SP-F3 Feeding The Enemy (Quest-Sterling)

It was a little over two months into the death game when I came to the 3rd floor. I had heard talk of a gypsy wandering around the floor was giving out information. I figured I should see what all the fuss was about.

It could be helpful info on the higher floors was my motivation as the light from the teleport faded away.

Floor 3 was very pretty. Lush forests grew all around the small town I appeared in. The sky gave off a brilliant golden glow in the early morning sunlight, and the quiet bubbling of a creek had a relaxing atmosphere. Everyone reflected this feeling, always smiling and leisurely strolling around without a care in the world.

I walked around the main courtyard, looking for an info broker who could point me towards the gypsy. Eventually, I found a young kid in a long brown cloak who was standing near a small fountain. Red face paint gave the kid whisker like lines on their cheeks. They gave me the impression of a rat, but I walked over regardless.

"Hey there! Need information? I can help, for the right price."

This kid is not going to be cheap I guessed as I answered.

"Yes, I'm looking for the . You know anything?"

The kid stood up straight.Oh yes! I know lot's! What would you like to know?

I purchased a map that lead to a small shack out in the woods. She was staying there for the next two days before moving on. I bought a new knife, and started along the trail towards the gypsy.

Even though I'm trapped here, this place is beautiful.

The sun was dipping in the sky, giving off an orange light that shaded everything. As I gazed at the scenery, a thin smoke stack rose a little ways ahead.

"There! I was starting to think that rat gave me bad info. I spent ten Col. on this map!" My pace quickened, and within minutes, the building came into view.

It was small. The whole building was covered in a thick ivy, and spiderwebs of various sizes clung in corners. The roof gently sloped up, ending in a faded gold beam running along the top. A carving of a dragon was at either ends.

This place could use some love. I thought as I walked up to the door and knocked once.

"Hello?"

A low, gritty, female voice replied back."Come in!"

Cautiously, I opened the door. I was smacked by the smell of some exotic spices, making me want to sneeze. Rabbit skinns were nailed to a beam, and a low fire was crackling in a small fireplace. It felt like being in an elderly relative's house, if they lived in the mountains.

An old woman rounded the corner. She had long white hair the looked like it hadn't been tended to in years. Her long purple gown trailed behind her, and to my surprise, a black cat followed her as she sat down at a large table next to the fire.

"Won't you take a seat?" She gestured to the empty chair across from her.

Well it was a long walk... I reasoned as I gladly sat down, and brought my attention to the woman before me.

"I suspect you have come here about the information I have been spreading around. Is this the case?" She asked, though I‘m sure she already knew my answer.

"Yes ma'am. I‘m hoping it is helpful knowledge of higher floors."

She shook her head."Oh no, nothing so grand." As she said this, her cat jumped up onto the table. I tensed up on reflex. She noticed my disposition.

"Oh don't be frightened. Mia here is part of the reason for people coming." She light stroked the feline's shiny fur.

Really?

"Why‘s that?"

"I found Mia out in the woods on my travels. She didn't immediately attack me, so I gave her some food, and she followed me. Even saved my life once!" She smiled as she remembered.

Taming monsters? This was something I had not heard of. This woman had my attention now.

She explained that I needed to feed the beast some food, and that it had to be no bigger than a lion. That made sense I guess, but there were so many creatures I could try to find. Wolves, wildcats, and large lizards were all around. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to leave it to chance, and I walked into the in the north.

I'll stumble across something, and I'll pick that kind of creature for my partner. I reasoned as I shielded my eyes from the light reflecting off the chrome trees.

The was an area of Floor 3 that was very strange to say the least. All the trees had chrome bark, and their leaves shone a brilliant gold that reflected the sunlight. Even the grass was dusted grey, looking like all the color was drained out of them.It was a very small area, but it was my most favorite place in this world.

"I wonder if I can get a house out here..." I spoke to nobody in particular.

I wandered up to a flat plateau with no trees. I could see a good ways all around, and the sun's rays created a sea of golden beauty down below. As I gazed around in awe, a movement to my left brought me back.

It was a . There was a normal version in the woods near the gypsy, but this breed was only in this grove. They got no bigger than a large dog, and acted similar to one as well. Slim, showing no muscles at all, it had a tail as long as the rest of it's body, and there was no distinction between the feet and the claws. The head was long, reminding me of the aliens that fought predators, but was smooth and had no teeth. Fangs were formed when they fought.

Guess it will be you then.

Normally, they would sneak up and attack from behind, but this one was in the open, just watching me. This was my chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I slowly approached the waist tall beast, making no sudden movements. It's eyes were...no, they weren't normal eyes. A pair of three red lines running horizontally arcoss it's face followed my movement. The player's guide said that it saw in infrared heat. I must have looked like a blob of bright light to him.

If I show him I'm not a threat, he'll be easier to get close.

Opening my menu, I removed my weapons, and knelt down, holding a small piece of rabbit meat in my left hand.

"Here boy." I called as loudly as I dared.

The creature took some cautious steps forward, inching his way towards me. The thin razor claws on his feet scraped the ground, and were so sharp that blades of grass were cut were they met.

I could have him mowing lawns. I thought as he came ever closer.

He was within reach now. His smooth silver skin shone in the orange light like a flame. He leaned forward, smelling the food in front of him.

A dark shape crashed into the changeling, and both were sent a ways off. It whined as the dark creature attacked him, clawing at his sides and neck.

I stood stunned. A normal breed of changeling had come out of nowhere. I remember hearing that they were programmed to attack the rare sliver kind, even before going after players. Had it been a different beast, I would have been the target.

I have to help him! I may never find another one so easily.

No use trying to be cautious. I scanned my menu and equiped my most important weapon. The fragile cutlass . It's low durability meant I only had one shot to kill the other beast, or risk losing it forever. I charged, and swung the two hooked weapon at the dark attacking beast.

One chance

(1-3) The beast dodges

(4-6) He hits, but poorly

(7-9) A good hit, solid damage

(10) A critical blow, killing it

My blade connected with the beast's neck, and it was sent into one of the glittering trees. It was scattering glass before it hit the ground. I checked the stats on my blade. They were dangerously low.

I've got to be more careful with this thing.

I stuffed the brilliant weapon back into storage, and turned my attention to the silver changeling. He was on the ground panting, and long red digital gashes littered his once pure hide. I ran over and brought out a small medicine bottle.

"Don't you die on me." I told him as I dumped the contents of the bottle on the wounds. Where the liquid hit, blue light bathed the area, until the silver body was unblemished once more.

"There."

The silver animal got up and looked at it's side curiously, as if wondering where the red marks went. I stood and brought out the meat again.But as he looked up, he bit my arm with uniform chrome teeth, and lept away into the brush, disappearing into the shining forest.

"SON OF A...!"

I gripped my arm as the changeling ran into the woods. The only thing to set the beast apart from other ones like it was a small icon over it's head that meant some of the medicine would kick in later should it find itself in trouble again. But that wasn't on my mind.

After all I did! It still treated me like a threat!

I kicked the ground like a child. No fair. I turned and left back down the hill towards the gypsy, the nearest shelter.

There was a light drizzle of rain now. Not that it bothered me, I rather enjoyed it. The water coming down might have been fake, but it still felt refreshing. I still had a ways before making it backto the regular woods, and then the hut, so I pulled my collar up and continued north.

Why had it run away, even when I spent time to heal it? Normally, that medicine is to keep one creature alive and get blocks in or strikes to level up skills, it wasn't very cheap. I mumbled as I hopped over a small boulder...and landed right into a group of three plant creatures. Called , they instantly attacked, thier long vine necks lurching forward with a flower of teeth ready to take chunks out of me.

"Just my luck..."

(1-5) He rolls away, but gets chomped pretty badly

(6-10) Escapes the assault

I tumbled away, hearing the snapping of jaws behind me. That was close. Kneeling in the grass, my chances were not the best. I brought my crossbow to my side and fired, hoping to make a shot before they regrouped. The monster nearest me must have missed my head by inches.

Oh, please... I pleaded to the system as my finger pulled the trigger, sending the bolt flying.

(1-5) Misses

(6-10) Nails it

The shot missed, but that was to be expected. I tried to fight without a skill, so the chances of me actually making a shot like that were slim to none. Bringing my knife up, I faced the beasts.

I hated plant creatures. They always looked demented and had vines and..uuggh. Gave me the creeps. The hideous things had recovered from the initial attack and snarled at me. I scowled and lunged at the nearest creature, aiming for the weak point at the back of the head.

(Evens) Miss the weak point, but still do damage

(Odds) Direct hit, killing it

It was a bad attack, I was surprised it even hit at all, but the beast went down and exploded into fragments of light at my feet. I turned to the remaining plant creatures.

"Who's next?"

One flower burst forward, and I rushed to it as well. My blade up, I yelled as I slammed into it and tumbled in the grass. I knew I hit it, but the question was, how badly was it injured? I looked at the bar of health, and half the bar was empty.

Nice!

I celebrated too soon. The other filthy monster collided with me, and I found myself on my back, looking at the rows of sharp teeth as they tried to tear my face off. They were inches away and my arms wouldn't hold them back much longer.

A silver flash exploded before my eyes, and the plant beast on me vaporized in a bright light. I lay there, stunned, as I heard a battle play around me. I was very close to an attack. I breathed deeply, trying to regain my composure.

I can't fall to pieces now. I'll most surely die.

But then I realized it was quiet. Very quiet. I got to my knees slowly, pushing aside my throbbing heart, and saw a slender shape panting heavily at the fight it had just endured. A small health cross faded above it's head, giving a green healing light over the sleek chrome figure.

"You..."

It was the Changeling I had met on the fields in the . Some how, he had found me, and made the choice to help me as I was attacked. But why this was, I had no idea. As I continued to look upon the animal before me, a light, calm voice said, "You alright?"

I looked around me, but nobody was there. My gaze eventually landed on the only other thing near, the that sat in front of me.

No...

"Oh, yes." The voice in my head continued. Since I am close to being you companion, I can talk to you. But you'll have to complete the process before we continue."

The Changeling stood and looked at me, as if expecting something.

Oh, the food. I deducted.

I reached back into the menus and brought out the meat from before. After a few careful sniffs, he took it from my hands, and a new symbol entered my menu. A yellow claw mark.

"Hey, why did you run off before?'

"I didn't think you would need me, but seeing as you were so easily pinned down, I see you have a ways to go."

Oh great, he took pity on me.