[SP-F2] Part-time Princess, Part-time Player, Part-time Performer <<Earning a Living>> [Completed]

LD : 17

She shook her head. Just looking at the piles of paper made her head dizzy. What's up with the NPCs in Urbus? Were they used to throw away their daily grocery lists here? There were lot of papers in front of her. She just have to pick two Sonata's Music Sheets out of.. countless papers. She closed her eyes and blindly picked one. When she opened her eyes she couldn't believe she just picked one music sheet. How lucky. But knowing Elise's luck the last paper's gonna end up below some monstrous mob which isn't going to be as easy as four spiders she faced.

Elise encouraged herself to look for the missing piece of the puzzle. One more and then she doesn't have to stay in this paper paradise no more.

Acquired Sonata's Music Sheet

Elise : 6/11 (+1) (out of combat)

<<Earning a Living>>

Retrieve 5 Sonata's Music Sheets (4/5)

Collect a String from Stone Spider (1/1)

Play two of Sonata's Music Sheets successfully (0/2)

LD : 18 (Loot)

She was half-right. There was a Giant Stone Spider in the area. And she's right about it protecting a Music Sheet as well. 'This is going to be a tough fight..' she hid behind a rock, preparing to attack when the giant mob expect it the least. She was going to run and go berserk when her toes made a crumpling sound against a paper she didn't notice. She grabbed it and was going to throw it away when she noticed the paper had music notes and Sonata's mark. It seems Sonata had lost more than five papers here. She sat and relaxed her back against the rock. "Great. With this I don't have to fight the monstrous spider. And it saved me the chores of turning every single paper here" She stayed that way for a minute before she jolted. "This isn't done yet! Sonata's waiting for me!" she put the sheet in her inventory and departed for Urbus.

Acquired Sonata's Music Sheet

<<Earning a Living>>

Retrieve 5 Sonata's Music Sheets (5/5)

Collect a String from Stone Spiders (1/1)

Play two of Sonata's Music Sheets successfully (0/2)

CD : 2

Loud knocking came from the front door. Elise didn't wait for an answer before going in. Sonata was there with a violin on her lap. "Hello, girl. Have you brought what I asked?" Elise opened her Inventory and gave her the sheets and a string. "Good! Now, here. Read these," she gave Elise two of the sheets and laid the rest on a table "and play them. Check them out." she waited while replacing a broken string with the one Elise brought.

Elise analyzed them sheets by sheets "These music sheets.. Études?" Elise inquired. Sonata nodded in satisfaction. "Composed personally by me. Consider yourself lucky you have a chance to see, even play some of them". "Probably not just me who shall have the chances. You dropped more than five sheets when you was being pursued by the mobs, didn't you?" Elise smiled mischievously at her mentor. The NPC's cheeks were flustered. "Sh- Shut up! I was panicked, okay? And more importantly!" she raised her voice to change the topic "As you said, these are études, compositions designed to increase one's musical capabilities.These music sheets are essential for a Performer to develop their skills. I designed them to be difficult to play, but once you mastered at least two of them it shouldn't be hard for you to play any pieces you want. So," she plopped herself back in her rocking chair "entertain me".

Elise picked Sonata's violin. Her repair was done already? That was quick. The violin was made from sturdy wood and carefully kept in best condition (except one of the strings). On its side Elise noticed a word carved elegantly in italics. "Stradivarius.." she eyed the girl in a rocking chair "You have a taste in naming your instrument". "Don't say anything else. Play" Sonata said with her eyes closed. Seconds ago she was embarrassed and now she got a solemn face to rate Elise's performance. She's a strict and good mentor, Elise felt sure that she could do well with her future profession being taught by such NPC. Elise put her chin on Stradivarius' chin rest. Then she played one music sheet. As expected of one of Sonata's creations. A soft but sad music was heard from the violin. She could feel it in just by playing the first bar... "Stop! Stop!" Sonata clapped impatiently. "It's not like that. Start again!"

(CD must be >6 for a success)

#12696 (forgot to use this one in my looting posts)

CD : 1

Elise opened her eyes in disbelief. "What?" Sonata cocked her head in distaste as if she had just heard a screeching sound of nails against a blackboard. "You heard me. Start over" she ordered. Was her performance really that bad? She took a deep breath. Perhaps she messed a note? Her eyes followed every single note. Her trained heart beat like a metronome adjusting to the music. She had to ensure this time she plays a perfect piece that no one can complain about it. Sonata impatiently snapped her fingers to halt Elise's performance. "Are you blind? Read the music sheets correctly!" Elise's jaw dropped "What do you mean? I've done as exactly as what was written in this music sheet" "That means as I said. Start over" she repeated harshly.

"Are you serious?" Elise moaned. "Do I look like I'm joking?" Sonata shot back. Okay, maybe too strict. 

CD : 6

"What's wrong with my earlier performances?" Elise protested. Sonata thought for awhile "The starting notes weren't linked to each other as they were supposed to, you have to start softly but firmly. Your performances were like a rope with loose ends" Sonata closed her eyes again closing Elise's window for more complaints. A rope with loose ends.. Elise's spirit sunk. In real life every time she played she always reaped praises but in front of the maestro she's nothing. "Girl, there's no need to be disheartened. Even I need a full day to master five études. Symphony, my brother you met, took a day just to learn one. Our parents even wondered if he wasn't my actual brother because his skills are far below mine" They both giggled. "Okay, I will try again" she mustn't let down the person who cheered her up."That's the spirit of a Performer!" Sonata crossed her fingers. "Best of luck. Now, try again" she said a bit kindlier. Elise played the music again. She started with a firm stroke with the bow. She played three bars before Sonata's abrupt comment, "Are you sure you've read it correctly?" 

CD : 6

"It was supposed to be played in mezzo-forte, not mezzo-piano! Moderately soft, not moderately loud as you played" Sonata waved her hand.

Not mp but mf? Elise couldn't possibly make a mistake like that. She checked the music sheet. There it was. The mf was written in uneven italic fonts it looks like a mp in the first glance. "You didn't write it clearly" Elise accused. "You didn't read it clearly" Sonata justified herself. This NPC is very similar to her. Sometimes she likes Sonata, sometimes she's annoyed with her doppelgänger. She knew Sonata is stubborn, if not more stubborn than her, and decided to play again. She was anxious that she would make another mistake. And true, she did. A glance at Sonata's expression told her what the NPC thought of the piece. "I'll redo it!" she said before Sonata could criticize her.

CD : 12

Before she played it again, she asked Sonata "How.. can I play the music sheet correctly? I'm not the writer. I can't measure the softness, power, tiny intervals, and every little detail, if you want me to do so. Playing a flawless piece of music is impossible for me" Sonata clamped her hands together. She didn't open her eyes to look at her student. She just said vaguely, "Read the notes on the paper. Don't just see, read them and let the melodies echo in your head. Think about how it should be played to bring its full potential, the feelings. Not only to make you or the audience feel alive, but make the instrument" she gestured at Stradivarius "alive as well. You know what I mean?"

Elise almost replied with another 'how' question when she got a flashback of Symphony's last words. 'Don't follow your eyes, miss. I thought you like music?' She closed her eyes and felt the three bars she had played. When she played it it sounded smooth and flexible but when she let it echoed in her mind- it was rigid and rough. The foundation was too frail for the melodies to stood on. She hummed them fast and quietly. With eyes closed Elise's world turned dark. Here she could feel every note playing more beautifully than she had ever played. She opened her eyes again. Without saying anything she played the music sheet from the start to the end. The bow traveled effortlessly near the bridge. Her fingers measured the coordination and pressure of every touch. When she finished she looked at Sonata with satisfied expression. The NPC smiled. "A perfect piece. Well done, girl! You mastered it faster than Symphony, and even faster than me. It's not your first time playing a violin, is it?" Elise wiped a drop of sweat with her back of the hand. "No. Actually I have learnt playing violin for ten years. But it seem what I've got here worth even more. I feel comfortable with you as my teacher" she smiled back. "You flatter me. But don't let me down with the next sheet. Once you played it right you're good to go as a Performer" she took the music sheet Elise had played and gave another sheet. It looks more difficult than the first.

<<Earning a Living>>

Retrieve 5 Sonata's Music Sheets (5/5)

Collect a String from Stone Spiders (1/1)

Played two of Sonata's Music Sheets successfully (1/2)

CD : 12

Elise's eyes scanned through the notes. It was considerably more difficult. This one's going to cost her a few tries. If only she could do another miracle like earlier. "It wasn't luck." Sonata laid her cheek on her fist. Can she read mind or something? "It was you who made it happen. Luck can only get you so far, the rest are skills and hardwork. With you now, this piece shall be a piece of cake" she closed her eyes, acting as a cue for Elise to start playing. Elise fixed her chin rest position and tightened the strings.

She didn't play right away. She hummed the notes two times to get the gist. Then she confidently closed her eyes. With thismshe should be able to get the feel more accurately. Melodies flowed from the instrument, creating a jovial tune that was powerful and cheerful resonated in her heart. She kept it a bit jumpy in some parts and smoothen it in the others. Finally she ended her performance with a quick, strong stroke pitching a high note to the ceilings. Sonata didn't react. Would she instruct her to start again? Unexpectedly she applauded. "What a perfect song! Even I was impressed by how quickly and well you played the song. It's one of my most difficult études you see. But I was correct about how can you play anything once you get the hang of the basics right?" They high-fived. 

"Congratulations! You've become a decent Performer now. What's more, this shop shall be yours for the taking. I felt confident leaving this place in the right hands. Take care of this shop and Stradivarius for me, 'kay?" she was starting to shimmer. "Come to think of it, I don't know your name yet. What kind of teacher doesn't know their student's name?" she became more and more unsolid. "It's Ad.. No, Elise" she firmly replied. "Elise.. As in Für Elise?" Elise nodded. "You too, have a taste in naming yourself" Elise was sure she had heard a giggle right before Sonata dissolved. She was left dumbfounded for awhile. She is a Performer now. Sonata's gone, so she's on her own. She looked at the room. It was smooth and kept clean, so there wasn't much to do. Except... "If I want to open a shop, I better put on counters and the other things. Sonata didn't seem to have them.." she stared at the air where the NPC disappeared "Geez, just how reclusive can you be?" 

<<Earning a Living>> Quest Complete