and took a deep breath. He was ready. Glancing over at the two names in the party, he saw who his new companions were; Daeron and Sterling. He smiled to himself, he had finally made friends! Sounding slightly more upbeat, he spoke again, "Alright then, I'm Monochromatic, but you can shorten it to Mono or something. Nice to meet you both!"

The two seemed pretty confident.

"Well, there is a group of wolves that guard the entrance to a cave in the north. There's probably some good loot in there." I suggested."As a group, we could make it through pretty safely."

I straightened my collar and waited for their input. They were lower levels, but it was nothing they couldn't handle. We should be back to the town by nightfall.

Unless..

I shook my head and focused on the players ahead of me.

I heard about that place, but haven't gotten to go there yet. I'm down for it if Mono is over here. I check my bag to see if I have proper equipment. Food, HUD Compass, confidence. All was there, I was ready to head out with the party members. I didn't have any worries about losing one of us seeing how there is 3 of us and it's just some wolves. Not the first time I've had to deal with them.

Sam nodded to them. "Yeah, sure, whatever's fine with you is fine with me, I guess." He was scared. If there was loot, the enemies would be strong. But, he had to go through with it now! He decided to look over his own inventory - He had some bread, his short sword, and a whoooole lot of throwing weapons. Namely, a few shurikens and kunais. He planned to use the throwing weapons mainly - he didn't want to have to get to close to the enemies, but if push came to shove, he would use the short sword. "Alright, let's go then, I guess."

You guys coming? I say as I'm already quite far ahead of them. If you guys lag behind any longer I'm going to get the loot before all of you guys! My mind was set, I'm going to get the loot and split it with the crew. I want to prove I won't be so useless after all. I want to prove I have something to strive for and that I have potential so I could possibly get recognized by a guild one day and become a part of the Front Lines.

We left the town and started up the road. After a good ways, the sun was starting to dip in the sky. A gentle breeze shook the long grass on either side of the path as small rock spires appeared on the horizon.

"Up there is the cave. We'll see resistance from here on." I turned to my companions. They nodded and brought their gear out. I followed suit, getting my crossbow ready.

Keep calm Sterling. You can't have an attack during these fights. I clenched my chest, willing my heart to slow. It had begun to hurt shortly upon seeing the jagged stone ahead.

"Keep an eye out." I called as we moved forward into the forest.

Sam was sweating bullets. He was actually doing it! In one hand he held his shrotsword, ready to defend himself, the other hand on a pouch containing his throwing weapons. He thought over a few scenarios; being attacked from the front, back, and so forth. He took account of their weapons, thinking of a formation. "Alright, Daeron, you go in the front, then Sterling, then me. That way if they get the drop on us, Sterling won't be left open, plus, I can use my shurikens from back here." Sam smiled to himself, he liked to have a plan. Plans were good, reliable. He gripped his short sword tightly, preparing for an encounter.

Sounds good. Continuing to walk towards the cave, I clench my twin daggers in a way I feel comfortable fighting. This better not end up with an attack, because if you guys attack us, then you won't get to see daylight ever again. I turn over to Sterling and ask him, "Say, how tough is this resistance you were talking about? Not like it matters since we have a small little pack here."

Daeron asked me how tough the creatures would be.

"Well, there are on the outer skirts of the forest, and more powerful near the cave. They are pretty easy by themselves, and are susceptible to Stuns, but they spawn in increasingly larger groups as we get closer. The max we should see is four at any time."

As I finished, leaves shuttered ahead of our position, and two hungry looking dogs emerged from the dark. Their matted fur was a dull grey, and sharp yellow fangs stuck out at random sections of their jaws.

Like these. I thought as the beasts charged, barking in low, short bursts.

Alright so since they are easier in singles or lower numbers anyways it's probably best that if we all take one wolf each when we can so we split them up. When there are four we need one person to take a second, i'll be willing to take it on if I need to. I mean I only have 9 HP but it's better than the 5 I started out with. I say thinking of multiple strategies to use against the wolves when we need to prepare for a fight. By the way I understand, the wolves won't be too tough as a pack of 3 ourselves.

Daeron didn't seem to notice the two wolves sprinting towards the group.

"Move!"

I took two side steps to the right, and fired off a bolt from my bow. A white streak flew through the air and collided with one dog, sending it tumbling in the grass. It wasn't dead, since I didn't have time to use a skill. But the second continued to run, and lept forward, bearing it's teeth at Mono. The crossbow had a long reload time, so I could only watch as to what would happen.

Sam's eyes widened, the second wolf coming at him. He pulled his short sword in front of him, but it didn't stop the wolf. He started breathing quickly, the wolf pinning him to the ground, it's teeth around the sword. Sam wasn't strong enough to push it off and screamed to the group. "S-Somebody help! Oh God, please help me" He continued to struggle beneath the wolf, waiting for help.

I hadn't noticed anything. I was in a form of a daze thinking of strategies until I heard, "Move" from behind me. I looked up ahead and saw the first wolf running at me lose its attack. When I heard Mono yell to stop the other one, I quickly made an attempt to run to the wolf going at Mono. Furasshu suteppu I say.

*Furasshu suteppu is Japanese for Flash Step. Daeron hasn't had a lot of practice with it so his chances of successfully carrying it out are slim.

1-6 Failed The Furasshu suteppu

7-8 Manages to carry out the Furasshu suteppu but fails to hit the wolf

9-10 Manages to carry out the Furasshu suteppu and successfully hits the wolf attack using my dagger.