[PP:F2] The Apprentice (Hikoru)

Azazel waited in her favorite place on floor two for Hikoru to show up. It’d been about a week since she quit the guild and gone off on her own, however when it came to this particular subject she found that she could not leave well enough alone. She sat by the window in the tavern watching the passer-byers waiting for the boy to show. Azazel had been impressed by him the day she had taken him out on the field, but she found him lacking in skills he ought to have. It’s what she had come here to talk to him about.

“Can I get two more of these,†Anna pointed to her empty mugs of beer, “And a menu?â€

She said deciding she was feeling a little puckish and felt that Hikoru might want lunch as well.  Anna opened her menu and looked at the time. There were still a few minutes before he was to arrive, so Anna just kicked back and continued to people watch as she waited for the boy to show up. She was fairly certain he would show. 

Hikoru quickly sprinted down the street, feet making the loudest noises they could on the cobble beneath him. He was late, and he knew if he didn't hurry he would be scolded by her, and that wasn't something he would like to get from her. He quickly ran past a few windows and saw a cafe inside. He stopped and made sure it was the right one, and quickly jogged inside. He made his way to the counter and asked if they knew where Azazel sat, and they pointed her out and he cam and sat byt he resting Azazel. The smell of Beer was in the air, and he looked on the table and saw the mug

"You've been drinking...." He said, and he took the glass and cleaned it out with a napkin, and set it down on the table, open end down. He sighed and unequipped his weapon, knowing he wouldn't need it. He sat back and slowly let his back relax on the booth.

Hikoru was late. However, Anna didn’t mind because she’d already managed to down the other two drinks that were brought for her and she was feeling rather fine at the moment. The boy made his entrance and came over to the table and sat down.

"You've been drinking...." he said.

His tone was rather disapproving but Zaz only smiled as the boy cleaned her cups and set them upside down. “But of course,†she responded. It was fact: Azazel drank, a lot. She never bothered to explain why it was she did what she did, but she had her reasons, very valid ones in fact. The boy took off his knife and sat back in the booth quietly.

“Don’t look so forlorn, I promise I have good reason to have called you here today. Are you hungry?†She said pushing the menu his way. 

Hikoru watched her, and the smell of beer came to his nose. He kept a straight face, but he wanted to hurl. He had bad memories from the real world about alcohol, and it always made him sick. but Zaz was his only friend, so he put his own personal feelings aside and nodded

"Yeah, of course I am." He said as he opened the menu. There was a lot of food he could have, but he chose something simple and ordered from the waitress. After he did, he faced Azazel once more and knit his fingers together.

"So whats this you want to talk about?" He asked. He was actually quite curious about it, since he hadn't seen his friend in a week or so, and she suddenly sent him a PM out of the blue, saying she wanted to talk. He was excited, but at the same time, nervous as well. She could talk about anything, good or bad, and doubt flooded his mind as he made his way over here.

Azazel could see the boy was obviously uncomfortable with her habits. She liked Hikoru and didn’t want him to be uncomfortable around her so she had the beers cleared, ordered something to eat and some iced green tea. Hikoru gave his order as well and then turned back to Azazel asking her why she’d called him out to see her.  That’s why she liked the boy, he was all business.

“It’s like this…†she said leaning on the table and looking the boy in the eyes. “As you know I’ve left Absolute Pin, I’m no longer a member; however, before I decided to leave, I had thought to make you my protégé in the guild. That would mean that I help you level and build your skills and help guide you into possible future leadership within the guild. Now, since I’m not a member anymore, I cannot grant you possible leadership, but I can still guide you and your skills. You told me you started with Calrex, but what surprises me is that after all that time on the field you’ve only managed to make it so far. He’s climbing levels and your progress seems stunted. I want to fix that. I’ve seen you in battle, your instincts are fantastic, but your skills are [censored]. I think you could be great with the proper training.â€

She sat back quietly as he took in her words. It was harsh but necessary. She saw potential greatness in the boy and wanted to do what she could to keep him alive and well in this death game. 

Hikoru sat back and was in shock. He wasn't expecting this out of all things. He sat back and sighed. He knew she was right, his skills were crap, but she also said his instincts were good, which was hard to believe knowing him. He looked into Azazel's eyes, making sure that she wasn't lying or joking. When he saw that there wasn't even a hint of anything, he smiled. He was very happy with the offer, and nodded.

"It would be an honor to do so. But I have a question...." He said quietly. He looked down "Why did you leave the Guild? We all loved having you...." He said. He didn't want to question her motives, but at the same time, he wanted to know why.

Azazel smiled as the boy seemed to like her offer, but there was a catch, he wanted to know why she’d left Absolute Pin. It was a fair question and because it was him, and only him, she would answer.

“The truth of the matter is I don’t trust Ariel. Everyone says she’s good, but I don’t believe it. I don’t like how she set up the guild, and I don’t like that she used physical pieces to remind us we’re all objects in her game. And, I just can’t trust anyone who doesn’t drink. It’s a quote actually… it goes, ‘never trust a man who doesn’t drink because he’s probably the self-righteous sort who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of those who don’t drink are good people, but in the name of goodness they cause the most damage in the world. They’re the first to judge and meddle in things…’ or something to that effect.†It’d been awhile since she’d read James Crumley.

“I love everyone else, but I don’t know that woman enough to trust her, so I had to leave. I couldn’t drive a wedge between those I love and her, not without proof of whatever it is she might be up to. It would only create problems, and I have to look out for myself. It’s just how it has to be. It’s why I want to train you, to make sure you have the skills to take care of you too.†

Hikoru was shocked at the words, but kept a straight face. He never thought of it like that, but Ariel was so nice to him when he started out, that he couldn't see her as something like that. But he kept his feeling aside and nodded.

"I can see your point here...." He said with a monotone voice "And you are entitled to your own decision. I cant say that I agree with everything you say, but I will say that I will train with you if you so wish. I work hard, and you should be warned that I may overwork myself, so watch me and make sure that I don't, because it may cost me. It almost did on my last quest." He said, remembering the Boar. He intertwined his fingers and looked with cold eyes "And if push comes to shove, and you betray me, I won't hesitate to hit back...." He said as he smirked, looking slightly evil. I soon realised that that sounded too dark, and I just laughed happily

"But I know you wouldn't do that! I trust you with my life!" He said as he smiled

It seemed that the boy understood her way of thinking, but just couldn’t agree with her opinion. She knew that might be the case, after all, he’d known Ariel far longer and had built a friendship with the lady so he was inclined to think better of her. However, Azazel knew what she saw, and from where she sat, things were not all right with their “kingâ€. Despite disagreeing with her views, the boy still wished to train with her, and hard. She didn’t mind his enthusiasm but she did not want the foolish thing to endanger himself as he did the other day in the woods.

“I can’t have you acting rashly or working yourself to exhaustion, you’ll be no good to me or yourself if you push too hard. You’ll get there. It’ll take time.†She explained.

It was then that the boy locked eyes with her. His sweet expression melted into a rather dark one as his words took a rather interesting turn. "And if push comes to shove, and you betray me, I won't hesitate to hit back...." Anna smirked at the boy’s words. She never very well that he meant them, but she also could see in his young eyes that he was no killer.

"But I know you wouldn't do that! I trust you with my life!" He said to her as he smiled.

“You’re safe with me,†she said and smiled. 

Hikoru smiled as he knew that he was safe. He looked to his right, and saw a waitress coming his way. He nodded as he moved his arms back as she set down his and Azazel's plate. He nodded as a thanks, and she nodded, with a slight wink, and Hikoru blushed slightly and looked down at his food. After the waiter had left, he looked back at Azazel

"So what will we do once I become your Protege? Like, for training I mean...." He said as he picked up his sandwhich and ate it, taking a bite of the delicious and juicy food, which he knew wasn't real, but it tasted as if it was. He sighed and put it down, letting the chunk of burger go down to his stomach to dissolve into pixels.